AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-11, 04:48   Link #3041
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
I would ask how my scenario is cheap, but then again you're the guy who prefers Bleach over One Piece.
Pointless Ad hominem. What's galling is that you actually think such an argument has some merit. And by the way I don't really prefer Bleach over One Piece. I stopped reading One Piece because it's bad. I still read Bleach because it's so bad it's good to bash it.

Quote:
If the knife can't be used and there's no reason for Sugata to use it, then it's a completely shallow gesture! There's no meaning to it!

Eh, I guess that was kind of a neat twist. But I still hold that it was a pointless scene and the knife subplot wasn't used to its full potential..
We saw Wako herself use the knife so it can be used and is practical to have. It's just that Sugata didn't use it but that really shouldn't matter because the only importance it would have for Sugata to use it, is to show he cares about her and that was already done by the first phase.

The knife thing was used to it's fullest potential. It just wasn't used in the completely standard and straightforward way that you would've wanted.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 15:52   Link #3042
dryeyes

Sigh. Rewatch Episode 6. Sugata did use his knife.
You know the flashy thing that hit the Mermaidoll choking Wako? Uh-huh.
It was used in a very straightforward way before the viewers knew the meaning behind it.
dryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 03:53   Link #3043
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

why Sugata acts like so cold or cool? that makes him like has less personality? its because he is gonna become eternally sealed lol so he needs to be cool to stay sealed with Samekh,

an impatient or noisy character that you can easily get the personality cannot stay sealed on Samekh for long
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 04:06   Link #3044
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryeyes View Post
Sigh. Rewatch Episode 6. Sugata did use his knife.
You know the flashy thing that hit the Mermaidoll choking Wako? Uh-huh.
It was used in a very straightforward way before the viewers knew the meaning behind it.
Lol. I completely forgot about that. XD
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:09   Link #3045
Meatrose
Antihero

I just finished watching Star Driver last night after having watched one or two episodes every other day. The original plan was to burn through all 25 episodes within a week but due to the repetitive nature of the show I had to abandon that plan early on.

During the first few episodes Star Driver comes off as something creative and daring, something the industry is in dire need of in these times when every other studio tries to pull a KyoAni but fails, hard. BONES are known for offering fluid animations and consistently high production values. When you see their name next to the title it's almost safe to assume that the quality will be ranging from above average to quite high. It's easy to see why a lot of people were excited about this project after the first few episodes. Within the first month of airing it became clear though that not everything was going according to plan. Something was not right.

The story is bad if you ask me, as is the script. Every episode (more or less) is following a set pattern. A new character from the main character's school is introduced or simply "focused upon" and turns out to be a member of the Glittering Crux, a fact that was already obvious. Sometime during the second half of the episode the "Zero Time" will be triggered and the hero will have to fight this person in a mech battle that despite the fluid animations and vivid colors is surprisingly boring to watch. Rinse, repeat.

Perhaps the fight scenes would be more meaningful had the characters and their chemistry been any good but unfortunately they're not. In fact, even the three main characters manage to disappoint. Takuto is a prime example of how insanely boring an I-don't-even-want-to-hurt-the-bad-guys-let's-all-be-friends kind of protagonist is to watch and to make it even worse he is irritatingly one-dimensional, as is the other male lead. Sure, as it turns out Sugata has a reason for acting distant and unemotional but it doesn't change the fact that such characters are quite uninteresting to watch unless they're handled really well, which Sugata was not in my opinion.

Wako was a tad more interesting to watch but the biggest reason for that was that I saw her as an in-world representative of the shows writers in that she couldn't make up her mind. She didn't quite know in which direction she was going and after having watched the final episode it feels as if the staff was facing the same kind of dilemma.

I still think that projects like Star Driver are needed, especially now, and had they only been working with a decent story and a decent set of characters it would have turned out much better.

The verdict: 4/10. The visual quality of the show and some interesting design choices saved it from an even lower rating.
Old 2011-04-18, 09:55   Link #3046
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
BONES are known for offering fluid animations and consistently high production values. When you see their name next to the title it's almost safe to assume that the quality will be ranging from above average to quite high.
It also means bad storytelling.

Quote:
The story is bad if you ask me, as is the script. Every episode (more or less) is following a set pattern. A new character from the main character's school is introduced or simply "focused upon" and turns out to be a member of the Glittering Crux, a fact that was already obvious. Sometime during the second half of the episode the "Zero Time" will be triggered and the hero will have to fight this person in a mech battle that despite the fluid animations and vivid colors is surprisingly boring to watch. Rinse, repeat.
Utena was like that as well. Only difference, it was interesting.

Quote:
Perhaps the fight scenes would be more meaningful had the characters and their chemistry been any good but unfortunately they're not. In fact, even the three main characters manage to disappoint. Takuto is a prime example of how insanely boring an I-don't-even-want-to-hurt-the-bad-guys-let's-all-be-friends kind of protagonist is to watch and to make it even worse he is irritatingly one-dimensional, as is the other male lead. Sure, as it turns out Sugata has a reason for acting distant and unemotional but it doesn't change the fact that such characters are quite uninteresting to watch unless they're handled really well, which Sugata was not in my opinion.
Rurouni Kenshin and Trigun are also guilty.

Quote:
I still think that projects like Star Driver are needed, especially now, and had they only been working with a decent story and a decent set of characters it would have turned out much better.

The verdict: 4/10. The visual quality of the show and some interesting design choices saved it from an even lower rating.
Amen.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 11:30   Link #3047
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Spoiler for CG Kanako is a pure win.:
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 02:54   Link #3048
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Exclamation Bandai Entertainment Licenses Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto Anime!

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...o-takuto-anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
The North American anime distributor Bandai Entertainment announced at its Sakura-Con panel on Saturday that it acquired the Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto television anime series.

The "school robot action" story is set on a verdant island called Southern Cross, where a boy named Takuto Tsunashi arrives one night by swimming ashore. He enrolls in the island's high school academy, which happens to conceal a secret — about 20 giant humanoid machines underground.

Takuya Igarashi (Soul Eater, Ouran High School Host Club) directed the series with screenwriter Yoji Enokido (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Aim for the Top 2! Gunbuster 2), character designer Yoshiyuki Ito (Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater), and composer Satoru Kousaki (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Bakemonogatari). The anime premiered in Japan last October, and it just ended on April 3.
If they don't english dub this show, I'm not gonna bother renting or buying their DVDs.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 08:04   Link #3049
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirou Emiya View Post
If they don't english dub this show, I'm not gonna bother renting or buying their DVDs.
im not from the USA but im curious on your reply, is their a Bandai licensed anime that was not english dubbed?

and if ever this is dubbed i wanna here the maiden songs in english
Old 2011-04-24, 09:58   Link #3050
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Bandai has licensed some shows that they didn't dub (like Kannagi) and most anime songs don't get dubbed in English anyway, it sounds like it's a lot of extra work and simpler to leave it in Japanese.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 10:00   Link #3051
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

@wandering-dreamer

aw thats a bad sign because Kannagi is more popular than Star Driver if im right, but thanks for the info
Old 2011-04-24, 12:34   Link #3052
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well, Kannagi may have been popular in Japan but I have never heard people talk about it in the US while I have heard people around here talk about SD. You have to remember, what's popular in Japan isn't necessarily popular in the rest of the world and vice-versa, not sure if that even factors into if a show gets a dub or not.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 09:49   Link #3053
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Innocent Blue song by Mizuno is out!!! http://ninteenpointzerofour.wordpres...t-blue-lyrics/
Old 2011-04-30, 13:46   Link #3054
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Just finished watching it, this show its more that meets the eye that's for sure, it drags you to its level, the music choosed for this show, the music arrangements, music choreography, are Kajiura level i swear (though a different style from her) it was one of the parts that impressed me the most, like all Bones animes animation quality is certainly great especially in 1080p splendor, first time i saw the mech i thought wtf is that ugly thing, as the show progressed i gradually ended up liking the mech more and more, story was entertaining, characters where pretty rad, i ended up with Keito as my favorite, South Maiden being a second. The Monochrome song is just to awesome .
Old 2011-04-30, 22:21   Link #3055
Jeffry2009
Banned

Old 2011-05-07, 09:23   Link #3056
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Star Driver website demonstrates what really get on my nerves...
Once a show is over, no need to update the website anymore, except for merchandises.

I'm a little selfish on this, but I was very interested by the Cybodies design.
And I'm afraid the official art (+ colors) will never be upload.

Damn you, Bones !
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 17:07   Link #3057
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post
Star Driver website demonstrates what really get on my nerves...
Once a show is over, no need to update the website anymore, except for merchandises.

I'm a little selfish on this, but I was very interested by the Cybodies design.
And I'm afraid the official art (+ colors) will never be upload.

Damn you, Bones !
Thats because most of the hype is over , maybe if specials/OVAs came out it would get more attention needed for those cybodies design but that wont happen.
The ending was too... well... blatant . To the point , it didn't give us that 'wow whats gonna happen next' .
It was a 'its done , good game , no more. Peace'
Old 2011-07-13, 07:31   Link #3058
Jeffry2009
Banned

Sad that still no more news about Star Driver though...

Anyway...

Spoiler for What IF Takuto Joins the Crux?:

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-07-13 at 11:01.
Old 2011-07-13, 08:44   Link #3059
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jix View Post
im not from the USA but im curious on your reply, is their a Bandai licensed anime that was not english dubbed?

and if ever this is dubbed i wanna here the maiden songs in english
Bandai lately never dubs an anime they license.

Examples: Tales of the Abyss and Hayate the Combat Butler!
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 15:32   Link #3060
Jeffry2009
Banned

Spoiler for Star Driver in Tales of Xillia (PS3):

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen