AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Series rating for Naruto
10 out of 10: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 8 10.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 22.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 31.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 11.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 13.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 5.26%
4 out of 10 : Mediocre 1 1.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.63%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Dociousaliexpilisticfragicalirupes 1 1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-11-09, 03:45   Link #21
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Georgia, Tbilisi
6/10

It lost me once it decided to do Bleach style CERO fights, or rather should I say, Dragon Ball fights. I liked Naruto because of the Ninja aspect and I feel like that has been completely eliminated in Shippuden. For what it's worth, I did like the final fight with Sasuke, because of the hand to hand combat.

And another thing, nearly everyone in part 1, the kids, didn't have a proper story in Shippuden and that really upsets me.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 17:39   Link #22
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 33
I'm giving it a 7/10 including an extra point for the nostalgia factor. Overall, Naruto really wasn't a very good shounen manga.

Part 1 was excellent and easily outshined a lot of other shounen manga. Although it peaked very early with the Zabuza arc (it absolutely blew me away the first time I watched it ten years ago, and it was most likely the arc that got me back into anime and manga), the rest of part 1 didn't let up all that much and was full of powerful moments. It had a great cast filled with endearing characters, a marvelous world begging to be explored further, amazing battles that relied quite a bit on strategy, and emotional moments. I remember it very fondly and I'd love to read/watch it again if I manage to find the time. I would have remembered Naruto as a great manga, near perfect in fact, if it had ended there. Unfortunately, there was still about 2/3 of the manga left.

Part 2 is almost the polar opposite of part 1. It represents everything that is bad in battle shounen. The previous cast we came to know and love during part 1 was forgotten (save for Shikamaru, none of the kids got the chance to truly shine and were in fact completely irrelevant), the big villain of part 1 got treated like garbage and tossed aside, power levels increased immensely until they reached a ridiculous level, and characters were written horribly. What I particularly disliked is that part 2 shat on part 1's philosophy. That talk about hard work being able to surpass genius and inherited talent, and the one about being able to change your fate? Complete bullshit. Naruto turned out to have inherited absurdly strong chakra from his mother, he was foretold to be Ninja Jesus by frogs, AND he also turned out to be the reincarnation of the son of God. That's not to say Naruto never needed to work to get where he is now, but man, he sure received a lot of nice gifts at birth. Thankfully, there were still characters like Guy and Lee in the manga, but the main character should have been the one to embody this message. I feel the story would have been a lot more meaningful if Naruto had truly been born a loser who eventually managed to rise up to very top of the world thanks to his perseverance. That's what really attracted me to the manga in the first place, and what made Naruto different from a lot of protagonists. Being special thanks to Kyuubi -which was more of a curse than a bane for Naruto initially- should have been more enough. I really don't get why Kishimoto felt the need to include all that.

When I think about it, the only arc I really liked in part 2 was the Pain arc, but then Kishimoto just had to end it in the worst way possible. That's the point I truly gave up on Naruto ever returning to its former greatness. Everything that followed was absolutely horrible. Sasuke's character became a caricature, I couldn't take him seriously after he went full DARKNESS. The war, which should have been the climax of the series, was handled in the worst way possible. It was the perfect opportunity to bring the old characters from part 1 back into the spotlight, but they were ignored once again. It dragged on for ages and ages, focusing on fights nobody gave a damn about. The reveal of Tobi's identity, which was hyped to be massive, turned out to be the most predictable twist of all time (people called it the moment Tobi got introduced, like 8 years before) and destroyed what was once an intriguing and charismatic villain and the best antagonist Kishimoto had created in part 2. I stopped caring after that and only kept reading to find out how it would end. I was actually rather satisfied with the actual ending save for the fact it was rushed and plenty of characters were forgotten, but I've gotten used to that.

I could expand on this even more but there's really no point. I already spent too much time writing this.

If I had to rate the parts individually: 9/10 for part 1, 4/10 for part 2. If I had to sum up the manga in two words: wasted potential.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 21:12   Link #23
Shinagami
Rubiks Cube
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Mars
Age: 23
^LMAO so hard!!! This loser whos a Ninja jesus foretold by frogs and the son of god LOL.
Shinagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 22:29   Link #24
danielevo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Well, i think what make me become naruto's fans is because of the jutsu, i always curious about new character and enemies that have new and cool jutsu, but in the war arc, we just see the same jutsu until the chapter end, i think that is why naruto ending look bad.. But overall,, naruto is really really awesome anime,, every character, jutsu and enemies have their own unique.. and especially naruto himself.. he never give up until the very end, that badass.. well,, once again thanks to Masashi Kishimoto ^^
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 19:22   Link #25
Bonta Kun
Know who you are
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
6/10

It lost me once it decided to do Bleach style CERO fights, or rather should I say, Dragon Ball fights. I liked Naruto because of the Ninja aspect and I feel like that has been completely eliminated in Shippuden. For what it's worth, I did like the final fight with Sasuke, because of the hand to hand combat.

And another thing, nearly everyone in part 1, the kids, didn't have a proper story in Shippuden and that really upsets me.
This here about sums up what I think of Naruto, I liked the actually ninja fights at the begining where tactics and what we all know of the "ninja world" was happening but then it went all "my super attack is more powerful than your super attack"
Some of that excitement had been lost over the course of the series cause it leant more towards using these super attacks rather than some good old tree log swapping and shit.

Overall a good read but could have been alot better in part 2.

Regardless looking forward to Kishimoto's next work whatever it may be.
__________________
Bonta Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 01:49   Link #26
cyberdemon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I read this an wow:

Spoiler for impressive:
__________________
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-16, 02:03   Link #27
LevelSeven
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
I read this an wow:

Spoiler for impressive:
I have NEVER seen such a hugh amount of BS

God, who thought that this would be funny? Cancer isnt funny, and people dying isnt funny too

The last quote from the mother forced me to facepalm
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 01:55   Link #28
Alchemist007
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 31
Overall...8/10.

I liked the arcs, the characters, the twists for the most part. Some things are left unresolved or unanswered but that's to be expected.
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 07:56   Link #29
Alena_92
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
I read this an wow:

Spoiler for impressive:
that is just so sad. RIP to the fan. I wish he could have stayed longer to watch the movie. he could have been more happier.
Alena_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 14:33   Link #30
LevelSeven
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alena_92 View Post
that is just so sad. RIP to the fan. I wish he could have stayed longer to watch the movie. he could have been more happier.
what if, if he was a die hard narutoxsakura fan?
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 19:32   Link #31
bunny_lover
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
One of the longest ending I've read from start to finish, 72 volumes and 700 chapters in total. To be honest, I actually first got to know Naruto through its anime, almost 10 years ago (grade 4-5, now in university 3rd year). I think I've started the manga maybe 2-3 years later. It had been one of the only manga that I followed for some time before I read more diversely in the medium.

Well I don't really want to pass judgement since I feel like there is no point to rate things that attach strong nostalgic childhood values to them. I'll just mention the sales figure for naruto manga. According to Wikipedia, it is the 3rd best-selling manga in the world, after one piece and dragon ball, 205 million copies in total around the world. Now assume each copy sell for 420 yen. 205 million x 420 yen = 86,100,000,000 yen, equivalent of $735 million USD.

That's just fucking crazy. I think we should all respect this manga that generated so much revenue around the world just through sale of manga. Critical reviews can come later.
bunny_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 09:11   Link #32
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 35
6/10

Honestly think Shippuden overall was a letdown, while it did have its good, I think the bad overtook it. The sheer amount of jutsu porn and asspulls towards the end did not help in the slightest.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-20, 07:13   Link #33
Alena_92
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
what if, if he was a die hard narutoxsakura fan?
well, at least it would have prolonged his life.. lets just hope he is a NaruHina fan like us
Alena_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-20, 13:19   Link #34
yakumo-chan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Behind You!
Age: 29
it was ok, the ending is a little bit of dissapointment because the ending seems to be only about the pairings and stuff
__________________
yakumo-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-20, 14:06   Link #35
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
it was ok, the ending is a little bit of dissapointment because the ending seems to be only about the pairings and stuff
the ending of the shippuuden timeline is chapter 699. 700 is the start of the new series.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 13:01   Link #36
Rurik
Golden
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 9th Temple
Age: 41
I voted 6, while first part was a 9, after timeskip, I felt the manga was going downhill, and came to a point where Sasuke goal didnt make any sense in the context of what was going on around, a lot of Deux and cop-outs where happening left and right just for the sake on continuing the manga and at the end it felt like it was dragging.

Regardless it was a wonderful ride, and This was my first time I started reading a Manga almost since start and read it until its end.
__________________
"when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-17, 16:32   Link #37
GusGus
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First part was really great, I realy liked it, it had a very unique style in a shounen context.

Second part was good at the beginning, Sakura/Chiyo fight was epic; Asuma's death, Giraya's death, akatsuki's members, etc. But then Naruto became frog jesus, got frog mode in three days, beat Pain just because, and just everything went down hill after that. The war arc was a big offender, with Neji's death, naruto beating every big enemy and the rest of the characters being just a fucking cheerleader squad; it makes me want to puke.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 02:58   Link #38
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
A little bit of background with my experience of Naruto: watched the anime when it first came out in English dub, watched up to essentially the ending of Part 1, stopping at the waterfall fight, and after waiting a while and learning that Naruto was STILL chasing after Sasuke who had by that point become OP (this was around the point where Naruto and Sakura met up with him at Orochu;s lair), I vowed I wouldn't touch this series again unless it had what I would personally qualify as a good ending. So, fast forward to learning about the end, and for the past few weeks, I read the manga in just about one go, from beginning to end. Since I haven't participated in any discussion along the way, you'll have to pardon my thoughts about everything in this post (hence why I have a spoiler tag)
Spoiler for An semi-in-depth review:


For those who don't want to open the tag, here's the tl;dr: part was mostly good, Kishimoto loves his villains and anyone named Uchiha, always making sure there's a cop-out, the war arc dragged forever but with a few good moments, the Pain and Kaguya arcs were among my favorites, and Uchihas need to learn to get over things and not destroy the world. Oh, and this went down the DBZ route of power-ups.

Overall, I'm going to give this a 7/10.
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 12:53   Link #39
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
^ i disagree with your main premise that naruto should have gotten over sasuke. that was clearly one of the over-arching themes of the story. that friends don't and shouldn't give up on other friends. we saw the failures with hashirama/madara, jiraiya/orochimaru and eventually obito/kakashi and how each character reflected on their pasts and wished they could have had naruto's resolve and did what he did with sasuke.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 14:22   Link #40
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Fair point... I guess it can be argued that one of the big things was naruto making up for all the past failures of the other characters. However, I'm just used to my shounen series having a series of villains that get defeated during each of their arcs or shortly thereafter, not spending an entire manga series to defeat someone who should've been defeated much earlier on.
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.