AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-01-19, 16:55   Link #2041
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Shocking narrative of a Canadian citizen's detention by immigration officials at Narita.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banya...ration-control
While the details are shaky, and it appears he may have overstayed his visa, the Amnesty International reports strongly suggest to me he's telling the truth. What a terrible system. I cannot picture how I would react in such a situation, must have been a peerless level of frustration.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 08:18   Link #2042
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Because they are carrying it into the sea, as the picture descripton clearly states.
You don't jump into the water with your clothes on, right?

Another thing: this seems to be a Yakuza festivity? Or whats with all the tattooed guys?
matsuri is an non-ordinary day where social rules and hierarchy are allowed to be disregarded to a certain extent.

This is why the yakuza who are meant to keep a low profile and keep their tattoos hidden, are allowed to flaunt it in public.

Other groups of people such as the prostitues and other women in the entertainment industry who are meant to be in the underground take part in the matsuri too.
Cross dressing is also a big part of the matsuri in some areas.

On a different angle though, Yakuza and shinto are more closer than it is Yakuza and Buddhism.
In part, this can seem this way because the right wing activists believe the emperor should be ruling Japan = emperor as god is the teaching of Shintoism= right wing activists are often members of the Yakuza= Yakuza is shinto.

Or, it is because the Yakuza culture is deeply connected with the Shintoist rituals, such as exchanging of sake cups for loyalty. If your "Kumi/family" is Shinto, then members will start observing religion too.

And maybe because they are superstitious since they are reliant on themselves and not police etc due to the nature of their business (crimes, gambling etc) and praying to the Shinto shelf in the morning and before important events becomes a important part of their lives.

However, in reality religion is free as a yakusa, its just that shinto has many public occasions that grab attention.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 13:40   Link #2043
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAlphaDuck View Post
How could any one be unhappy about this lot coming to their country?

http://www.asianbite.com/photos/akb4...ages_24005.jpg

[edit - yes my picture broke the board, no i'm not sorry]
Oh please, K-pop has been doing this much longer, all while playing censorship chicken with the Korean Censorship board (You get the occassional topic about how x video will be banned in Korea because it is too sexy for the censors). AKB48 comes off as "refreshing" for those who are not used J-Idol being all sexy and even then it is still somewhat conservative compared to Korea which does a bit of male k-pop x female k-pop group duets. And some can get pretty feisty.
Old 2012-01-21, 14:43   Link #2044
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
How could any one be unhappy about this lot coming to their country?
Having a bunch of relatively untalented girls come over? That'll only fit a niche market. They wouldn't be considered "refreshing" to most people: they'll be considered to be comical parodies of idols, and not worth broadcasting except for one or two cable channels, unless they're part of some J-Pop relay concert.

This isn't even taking into consideration how Korean fans of AKB48 feel neglected by the group itself.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 14:57   Link #2045
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Having a bunch of relatively untalented girls come over? That'll only fit a niche market. They wouldn't be considered "refreshing" to most people: they'll be considered to be comical parodies of idols, and not worth broadcasting except for one or two cable channels, unless they're part of some J-Pop relay concert.

This isn't even taking into consideration how Korean fans of AKB48 feel neglected by the group itself.
I look at the group and simply think "manufactured" .... a good idol or idol group appears to be natural, have a bit of quirky girl next door, and doesn't look like a communist propaganda lock-step group. Its an intangible quality but sometimes the producer/managers just fail to mask any insincerity with their product.
Old 2012-01-21, 15:00   Link #2046
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I look at the group and simply think "manufactured" .... a good idol or idol group appears to be natural, have a bit of quirky girl next door, and doesn't look like a communist propaganda lock-step group. Its an intangible quality but sometimes the producer/managers just fail to mask any insincerity with their product.
THE iDOLM@STER
Old 2012-01-21, 15:23   Link #2047
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I honestly don't understand what the problem is.

You are a person with a certain taste of music. You choose to listen to the music you like. You ignore the music you don't like.
If you don't like K-pop, you don't watch K-pop shows.
If some broadcaster always shows K-pop and you hate K-pop I know of a program that you might want to delete from your TV set.
There, problem solved. No reason to go all hating and xenophobic on them.

I certainly ignore all the idol crap they show on German TV and believe me, it's everywhere. Still I don't care. I just don't watch it and that's it.
I also don't hate on the evil foreigners of the U.S. of A., or the broadcasters that support them, for exporting all those hiphop clowns. They too get ignored.
Somehow the evil conspiracy can't get to me this way.

TV is a passive medium and you either consume it, or you don't. No reason to get worked up over it, ever.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 19:19   Link #2048
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
While the details are shaky, and it appears he may have overstayed his visa, the Amnesty International reports strongly suggest to me he's telling the truth. What a terrible system. I cannot picture how I would react in such a situation, must have been a peerless level of frustration.
I doubt it.
Quote:
Guards tried to extort money from him and at one point even threatened to shoot him, he says—unless he purchased a wildly expensive ticket for his own deportation, including an overt kick-back for his tormentors. Once he was separated from his belongings, money was stolen from his wallet and other items removed from his baggage (as he has reported to the Tokyo police).
Guards do not possess guns and money extortion doesn't make any sense since they can't make money out of that transaction.
Another point would be why was his name listed within a watch list?
Last is his occupation, as a freelance journalist he gain tremendously by extending the truth to make a sensational report selling his piece to an unexpected publisher.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 19:39   Link #2049
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I doubt it.

Guards do not possess guns and money extortion doesn't make any sense since they can't make money out of that transaction.
Another point would be why was his name listed within a watch list?
Last is his occupation, as a freelance journalist he gain tremendously by extending the truth to make a sensational report selling his piece to an unexpected publisher.
Perhaps he's embellishing his account, but the Amnesty reports raise an eyebrow and certainly preclude me from being as skeptical as I normally would. Maybe he's taking advantage of that fact. But when I read the report, I started digging a bit and found other, disturbing articles like this one : http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/12/30...-ghanaian-man/

They sure do take immigration seriously? Why can't these weirdos just relax? I can't even picture caring, let alone abusing people over something so trivial.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 20:12   Link #2050
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
They sure do take immigration seriously? Why can't these weirdos just relax? I can't even picture caring, let alone abusing people over something so trivial.
Bureaucratic extremism.
Old 2012-01-25, 09:59   Link #2051
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Alright. Japan has upped the ante with this PV. I don't think for a moment that any of the K-pop Girls will stoop to this level. But I'm always up for any surprise. I know for one that many male fans will go wild should SNSD pulled this kind of stunt.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2012-01-25 at 10:28. Reason: Better quality vid
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 10:20   Link #2052
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Alright. Japan has upped the ante with this PV. I don't think for a moment that any of the K-pop Girls will stoop to this level. But I'm always up for any surprise. I know for one that many male fans will go wild should SNSD pulled this kind of stunt.
The Korea Communications Commission will most likely take care of any such attempt.
Old 2012-01-25, 12:02   Link #2053
sneaker

Quote:
The case you linked seems pretty normal - people die when they resists the police, especially if officers are badly trained and/or equipped. A few years ago there was a very similar case in Germany, in which an African died on the plane. The border troop members had him handcuffed, put on him some kind of (biker?) helmet and pushed him down IIRC, eventually choking him to death.
There have been similar cases in other countries, like Austria, too.

Don't know what to say about that Canadian guy, though. I kinda share Tri-ring's skepticism, but on the other hand it does not sound that unbelievable, even if some details might be wrong and overblown to make a nice article.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 15:10   Link #2054
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

What are the current outlook of Japanese economy among the Japanese people today? I just heard that Japan had a trade deficit, something that Japan did not had for over 30years.
Old 2012-01-25, 15:18   Link #2055
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Seems a likely consequence of the earthquake to me. It took a lot of Japanese manufacturing capability off-line, especially in the automotive industry. US production of JP cars slowed considerably here in the latter half of the year because parts were simply unavailable. I'd guess their trade balance will move into the black as manufacturing comes back.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 18:24   Link #2056
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Shocking narrative of a Canadian citizen's detention by immigration officials at Narita.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banya...ration-control

And more about festivals and yakuza:

http://shisaku.blogspot.com/2012/01/...ing-there.html
Is it horrible that I found that story hilariously dramatic?
Old 2012-01-25, 22:19   Link #2057
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I think its hard to compare SDN with the main stream pop groups because SDN was made for the purpose of being more "adult" and sexy.
Its sad that SDN is graduating in March, but it shows that the fact hat Akimoto is dropping it means idol fans are not looking for explicit sexuality in idols.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 09:28   Link #2058
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
Its sad that SDN is graduating in March
Graduating from what, exactly? Lingerie design school?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 10:03   Link #2059
theAlphaDuck
is Peking

I find this aspect of Japanese Culture most interesting

http://doorknobgirl.tumblr.com/
theAlphaDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 11:07   Link #2060
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote: