AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-12-02, 15:52   Link #21
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Also, China is building a naval base on Sri Lanka, and is negotiating bases in Indonesia and Madagascar(Another former French territory). Even rumors of negotiations with Cuba and Venezuela, but if they got that close to America, I wonder what the US government would do.
China is helping Sri Lanka to build a naval base, and there are similar projects in Burma and Pakistan. But as pointed out earlier, there is no known Chinese military bases outside its boarders, and I don't see why it need such things now. Even if there is such a need, how can China support such things: if a base is attacked, then what? Neither the Chinese navy or the air force has the capability to reach that far. A Base on Sri Lanka is even less feasible, unless they want a war with India.

Base in Indonesia? Come on, Man. Indonesia has some riots targeting Chinese descendants after the south east asia financial crisis in the late 90s. China also supported the independence of East Timor. The relations have improved, but military base?
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 17:12   Link #22
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Long term planning? Their navy is expanding in the larger power projection model direction with their projected 5 aircraft carriers.
Old 2011-12-02, 19:24   Link #23
AnimeFan188

The shadow war in Syria

"Target Syria - the strategic prize that outstrips Libya. The stage is set. The stakes
couldn't be higher. Libya 2.0 equals Syria? It's more like Libya 2.0 remix. With the
same R2P (''responsibility to protect'') rationale - starring civilians bombed into
''democracy''. But with no UN Security Council resolution (Russia and China will veto
it). Instead, Turkey shines, fanning the flames of civil war."

See:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/ML02Ak01.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 21:53   Link #24
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Well let's see--oppressive dictator uses military force to crush dissidents? Just remove his military forces via a few well-placed bombs. I don't know about you, but look at what NATO did in Libya. I think we won some goodwill there, and didn't take a single foot on the ground, except for the time when an F-15E crashed due to mechanical failures.
Old 2011-12-03, 03:58   Link #25
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

^ Many belive than there was members of some special forces at least giving training if not more , on libyan. And to think than it will need only a fews bombs, even well placed... you will need more than that.
Old 2011-12-04, 18:08   Link #26
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
China is helping Sri Lanka to build a naval base, and there are similar projects in Burma and Pakistan. But as pointed out earlier, there is no known Chinese military bases outside its boarders, and I don't see why it need such things now. Even if there is such a need, how can China support such things: if a base is attacked, then what? Neither the Chinese navy or the air force has the capability to reach that far. A Base on Sri Lanka is even less feasible, unless they want a war with India.

Base in Indonesia? Come on, Man. Indonesia has some riots targeting Chinese descendants after the south east asia financial crisis in the late 90s. China also supported the independence of East Timor. The relations have improved, but military base?
You have to look in the long run. Within a few decades China will have the capability to put its military anywhere in the world. The US is falling(And may even break apart) and while Britain does have the ability to put its military anywhere in in the world, they would not be able to counter China.

30-40 years, China will be the 'peacekeeping' force being sent to third worlds and such.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 18:41   Link #27
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
30-40 years, China will be the 'peacekeeping' force being sent to third worlds and such.
I wonder if they really what the ''job'' with all the responsibility and such, or only the ''status''.
Old 2011-12-04, 19:34   Link #28
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends. China historically has be rather inward looking rather than outward looking. "Everyone goes to China" therefore China needs not go to anyone else.
Old 2011-12-04, 19:47   Link #29
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
You have to look in the long run. Within a few decades China will have the capability to put its military anywhere in the world. The US is falling(And may even break apart) and while Britain does have the ability to put its military anywhere in in the world, they would not be able to counter China.

Not really. Throughout history empires have always been based on "leech economies", thus the need for these empires to go out and seek resources with their armies - i.e "trade with us or die".

China is too self-sufficient to be a leech. Thus it will be difficult for it to have an international empire like the US.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 20:52   Link #30
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Not really. Throughout history empires have always been based on "leech economies", thus the need for these empires to go out and seek resources with their armies - i.e "trade with us or die".

China is too self-sufficient to be a leech. Thus it will be difficult for it to have an international empire like the US.
Hmm, China has been doing a lot in Africa though...

And it also needs Oil too...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 21:40   Link #31
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Hmm, China has been doing a lot in Africa though...

And it also needs Oil too...
At least it's only buying out for now, they haven't started to take by force yet...
Old 2011-12-04, 22:20   Link #32
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
At least it's only buying out for now, they haven't started to take by force yet...
Who needs to when you can buy a dictator and have him at your beck and call? Much cheaper then troops...
Old 2011-12-04, 22:22   Link #33
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
With regards to oil, UK is the biggest winner thanks to Shell, all the closing prices of crude come from UK.

So long as China doesn't invade UK or buy out the ICE or Brent, they would need alternative energy for the long run.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-12-04, 22:34   Link #34
Tom Bombadil

Let's agree that whether China will have military projection capability in another decade (optimistically speaking) is not much of relevance to global or local power balance today, and even less relevance to this thread.

As for the Syria situation, it is clear that China are against foreign intervention. It is consistent with the Chinese doctrine of valuing sovereignty over everything else. Personally, I don't think China has much interest in Syria, and it doesn't have much influence to wield in that part of the world. However, China will veto UN resolutions sponsored by the west, simply because it doesn't want to see Nato do whatever they like, and more importantly, because Russia will veto it. So it is like a "I scratch your back, and hopefully you'll scratch mine" kind of thing.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 23:13   Link #35
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Let's agree that whether China will have military projection capability in another decade (optimistically speaking) is not much of relevance to global or local power balance today, and even less relevance to this thread.

As for the Syria situation, it is clear that China are against foreign intervention. It is consistent with the Chinese doctrine of valuing sovereignty over everything else. Personally, I don't think China has much interest in Syria, and it doesn't have much influence to wield in that part of the world. However, China will veto UN resolutions sponsored by the west, simply because it doesn't want to see Nato do whatever they like, and more importantly, because Russia will veto it. So it is like a "I scratch your back, and hopefully you'll scratch mine" kind of thing.
I think it's a matter of upholding precendent, more then anything else.

It doesn't want other countries meddling in it's own affairs, so it vetoes all meddling, unless under the most severe circumstances.
Old 2011-12-04, 23:52   Link #36
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

What is the current situation in Syria?
Old 2011-12-04, 23:52   Link #37
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
It doesn't want other countries meddling in it's own affairs, so it vetoes all meddling, unless under the most severe circumstances.
Unless I am mistaken, they pretty much vetoed allmeddling exept Libya and ,if not mistaken, Kosovo, right ?
Old 2011-12-05, 00:22   Link #38
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, they pretty much vetoed allmeddling exept Libya and ,if not mistaken, Kosovo, right ?
Indeed, severe circumstances. I don't really keep track of these things myself, so you'd be better off asking someone more knowledgeable then I.

The stance they take is the only way they're able to continue their human rights abuses and certain suspect activities. It's a fairly consistent position, anyway. "We don't delve into your matters, you don't delve into ours". Minding your own business isn't such a bad thing anyway.
Old 2011-12-05, 00:27   Link #39
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Minding your own business isn't such a bad thing anyway.
I would usualy agree on this but the fact than they got their veto put them in a position opposite to that.
Old 2011-12-05, 01:08   Link #40
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Minding your own business isn't such a bad thing anyway.
Only if it doesn't affect you during the rest of your lifetime. Unfortunately, there is something called globalisation that made MYOB a stupid thing to do......and thankfully, it forces us to be more mindful of our actions towards others.