AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Heavy Object

Notices

Old 2015-11-21, 15:02   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Heavy Object - Mecha, Weapons, and Technology

As the title suggests, the purpose of this thread is to discuss Heavy Object Mecha, Weapons, and Technology

Please keep discussion about plot and storylines in the relevant Episode Discussion threads, not here. It's also a good idea that this thread discuss things that have shown up in the anime, manga or light novel - discussion of things that have only been announced should stay in the appropriate thread.

Note that because of the nature of this thread, there may be spoilers for non-anime Heavy Object works. Please keep such spoilers to a minimum, and use well-titled spoiler tags whenever possible.

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title to let everyone know what you're spoiling![/spoiler]
Spoiler for title:

Be polite to your fellow forum members and try and keep the discussion on topic and above all, enjoy.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 15:50   Link #2
Draco Spirit

So anyone else think the 0.5 Object's design was a well thought out middle stage between modern vehicles and the 1.0 Baby Magnum?
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 17:34   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I wanted to do this sooner, but I've been swamped the whole day with lessons and report.

Consider this as an archive of sort. In addition to Objects, there are also a number of fancy high tech gadgets that appears.

EDIT:

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2015-12-20 at 02:39.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 17:41   Link #4
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
So anyone else think the 0.5 Object's design was a well thought out middle stage between modern vehicles and the 1.0 Baby Magnum?
I don't know. True, it's a rather impressive first attempt at building an Object from an independent nation and could likely be a formidable foe against conventional weapons like tanks and aircraft. However, there's some details the anime skipped that make clear how inferior it is to a proper Object like the Baby Magnum, so it isn't that effective as a weapon as it may seem. Still, I agree that as a weapon it's between normal military vehicles and the Baby Magnum. If Oceania wasn't in the middle of being invaded maybe they could have perfected the design to reach the level of a first generation Object.
Spoiler for Volume 1 Spoilers about the Generation 0.5:
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 23:34   Link #5
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
I don't know. True, it's a rather impressive first attempt at building an Object from an independent nation and could likely be a formidable foe against conventional weapons like tanks and aircraft. However, there's some details the anime skipped that make clear how inferior it is to a proper Object like the Baby Magnum, so it isn't that effective as a weapon as it may seem. Still, I agree that as a weapon it's between normal military vehicles and the Baby Magnum. If Oceania wasn't in the middle of being invaded maybe they could have perfected the design to reach the level of a first generation Object.
Spoiler for Volume 1 Spoilers about the Generation 0.5:
A lot of that probably has more to do with the material and fiscal limitations the Australians were operating under than anything else, particularly the armor. Also your point about the reactor not being on is absurd; there really is no need for further justification to keep it off. Assuming an Object reactor is outputting in the tens of gigawatts during operations, standby probably has to be at least one gigawatt. The reason you'd keep it going around the clock it to avoid having to provide the massive surge of power needed to get the hydrogen or helium fuel to start fusing; once you have some reaction ongoing, you can add fuel and dial up the containment fields to reach combat output.

However, if you're not running it for two years, the gigawatt worth of fuel will outweigh the start-up activation energy. Also, the gigawatt worth of heat that will eventually be produced will be a dead giveaway to any functional infrared satellite system.

Also, the point was about the quality of the design, not the final product. The invaders are using objects half a century more advanced; it's like comparing an Abrams to a Tiger.
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 00:22   Link #6
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

ever wondering if the Tri-Core was piloted by three pilots for each of its core modules? considering to me it looks like three smaller objects glued together in terms of design, because of it, its also one of the objects having a crew on board to operate the thing much like a ship.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 10:06   Link #7
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
ever wondering if the Tri-Core was piloted by three pilots for each of its core modules? considering to me it looks like three smaller objects glued together in terms of design, because of it, its also one of the objects having a crew on board to operate the thing much like a ship.
I doubt it; it would actually be easier to operate than a normal object given that it's essentially a weapons platform and isn't built to engage in the sort of spastic maneuvering common to Objects.
Old 2015-11-27, 16:28   Link #8
Weather
Wonder Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Sword 2 View Post
It was one pilot.

On of the perks of one pilot per object instead of multiple is the speed of decision making and reacting.

One person can decide and act quicker than three relying info between each other.

Respect the Earth! If not... Who knows? You might get cursed... heh heh~
Weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 16:50   Link #9
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Unless they neuro-linked!!
Old 2015-11-27, 16:54   Link #10
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather View Post
It was one pilot.

On of the perks of one pilot per object instead of multiple is the speed of decision making and reacting.

One person can decide and act quicker than three relying info between each other.
Yeah, though any sort of analogue control system would be a serious limit; like with most mechs, there really isn't any way one person could command the entire system without a direct MMI unless it was almost completely automated.

The cost of one-man control is that you need a literally superhuman pilot, but at least making them a clinical sociopath is a tiny marginal cost.
Old 2015-11-27, 16:58   Link #11
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Unless they neuro-linked!!
This is actually something I LOVE about Iron Blood Orphans; it's a coherent story (except for needing space-guides...) with a lot of realistic 'fiddly bits' thrown in; high-cost of suits being an issue, neural interface, the dangers of having a neural interface installed in a garage on a budget...
Old 2015-11-27, 17:00   Link #12
Weather
Wonder Wind

Quote:
The cost of one-man control is that you need a literally superhuman pilot, but at least making them a clinical sociopath is a tiny marginal cost.
Hence why Elites are conditionated to do just that.

Old 2015-11-27, 17:00   Link #13
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I was actually thinking of Jaegers though...
Old 2015-12-11, 17:01   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Aircraft Carriers, Jets, Landing crafts and a big O Railgun to shoot spacecrafts out into space.
Old 2015-12-11, 17:29   Link #15
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Aircraft Carriers, Jets, Landing crafts and a big O Railgun to shoot spacecrafts out into space.
It should be noted that the big advantage to a Mass Driver isn't getting this up to space, it's getting them going fast enough to stay there; seven to eight kilometers per second tangent to the surface below you in low orbit.

Therefore, a launch mass driver would be much closer to horizontal, both because a longer weapon, er, system allows a higher muzzle velocity, and because a long acceleration distance allows a lower acceleration per second, making it easier for a fragile warhead cargo to survive launch.

It should be noted that it would require an absurdly long railgun to make the launch survivable for humans; the advantage is that it can loft bulk cargo in greater volume and at lower cost than anything accept an actual space elevator (not to be confused with a laser launch 'elevator': the two are completely different).
Old 2015-12-12, 08:45   Link #16
Inept Forum User

Here's a little something to think about; the Object's power source, the JP-level MHD reactor. We know what the second bit stands for, but what about the first?

Last edited by Inept Forum User; 2015-12-12 at 09:00.
Inept Forum User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 09:24   Link #17
Weather
Wonder Wind

Japanese? The first object in the HO universe was made in Japan.

Old 2015-12-12, 09:45   Link #18
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather View Post
Japanese? The first object in the HO universe was made in Japan.
Most likely what it actually means, but the 'JP-level' seems to suggest something a bit more physical in the design; I'd guess 'Joint Primary', refering to plasma being drawn from the fusion coure and fed into multiple MHD generators, but that's just a WAG.
Old 2015-12-12, 10:39   Link #19
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I've noticed one thing about the landing crafts in this episode- they have some kind of "Leg Anchors?" to help them onto shallow waters.
Old 2015-12-12, 10:45   Link #20
Heir of the Void

Quote:
I've noticed one thing about the landing crafts in this episode- they have some kind of "Leg Anchors?" to help them onto shallow waters.
I think that's a consequence of their nature as hydrofoils: the presence of the foil below the keel would make actually landing difficult normally.

Last edited by Heir of the Void; 2015-12-12 at 18:04.