AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-15, 22:04   Link #61
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBear
Just wondering, is there anywhere we can listen to previous enteries??
Old 2009-11-15, 23:15   Link #62
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Awww my competitions are fun? That's something I never knew as mine are just thrown at random times because of random factors. At least is a motivator of sorts to continue, eh?
As for previous entries, the files can be found here http://tracker.animesuki.info:3636/
If you have trouble downloading them through the torrent, just say so and people will make sure to post it in other sites.
And Fome is recording something? Oooooh can't wait! I wonder if is going to be something that requires a lot of screaming skills again.
And yet again, my typing skills has gone down the drain at this time of the night. I don't think I remember what I wanted to type next... Meh.
*goes back to her anime music folder to dig up something nice to record
Old 2009-11-16, 05:56   Link #63
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
o.O what'd I do?

I can't even find a karaoke track for the song I wanna do....

rofl

not to mention Duhrama up the yin yang distracting me from even the thought of singing...
Prepare for this thing, via your FB status during your 100F+ fever, I figured you were delusional since you've not been resting much.

As it was, went off with my mate, more or less turned out as so:

*tries to sing*
Lungs: Woman, you crazy!?
*Ends up incredibly short of breath, can't hold long notes, but continues to sing regardless*
Voicebox: Woman, you crazy!?
*Voice breaks at times, but continues to sing regardless...*

You get the picture, lol. - After 2hrs, I was singing/feeling better but until my airways clear up, uh no attempts of entries are happening anytime soon.

But at least now, I have an idea of a few songs that I pulled off pretty well, we'll see how it goes.
December 8th, should be the deadline, iirc....

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 08:18   Link #64
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

For those who do not know how to use your diaphragm to sing, here is something you can try :

1. Make sure you are not too full
2. Keep inhaling air into your tummy.
3. Open your mouth wide and make some sound by pushing air out of your stomach.
4. Use your hands to choke yourself APPROPRIATELY to reach higher pitches, cease when you feel queasy.

Give it a try.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 09:04   Link #65
Hourai Rabbit
Blissfully Ignorant

I'm failing horribly at using Audacity to splice stuff...can't get it to sync up properly. Does anyone have tips for recording/final touches for a complete noob?

Spoiler:
Old 2009-11-16, 09:58   Link #66
Langknow

Hey guys,

I'm excited for the comp as all of you guys.

I noticed some posts ago, people looking for the karaoke track of certain songs, and it hasn't been mentioned yet, but I use Nipponsei to get all my songs and karaoke tracks.

Nipponsei has a website, but I mostly use their archive bot, and newer bots to get the songs. The songs usually are good quality and come with the karaoke track most of the time.

What I'm currently doing is I would "sing along" with the original track in Audacity, and then just add the karaoke track afterwards, and remove the original song.

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 08:22   Link #67
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourai Rabbit View Post
I'm failing horribly at using Audacity to splice stuff...can't get it to sync up properly. Does anyone have tips for recording/final touches for a complete noob?

Spoiler:
Use the karaoke track and time the lyrics properly. Works better if you got the romanised lyrics.

Personally I would suggest you sing one part by one part, then merge them up with with Audacity.

Though I would suggest you use Adobe Audition.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 10:01   Link #68
Langknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Use the karaoke track and time the lyrics properly. Works better if you got the romanised lyrics.

Personally I would suggest you sing one part by one part, then merge them up with with Audacity.

Are we allowed to do that?

I thought the song had to be sung in "one take", meaning it had to be sung the whole thing without stopping and editing it??

Old 2009-11-17, 14:57   Link #69
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

This advice would contradict one of kcl's rules - the song must be sung in one take. Which is in tune with the essence of karaoke. Otherwise it would be more like a studio recording. However, if you do the recording in parts practice right kcl cannot tell if it was sung in one take or not. Therefore the rule is a little bit iffy, not because of its' reasoning but because of its' implementation and verifiability.

edit:

@Langknow,

ditto
Old 2009-11-17, 21:16   Link #70
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Actually there are ways to tell if a song was recorded line by line then merged. I wouldn't want to encounter something like that though, because that defies the whole purpose of this. As I said eons ago, if I wanted to listen to some perfect recording of people singing, I can just listen to any one of the thousand tracks that are out there that the music recording companies churn out.

Merging the vocal that was recorded in one take with the karaoke track is fine btw.
Old 2009-11-17, 22:32   Link #71
Fome

The problem is that people can erroneously judge a vocal track to be made of several takes merged together, when it really isn't. Most of you that record a lot have probably noticed that your voice changes considerably as you start singing, get warmed up, and eventually tire out. Additional factors like varying distance from the mic, both intentional and unintentional, can make certain parts suddenly jump in and out and sound as if it were multiple takes. The very act of "looking" for the offending entries makes it more likely that you'll accuse someone falsely. Unless you are an experienced recording technician, it's unlikely that you can accurately distinguish a single take from multiple takes.

Honestly though, as Kcl has emphasized, trying to look for the offending entries destroys the mood of this contest.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 07:27   Link #72
GipFace

If you really, really care about all this, then have everyone submit the vocal track along with the entry. No one has a perfect recording environment, so it would be a matter of carefully listening to the white noise and trying to spot any funny inconsistencies.

But yeah, this is for fun, and I don't think an entry has ever been DQed. Don't think about it too much.
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 15:04   Link #73
Kaetemi
Kaetemi
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Kaetemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl822 View Post
5. No special effects of any kind, including modulation, special effects, or pitch tweaking. Did I mention no special effects of any kind?
Is noise removal ok?

(and pitch boosting ftw! )
Kaetemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 00:46   Link #74
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaetemi View Post
Is noise removal ok?

(and pitch boosting ftw! )
It falls under the 'effects' menu in Audacity, so no?
good question tho, however overuse of noise removal weakens your voice, so it can work against you.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 02:45   Link #75
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBear
Argh, looks like I won't be able to enter, cold's not getting any better T_T
Old 2009-11-24, 23:45   Link #76
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Light noise removal, fine. Pitch boosting... fine, just don't overdo it or it'll kill the whole thing.

Random note. I finally got around to learn the lyrics of the song that I like as so many others have taken the ones that I wanted to (*shakes fists). Will have to start recording next week after turkey day though... So much work again. Gaah!
Old 2009-11-25, 00:25   Link #77
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

*snickersnort* I still can't find a karaoke version so Audacity'll have to do... I've always hated the "tinny" sound it makes it due to the inverted track though...

meh...

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 03:07   Link #78
Kaetemi
Kaetemi
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Kaetemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
however overuse of noise removal weakens your voice, so it can work against you.
Well, the main source of noise on my system comes from the electronical components, you know that buzzing sound. What I do is record on two tracks at the same time, one containing the microphone signal with electronical component noise, the other one only contains the electronical component noise. When I invert the second track signal, and put it together with the first track signal, the buzzing noise is gone, only leaving the voice and some minor background noise, which can for the most part be filtered out using a low pass filter around 3-5kHz.

As for the pitch thing, that was meant as a joke.

Will be trying some more songs out this weekend, and then pick whatever works best.
Kaetemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 11:45   Link #79
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

How do you efficiently remove noise anyway, I'm such a newbie when it comes to Audacity or any other recording program.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 15:51   Link #80
Langknow

Just sent my entry today, can't wait for it....

Tags
karaoke competition