AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 12 22.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 13.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 24.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 18.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 7.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 5.66%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-23, 06:14   Link #61
kalbron

Except that the way the game was presented, a lot of the story was skipped over, and an even larger portion was simply talking heads. Having those scenes properly animated and extended would have been a wonderful addition. Instead they removed the vast majority and filled it with vapid mutterings.

You can't say "Oh, they couldn't animate it." because they could have. The game was pretty much a budget anime with game mechanics mixed in. They chose not to do it properly, and chose to do away with most of the script except for the landmarks, the character designs, and the main plot points.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:22   Link #62
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
You uh, really have to be careful for what you wish for...

I will kill you if it turns out to be so!

~

Alicia: *Heavy breathing* Sel... I ... am... your sister!!

Sel: No! That is not true!

Alicia: *heavy breathing* Sel! Search your feelings, you know it be true!

- Tak
Uhm. Alicia = a pair of bread. Selvaria = a pair of loaf ob bread. I would say, NO!
Old 2009-08-23, 06:46   Link #63
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Except that the way the game was presented, a lot of the story was skipped over, and an even larger portion was simply talking heads. Having those scenes properly animated and extended would have been a wonderful addition. Instead they removed the vast majority and filled it with vapid mutterings.

You can't say "Oh, they couldn't animate it." because they could have. The game was pretty much a budget anime with game mechanics mixed in. They chose not to do it properly, and chose to do away with most of the script except for the landmarks, the character designs, and the main plot points.
With limited airing time you can't expect ALL elements from the game can be animated. I didn't play the game so I can't tell what parts are missing but, from Niconico Douga I saw a player posted 50 pieces of the game progress (and that only) which all exceed 15 minutes, some can reach 24. That's all about at least 35 episodes worth of a proper anime......

And yes, there're something that an anime can't animate.
In any case I guess you didn't play SRWOG or watch the anime. OG1 alone has 42 episodes in the game, it's just 25 in the anime------the main plot started from episode 30 in the game but it's 21 from the anime. And I can assure you that there're even more talking heads in the games (which didn't even have VO most of the part).
In the game there're numerous bosses with bunch of HP (no, you can't take advantage of exhaust points or headshots, etc and each attack must be dealt on the bosses directly) that it's common for defeating them after 10+ round of individual/coordinated attacks, sometimes it can be multiplied by 2 or even more. In the anime version of it, we can only see key bosses pop up, doing some random attacks and being raped by your side in a few minutes. It sucks, but I can't blame them------time in a game aren't necessarily syncrorizing that of an anime. I can't speack for VC but at least I can tell there're some cases like that.

Yeah, we can blame the scriptwriter for the poor story development------that's what we did at Fukuda back in the days of Seed Destiny. For VC however, without too much (but not zero) knowledge about the game itself, I'm still enjoying the show as it's not too unexplained (and after watching some famous titles like The Big-O, ES, Aquarion and Gundam 00, I used to think more about the plot), still decently done and, like any other LAM and anime adaptations, I think it's serving its purpose of introducing non-players into the game.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:50   Link #64
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
With limited airing time you can't expect ALL elements from the game can be animated. I didn't play the game so I can't tell what parts are missing but, from Niconico Douga I saw a player posted 50 pieces of the game progress (and that only) which all exceed 15 minutes, some can reach 24. That's all about at least 35 episodes worth of a proper anime......
The fact is you have stated that you haven't played the game, only watched videos so you can't say for 100% sure that they can't fit in all of the game's material into the anime. The answer is, they don't need to add everything from the game, just add more then what they have done, meaning they wouldn't have to include all the crap that they have.

Also, all those videos you mentioned, i hope you know some missions can take upto 20 minutes to complete, even more. & it's not like they're going to animating every single part of those battles.

What's missing are the battles, not the content within them.
Old 2009-08-23, 06:57   Link #65
Father Hentai

Comparing Game adaption VC is at least somewhere back in the stories in comparison to game adaptions like Ragnarok Online which was more than worse. Someone knows if Xenosaga anime is also in line the game? At least it isn't worser.

So at this point, calm down now...
Old 2009-08-23, 07:03   Link #66
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Aside from game spoiling as it was mentioned in previous episodes the ruling caste of Gallia were descended from Valkryias themselves.

Did anyone also notice,

Spoiler:

I wonder if that's going to important later on.

As for Faldio, I guess they wanted to make the situation look really grim and desperate but it didn't had the same epic feeling as the game had.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-23, 08:28   Link #67
Sassarai
Army of One

Does Selvaria have more substance/personality in the video game? She seems kind of dull in the anime.

1) Everything Selvaria does is for Lelouch sama.
2) Destroys everything instantly.

Besides looking pretty hawt, she's pretty bland.
Old 2009-08-23, 08:30   Link #68
kalbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Comparing Game adaption VC is at least somewhere back in the stories in comparison to game adaptions like Ragnarok Online which was more than worse. Someone knows if Xenosaga anime is also in line the game? At least it isn't worser.

So at this point, calm down now...
If you mean "Calm down, don't be angry." sure. I stopped being angry around about episode 4.

If, on the other hand, you mean "Calm down and stop laughing hysterically at the poorly made anime." then I'm afraid I can't help you. I'm having too much fun pissing myself laughing at this red-headed stepchild of the VC game.
Old 2009-08-23, 09:26   Link #69
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Does Selvaria have more substance/personality in the video game? She seems kind of dull in the anime.

1) Everything Selvaria does is for Lelouch sama.
2) Destroys everything instantly.

Besides looking pretty hawt, she's pretty bland.
I am not going to lie. I found her to be too stubborn much to my own frustration, and her actions in the final parts of the game really got me pissed.

I kept on thinking: If she ever wanted to kill the entire Imperial household... it'd be pretty friggin' easy. On the other hand, there is no such thing as a timer for turning into a Valkyrie in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Xenosaga anime is also in line the game? At least it isn't worser.
While the anime version was a terrible production, at least it did not alienate itself as the story closely resembles its game counterpart.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-23, 11:49   Link #70
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
the fact that they don't have enough budget to animate more battle scenes is ridiculous. I mean they planned to animated a game, and it's main factor is a war theme, and we've only seen about 30% of it in this adaptation. Talk about not coming prepared.

30%? You are being too generous....

lnstead of making faldio the center of attention for the female audience...like they wanted....they should had focused more on squad 7.....not kill Vyse. Animate Vyse in battle in his total awesomeness along with Jane... and there you have it...female audience happy. Tell me with a straight face,,, whose knees wouldn't get weak... just watching Jane in action...
Old 2009-08-23, 11:54   Link #71
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
30%? You are being too generous....
I like to be generous from time to time.

Quote:
Tell me with a straight face,,, whose knees wouldn't get weak... just watching Jane in action...
Yeah it would be hot as hell. The game just doesn't do that image justice enough.
Old 2009-08-23, 12:08   Link #72
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Animate Vyse in battle in his total awesomeness along with Jane... and there you have it...female audience happy. Tell me with a straight face,,, whose knees wouldn't get weak... just watching Jane in action...
You, mister, are making sense!
He he... in-character Vyse and Jane being featured would have made the anime a hundred times better even with the lame script changes.
Old 2009-08-23, 12:38   Link #73
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
There is very little that is decent for this story. Just look at the main character situation and you'll see what I mean. Are Welkin and Alicia the main characters? Or is Fabio and Alicia the main characters?

In the game, it was extremely obvious that Fabio was nothing more than a side character with a very important moment in the story. We saw things essentially through Welkin. Now we're seeing things through Fabio's eyes, and he gets all of the important parts in the story. Why even bother having Welkin in the OP as much as he is when the focus is no longer on him?

This show is absolutely horrible. It's so horrible, it's a joy to see how much worse they can screw things up. I hope this anime bombs. And I hope the script writer is shunned from anime forever after this abomination.
Old 2009-08-23, 13:03   Link #74
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Are Welkin and Alicia the main characters? Or is Fabio and Alicia the main characters?
Are you mad? It's just Faldio.
Old 2009-08-23, 15:13   Link #75
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

I don't care anymore as long as Alicia and Welkin end up together, though I wouldn't be surprised if they make Faldio be her first to take her......first kiss?
Old 2009-08-23, 18:47   Link #76
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Are you mad? It's just Faldio.
I was trying to give Alicia the benefit of the doubt.
Old 2009-08-23, 19:18   Link #77
Snowman24

One thing has got me hoping. That now that the Batomys is destroyed...will the Marmota make an appearance?
Old 2009-08-23, 20:20   Link #78
Sassarai
Army of One

Fabio is just single handily ruining this series. The Shin Asuka of Valkyria Chronicles. Just not a likeable character getting too big of a role. Usually I feel bad for good characters that get rejected that bad but I was ROTFLMAO when it happened to Fabio.

Last edited by Sassarai; 2009-08-23 at 20:41.
Old 2009-08-23, 20:34   Link #79
kujoe
from head to heel

Simply put: it's just sad that a bunch of talking heads and some cut scenes are better in conveying a story better than an entire piece of animation worth 26 episodes, 30 minutes each. The story isn't even the most imaginative and complicated thing ever, and somehow the anime manages to make the experience even worse.

There. All the criticism summarized in a couple of sentences. Faldio-related criticism will require a few more.

If this is going to be considered as some sort of 'original game purist' elitism on our part, whining and ranting with the tips of our noses pointing upwards, then so be it. At this point, I practically feel privileged that I'm able to adore the original story as it is.
Old 2009-08-23, 20:41   Link #80
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
There is very little that is decent for this story. Just look at the main character situation and you'll see what I mean. Are Welkin and Alicia the main characters? Or is Fabio and Alicia the main characters?

In the game, it was extremely obvious that Fabio was nothing more than a side character with a very important moment in the story. We saw things essentially through Welkin. Now we're seeing things through Fabio's eyes, and he gets all of the important parts in the story. Why even bother having Welkin in the OP as much as he is when the focus is no longer on him?

This show is absolutely horrible. It's so horrible, it's a joy to see how much worse they can screw things up. I hope this anime bombs. And I hope the script writer is shunned from anime forever after this abomination.
IF you totally dislike it, you could stop watching the series.

Faldio has in VC game and VC anime series the same tragic role. He not only lost his unit, he also lost his friends and he also lost the war against welkin for alicia.

In this series his actions to kidnap Kordelia to gain the lance and shield brandmarked him as a traitor.

In the tent he lost the the triangle match against Welkin. He could not awake Alicia but Alicia reacted on Welkins voice. The face expressions tells me somehow that at this point he finally realizes, that Alicia has decided.

Anyhow. Did someone see the mistake when Faldio was trying to feel the pulse?