AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-10-12, 03:16   Link #721
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synria_ View Post
I only have knowledge of the first two eps, but I have some questions for anyone who can answer.

1. The order of lorlei, are they the ones that kept a peace between the two big factions?
2. Is tear from the order of lorlei?
3. What is the significance of Ion?
4. The whole series seems to be about fonons and using them, so what exactly is the significance of a fonon?

Thanks. (More Q's to come as I watch haha..)
From wiki:

Spoiler for Shouldn't be spoiler-ific but just in case:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 05:04   Link #722
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I'm enjoying Tales of Abyss so far. I never played the it but my brother is a huge fan of the game. I just watch him play on occasions to find out more about the story since I'm more interested in that than the game play. The producers got Guy's Gynophobia down perfectly, lol. I love the reaction he has whenever a woman gets too close. I can't wait to see if they have an episode where they talk about Guy's past. It was so sad.

Oh yes, I also think the pacing of the anime is just perfect and they covered most of the things that were in the game some what nicely.
Old 2008-10-12, 05:22   Link #723
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
I can't wait to see if they have an episode where they talk about Guy's past. It was so sad.
Of course there will, it's part of the storyline.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 05:51   Link #724
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

I just finished up 1 and 2, so I posted a few thoughts anyhow.

Still, Luke is awesome. The guy is like, a pain magnet extraordinaire. I should feel sorry for him, but the hilarity would be all gone then.

Also, Prelude->OP transition is wonderful. Simply wonderful. Well executed sunrise.
Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:13   Link #725
Cight

I like this series more with each episode though I'm out to sea on what's going on. Probably not helped by everyone knowing everyone else. Luke's character is line ball as far as being annoying goes but at least he's got some depth. He's not being helped by having awesome characters like Jade and Tear around. Music's good too but I didn't expect anything less from a Tales anime.
Cight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:13   Link #726
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MrSonic] View Post
Here some pictures with 800+ pix resolution:

Nice pic! I like this one.

Luke and Tear look like a proud mother and father to some baby cheagle, and it looks like Anise just touched Guy by accident.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:20   Link #727
FireChick

I wish the subbers wouldn't make their episodes SO FLIPPING HUGE (in size)!!!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:26   Link #728
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Just watched episodes 1 and 2, and, well, let me just say, hearing this in Japanese feels really odd. Suffice to say, I dig the english dubs more (especially with Luke, Jade and oh god Anise).

I thought the game itself was pretty mediocre to be honest, its only saving grace was its amusing characters and their interactions (still got a bit put down by the overall character development though, Xenosaga spoiled me silly it seems), so I didn't really expect anything that would blow me away. I suppose I got just that.
Yeah the game was all around mediocre... I wish they made this one into an OVA and Symphonia into a full series. It would've been better...
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:30   Link #729
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Just watched the episode 3. I Liked it, even if Luke is somewhat annoying...

Jade is so manly XD. And Tear is still my favorite character with Luke (even if he is still annoying >o<) so far.

Enter the Amazing guy ! The scene when we can see him being afraid by Tear was so hilarious XD

And because of Luke, tear got hurt, seriously................ Luke >o<

Last edited by Narona; 2008-10-12 at 07:46. Reason: forbidden question
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:41   Link #730
Kikuchi

Spoiler deleted

Last edited by Kikuchi; 2008-10-12 at 07:56.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:44   Link #731
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Even if they are in spoiler tags, spoilers about the ending are seriously not allowed. It's in the rules so please delete it.

I want to talk about this series, though with people posting so many spoilers, even if they are in spoiler tags destroys the conversation for new viewers like myself.
Old 2008-10-12, 07:47   Link #732
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Even if they are in spoiler tags, spoilers about the ending are seriously not allowed. It's in the rules so please delete it.

I want to talk about this series, though with people posting so many spoilers, even if they are in spoiler tags destroys the conversation for new viewers like myself.
I think many of the people are assuming that nearly everyone watching this show has already played the game. Which isn't too surprising, as the tales series have a pretty hardcore following.
Old 2008-10-12, 07:47   Link #733
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I think many of the people are assuming that nearly everyone watching this show has already played the game. Which isn't too surprising, as the tales series have a pretty hardcore following.
Done, and sorry :/
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 07:49   Link #734
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Well the game was never released here in the UK, so i've never played it.

& even still, it doesn't mean you can just post ending spoilers in the anime thread. Especially when it's only at episode 3 of 26.
Old 2008-10-12, 07:56   Link #735
kujoe
from head to heel

I just sent you a PM, Narona.

For such extremely sensitive spoilers, maybe that should be done from now on.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 08:20   Link #736
TrueKnight

This is why we need a forum. ;p

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
For such extremely sensitive spoilers, maybe that should be done from now on.
If asked by anyone in this thread, I prefer this kind of stuff to be PM'd instead of being put here. :[

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara
Yeah the game was all around mediocre... I wish they made this one into an OVA and Symphonia into a full series. It would've been better...
Lol, wut. Symphonia chars hardly dominates in the Tales charts, heck even in gameplay Symphonia is severely 'outdated' compared to Abyss.. Bandai Namco did the right thing pouring their budget on making Abyss's.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 08:28   Link #737
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
This is why we need a forum. ;p

If asked by anyone in this thread, I prefer this kind of stuff to be PM'd instead of being put here. :[

Lol, wut. Symphonia chars hardly dominates in the Tales charts, heck even in gameplay Symphonia is severely 'outdated' compared to Abyss.. Bandai Namco did the right thing pouring their budget on making Abyss's.
Abyss had a terrible cast of characters, none were likeable. Hell, of course Symphonia's gameplay is outdated in comparison to Abyss, it came out 2 years prior.

If the charts you're talking about, the Tales Boards, they're a bunch of fan girls who only voted for pretty boys. Who were the top 3? all guys who looked like girls.

Symphonia is the most popular tales game. Go to any video game forums and you see massive amounts of posts and threads on them. Like the GameFAQs/Spot forums, it was so big that it needed split boards.

Call me when Presea and Sheena makes an appearance in Abyss.
Old 2008-10-12, 08:30   Link #738
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Yeah, down with the spoilers. While probably more half the audience here were gamers, obviously there's attraction to non-gamers as well. After all, this isn't Shining Tears x Wind or some anime-adaption for the sake of game marketing alone, there's genuine effort put in this adaption to appeal to gamers (( thus the subtle 'hints' throughout episode 1~3 )) and newcomers alike.

And... I loved Abyss more than Vesperia and Symphonia so it may be biased, but... honestly as objectively as I could, I can't really see Symphonia (( and Vesperia )) being good 26 episode series on an episode-by-episode basis. The character development and pacing of the game just doesn't work too well to that extent. Abyss on the other hand has more plot twist, melodrama along the way among other things that helps build its pacing and story-telling easier in a full-fledged series.

Quote:
Abyss had a terrible cast of characters, none were likeable. Hell, of course Symphonia's gameplay is outdated in comparison to Abyss, it came out 2 years prior.

If the charts you're talking about, the Tales Boards, they're a bunch of fan girls who only voted for pretty boys. Who were the top 3? all guys who looked like girls.

Symphonia is the most popular tales game. Go to any video game forums and you see massive amounts of posts and threads on them. Like the GameFAQs/Spot forums, it was so big that it needed split boards.

Call me when Presea and Sheena makes an appearance in Abyss.
Likable is extremely subjective, even if it's true that the general internet opinion of Abyss's cast is "wow what an unlikable cast." To me, I love the humane flaws that fill the Abyss cast and world and the way it's constantly presented throughout the series, and it's also the main reason why I think Abyss works better as a TV series compared to other Tales, even if other Tales has more likable characters.

Episode 3 is a decent example. A lot may hate Luke's 'breakdown', but I feel for it. It may not had been the best reaction possible from his range of emotional reactions, but it works. It's a strong emotional catalyst to character development, and that's what matters.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 08:36   Link #739
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm just happy to see that Jade lives upto the awesomeness that i've heard about him for so long. I've said it once, and i'll say it again --- he's a perfect example of a Takehito Koyasu character.

As for what Luke's going through, it was only a matter of time i guess. Doesn't make me hate the guy, not at all because it's pretty easy to understand what he's going through at the moment.

Also i was just wondering, do you guys think the previews they have during the ED show just a bit to much? Sure me being not a game player doesn't know what order these scenes are going to go in, though the preview for episode four shown a hell of a lot.
Old 2008-10-12, 08:37   Link #740
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Just watched the episode 3. I Liked it, even if Luke is somewhat annoying...

Jade is so manly XD. And Tear is still my favorite character with Luke (even if he is still annoying >o<) so far.

Enter the Amazing guy ! The scene when we can see him being afraid by Tear was so hilarious XD

And because of Luke, tear got hurt, seriously................ Luke >o<
I warned you about luke's personality before I told you pick up the show didn't I?

I think I told you that too.

Didn't mention that.

Well I told you he was kind of an asshole
Just wait till we pass episode 6.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy