AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-10-15, 12:11   Link #1
LKK

Post New English Language Light Novel Publisher

A new English-language light novel publisher entered the market yesterday. ANN reports that J-Novel Club will publish digital English translations of Japanese light novels. For more information, read the ANN article or (better yet) visit the J-Novel Club web site.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-15, 12:27   Link #2
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
A new English-language light novel publisher entered the market yesterday. ANN reports that J-Novel Club will publish digital English translations of Japanese light novels. For more information, read the ANN article or (better yet) visit the J-Novel Club web site.
This wouldn't have been possible without animesuki helping me become a translator many many years ago!

I'm happy to answer questions here our on our own forums.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-15, 12:50   Link #3
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
This wouldn't have been possible without animesuki helping me become a translator many many years ago!

I'm happy to answer questions here or on our own forums.
Congrats to you! May it be a successful venture.
Old 2016-10-15, 15:55   Link #4
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:

I'm happy to answer questions here our on our own forums.
I visited to your website in order to see what this was all about, and I have a question. Do you need to subscribe to a novel in order to read it or is it just an optional subscription with the ability to read for free?
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-15, 16:08   Link #5
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
I visited to your website in order to see what this was all about, and I have a question. Do you need to subscribe to a novel in order to read it or is it just an optional subscription with the ability to read for free?
We have free previews of all our novels which you can read for free, but to read the rest of the parts (and the weekly releases) you need to become a member. It's $4.50 a month for an annual membership (or $4.95 monthly).

So check out the series and see if there's anything you want to read! We'll be announcing more titles soon, as well.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2016-10-15, 16:14   Link #6
bakato

Quote:
We have free previews of all our novels which you can read for free, but to read the rest of the parts (and the weekly releases) you need to become a member. It's $4.50 a month for an annual membership (or $4.95 monthly).

So check out the series and see if there's anything you want to read! We'll be announcing more titles soon, as well.
I have several questions, but I don't want to pepper you with stuff you might have already answered somewhere. Is there a Q&A page for questions you've already answered?

Last edited by bakato; 2016-10-15 at 17:08.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-15, 16:23   Link #7
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
I have several questions, but I don't want to pepper you with stuff you mught have already answered somewhere. Is there a Q&A page for questions you've already answered.
I suggested reading the FAQ, and if that fails you can post on our forums (if you sign up) or here.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2016-10-19, 13:22   Link #8
gocav

Quote:
I suggested reading the FAQ, and if that fails you can post on our forums (if you sign up) or here.
Site bookmarked. Best of luck Quarkboy, I look forward to what you will bring us.
gocav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-19, 15:22   Link #9
IceHism

What publishers do you currently have a deal with? I'm sort of interested but none of the stories you have appeal to me.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 01:21   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
What publishers do you currently have a deal with? I'm sort of interested but none of the stories you have appeal to me.
We launched with titles from 2 publishers:
Hobby Japan and Overlap.

What kind of light novels would you like to read?
Sam Pinansky
Old 2016-10-21, 22:40   Link #11
DustHalls

More LN publishers is always great news to me! I'm glad you've already picked up Occultic;Nine. I'm definitely getting that one once it's available.

I do have one question. I'm not really sure how it works, but is it in any way possible for you to pick up LNs that had already been licensed but were dropped after one or two volumes?

For example, I'm particularly interested in Kino no Tabi (dropped after 1 volume), which was licensed by Tokyopop I believe, and Zaregoto (dropped after 2 volumes), which was licensed by Del Rey Manga.
DustHalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-23, 08:19   Link #12
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustHalls View Post
More LN publishers is always great news to me! I'm glad you've already picked up Occultic;Nine. I'm definitely getting that one once it's available.

I do have one question. I'm not really sure how it works, but is it in any way possible for you to pick up LNs that had already been licensed but were dropped after one or two volumes?

For example, I'm particularly interested in Kino no Tabi (dropped after 1 volume), which was licensed by Tokyopop I believe, and Zaregoto (dropped after 2 volumes), which was licensed by Del Rey Manga.
All of the "Lost Generation of 2009" as I like to call them are on my radar. But I hesitate for 3 reasons, mainly:
1. We would only be licensing digital rights, and I worry that most people would prefer to buy physical copies of things that originally had physical copies
2. The fan translations for most of them are pretty extensive... I worry people wouldn't want to pay for just digital versions of things that can be found online for free.
3. Because they had print versions at one time, I am not sure I would be able to license them for digital only for a reasonable amount of money up front, especially since these are some of the biggest and prestigious titles in Japan.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2016-10-24, 01:13   Link #13
IceHism

Quote:
We launched with titles from 2 publishers:
Hobby Japan and Overlap.

What kind of light novels would you like to read?
I'm interested in LNs that have received a lot of praise or has stood the test of time. Stuff like boogiepop, Jinrui wa suitai shimashita, 9s, ginban kaleidoscope, iriya no sora, etc. Also, Stuff that comes up in the top 10 of kono light novel ga sugoi while not that much of a high priority for me would also be appreciated.

Also, more type-moon works. Fire girl or Fate Prototype, Lord El-Melloi II Case Files and etc.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-26, 23:37   Link #14
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I'm interested in LNs that have received a lot of praise or has stood the test of time. Stuff like boogiepop, Jinrui wa suitai shimashita, 9s, ginban kaleidoscope, iriya no sora, etc. Also, Stuff that comes up in the top 10 of kono light novel ga sugoi while not that much of a high priority for me would also be appreciated.

Also, more type-moon works. Fire girl or Fate Prototype, Lord El-Melloi II Case Files and etc.
Ginban... I fansubbed the anime more than a decade ago. No one remembers the anime, would it be popular enough I wonder?
Sam Pinansky
Old 2016-10-29, 09:32   Link #15
R~S
ヽ( ´¬`)ノ

I suppose Kadokawa properties are offlimit, right?

It's been months since they striked Amaburi and did nothing of it...
Old 2016-11-08, 04:44   Link #16
larethian

Congrats Quarkboy!

I recommend looking into "ねじ巻き精霊戦記 天鏡のアルデラミン" (Dengeki Bunko).
It doesn't have that much fan-translations and the existing ones have some quality issues. It is also a pain to translate, the fan-translations are also inactive, so I doubt that we are going to see more of it in the near future.

The only problem is that, it is not really that popular in Japan. On the flip side, it has always scored extremely well with the collaborator group in Konorano, giving it a pretty solid ranking in Konorano.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-28, 10:32   Link #17
Applehell

Just ordered LITTLE APOCALYPSE and Grimgar. Thanks a lot for this service. I hope this really works out well for you.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-20, 03:32   Link #18
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Here's an interesting announcement:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-print/.111238

Grimgar and Occultic;Nine novels tl'd by J Novel Club will be published in print later this year by Seven Seas.
Old 2017-01-20, 15:14   Link #19
AnimeFangirl

That's great news. I don't know about Occultic Nine, but I enjoyed the Grimgar anime and wanted to follow their adventures after the show.