AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-03, 13:52   Link #321
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

When I look at that image with her crying...I see an innocent girl genuinely happy for her friend. It looks to be a very quick scene with a few tears and a smile.

I've teared up before by watching a dramatic movie. Nanoha is literally a part of a dramatic scenerio. If I was in Nanoha's shoes, I'd have done the same, and I'm a guy. Over a decade older too.

Because of that, it simply makes more sense to me this way. Nanoha may not show it openly, but she's got quite a bit of emotions to her. Honestly, if the T.V. version showed Nanoha crying in that scene, I highly doubt you'd have thought much of it while watching.
Old 2010-02-03, 13:56   Link #322
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Honestly, I kinda have to agree with Demi. on this one. You guys seem to be blowing it a little out of proportion. Nanoha has tears held in the corner of her eyes, which tends to come naturally to young girls around heartwarming moments. Its not like she's bawling her eyes out and making a complete mess of herself.
Old 2010-02-03, 13:58   Link #323
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Easy claim to make, hard to honestly answer. Hindsight sucks like that. The main point is that the tv series didn't have Nanoha cry there, instead she showed joy in a more Nanoha-like way. A big smile and lots of explosions.

Me? This scene just makes me shrug. Not nearly as OOC as the Movie Manga seems to spin things at the moment.
Old 2010-02-03, 14:07   Link #324
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I get it, any scene that's not the bridge scene - Nanoha is forbidden to have tears in her eyes. It's an AU, and this scene is hardly OOC for Nanoha, tbh. Nanoha is very capable of showing this kind of emotion during a scene like this.

Mark my words - Never posting an image of Nanoha crying or tearing up, ever again.

Quote:
Honestly, I kinda have to agree with Demi. on this one. You guys seem to be blowing it a little out of proportion. Nanoha has tears held in the corner of her eyes, which tends to come naturally to young girls around heartwarming moments. Its not like she's bawling her eyes out and making a complete mess of herself.
And the minority grows by one strong.
Old 2010-02-03, 14:21   Link #325
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't mind Nanoha having tears in her eyes, I just find it a bit of an exaggeration in this case. Nothing serious, just a moment of 'tears? here?' Mind you, that is with the S1 mindset. The movie may have things play out in such a way that the tears make perfect sense.
Old 2010-02-03, 14:36   Link #326
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Orz, Nanoha's friend was in bad shape prior to her leaving. Those tears came from "tears of relief" - Relief knowing her friend is okay.

It's all moot anyways. The fact Emoha has to be brought up by some one every time I post an image with Nanoha crying, even when she's happy...Is the problem here.

The horse died ages ago.
Old 2010-02-03, 14:50   Link #327
Dr. Casey

For what it's worth, Nanoha already showed more emotion than usual in the original version as well. She might not have been teary-eyed, but she did make three happy grunts of joy (Or... something. Can't think of the right words for it) upon Fate asking to fight with her. That's more strongly emotive than the rather composed Nanoha usually gets; it wasn't exactly a standard, generic response. Yeah, I like both versions of the scene.
Old 2010-02-03, 14:56   Link #328
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
The horse died ages ago.
And no reason to overdramatize the death. The way you keep pouncing on everyone mentioning Emoha hardly makes you blameless in all this, Demi.
Old 2010-02-03, 15:14   Link #329
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

It is mentioned more often than the movie is discussed. It's highly frustrating.

This time especially.
Old 2010-02-03, 15:30   Link #330
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quickest way to stop it is to ignore it. If you choose to respond to it, you really shouldn't be complaining when people respond back to you about it.
Old 2010-02-03, 15:36   Link #331
Dr. Casey

Old 2010-02-03, 15:39   Link #332
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Wait, so those Nanoha movie figurines are how small exactly?
Old 2010-02-03, 15:50   Link #333
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Quickest way to stop it is to ignore it. If you choose to respond to it, you really shouldn't be complaining when people respond back to you about it.

Cute image, Casey.
Old 2010-02-03, 17:12   Link #334
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Why does it look like Nanoha is about to get bitch slapped? o_O
Old 2010-02-03, 18:14   Link #335
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
I get it, any scene that's not the bridge scene - Nanoha is forbidden to have tears in her eyes. It's an AU, and this scene is hardly OOC for Nanoha, tbh. Nanoha is very capable of showing this kind of emotion during a scene like this.
It's quite simple: Due to the TV series, we know how Nanoha reacts to things. Very specifically. Seeing her react more dramatically simply slides this Nanoha farther away from what we know Nanoha to be.

Too much sliding, and she's no longer the Nanoha we know, and many people like the Nanoha we know.

Would you be so keen on a Nanoha who speaks with a valley-girl accent (Like, OMG!), is incredibly fearful of magic, and smacks Fate down without showing emotion? It would be as emotionally-jarring as most seem to think.

Most tend to take AU to mean same characters, in a different setting or facing up against things they didn't face up before in the first universe. Not for characterizations to suddenly change for no real reason.
Old 2010-02-03, 18:48   Link #336
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

"Most tend to take AU to mean same characters, in a different setting"

And that is exactly what I consider her in this movie....Which is why, "It's an AU, and this scene is hardly OOC for Nanoha" - I said that.

I've seen more than enough of Nanoha to know she's not as hardened as alot of people make her out to be. The bridge scene proves it. Just because she doesn't replicate the t.v. series, that doesn't make her OOC. That image I posted is simply very believable for her character. She's not teary-eyed because she's sad, angry, or depressed - She's doing it because she's genuinely happy to see her friend okay. Just as she genuinely cried when she had to depart from Fate during the bridge scene.

Her first season speach about - “I'm really confused about all these new emotions." - Does that really sound like a girl who will only cry under the most extreme circumstances?
Old 2010-02-03, 19:01   Link #337
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
"Most tend to take AU to mean same characters, in a different setting"

And that is exactly what I consider her in this movie....Which is why, "It's an AU, and this scene is hardly OOC for Nanoha" - I said that.

I've seen more than enough of Nanoha to know she's not as hardened as alot of people make her out to be. The bridge scene proves it. Just because she doesn't replicate the t.v. series, that doesn't make her OOC. That image I posted is simply very believable for her character. She's not teary-eyed because she's sad, angry, or depressed - She's doing it because she's genuinely happy to see her friend okay. Just as she genuinely cried when she had to depart from Fate during the bridge scene.

Her first season speach about - “I'm really confused about all these new emotions." - Does that really sound like a girl who will only cry under the most extreme circumstances?
I think you might have misunderstood.

AU = SAME characters in a DIFFERENT setting (generally speaking, this is what most people think of in regard to official AU's, take Tenchi for example)

Nanoha acting different = a different Nanoha = not the Nanoha we know = less comfortable with her as a character.

*Especially* when her characterization changes aren't explained. She's just acting different for no reason at all. It's pretty much like a plot hole. Nanoha acting more emotional or different isn't that much of an issue for me. *Unexplained* characterization changes do grate, however.

Small parts of the movie/manga? Yeah. Sort of like a small tack you sit on; only affects one small part of your butt, but it still really makes you wanna stand up and find another chair.
Old 2010-02-03, 19:07   Link #338
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Um, what - Same character in a different setting = potential for a change in character diologue, and character action. Nanoha had an emotional reaction when Fate meet back up with her, she simply didn't cry that time. But because of these few instances of differences between the series and the movie...It is unrealistic for Nanoha to replicate every single emotion she showed in the first season, with nothing new to show for the movie.
Old 2010-02-03, 19:09   Link #339
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Demi, seriously, why are you even bothering anymore? It's an opinion thread; we don't all have to agree with each other on everything. That's part of the fun of it, you know? So someone doesn't agree with how you see things; so what? Why is that such a big deal? I'll admit that the debate goes both ways, but you aren't making it any easier by constantly calling us out on it when we disagree or dislike some small aspect of the movie and the characters.
Old 2010-02-03, 19:14   Link #340
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Um, what - Same character in a different setting = potential for a change in character diologue, and character action. Nanoha had an emotional reaction when Fate meet back up with her, she simply didn't cry that time. But because of these few instances of differences between the series and the movie...It is unrealistic for Nanoha to replicate every single emotion she showed in the first season, with nothing new to show for the movie.
To a degree, I'll grant that the second crying thing possibly isn't as jarring as the first one was. I am just explaining why people see that it's different and see it as a plot hole.

You are free to suspend your disbelief even farther than some are willing to, however. That's cool, as we all have her own thoughts and feelings. You don't have to agree with them, but rather than mock people who don't agree with you, it might be helpful to try and understand where other people are coming from.
Closed Thread