Originally Posted by Who View Post
Just had to share, this being an anime forum and whatnot:

So damn true.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:48   Link #2923
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
EA's not going to kill ME, it's a cash cow. My guess is the next game will be even more actiony, less RPG-y and have a standard FPS/TPS multiplayer component.

Dumbing down is fun and profitable!
That's what they said about Command and Conquer 4.

Look, EA doesn't care if ME dies or not. It is just one cash cow out of a herd of cash cows. There is more where that came from.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:51   Link #2924
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Wait, how can there be Mass Effect 4 when the crucial technology assets, the Mass Relays, are already kaput?
Old 2012-04-09, 02:52   Link #2925
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's what they said about Command and Conquer 4.

Look, EA doesn't care if ME dies or not. It is just one cash cow out of a herd of cash cows. There is more where that came from.
Oh sure, but they'll defile and violate the corpse to wring out every bit of cash they possibly can before they discard the desiccated husk and move on to the next victim.
Old 2012-04-09, 03:21   Link #2926
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Wait, how can there be Mass Effect 4 when the crucial technology assets, the Mass Relays, are already kaput?
If they can write that terrible ending, then they can write an equally terrible reason why Mass Effect 4 can exist. Logically speaking I have no clue though. Maybe someone magically figures out the mass relay technology or something even better and fixes travel in the universe. Or the game assumes you didn't destroy the Reapers and then they help fix them.
Old 2012-04-09, 03:53   Link #2927
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Missed the point, both series were supposedly ending yet because of their popularity they get a continuation. Not a bad thing per say, but when they say something is over it used to be you'd get a new IP, now it's all remakes/reboots/restarts/re*insert*. Nothing ends anymore, it's just dropped when the money stops coming.

ME RTS, rebuild the galaxy!
In all fairness though, Bungie, the studio who made that claim and the previous Halo games, did stop developing Halo games. The studio working on Halo 4 is a different one.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 04:03   Link #2928
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
If they can write that terrible ending, then they can write an equally terrible reason why Mass Effect 4 can exist. Logically speaking I have no clue though. Maybe someone magically figures out the mass relay technology or something even better and fixes travel in the universe. Or the game assumes you didn't destroy the Reapers and then they help fix them.
Bioware implied that because the mass relays existed nobody bothered to research faster shipboard FTL drives. Which is such an astonishingly stupid statement I can't even

So yeah now that the relays are exploded... they'll just make their shipboard FTL drives faster!

*facedesk*

*facedesk*

*facedesk*
Old 2012-04-09, 04:05   Link #2929
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Yup, 343 Studios is developing Halo 4. For the most part, Bungie has stopped developing any further games on Halo.

As to a Mass Effect 4, as mentioned ME3 was only supposed to be the end of Shepard's story, but not the Mass Effect setting as a whole. The Bioware PAX panel did supposedly clear up some issues about the ending, mainly maintaining that the galaxy isn't as massively screwed as some pessimists say, so a sequel without Shepard would be a nice thing to see.

I can actually imagine a ME4 being a game where you can finally choose your RACE to play. The ME3 MP already laid down the foundation for that aspect, so why not develop a singleplayer game based on that? Wishful thinking, but I'd like to dream.

Quote:
Bioware implied that because the mass relays existed nobody bothered to research faster shipboard FTL drives. Which is such an astonishingly stupid statement I can't even

So yeah now that the relays are exploded... they'll just make their shipboard FTL drives faster!
You forget that necessity is the mother of all invention, so that statement actually makes sense. Most of the technologies we use in our day-to-day lives were invented out of necessity combined with being economically feasible.

I mean, look at the world today. We have the technology to create large supersonic aircraft capable of travelling around the world in less than half a day. And yet all the world's airlines still use subsonic airliners, and the only supersonic airliner that did become operational - the Concorde - had been retired for years. For the Mass Effect-verse, I can certainly imagine that it's much more economical to use standard FTL for interstellar hops, and that for intra-galactic travel using the Mass Relays would be more economical than trying to create super-FTL craft. But now that the Mass Relays are bust, then they'll need to start cranking up the development of FTL faster than what they currently have.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 04:13   Link #2930
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Thing is, relays are known. Relays are big, obvious targets. That nobody researched faster FTL drives for an advantage in combat, especially considering how many wars the ME universe seems to fight...

It seems like a rather... unwise oversight. Your example works for commercial flights, but it fails hard when talking about military fighting craft. Sure, the world's airlines use subsonic airliners, but what about jet fighters?
Old 2012-04-09, 04:18   Link #2931
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Thing is, relays are known. Relays are big, obvious targets. That nobody researched faster FTL drives for an advantage in combat, especially considering how many wars the ME universe seems to fight...

It seems like a rather... unwise oversight. Your example works for commercial flights, but it fails hard when talking about military fighting craft. Sure, the world's airlines use subsonic airliners, but what about jet fighters?
Most combat aircraft developed in the 60's and 70's were spec'd to reach Mach 2 or faster, with advanced prototypes and some operational craft reaching Mach 3 (The Mig-25 Foxbat and the SR-71 Blackbird for example). While combat aircraft in the last three decades? They're spec'd to reach Mach 1.2 at fastest. Yes, our combat aircraft became slower, but they become more advanced instead. In standard combat operations, most aircraft don't even breach the sound barrier, instead spending most of their flight time in subsonic cruising speed. Also, notice that more and more combat operations are being conducted using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), many of which aren't designed to go supersonic, even the latest prototypes. Finally, note that the large majority of aircraft in Air Forces around the world - attack aircraft, heavy bombers, transports, reconnaissance, AWAC etc... - are all subsonic aircraft.

We have the technology to make ALL our military aircraft go supersonic. But we don't, because it's simply uneconomical at best.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-04-09, 04:25   Link #2932
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I know you're right, but please don't defend even the tiniest piece of ME3's terrible ending. It's just not very dignified.
Old 2012-04-09, 04:31   Link #2933
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I know you're right, but please don't defend even the tiniest piece of ME3's terrible ending. It's just not very dignified.
Who says I'm defending the ending? I'm just saying that just because a particular technology exists, doesn't mean it'll easily become widespread or researched with much gusto. Many factors come into play as to whether a technology quickly ripens into general use or turtles along to completion, most due to economy and politico-social factors. It's why flying cars aren't a fact of life today even though the technology to build them exists. (Well, flying cars in general, and not the sci-fi levitating cars).

Old 2012-04-09, 04:41   Link #2934
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Makes sense, why would those galactic governments research making their ships go faster when they can make their guns bigger?

Old 2012-04-09, 04:44   Link #2935
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Makes sense, why would those galactic governments research making their ships go faster when they can make their guns bigger?

That, or more guns

And dancers-

*static*

Old 2012-04-09, 06:00   Link #2936
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Mass Effect 4's FTL problems will be fixed when a new race from the Ida Galaxy turn up to share their inter-galactic hyperdrive tech. Oh, they'd also like a hand with these pesky AI spiders someone made.
Old 2012-04-09, 06:50   Link #2937
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Mass Effect 4's FTL problems will be fixed when a new race from the Ida Galaxy turn up to share their inter-galactic hyperdrive tech. Oh, they'd also like a hand with these pesky AI spiders someone made.
Send in the Krogan.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:09   Link #2938
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Completely off topic to the subject at hand but for those who play the MP with any frequency did you receive your victory or commendation packs from last weeks challenge ??

It ended a week ago but I didn't get anything even though I promoted 2 classes and such =/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:08   Link #2939
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Completely off topic to the subject at hand but for those who play the MP with any frequency did you receive your victory or commendation packs from last weeks challenge ??

It ended a week ago but I didn't get anything even though I promoted 2 classes and such =/
There was some sort of duping exploit going on so they temporarily stopped handing them out. They've been working on a fix which will supposedly be done sometime this week. At this point I really just wish I had my lv 20 Salarian Infiltrator back.

...It's kind of sad when a gameplay question can be considered to be offtopic in a game's thread.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 13:48   Link #2940
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah. I wish I could even participate in these events. Sadly, PS3 people were solemnly ignored, when it comes to that...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, games, mass