AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-01, 06:31   Link #10241
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Let's not forget Russia. Any trouble in the Far East is not taken lightly by the Kremlin.
But there's little they can do about it, given that the US is present in Okinawa and Seoul.
Old 2010-12-01, 06:36   Link #10242
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, Russia isn't really in any Great Games now. But, try going beyond the line in the Far East, and the Kremlin will still take notice and act. The Far East may be devoid of people, but Russia has every intent to hold on to what it has now.

Speaking of Okinawa, the new governor in town doesn't seem to want that base around. Any word on whether it would actually move elsewhere?
Old 2010-12-01, 06:40   Link #10243
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Well, Russia isn't really in any Great Games now. But, try going beyond the line in the Far East, and the Kremlin will still take notice and act. The Far East may be devoid of people, but Russia has every intent to hold on to what it has now.
Suuuuuuuuure. They're already stretched in Central Asia.

Quote:

Speaking of Okinawa, the new governor in town doesn't seem to want that base around. Any word on whether it would actually close down?

Quote:
Okinawa governor wins second term, demands U.S. base be moved out of prefecture

"I am calling on the Japanese government to revisit the Japan-U.S. agreement (reached in May), and to move the base out of our prefecture. We shall see how the government responds," Nakaima told reporters at his election headquarters here on election night, adding, "Relocation of Futenma within the prefecture is not a foregone conclusion. It will be moved out of Okinawa."
On the morning of Nov. 29, Nakaima reiterated his determination to see the U.S. base removed, saying, "The people of Okinawa are of one heart, one mind. I will continue to ascertain the path they wish to take and work to realize it."
Nakaima had previously approved the Henoko base plan conditionally, but changed his position at a prefectural assembly meeting in September, shortly before the gubernatorial campaign began. During the campaign, however, Nakaima placed more emphasis on his expertise on economic policy than the base issue, ultimately triumphing over Iha in the closely fought election.

Meanwhile, even as he demanded Futenma air station be moved outside Okinawa, Nakaima also signaled his willingness to continue negotiations with the central government on the issue. The Act on Special Measures for the Promotion and Development of Okinawa, designed to boost the prefectural economy, will expire this fiscal year, and the administration of Prime Minister Naoto Kan is expected to press Nakaima on approving the Henoko relocation plan as the government consults with Okinawa on future prefectural development strategy.
In other words, ask the Prime Minister, he's the one with power, not the prefecture government/governor.
Old 2010-12-01, 06:42   Link #10244
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

That's what you get for stretching over so many time zones. So, yeah.
Old 2010-12-01, 06:43   Link #10245
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:

Speaking of Okinawa, the new governor in town doesn't seem to want that base around. Any word on whether it would actually move elsewhere?
The Russians aren't gonna try anything. They're already in dire straits with their own economy and they don't have anything of interest in East Asia apart from a few business investments, which are hardly enough to warrant military action on their part. Besides, Russians are arms traders. No matter who takes the asian cake, they'll still make money from whoever's eating it.
Old 2010-12-01, 06:45   Link #10246
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Of course, military action is highly unlikely, given the lack of presence of Russians over there. If troops move there, it would be because of someone entering the boundaries.

As for arms trading, you forget that the US is probably the biggest peddler.
Old 2010-12-01, 06:49   Link #10247
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Of course, military action is highly unlikely, given the lack of presence of Russians over there. If troops move there, it would be because of someone entering the boundaries.

As for arms trading, you forget that the US is probably the biggest peddler.
Maybe, but in that area, I imagine it's easier to get weapons from Russia because they're both efficient (think AK-47) and cheaper, not to mention faster to get because they don't have to wait for cross-pacific shipments. And of course, they have a reputation as arms dealers.
Old 2010-12-01, 07:02   Link #10248
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
That's what you get for stretching over so many time zones. So, yeah.
No wonder China is +8 everywhere. Even in Inner Mongolia, where it makes no sense.
Old 2010-12-01, 07:47   Link #10249
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Russia's Putin warns West over missile defense
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6B01A620101201
Old 2010-12-01, 07:56   Link #10250
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Ok I have a question : Can someone give me good news english web sites which are independent (the most neutral) ?
Old 2010-12-01, 08:06   Link #10251
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Ok I have a question : Can someone give me good news english web sites which are independent (the most neutral) ?
Pretty hard. Even what were pretty neutral sites like NYT and Guardian, have gone to the left.

Then again, half the news corporations have gone left to combat Rupert Murdoch's right-winging.

Here's one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/
Old 2010-12-01, 08:10   Link #10252
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Russia's Putin warns West over missile defense
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6B01A620101201
If Palin becomes president, the next Cold War between US and Russia will turn rather hot.
Old 2010-12-01, 08:18   Link #10253
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis Lucis View Post
Pretty hard. Even what were pretty neutral sites like NYT and Guardian, have gone to the left.

Then again, half the news corporations have gone left to combat Rupert Murdoch's right-winging.

Here's one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/
Thanks and thanks Tsuyoshi for his link.
Old 2010-12-01, 09:08   Link #10254
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I remember that the last time Japan and Korea unified in military and economic expansionism, my great grandfather was executed for working with the American government in 1944. My grandfather has let go of it, but many others have not let go of the things uncontrolled nationalist expansionism has brought upon the world, including the Japanese, the Koreans and Asia itself.
Hmmm... in my case..... My paternal grandfather was part of the Kantogun, and Oppa's (my second cousin/fianace) paternal grandfather was a conscript under him. They had a very bad relatioship after the war (partly because my grandfather abandoned his grandfather in one of the border clashes with USSR, which led to a stay in Normandy of all places) until both Oppa and I were born. You might say it took two generations for that particular thing to heal.

Quote:
The horrors and scars of militarist Japan is still rooted in the cultural psyche to this day. Unless they've forgotten, not way in hell will the Japanese let this happen again.
Tell me about it. My onii-san denies his part-Korean heritage, causing very violent clashes between his Japanese ultranationalism and my pan-nationalism (which went for more than just words). I faced my share of being half-Korean in Japan and half-Japanese in Korea, which only reinforced my belief in the far-off goal.

Interestingly enough, most Koreans are pro-Japanese on a personal level and anti-Japanese on a political level. The way I see it, it' always does few stupid neo-nationalists (Ishihara comes to mind) that ruin everything when it comes to Japanese-Korean relations. I wish I could just kick them out and get things rolling with the FTA.

Quote:
The Chinese CERTAINLY have not forgotten, and the hate is still there.
Probably not a topic I should talk about, given my views.
Old 2010-12-01, 09:14   Link #10255
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Why on earth would you ever be a nationalist? Don't you understand how silly and potentially dangerous that mindset is?
Old 2010-12-01, 09:33   Link #10256
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Why on earth would you ever be a nationalist? Don't you understand how silly and potentially dangerous that mindset is?
Peace-centered nationalism is dead.
Old 2010-12-01, 09:39   Link #10257
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
nationalism basically says "this country is mine"
I belong to it, and it belongs to me.

If you aren't willing to state that something is YOURS, then why defend it.
and if you aren't willing to defend something, be assured that someone will take it from you.
Old 2010-12-01, 09:42   Link #10258
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
nationalism basically says "this country is mine"
I belong to it, and it belongs to me.

If you aren't willing to state that something is YOURS, then why defend it.
and if you aren't willing to defend something, be assured that someone will take it from you.
That is true, although a lot of people have historically taken it to the extreme and tried to spread their brand of nationalism to other nations either by spreading their way of government or by conquest/colonialism. The line between nationalism and expansion has blurred nearly to the point of disappearing over time. Colonialism has largely disappeared now, but there are still those people who also refuse to accept other people's traditions or ways because they feel it doesn't conform with their own culture.
Old 2010-12-01, 10:05   Link #10259
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
That is true, although a lot of people have historically taken it to the extreme and tried to spread their brand of nationalism to other nations either by spreading their way of government or by conquest/colonialism. The line between nationalism and expansion has blurred nearly to the point of disappearing over time. Colonialism has largely disappeared now, but there are still those people who also refuse to accept other people's traditions or ways because they feel it doesn't conform with their own culture.
well, in cases like what you described, then things go past simple "nationalism" into full blown colonialism and imperialism.
thats not the same as nationalism.

being a nationalist means thinking your country is better then all other countries because you we're born in it.
its a bit silly, but a lack of nationalism like you have in large parts of africa and the middle east is cause for trouble.
Old 2010-12-01, 10:18   Link #10260
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
well, in cases like what you described, then things go past simple "nationalism" into full blown colonialism and imperialism.
thats not the same as nationalism.

being a nationalist means thinking your country is better then all other countries because you we're born in it.
its a bit silly, but a lack of nationalism like you have in large parts of africa and the middle east is cause for trouble.
Indeed, it's not the same as nationalism, but people tend to think it is. They try to make other countries like their own because of their nationalism, so the two (nationalism and colonialism) get confused quite often as a result. It happens a lot even in modern day politics.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international