AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 03
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 49 22.17%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 39 17.65%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 52 23.53%
7 out of 10: Good... 46 20.81%
6 out of 10: Average... 18 8.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 6 2.71%
4 out of 10: Poor... 6 2.71%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 5 2.26%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-21, 20:13   Link #101
dark998

That scene where they get overwhelmed by the monsters was brutal, even though Kirito was overleveled enough to kill his opponents in one hit that was not enough to save Sachi. Such a cute girl gone so fast...that's not good at all.

I thought conquering SAO was all about linear progression and keep going up and up so it was nice to see Kirito actually had to backtrack to a lower floor in order to hunt the event boss. Another cool thing: changing his equipment before the battle (coat with +cold resist?).

Last edited by dark998; 2012-07-21 at 20:24.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:24   Link #102
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
I was surprise that Kirito even joined the kuro neko guild. Kirito at level 40 meanwhile we see others at level 2x. Kirito is leveling up like a beast.

That message from sachi must have gave Kirito strength to continue on. Before that we hear that he was playing risky to level up before that santa boss fight. They are on the 49th floor so half way.
Old 2012-07-21, 20:28   Link #103
shadow1296

this first time in a long while that anime scene almost made me cry but the scene with klein after the fight and kirito with the message almost brought me to tears, almost
Old 2012-07-21, 20:34   Link #104
Iron Maw
Banned

Something that just came to mind now, but did anime ever explain why a player need to sleep? This isn't even their real bodies.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:35   Link #105
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I know, it definitely got me tearing up. If you didn't feel anything this episode, you can't be human.
Old 2012-07-21, 20:37   Link #106
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Something that just came to mind now, but did anime ever explain why a player need to sleep? This isn't even their real bodies.
Because game operates with server which hold code and such things + your brain being the controller, your brain can't function 24/7 without sleep.

As for episode, finally watched with subs to see if I missed anything, and Argo indeed did say that Kirito trained like crazy for event boss, sadly they skipped the actual training which was written at novels, but atleast it was mentioned.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:37   Link #107
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Really? What exactly made you feel you were watching a Max Payne cutscene?
The BGM in the forest somehow reminded me of it. I played Max Payne 1+2 again recently, so it is still fresh in the memory. Like Max Payne, Kirito seemed to be almost destroyed inside, while showing a cold seemightly uneffected expression on the outside.
All that was remaining was Kirito having nightmares and it would have been perfect
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:37   Link #108
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
this first time in a long while that anime scene almost made me cry but the scene with klein after the fight and kirito with the message almost brought me to tears, almost
I was surprised Klein held off that guild. If Klein party died it would have made it more sad. Imagine, Kirito comes back with the revival item and sees Klein's party all dead. Kirito had to choose who to revive Sachi or Klein. That would be epic.
Old 2012-07-21, 20:37   Link #109
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

I've been skirting the comments sections of some anime streaming sites to basically have a feel for the viewers reactions to this ep. Seems that the ones sourgraping are almost all ln readers such as a majority of us here. So I guess the episode did do it's job sufficiently. As for me as long as they get the main narrative right consider me a happy camper.
Old 2012-07-21, 20:39   Link #110
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
I've been skirting the comments sections of some anime streaming sites to basically have a feel for the viewers reactions to this ep. Seems that the ones sourgraping are almost all ln readers such as a majority of us here. So I guess the episode did do it's job sufficiently. As for me as long as they get the main narrative right consider me a happy camper.
same here.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:41   Link #111
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
..it isn't only the body which needs to rest, the brain needs rest too..
lack of sleep brings memory and attention problems, forcing people not to sleep was an old form of torture
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:42   Link #112
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

How many times did they use a timeskip in episode 3? Anyways I thought the episode was good, but just good. The pacing definitely felt off--but not exactly in a rushed sort of way.

I said before the anime aired that I thought it would be a good idea to do everything chronologically and now I have to admit that I was wrong. While I think certain SS's should've been done chronologically (the majority of the one's involving Asuna), the rest, in retrospect, would've been better served being done as flashbacks instead. And RNR is one of the episodes better served as a flashback, because the importance of this event and how it affect's Kirito's mindset won't be revealed until much later.
Old 2012-07-21, 20:42   Link #113
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

You know guys it's funny. Sometimes a series most ardent fans can also be it's worst enemy...
Old 2012-07-21, 20:44   Link #114
Qilin
Romanticist

The most apparent flaw in this adaptation (and, by extension, the source material) is that the side stories feel out-of-place when juxtaposed with the main narrative. This problem can be seen in these two latest episodes. As such, stringing together the disjointed stories into a coherent whole is the critical point in this adaptation. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be doing it well so far.

I really do agree with the common sentiment that the episode was rushed in such a way that weakened the emotional impact of the final scene. I mean, so little time was given to develop these characters, so why should I care about them?
Old 2012-07-21, 20:47   Link #115
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
You know guys it's funny. Sometimes a series most ardent fans can also be it's worst enemy...
expecially when adaptations are involved
all expect to see what they imagined while reading the original source, only to get their expectations broken
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:47   Link #116
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
The BGM in the forest somehow reminded me of it. I played Max Payne 1+2 again recently, so it is still fresh in the memory. Like Max Payne, Kirito seemed to be almost destroyed inside, while showing a cold seemightly uneffected expression on the outside.
All that was remaining was Kirito having nightmares and it would have been perfect
Ahh. It's been years since I've played the games, but yep, I see where you're coming from now. Kirito's in bad enough form as it is by the end of the episode; I don't even want to think what nightmares would do to the poor sod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
I was surprised Klein held off that guild. If Klein party died it would have made it more sad. Imagine, Kirito comes back with the revival item and sees Klein's party all dead. Kirito had to choose who to revive Sachi or Klein. That would be epic.
Yeah, epically sad..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I mean, so little time was given to develop these characters, so why should I care about them?
What would've been the best way to get the audience to care about those characters, then? Split this arc into two episodes instead of one?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:48   Link #117
Deltaray

Last week everyone complained that too much source material was skipped, this week everyone complains even when they had everything from source material in the episode, guess you just can't satisfy everyone?
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:50   Link #118
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Last week everyone complained that too much source material was skipped, this week everyone complains even when they had everything from source material in the episode, guess you just can't satisfy everyone?
That's precisely it; no matter what the studio was to do with this adaptation, some people would still find reasons to be unsatisfied with how it was handled.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:50   Link #119
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
People want to have their cake and eat it to.... which is impossible, since we all know the cake is a lie!
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:51   Link #120
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Spoiler for Episode 3:

This was an excellent episode. Great character development, and the plot is moving along fast. They're not dragging this out and wasting time showing us the world. They're actually focusing on the characters. This is a very rare thing on television today. I look forward to next week's episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupseudes View Post
Having read the entire SAO novel 1, but not any of the side stories, the episode did seem quick paced (though not *quite* rushed), but when it got to the end and the ED rolled, I thought, "They really didn't have a choice." As a single unit, I thought it felt well put together, but I can't help but feel that first time viewers are suffering from a lot of whiplash. However, if you sort of treat this as a, "Here is a universe, and we are going to tell some stories in it", it makes a bit more sense, and having to fill in the details of time skips is fun, in its own sense. Which makes it a much more conventional anime setup: "premise", "character/worldbuilding short stories", "story arc".

I think what the anime really loses is the detailed explanations of MMOs which, in the LN, really demonstrated the author as someone who knew a lot (and cared a lot) about MMOs. But unless you put Kirito in "monologue forever" mode, the decision really is justified.
I'm a first time anime only viewer of this series, and so far everything is well done. I think an anime about an MMO can't drag on, and I also think since its a survival one at that there needs to be a focus on the characters and character development. The writers have so much to fill in, there isn't any time to really focus too much on the world itself, and the time skips make it easier to show the growth of each of the characters

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-21 at 21:22. Reason: Added a label to the spoiler tag
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote