AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-01-27, 06:23   Link #1
Nappington

Early developing romance in which the characters feel like a couple

I'm sick of two characters awkwardly tiptoeing around each other for 24 or 11 episodes before finally hooking up near the series finale. I'm looking at you,
Spoiler for Popular romance series that do this:

What I'm looking for are anime that develop a pairing early, and proceed to develop a distinct sense of a romantic relationship. Some good examples of this would be Bakemonogatari and Kareshi Kanojo. Amagami SS pseudo-falls in this category, especially with SS+. I'm watching through Naze no Kanojo X to see what it's like.

for example:
Spoiler for Kimi no Todoke:

Spoiler for Clannad:

Spoiler for Bakemonogatari:

Thanks in advance! My MAL should have a good list on what I've watched so far.
Old 2013-01-27, 06:29   Link #2
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Err... you do realize that Bakemonogatari has little "real couple" actions ongoing? We sure have some expressed lines with Hitagi but that's far as it goes.

Anyway, well, I think this season's Kotoura sure has such early couple vibes, although whether they go out early or not it yet to be determined.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-01-27 at 06:46.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 08:07   Link #3
Nappington

Perhaps I should rephrase why I thought Bakemonogatari was so good at this.

Whenever Araragi and Senjougahara interact in Bake/Nisemonogatari, they feel like an actual couple does from a fairly realistic perspective - they're completely comfortable with each other: teasing, confiding, and general conversation, even if a lot of the action was implied. Most importantly, they didn't feel like a pair of strangers - there was virtually zero embarrassment involved once they got together. This is why I enjoyed their interaction so much, compared to other 'couples' who routinely grow beet red every second conversation because they happened to talk about something embarrassing.

As for Kotoura-san, I'm not really holding much hope for a fast romantic resolution, as nothing seems indicative of that happening.
Old 2013-01-27, 09:35   Link #4
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Doubt Nazo no Kanojo X will satisfy you

I'd go with Bokura ga Ita (though you have to wait a little but the couple will form) and Hotarubi no Mori e (nothing physical due to plot reasons but the interaction is there)
Old 2013-01-27, 09:50   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Try The Monster Next To Me

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 10:25   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

REC is a good choice, and maybe Kamisama Hajimemashita as well. The latter has a couple of other potential contenders for the heroine's heart, but it's pretty obvious who she'll end up with.

Nodame Cantabile
might be another choice, despite Chiaki's skittishness about recognizing his feelings for Nodame. The "acting like a couple part" happens a lot despite his claims; in the sequels they pretty much are a couple. It's also just an outstanding series that everyone should try. (subs dubbed stream).

Romance isn't the central focus of Oh! Edo Rocket by any means, but the main couple is established pretty much from the start, and they do feel comfortable with each other after a few episodes even if Seikichi doesn't want to admit his feelings.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 11:06   Link #7
jte742

How about Sukitte Ii na yo? They become a couple pretty quickly, and most of the series is spent with them getting used to being together. It can be a bit melodramatic at times, but it is still very enjoyable.

Seconding Nodame Cantabile as well.
jte742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 11:08   Link #8
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Sukitte Iinayo (Say I Love You) is the one title that comes to mind.

Couple by the end of the 1st episode. There is a bit of embarassment on their part but not much. It's more people trying to split them apart. Female lead is quite unique in her personality.
Old 2013-01-27, 12:01   Link #9
kaitanuva

Try Lovely Complex. The romance is fast paced and active, quite unlike the ones you listed.

I third Rec. The plot is pretty much the "reverse" of most romance animes...heh.
kaitanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 13:10   Link #10
kitten320

Uuummm... Araragi is comfortable with every girl there and almost each one tries to make a move on him. Can't say I saw anything special between him and Senjouhara.

Otherwise best choice would be SAO. Even though I don't likes series story progression wise, romance in it is on a unique level when it comes to anime world. Pairing is established early, they live together, share kisses and do lots of other stuff. Probably your best choice romance vise.

Romeo + Juliet is a good one too. Couple gets together early and do share kisses. at some point they even live together.

Duno if it counts but there is also Inuyasha. Main couple gets together only at the end but there is MCs ex-girlfriend with whom they have some moments here and there.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - if you don't mind something on boundary of harem. I really like this series, MC is very unique and barely ever gets embarrassed by anything. There is big variety of girls, some more shy than others, some more gutsy.

That's all I can think of.
Old 2013-01-27, 13:25   Link #11
Nappington

Thanks for the recommendations.. From the ones that I've watched, I've found that My Little Monster falls into the trap of 'are we or aren't we?' trap. I love TWGOK, but it doesn't quite fall into this category that I'm looking for. I dropped SA:O because of the whole 'princess in a castle' thing they had going.

I'll check out Rec, Lovely complex (and eventually) Nodame Cantabile. I'm on the fence on Sukitte Ii na yo, while Bokura Ga Ita seems a tad bit too dramatic for me based on the reviews.

Keep 'em coming! Really appreciate the recommendations so far.
Old 2013-01-27, 13:28   Link #12
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Bokura Ga Ita would definitely frustrates you big time, considering how the main heroine is quite undecisive. At least, it is nowhere close to the angst possible you can get with Suzuka
Old 2013-01-27, 13:32   Link #13
kitten320

Yeh, story in second SAO arc was a disaster.
Old 2013-01-27, 13:42   Link #14
Nappington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Bokura Ga Ita would definitely frustrates you big time, considering how the main heroine is quite undecisive. At least, it is nowhere close to the angst possible you can get with Suzuka
I read the Suzuka manga, and it was quite possible the most awful experience in watching manga/reading anime I've ever had. My goodness, that series was a trainwreck consisting of 166.5 chapters of indecisiveness that made we want to cut myself. Of course, that's my personal opinion.
Old 2013-02-03, 14:41   Link #15
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappington View Post
I'm sick of two characters awkwardly tiptoeing around each other for 24 or 11 episodes before finally hooking up near the series finale.
Oh God, I totally have your back here, pal. That's also one of the things I hate the most in animes, and which is, sadly, far too common...
Quote:
What I'm looking for are anime that develop a pairing early, and proceed to develop a distinct sense of a romantic relationship. Some good examples of this would be Bakemonogatari and Kareshi Kanojo.
On this one, though, I'm a bit , because actually one of the reason I disliked Bakemonogatari was precisely how there was absolutely NOTHING when it came to emotions or chemistry. Senjogahara feels like a troll, not a girlfriend.
I also somehow disagree with Clannad : you're spot-on for the first season (it was actually rather embarassing to see them suddednly all awkward and idiotic), but the second season, they ARE a couple, living together and the like, so I don't really get your gripe.

Anyway, to answer your initial question :
Sword Art Online manage to actually have a real couple forming relatively early and in a believable way.
Ef is four love-stories which are pretty mature, natural and believable. And beautiful.
Crest/Banner of the Stars may or may not be to your liking. The heroes are never "strictly speaking" declaring their love for each other or kissing or the like. BUT they very clearly ARE in a relationship starting from the first season.

On a somehow different note, but somehow related :

Kamisama Dolls, Another and Chuunibyou tends to have "natural" romances (that is, a plot that doesn't have this horrible tendency of teasing you "this will happen" and then find a contrived and idiotic reason why the situation isn't resolved ; the romances progress rather logically and organically) but the resolution still tends to happen in the later part and there isn't a "couple life".

Last edited by Akka; 2013-02-03 at 15:07.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 22:29   Link #16
trickdaddy
Level 5 Esper

Try Spice and Wolf

It's pretty interesting, two seasons.
Kraft Lawrence A traveling merchant, finds a girl in his cart with wolf ears and a tail. He ends up promising This girl, called Horo the wise wolf, that he will take her to her homeland in the far north.
Good fantasy/romance. Whilst they don't confess till the end, its obvious they like each other through sigbs of jealousy, embarrassment, hugging, etc.

It may sound weird, I thought it did at first, but afterwords I wished I'd watched it earlier. Great anime, 100% reccomended.
trickdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 16:51   Link #17
Laiin
SAO addict :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Otherwise best choice would be SAO. Even though I don't likes series story progression wise, romance in it is on a unique level when it comes to anime world. Pairing is established early, they live together, share kisses and do lots of other stuff. Probably your best choice romance vise.
(Sword Art Online) SAO is a really good one indeed, I would highly recommend this one. As stated by Kitten, ist has a very unique and heartwarming romance which I have never found in any other anime.. It has some fighting in it (since its set inside a virtual reality game) but later starts revolving more around their relationship than the game(s) itself.

I must say though, if you do decide to start watching, don't stop until around episode 8 or so, otherwise you might get the wrong impression of the main genre. (no worries, the first 8 eps are awesome too! :P)

PS: my signature photo is a pic of when they live together just FYI
Old 2013-02-06, 17:04   Link #18
Laiin
SAO addict :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappington View Post
I dropped SA:O because of the whole 'princess in a castle' thing they had going.
Whoops... didn't see this post... sorry
I never saw it as a "princess in a castle" thingy, but if it's not to your liking, it can't be helped
Old 2013-02-13, 14:46   Link #19
Bern-san

What about Hiyokoi? A love story between very timid short girl and a very tall popular guy. They released an OVA about it.
Sukitte ii na yo (the manga is better than the anime) is basically about Mei and her relationship with Yamato along with the stories of other couples
Paradise Kiss where the main couple hook up in the first episodes
Arakawa Under the Bridge, although they are a weird couple since the guy has no experience with girls and the girl believes she's an alien. They have their cute moments though but is basically comedy.
Old 2013-02-13, 21:30   Link #20
Cryonosis
~Desu

Surprised no one has mentioned Ah! my Goddess yet. While K1's awkwardness is key to the series, from episode 1 on there is no question to either the viewer or the other characters that he and Belldandy are a couple.

Saishuu Heiki Kanojo is a war romance were the two main characters are dating, break up and start up again.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien After the first episode the main male hooks up into relationship with one of the girls and the story is about the other girl pulling him away.
Cryonosis is offline   Reply With Quote