AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-02-10, 21:15   Link #5181
gordol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
After all the crap they've pulled up to this point, I more or less demand that they give us unique Gundams. 90% of all the "new" characters introduced look like carbon copies of the old cast already. If the suits are copies of the old ones, too, people will be pissed. Rightfully so. (though I guess it would be kinda hilarious)

I don't mind if the new suits pay homage to the old ones. But if Snow White turns out to be Wing Zero with different weapons and a slightly different paint job... well, let's just say I'm not reading the novel for its amazing story.

Talking about the story, I just read through the (horribly google translated) 20th chapter. From what I could make out, there's some dude called Bill Maxwell (or something along those lines; the Chinese pronunciation sounds like "beer Maxwell") who is a distant relative of Eric Shergold? I believe it says something about him being on L2 doing volunteer charity work, so there's reason to believe that man is Father Maxwell.

Also, Sabrina gave birth to her daughter when she was 17. Meaning she was at most about 16 when she married Eric.
...No wonder that second pic looks to me like the cover to some weird TreizexRelena lolicon doujin. It's called 'jail bait' for a reason, Sumizawa. >_>
All the Gundams are guaranteed to look the same, look at Prometheus. It's just the EW versions with added gimmicks...
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 10:36   Link #5182
Eeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
All the Gundams are guaranteed to look the same, look at Prometheus. It's just the EW versions with added gimmicks...
Well said Gordol!

Quote:
Talking about the story, I just read through the (horribly google translated) 20th chapter. From what I could make out, there's some dude called Bill Maxwell (or something along those lines; the Chinese pronunciation sounds like "beer Maxwell") who is a distant relative of Eric Shergold? I believe it says something about him being on L2 doing volunteer charity work, so there's reason to believe that man is Father Maxwell.
This new Maxwell can't be Father Maxwell, Sumizawa already said that he was named James Maxwell... and we had a ball about how the real James Maxwell (a scientist nonetheless!) was happily married to a Catherine.

Now, if they're trying to say that Duo's real biological father was a dude named Bill Maxwell then... then... WOW! What a freackin' coincidence! I'd throw my arms up in the air and just accept the fact that Dekim Barton or some other Barton is Trowa's biological parent! Same goes for Heero, he probably really is a Yuy!

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 12:13   Link #5183
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post
This new Maxwell can't be Father Maxwell, Sumizawa already said that he was named James Maxwell...
Ah wait, no. You're talking about James Clerk Maxwell. At first we thought it was Father Maxwell, but it turned out to be the name Duo had to sign the divorce papers with, because that was the name Hilde chose for him in the marriage certificate ...for whatever reason.

Spoiler for excerpt:

Quote:
Now, if they're trying to say that Duo's real biological father was a dude named Bill Maxwell then... then... WOW! What a freakin' coincidence! I'd throw my arms up in the air and just accept the fact that Dekim Barton or some other Barton is Trowa's biological parent! Same goes for Heero, he probably really is a Yuy!
Well, of course! You see, Bill had an affair with some woman when he was younger, leaving her pregnant. Once he found out, he left her. But then he started to feel bad, so he became a priest to make up for it. Some years later, his own son ended up in his church and took Bill's last name as his own after he died. And that's why Duo bears that coat of arms! Because he's related to Shergold! It all makes sense!
Sumizawa, you sly dog! You had this planned out 20 years beforehand!

And c'mon, Heero being a Yuy is a given. Probably even Heero Yuy, after his grandpa. This novel is not gonna end until it's revealed that Heero and Relena are cousins. I'm betting bottom dollar here!
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 11:52   Link #5184
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

So, um, wait. James "Clerk" xD More Katrina/Katerina/Catherine(a) naming madness.
Lolicon and teen pregnancy. Scuse me; what.

I'm trying so hard not to laugh.

Every time I visit this thread, I
a) want to gouge my eyes out (thanks Eeni <3 )
b) cry
c) contemplate whether or not I should get a fringe cut again, because that's the only valuable thing that can come from a million, albeit pretty, but rather repetitive pics of Katrina, Sabrina, Relena, everyone else who looks exactly like them. I still can't tell who is who, nor do I want to.

And wth is this Sherwood forest? I missed the inclusion of Robin Hood? -sigh.

I, too, am waiting for the reveal that R&1 are cousins. Or long lost siblings. No, I can't put it past this Sumizawa character and his bong.

-____- sad times. This novel always leads to sad times.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 12:52   Link #5185
Javiersansano

Quote:
After all the crap they've pulled up to this point, I more or less demand that they give us unique Gundams. 90% of all the "new" characters introduced look like carbon copies of the old cast already. If the suits are copies of the old ones, too, people will be pissed. Rightfully so. (though I guess it would be kinda hilarious)

I don't mind if the new suits pay homage to the old ones. But if Snow White turns out to be Wing Zero with different weapons and a slightly different paint job... well, let's just say I'm not reading the novel for its amazing story.

Also, Sabrina gave birth to her daughter when she was 17. Meaning she was at most about 16 when she married Eric.
...No wonder that second pic looks to me like the cover to some weird TreizexRelena lolicon doujin. It's called 'jail bait' for a reason, Sumizawa. >_>
hehm hehm... even though they are different timelines, we have in UC Quess aiming for char, riddhe aiming mineva... actually, after watching up to Unicorn, I tried to remember if pedophilia had been touched in wing, and according to my memory banks, it had not, at least until the Heero Yui x Katrina, he former being a college student and the latter a high school student...
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 19:39   Link #5186
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
So, um, wait. James "Clerk" xD More Katrina/Katerina/Catherine(a) naming madness.
Lolicon and teen pregnancy. Scuse me; what.
Yup. Frozen Teardrop's very own "16 and Pregnant". Coming up next: Marticus imprinting on baby Katrina in Twilight fashion.

And yes, you read that right. Sabrina, whose official name now is "Katrina," named her daughter Katrina(/Katerina?) after her own sister Katrina. That currently makes ...7 Catherines or variants in total featured in this novel. Plus a hidden one, since James Clerk Maxwell (the real person) was married to a Catherine.

Quote:
And wth is this Sherwood forest? I missed the inclusion of Robin Hood? -sigh.
You're late, we're further already. For the heck of it, so far we've had: The Sleeping Beauty (Princess Aurora), The Little Prince (the other capsule), Snow White (best Gundam name ever), One Thousand and One Nights (Scheherazade), The Wonderful Wizard of Oz ("Somewhere Over The Rainbow," among other things), Robin Hood (the Sherwood Forest base), Cinderella (Katrina, complete with pumpkin chariot in the form of the Jack-o'-lantern tanks) and the Little Red Riding Hood (Naina and Duo).
Special mention goes to Greek and Norse mythology (Prometheus/Phobos/Cyrene/etc. and Fenrir) and Casablanca ("Play it once, Sam"). Pretty sure I still missed a bunch.

Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon and Soul Eater may also qualify, seeing as there are loads of card game refs, a digital cat doubling as ZERO system and Katrina's partner and Mille supporting a battling Quatrine with his piano, which is more or less a direct rip from this.
And considering the a**pulls left and right, one might also list Alice in Wonderland. Or Lucy in the Sky of Diamonds. Actually, I think there was something about hatters and March hares mentioned in the Duo vs. Naina fight...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
hehm hehm... even though they are different timelines, we have in UC Quess aiming for char, riddhe aiming mineva... actually, after watching up to Unicorn, I tried to remember if pedophilia had been touched in wing, and according to my memory banks, it had not, at least until the Heero Yui x Katrina, he former being a college student and the latter a high school student...
That... doesn't make it better? It just shows that all Gundams are messed up.

But in all seriousness. Quess and Char doesn't really count, since it's a younger girl (cough 13??) crushing on an older man. It's not like Char had any interest in her (I hope, I haven't watched CCA). Younger folks being into older folks is okay, heck even normal (as long as they aren't old enough to be one's parent >_>).
Now, Riddhe and Mineva is not without misgivings, but a) he didn't get her and b) as far as the anime is concerned, his obsession with her came outta left field anyway. They spoke, what, three words to each other and he's already declaring his undying love for her? I haven't read the novels but I hope they do a better job there.

As for FT, I looked up everyone's ages; Heero is stated to be four years older than Katrina and Eric is 15 years older than Sabrina. Making Heero 19, Eric 30 and the Peacecraft twins 15 when they all first meet each other.

And here's where it begins to gross me out. Heero and Katrina I don't mind, since four years are laughable and Heero didn't hit on Katrina anyway. Even if Katrina wanted him to lol.
Eric on the other hand was instantly smitten with a teenager, going so far as to get Sabrina's entire freaking country out of its debt with his own money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she even married him because of his money? She had the hots for Heero, too, after all. Anyway. Presented like this, Eric totally comes off as an ephebophile. I have a huge problem with that. I mean, imagine your teenage daughter telling you she's in love with a guy a few years younger than yourself. And she says that the guy loves her, too. Would you give them your blessings? Or would you punch the guy's face in?

Really, why Sumizawa has to go and make things sick is beyond me. Three years wouldn't have made a difference. :/
And yes, I know I'm reading way too much into this stupid thing, but... I teach kids that age. I'd hurl if I started to feel attracted to any of them (and I'm only in my mid-twenties).

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2013-02-12 at 20:05. Reason: grammar fail
Old 2013-02-12, 21:23   Link #5187
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Scuse me. Going by Gundam (crack ^^) logic, this dude here:
Spoiler for big image:

is the only one who could legitimately walk in Char's, erm, more questionable footsteps. Just saying :P
Some random impregnating (!!!) Katrina Mk. 2390 is just a weird, creepy pedo, period. And the whole thing is just pretty repulsive, not comparable to Char at all- who last time I checked didn't impregnate the Quesses of this world.
The Riddhe and Mineva thing... is still nothing like this. I doubt he had plans for impregnation either.
So yeah, I'm with Ikuze, this whole business is gross.
Though it's the marriage and pregnancies I really draw the line at. Because, as a self respecting female, I am just nauseated by the thought.

@Ikuze: Thanks for te refresher. Some of this, I tried to forget very hard xD I don't even care anymore to figure out which Katrina they're speaking about at any given moment. It's just too ridiculous... you don't give two people in a novel the same name... LET ALONE MULTIPLES. Who also all look exactly alike. Who sanctioned that?
And yeah, there were Alice references what with Naina being the Queen of Hearts, or piloting one or whatever.
Next we learn that the real name of the Peacecrafts is Targaryen and Noin is a crazy horse barbarian.
<____< I don't even.
Old 2013-02-13, 06:29   Link #5188
wingzerosnuggles

Ok so I recently got PayPal and I'm considering buying the novels then scanning them to share the raws with everyone. However, if Zeonic Scanlations still intends to translate the novels, I wouldn't be opposed to just donating the money there. Is Zeonic Scanlations still planning to translate the novels?
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 10:40   Link #5189
Mareike

Err. Am I the only one not bothered by the age difference between Eric and Sabrina? :\ It's not like their sort of relationship and union never happened in real life. So for that to come into fiction, even if it's Gundam Wing, I don't find it alarming at all. I mean, yeah, I get that it's not entirely acceptable in today's society, but then the GW world is different...

On a sidenote, the A Song of Ice and Fire series is full of that sort, and I could just imagine the cast of Gundam Wing in that world what with all that's happening.

Last edited by Mareike; 2013-02-13 at 11:20.
Mareike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 20:06   Link #5190
Eeni

Quote:
Ah wait, no. You're talking about James Clerk Maxwell. At first we thought it was Father Maxwell, but it turned out to be the name Duo had to sign the divorce papers with, because that was the name Hilde chose for him in the marriage certificate ...for whatever reason.

Spoiler for excerpt:

Well, of course! You see, Bill had an affair with some woman when he was younger, leaving her pregnant. Once he found out, he left her. But then he started to feel bad, so he became a priest to make up for it. Some years later, his own son ended up in his church and took Bill's last name as his own after he died. And that's why Duo bears that coat of arms! Because he's related to Shergold! It all makes sense!
Sumizawa, you sly dog! You had this planned out 20 years beforehand!

And c'mon, Heero being a Yuy is a given. Probably even Heero Yuy, after his grandpa. This novel is not gonna end until it's revealed that Heero and Relena are cousins. I'm betting bottom dollar here!
I see... thanks for the correction and lil side story there.

I don't understand why Sumizawa would make Hilde so violent. She didn't come off as such in the anime. Sure, she put a gun to Duo's head, but she doesn't seem the kind of character that would have pulled the trigger. There was nothing violent about her. Now she's just that psycho girlfriend you don't want to be around... So, seeing all this abuse and violent nature, I guess Duo isn't such a douche bag for all that crap he did to her, he just didn't want the spousal abuse! Poor Duo, she really is a bully! I mean, she even gave him a name without consulting him about it!

And your welcomed SkullFaerie, I live to throw wrenches into working, complex machines ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
Ok so I recently got PayPal and I'm considering buying the novels then scanning them to share the raws with everyone. However, if Zeonic Scanlations still intends to translate the novels, I wouldn't be opposed to just donating the money there. Is Zeonic Scanlations still planning to translate the novels?
I'm sure Deacon is still doing this, at least for the comic side... but what I would really like is an actually chapter translation of FT. I have an urge to read the exact thing but can't read the language ;_;

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Last edited by Eeni; 2013-02-13 at 20:17.
Old 2013-02-13, 23:29   Link #5191
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
And your welcomed SkullFaerie, I live to throw wrenches into working, complex machines ^_^
Give me moar! Make it burn...!........

Why, people, don't look at me like that, we keep coming back to read this novel of pain, we're all clearly strange.

And I don't get the Hilde thing either. That excerpt alone is really off. But it's not as if everyone isn't acting comletely weird anyways, so it's not a surprise really :/

---

As for Katrina and her stint on teen mom season 15324... yeah, sure, age differences aren't weird in certain settings such as Thrones or anything up until, uhm, the 1900s upwards I guess.
But those are usually NOT happy unions. If you want to quote Daenerys or somesuch, come on. That was odd and very situational. And even then there are psychological concerns involved. That's hardly a happy love story.
These unions are usually arranged and make girls very unhappy.
Also, despite the 1850-1900 touch of GW, it's set in a modern, advanced society with modern gender roles and attitudes, thus the whole thing seems strange, sorry.
Old 2013-02-13, 23:58   Link #5192
FalsePrime

Quote:
Give me moar! Make it burn...!........

Why, people, don't look at me like that, we keep coming back to read this novel of pain, we're all clearly strange.

And I don't get the Hilde thing either. That excerpt alone is really off. But it's not as if everyone isn't acting comletely weird anyways, so it's not a surprise really :/

---

As for Katrina and her stint on teen mom season 15324... yeah, sure, age differences aren't weird in certain settings such as Thrones or anything up until, uhm, the 1900s upwards I guess.
But those are usually NOT happy unions. If you want to quote Daenerys or somesuch, come on. That was odd and very situational. And even then there are psychological concerns involved. That's hardly a happy love story.
Also, despite the 1850-1900 touch of GW, it's set in a modern, advanced society with modern gender roles and attitudes, thus the whole thing seems strange, sorry.
However it still does happen even in todays society. We hear about Younger Women/Men getting married to much older celebs fairly often.

Am I into it? No, but by no means is it something completely out of the realm of acceptiablilty or shocking.

This honestly is another case of something about the novel that is being made into something way bigger then it should be. I have several issues with it like most people, but given how other Gundam novels go this one isn't striking me as anything more offensive then what we get out of stuff like Unicorn.

For instance, Haman was 22 and fell in love with Judau at 14. The gap isnt' as big true, but still it's over half way to Eric and Sabrina age, and that is already to much for me and most people. Yet I don't remember the AGE being the big issue with Haman and Judau.

Last edited by FalsePrime; 2013-02-14 at 00:09.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 05:00   Link #5193
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

As in the above, Haman didn't marry and have kids with Judau- he didn't even return her affections. So that comparison falls completely flat.
Youger celebrities, or any people of age getting married to older men isn't an issue either.
16 year olds getting married to old guys and having their babies is what we're taking issue with.

Do you hear about that happening today? Sure- in unpleasant, illegal, forced marriage or poverty and lack of education or third world contexts.
How many happy, well-adjusted, independent and married teen moms with spouses much older than them do you know? Very few to none, I'd think.
It's odd. Then again, everything in this novel is odd, it's impossible to take seriously anymore, this is just one more weird thing.
Oh well...
Old 2013-02-14, 12:15   Link #5194
FalsePrime

Quote:
As in the above, Haman didn't marry and have kids with Judau- he didn't even return her affections. So that comparison falls completely flat.
Youger celebrities, or any people of age getting married to older men isn't an issue either.
16 year olds getting married to old guys and having their babies is what we're taking issue with.

Do you hear about that happening today? Sure- in unpleasant, illegal, forced marriage or poverty and lack of education or third world contexts.
How many happy, well-adjusted, independent and married teen moms with spouses much older than them do you know? Very few to none, I'd think.
It's odd. Then again, everything in this novel is odd, it's impossible to take seriously anymore, this is just one more weird thing.
Oh well...
I disagree that just because one side doesn't return the affections means the comparision falls flat, it still valid.

As far as real couples? I know two that are married and have children together with age gap being 10 years for one and 12 for the other.

Again this isn't something I would ever want, and I do find it a tad odd. That said, I still think it happens far more often then what your making it out be.
Old 2013-02-14, 14:28   Link #5195
Javiersansano

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
I disagree that just because one side doesn't return the affections means the comparision falls flat, it still valid.

As far as real couples? I know two that are married and have children together with age gap being 10 years for one and 12 for the other.

Again this isn't something I would ever want, and I do find it a tad odd. That said, I still think it happens far more often then what your making it out be.
There are couples with even wider gaps... the point is that, at least, those couples come together when BOTH parts have already come of age.
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 14:40   Link #5196
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
There are couples with even wider gaps... the point is that, at least, those couples come together when BOTH parts have already come of age.
Isn't of Age in Japan considered 15/16?
Old 2013-02-14, 15:12   Link #5197
wingzerosnuggles

Quote:
GW is essentially an alternative history since it begins around 1956 which is the year Romafeller was established according to Battlefield of Pacifists. This may mean altering quite a few events like the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis along with other happenings that may have contributed to the feminist movement. While marriages in the 50's and 60's certainly weren't arranged, they weren't very "happy" either. As technology rapidly developed and wealth grew in After Colony, it wouldn't be too far-fetched for families to want to safeguard their money which would mean pushing their kids in the "right direction" when it comes to love. Face it, when you have money and power, following your heart is usually the one luxury you can't afford and that seems to be the point being made with Sabrina.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 20:28   Link #5198
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
I don't understand why Sumizawa would make Hilde so violent. She didn't come off as such in the anime. [...] Now she's just that psycho girlfriend you don't want to be around...
Uh, Catherine Bloom anyone? She goes from a nice and protective girl, who once beat some sense into a guy because he tried to kill himself, to some savage shrew, who'll punch your face in for calling her old or not saying "Hi."

And do we ever get an explanation for either girls' "character development"? No siree! Sumizawa is too busy trolling us with flashbacks of people who aren't even in the present storyline.

Quote:
So, seeing all this abuse and violent nature, I guess Duo isn't such a douche bag for all that crap he did to her, he just didn't want the spousal abuse! Poor Duo, she really is a bully! I mean, she even gave him a name without consulting him about it!
Can't say I wouldn't have done the same. The guy developed one seriously sh*tty attitude.

You know, I had to reread the part of why those two married, because it's just stupid beyond belief:

Quote:
Really, I'd do whatever it took. I wasn't going to give up on the Ares Hornet ß III engine, no matter what. I wanted to ride across the endless Mars continent.

"Marry me, Hilde! I never noticed that I've loved you all along!!" If I just had a marriage license, then I could combine our assets. If I could just get my partner built, the bike was as good as mine. Frankly, I had a hunch I'd be rejected. But it looked like saying I'd cut my hair had worked."
Putting aside the incredible idiocy that are both their reasons, at first, I thought Duo was a gold digger. Then someone here pointed out that he'd saved money himself, but Hilde took it away from him as a "fee" for his freeloading... Well, turns out Duo is a gold digger and married his bully, so he would keep his money! At least, if the translation is 100% correct.

Really, instead of marrying her, he could've just told her mommy that Hilde was being mean. Would've saved him some trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
Face it, when you have money and power, following your heart is usually the one luxury you can't afford and that seems to be the point being made with Sabrina.
Undoubtedly. I dug up Deacon's post that clearly states it's a marriage of convenience:

Spoiler for old post:

My point is, Sumizawa could have made that point just as easily with Sabrina being 18.

Quote:
This honestly is another case of something about the novel that is being made into something way bigger then it should be. I have several issues with it like most people, but given how other Gundam novels go this one isn't striking me as anything more offensive then what we get out of stuff like Unicorn.
SkullFaerie, you took the words right out of my mouth. "16 year olds getting married to old guys and having their babies is what we're taking issue with." Just this specific case.
You don't even need to look at other series for unusual marriages; Wu Fei and Mei Lan were both underage when they married. Treize fathered Mariemaia when he was 17. And FT aside (I'm not taking that convoluted mess into consideration), King Peacecraft looked as though he was a man well past his prime and considering Zechs' age and everything, I always assumed there was a respectable age difference between him and his wife. You don't see me throwing a hissy fit about any of those though.

The problem with Eric and Sabrina is, that although she was the one to propose (which makes sense, since she's a queen), Eric didn't have to go and immediately bed a minor, even if she was his wife. Never mind getting her pregnant. Heck, where I live that's considered felony. Rightfully so.

By the way, no one here is blowing this subject out of proportions. There simply isn't anything else we can talk about that hasn't been discussed five billion times already. There are no Gundams and no story that actually qualifies as a sequel, just flashbacks, flashbacks and more flashbacks of people most of us STOPPED CARING ABOUT 10 CHAPTERS AGO.

Content aside, I don't know what Sumizawa is thinking, but this approach works neither in a monthly publishing nor in a complete book. You want to tell a story that took place in the past? Do it in one go, don't spring bits of that crap every two chapters at us. I know I'm not the only he aggravates with it. But saying that Sumizawa is a piss-poor writer in that regard is preaching to the choir. It has been done already.
So, Eric the sicko it is (no matter how much Sumizawa tries to justify it by making Sabrina fall in love with him).

Quote:
Isn't of Age in Japan considered 15/16?
It's certainly a popular age to be handed giant machines of destruction to pilot. xD

But I'm fairly surprised to say that the marriageable age in Japan is actually 20. 18 for males and 16 for females if you have the parental consent. What's a lot funnier is that the age in Denmark (where we all know Cinq is supposed to be), is 18. But there's something called "Kongebrev," which translates as "letter from the king [granting an exemption]" that allows you to marry at age 15.

I guess that means Sabrina wrote such a letter for herself when she proposed to Eric.

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2013-02-14 at 20:39.
Old 2013-02-15, 01:10   Link #5199
Eeni

Quote:
I hate to disagree with this. Really, I do... the topic is just too icky to touch even with a 10 ft. pole. I don't think any of us will ever be ok with the huge age gap, but honestly, shit like that happens even now. We have the poster child of HUGE age differences of Anna Nicole Smith that, by all appearances, really loved her hubby who was 60+ years older then her! Then again, the guy died soon after their marriage leaving her a filthy rich widow... There's Sam Taylor-Wood who married a guy a good 20 years younger, and that other actor dude who married a girl once she turned 18 and her mother allowed it (name skips my mind), and if I recall correctly, Hugh Hefner was recently married to a much younger girl. By all appearances, happy marriages (so far...). But by the same token, lets not forget the other end of the spectrum in which Demi Moore goes for Ashton Kutcher and gets her heart broken by the kid. So ya, even if we're uncomfortable with it, it happens.

And I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but for once Sumizawa moved a plotline along. At least, as far as any plot so far is concerned, this marriage was actually an interesting side story. Kathrina/Sabrina/ThatTwin didn't want to marry Eric or even accept his money when first offered. As I remember, please correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm sure I am somewhere), he suggested marriage, she declined, he suggests to give her the money no strings attached, she still declines, and finally accepts to take his money when she was in a dire situation. I can't remember her reason for also accepting the marriage (probably as a thanks for the HUGE help), but she did and since Sumizawa hasn't told us what happened afterwards, I would guess that they lived a long life together.

How's that for flinging wrenches!?!?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Uh, Catherine Bloom anyone? She goes from a nice and protective girl, who once beat some sense into a guy because he tried to kill himself, to some savage shrew, who'll punch your face in for calling her old or not saying "Hi."

And do we ever get an explanation for either girls' "character development"? No siree! Sumizawa is too busy trolling us with flashbacks of people who aren't even in the present storyline.
Totally didn't forget that, but since I was talking about Hilde and the already dead horse topic of Duo-Hilde relationship I just decided to stick to her and her new found fascination with breaking people's bones and making their lives miserable. Ahh, the yaoi fans must be rejoicing with this new depiction of the "couple" and justifying Duo and Heero's love for one another. Now I must go to the bathroom and hurl the contents of my stomach.

Has Duo accepted paternity over Jr. yet? Or is Sumizawa still "trying" to troll us here?

Old 2013-02-15, 20:38   Link #5200
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
And I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but for once Sumizawa moved a plotline along. At least, as far as any plot so far is concerned, this marriage was actually an interesting side story. Kathrina/Sabrina/ThatTwin didn't want to marry Eric or even accept his money when first offered. As I remember, please correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm sure I am somewhere), he suggested marriage, she declined, he suggests to give her the money no strings attached, she still declines, and finally accepts to take his money when she was in a dire situation. I can't remember her reason for also accepting the marriage (probably as a thanks for the HUGE help), but she did and since Sumizawa hasn't told us what happened afterwards, I would guess that they lived a long life together.
Correct you I shall. Just remember to take the following with a grain of salt.

The Alliance and Cinq negotiated an armistice treaty, which included reparations 5x greater than the Cinq Kingdom's available assets. Eric advised Sabrina to sign the treaty nonetheless, then proceeded to pay the debt from his own pocket. When Sabrina visited Eric a month later to ask him about it, he said it was less of a gift and more of an investment in her country, since Cinq would be important for the future (cue philosophical blah). Sabrina left then and Cinquante popped up, who was hiding for some reason, to pull Eric's leg by saying he totally had ulterior motives. -gag-

Due to the armistice, the rebel army disbanded and the Alliance withdrew her forces. That is, if the Alliance hadn't consisted of a bunch off buttheads, who didn't care about the treaty and saw it necessary to slaughter civilians they named rebels as they withdrew. Cue Katrina and her trusted cat to come save the day. At this point, the Alliance thought "screw the treaty, we have the numerical advantage," so Katrina spent her days as Six Marquise, kicking Alliance butt alongside Marticus, Tranny S and (how could I miss that??) Pagan.

(I'm skipping the sibling emoness of "Oh! How I wish to be my sis, who is much more refined/has so much more freedom than me! Heero'd be happier with her!" Marticus' failed confession to Katrina and Heero and Cinquante (randomly?) running into each other, with him being all "My eternal friend. Next time we'll be enemies.")

So, Sabrina sees all this and since her parents are bedridden and more or less have one foot in the grave, since being imprisoned didn't do them any good, she comes to realize that "F**k. I will be Cinq's ruler soon." Apparently freaked out at the idea, she summons Eric to her castle and, having put on some make up to try and look as mature as she can, she asks him to marry her. Eric goes "wtf?" and Sabrina tells him that she needs him to lend her his strength. Why she has to go and marry him is beyond both me and Eric, because he tells her that he'll support her financially and that she's too young to marry, but Sabrina insists. He asks her if she loves him and she says "sorry, nope," but Eric doesn't seem too deterred and obliges. The two seal the deal as cheesily as expected, with him imitating the motions of putting a ring on her finger, then they kiss.
And I looked again at the date given; she was 16.

The two marry, but since the kingdom is bankrupt due to the war and everything, the wedding is a modest one. King and queen kick the bucket, too and Sabrina becomes "Queen Katrina." Together with her hubby, they set to work to get Cinq out of its mess. Somewhere during that time the Alliance remembers their treaty and withdraws their forces for real this time. With no excuse to play Power Ranger anymore, Katrina goes back to being Katrina Darlian. Not sure how, but she receives a bouquet of flowers with the card saying "Thanks for saving the country, Six" from her sister. Meanwhile, Sabrina finds out she's pregnant and Eric contributes things going smoothly to Sabrina's bulging belly, since he was told that a pregnancy brings good fortune by some folks when he was younger. Don't ask me.

The princess is born on the 27th of November, AC 146, and named Katrina, after Sabrina's beloved sister, who oh so happened to make her first appearance with Wyvern in Cinq on the, you guessed it, 27th of November two years prior.
Talking about Katrina, she's on a shuttle with Marticus leaving Earth and is super happy about the familiar feeling of weightlessness and dreaming of taking a stroll in a space suit, while poor Marticus is all "Hand me the vomit bag, please."

I'm not entirely sure why they're in space, but it appears the Robin Hood gang wants to fight the Alliance there, hence their refitting Wyvern for space combat. Of course, a message reaches Katrina that Heero is in trouble yet again and she rushes off to a L1 colony to rescue him and the scientists from being executed. Long story short, she dons the guise of Six Marquise and manages to free them from what I believe is a military stronghold. Heero and Katrina finally meet again after two years, but since the lights in the damaged prison are out and Katrina is (probably) wearing the mask, he can't see. He still asks her if she's Katrina (since there obviously aren't many lithe female pilots who'd come to your rescue, duh), but she says she's Six Marquise.

With the guys rescued and brought to the pumpkin tanks (one operated by Pagan), which were standing by outside the base in a crater, they start/continue the battle against the Alliance forces. The Alliance had previously captured alongside Jay his latest weapons he had intended to fight them with, which Google translates as "remote operation type fighters." From what I gather they're two machines, one blue, one red, with one having a nasty beam cannon, while the other is heavier on defense. Instead of Vayeate and Mercurius they're called Apollo and Heliopolis though. And they're giving Katrina and Wyvern hell.
Not sure what happens next, but Katrina seems to win. Whether it was Jay hacking them or Katrina going ZERO on them, I can't really understand, sorry.

The chapter ends with needless sap from Eric and Sabrina.

Which brings us to the current chapter, of which there's no Chinese translation to babelfish yet. But we can expect Heero and Katrina waltzing in space, Sabrina and Eric conveniently dying in a terrorist bombing and Katrina giving up her mantle as Six Marquise to return to the Cinq Kingdom to rule and probably even raise her niece. Will that conclude the flashbacks? Who knows.

Deacon also said we'd be (finally!) returning to the present, where Zechs and the enemy mobile fortress "Babel" appear.

And that's all, folks. Phew. I'm beat.

Quote:
Totally didn't forget that, but since I was talking about Hilde and the already dead horse topic of Duo-Hilde relationship I just decided to stick to her and her new found fascination with breaking people's bones and making their lives miserable. Ahh, the yaoi fans must be rejoicing with this new depiction of the "couple" and justifying Duo and Heero's love for one another. Now I must go to the bathroom and hurl the contents of my stomach.
...you enjoy torturing me with horrid mental images, don't you? Seriously, SkullFaerie asked for more, not me! DuoxHeero in FT is just- GAH.

Quote:
Has Duo accepted paternity over Jr. yet? Or is Sumizawa still "trying" to troll us here?
Good question. As much as Sumizawa is trolling us in the flashbacks, Duo did introduce Duo Jr. as his son in the prologue, which is set in the present time line. So I'd say yes, he currently claims to be his father.

I really wonder if Hilde is his mother though. Would a mother really be that abrasive toward her own kid? I can't put it past her FT version, who apparently enjoys to physically harm her former spouse and would likely not be past channeling much of that hatred to his miniature self, when the original isn't around... but it'd be horribly cruel, wouldn't it?

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2013-02-16 at 06:09.

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing