Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-05-22, 19:43   Link #1
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

American ISPs to Police Customer Downloads in July 2012

Relevant Link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57...ght-by-july-1/

So, if this goes into effect then there is no more downloading of copyrighted content. I am annoyed at this simply because it's a matter of privacy. The ISPs will have to inspect every single thing you download to find copyrighted materials, that includes personal stuff. Also, the ISPs require boxes with extremely fast processors to inspect packets going across the wire, so I am surprised they are cooperating with this.

I do wonder if unlicensed foreign content will be effected by this. Since it's the RIAA that's behind this, maybe only American stuff will be part of the detection filters. One thing that's certain is that American based file hosts, like MediaFire, will most likely be deleting user files to avoid trouble since direct downloading is getting attention now.

I think anonymous VPNs will become more popular in several years if things get any worse.
Old 2012-05-22, 20:05   Link #2
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

bye bye miss american pie
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 20:10   Link #3
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
*sigh* Wonderful.

How does this even work? If I watch a music video on YouTube, does that count as "downloading" illegally?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 20:13   Link #4
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
*sigh* Wonderful.

How does this even work? If I watch a music video on YouTube, does that count as "downloading" illegally?
No, you are streaming something via your browser via Flash with YouTube.

Downloading is when you request and transfer a file from a server to your computer's hard drive.
Old 2012-05-22, 20:19   Link #5
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

You know, I can download any video on youtube right from my browser with a simple plug.in and the youtube server can't tell the difference.
Old 2012-05-22, 20:30   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
You know, I can download any video on youtube right from my browser with a simple plug.in and the youtube server can't tell the difference.
That makes it a download and will likely be one of the first things to enter the detection filter, should this pass. But, you are in Mexico so it won't affect you at all.
Old 2012-05-22, 20:34   Link #7
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
No, you are streaming something via your browser via Flash with YouTube.
Streaming is still downloading, it just goes to the cache rather than a permanent spot of your choosing. It's how pluggins like DownloadHelper work.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 20:35   Link #8
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
But, you are in Mexico so it won't affect you at all.
Two_thumbs_up.jpg
Old 2012-05-22, 20:41   Link #9
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Curse those few bad apples who took a decent and godly advertisement-delivery system like the internet and misused it to transfer data, content and information from computers around the world into their own home.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 20:53   Link #10
flying ^

meh

wake me up with cold water if ISPs are mandated to deploy DPI
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 21:27   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The problem with the "propaganda/advertisement" (news article) is that its utter bullcrap from the RIAA -- that *isn't* what "all" the ISPs are doing. It would cost a Big Provider ISP a fortune in deep packet inspection gear and break the Internet. And smaller operations? Forget it, it would bankrupt them.

So treat this as a scare noise ... now if you have a subscription to one of the Big Content Providers (Time-Warner, etc) who pretend to be ISPs you might want to find something else as a political statement.

And yes, STREAMING IS DOWNLOADING... you are transferring packets to your computer ergo DOWNLOADING. The only thing different about streaming is that it doesn't necessarily put the data in a permanent file (unless you're using a client that does that).

The other thing to remember is that even if some ISPs tried to implement this --- they're looking for American titles owned by RIAA/MPAA members. Most of it is crap

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-22 at 21:47.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 21:37   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
They're also only looking at torrents, because torrents are the only easy thing to legally look at. The only thing I ever use torrents for are fansubs. Everything else is direct download, and they can't see what you're doing if you direct download. They won't even have a clue about anything you do if you use a VPN.
Old 2012-05-22, 21:47   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
They're also only looking at torrents, because torrents are the only easy thing to legally look at. The only thing I ever use torrents for are fansubs. Everything else is direct download, and they can't see what you're doing if you direct download. They won't even have a clue about anything you do if you use a VPN.
Thanks... I got distracted by RL interrupt. They'd have to have a warrant to do deep packet inspection. Torrent packets (otoh) are "public" and easy to check (as well as easy to get wrong. There's a reason the courts are ruling against suits brought on users - and the RIAA/MPAA is desperate to avoid going to court any more (hence these shenanigans). Unfortunately, these idiots still don't seem to understand the technologies they're trying to suppress.
Old 2012-05-22, 21:56   Link #14
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Unfortunately, these idiots still don't seem to understand the technologies they're trying to suppress.
This is the story of the world for most of those big corporations. I'm honestly surprised they don't have any young talent working for them warning them that they need to move with times or they'll lose out huge. Just like the music industry was hit by the internet, they gouged the market like crazy before that and paid for it dearly. Though I guess it's just more likely that the bigwigs don't want to listen to any young employee warning them.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 22:43   Link #15
Kyuu
=^^=

March 14?!

WTF.

Where was the uproar?

Anyways. I pray for the day the RIAA/MPAA become completely irrelevant or disbanded.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 22:44   Link #16
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I think it will only be a matter of time before some hotheads find the headquarters of these media bigwigs and wreak a lot of havoc. I, for one, would be cheering them on.

Endless "No nickname today" Soul
Old 2012-05-22, 22:51   Link #17
Dr. Casey

America sucks
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 23:03   Link #18
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
America sucks
The days of Free Flowing Internet in America looks to be nearing its ugly end....
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 23:15   Link #19
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Eh.

The whole Net across the country is so large and knotted that they won't be finctionally able to do what they wish to do. And even if they do there will be a backlash and likely some heavy complaining and lawsuits.
Old 2012-05-23, 01:03   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
The days of Free Flowing Internet in America looks to be nearing its ugly end....
No, its probably not. Look, freedom and civil liberty, civil rights are an ongoing battle -- the fight is eternal. Just get used to that.

Tags
internet, piracy, privacy, riaa