AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-04, 04:40   Link #41
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I still think Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen is the best movie in the franchise, though. It'll a lot to top that achievement.
Good news for you then. Rumor has it that Tsuiokuhen will be the third of the three-part project, next up likely being Kyoto-hen. Apparently stems from various tweets from the director and visual director's hints about the sequels.
I wonder if the Tsuioku-hen and Jinchu-hen will be mashed together since they are basically two sides of the same storyline, past and present.
Old 2012-12-04, 08:58   Link #42
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Good news for you then. Rumor has it that Tsuiokuhen will be the third of the three-part project, next up likely being Kyoto-hen... I wonder if the Tsuioku-hen and Jinchu-hen will be mashed together since they are basically two sides of the same storyline, past and present.
I meant the Tsuiokuhen anime OAV, not the manga arc. And I'm not sure if I'd look forward to the live-action version, because my expectations would be pitched so high that I'm almost doomed to be disappointed. As it were, I wasn't terrifically pleased by the way the movie handled a key scene from the Tsuiokuhen arc.

Spoiler for the origin of Kenshin's first scar, in live-action and animation:

I can easily understand why the scene was written and directed the way it was in this movie (it was necessary to show newcomers how Kenshin was once a different man who had since come to heavily regret his bloody past), but I shudder at what it might portend for the live-action adaptation of Kenshin's most heartrending memories.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 23:33   Link #43
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Since this is one of my all-time favorite animes (granted, I've only seen the series and not the OVAs, and haven't read much of the manga), based on that trailer... well, I suppose this is why the Internet is one's friend in cases like this.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 08:35   Link #44
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
well, apparently they won't show it nationwide, just certain cities. they won't show it in my city. oh well, i wasn't expecting much anyway. if they don't show it in the cinemas then i'll wait for it to be uploaded on streaming sites.
It's out now and exclusively in local SM Cinemas. Subtitled and rated... PG without cuts. Gonna try jonesin for a ticket this coming weekend.
Old 2012-12-06, 10:03   Link #45
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
What happened to all of Japan's badass actors from 70s and 80s chanbara and yakuza films, and now everyone looks so gay

Even his scar looks more like lipstick... probably not to scare schoolgirls
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 10:20   Link #46
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I watched the movie a while ago with MeoTwister5. XP

I fangasmed when Kenshin did the Battou Jutsu stance. *_*

And yes, the actors were definitely amazing. Takeru Sato was a very good Kenshin as well.
Can't wait for the sequels!

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 10:29   Link #47
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
I watched the movie a while ago with MeoTwister5. XP

I fangasmed when Kenshin did the Battou Jutsu stance. *_*

And yes, the actors were definitely amazing. Takeru Sato was a very good Kenshin as well.
Can't wait for the sequels!
LIES AND SLANDER!

Kenshin was a tad bit too boyish for my tastes, though it's really part of his character.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 10:47   Link #48
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
LIES AND SLANDER!

Kenshin was a tad bit too boyish for my tastes, though it's really part of his character.

What, did you want a woman playing Kenshin?! D:

Takeru Sato was good. Kenshin ain't a woman. He's a scrawny dude with incredible speed.
The only reason he'd be "feminine" is because his Japanese voice actor was a woman (which I dislike, and you know why. XP).

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram

Last edited by Pink Cow; 2012-12-06 at 10:59.
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 10:56   Link #49
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
what, did you want a woman playing Kenshin?! D:
A man (that species that is almost extinct), neither a shouta nor a yuri
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 11:04   Link #50
larethian

Watched this with my wife while we're back in town for these 2 weeks. Surprised that only 2 cinemas are showing it here. Comparing to other live action shows, this is a definite A+. It was really great seeing some of the manga moves without fantastic CGs. Ryuutsuisen, a adapted variant of Ryuukansen, and of course that Souryuusen against Jin-E! I suddenly feel like digging out my Chinese version of the manga to read it again.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 12:43   Link #51
inisipis

Just watched it in the local cinema, to a full-house I might add.

I should say it is definitely one of the most satisfying Anime to live movie adaptation that I had ever seen.

The film is really fun to watch and would generally pleased most fans of the series which the producers of the film seems to had taken into account when they're making it. The characters all seems to have jumped out the page manga pages into the silver screen with such authenticity that one find it too uncanny. Even to those who are not familiar to the original anime/manga will find the film a joy to watch and the characters endearing.

The sword fight is totally spectacular,one of the best I've seen. The fight choreography is brilliantly inspired. not mind-numbing or gruesome like most recent samurai films tends to be like the 13 assassins. It was deftly played with the movements flowing out naturally in order to heighten the tension of the action without being too mechanically worked upon.

The script expertly delves upon the basic essential of the early story of the series, focusing on the characterization of kenshin in the new world that he's in and forces that shapes him and the people he's with now. Keeping it within a story bound that will not confuse first time viewers from the vast intricate plot of the manga. Hopefully those can dealt in future sequels.

This is probably the closest to realism that an anime live-action film can be without looking like a super sentai show, yet delivers all the bells and whistles we love from the original anime series. The story, the adventure, the super human-fantasy that's firmly well grounded.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 09:04   Link #52
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Definitely worth the wait They were able to cover quite a lot of the major plot points while telling a reasonably coherent story considering the size of the source they had to work with- Personally I was surprised that they touched on part 1 of how he got his scar. Downside is though, characters like Sano and Yahiko don't really play anything significant to the story (but that can't be helped) Same could be said for Saito but at least it wasn't so obvious with him.

But the most important thing of course is the action, and man did they delivered that with style That's some of the best martial arts fight scene I've seen all year- The only other movie that came close was Damnation () It's a shame that you couldn't really tell the different swordman's style from one or the other once they go all out... Also, this isn't really a negative or anything, but I noticed that live action Kenshin seems to favor empty-hand combat as oppose to his Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Once again, not a complaint it's just something different...

All in all a good solid movie and a perfect example of a proper live action adaptation *cough*
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 02:03   Link #53
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Just watched Rurouni Kenshin live action in theaters.
It's freaking epic. Still, i'm wondering how they will do the kyoto arc and the battle between saito and kenshin.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 20:35   Link #54
tarachi
Observer

If they ever do kyoto arc, I think they'll cut the juppon gang and maybe leave key characters. The event could be the assassination, then the "convincing/travel to kyoto", (not sure if they can put a training scenario", then the boss fight.
tarachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 23:00   Link #55
sa547
*Author

I'd like to see if the movie also have these "Oro?!" moments just like in the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI_QJOzzCks

Gonna try to catch it later this afternoon.
Old 2012-12-10, 00:08   Link #56
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
She's one of the new characters, along with the main villain of the movie. Megumi becomes slightly implausible somewhere in the middle of the show, but she nonetheless adds interesting chemistry to the main cast.

Megumi's a manga character... flirted with Kenshin to make Karou jealous just like in the movie, but kinda had a thing with Sano which wasn't shown in the movie.

Quote:
As it were, I wasn't terrifically pleased by the way the movie handled a key scene from the Tsuiokuhen arc.
Yeah I wasn't really happy with that scene either, worked in context with the movie though but it just felt wrong... apart from that it was pretty damn good.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 03:32   Link #57
ronin myael
lost ronin

Well, I finally got to see the movie yesterday. It was good and probably the best live action adaptation of a shonen manga that I’ve seen so far, but it was hardly great. I can understand the hype since it is "Samurai X", after all. Even non-anime otakus know Kenshin. But I don’t understand why most people think that it’s a nearly perfect film. The first half of the film was boring, I remember squirming in my seat and egging the plot to move along. The visuals were good but some of the fight scenes could have used some improvement, the mass battle scenes could have been choreographed better. I didn’t care much for the wuxia-esque acrobatics either. I know that Kenshin typically does these maneuvers with ease in the original series but this is live action and I expected a more realistic approach to Kenshin’s hiten mitsurugi ryu. He is still human after all, not a chakra-wielding-godlike-saiyan samurai. However, I did like the one-on-one battles, the filmmakers really did justice to Kenshin’s almost superhuman speed and agility. The movie covered the first few story arcs in the manga and stayed remarkably faithful to them despite the addition of some characters, omissions and changes. As a fan of the series, I could honestly say that they tried their very best to capture the essence of the original manga and for that I’m grateful.

I have no complaints about the cast save for Takei Emi who played Kaoru and of course Sato Takeru as Kenshin. Emi did well but she lacked the fire and tomboyish nature of Kaoru. She’s far too pretty and girlish to be Kaoru. I’ve never been very fond of Takeru as an actor and there’s a reason for it. I’ve seen his other movies and dramas and he always has that same bland acting and brooding expression that inexplicably annoys me. His acting in this movie leaves much to be desired. I simply couldn’t see him as Kenshin, not the character I know from the original series. But to be fair, he managed to make me laugh once or twice so I suppose he’s okay. I would’ve probably liked the movie more if they had cast a more capable actor as Kenshin though. Sorry Takeru fans, no offense. But I did love the rest of the cast. My favorites are Aoi Yu as Megumi and Aoki Munetaka as Sano. I was a bit disappointed when I first saw Yu as Megumi since I had always pictured Megumi as very beautiful but Yu quickly drove away my disappointment with her almost perfect portrayal of the character. Munetaka was the one bright spot that made me enjoy the second half of the film. Without him and his antics, I doubt the movie would have been as entertaining. Eguchi Yosuke as Saito Hajime/Fujita Gorou and Tanaka Taketo as Yahiko are honorable mentions.

I give this film a rating of three out of five stars for the faithful adaptation, the one-on-one fight scenes, the humor, the visuals and the performance of actors like Munetaka and Yu. All in all, it’s a good film and a must-see for Rurouni Kenshin fans. I do hope the rumors are true that they’re planning a sequel as early as now. The Shishio and Revenge story arcs should be much more interesting. I would like to see Kenshin’s bloody past as the Choshu Ishin Shishi assassin and his tragic romance with Yukishiro Tomoe finally explored since this was omitted in the anime so most non-manga readers are not aware of this story at all. Here’s to hoping for a sequel!
Old 2012-12-10, 04:03   Link #58
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

I take this film like batman begins. If they will ever make a sequel, i hope it will be much much better than the first film. As i said, i think the film is epic but i give it a 7.5/10 overall. I need to rewatch it as soon as possible though.
Old 2012-12-10, 06:31   Link #59
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
I take this film like batman begins. If they will ever make a sequel, i hope it will be much much better than the first film. As i said, i think the film is epic but i give it a 7.5/10 overall. I need to rewatch it as soon as possible though.
hmmm... only i thought christian bale is the best batman ever, i didn't think much of takeru as kenshin. sorry, can't help it. that's just my opinion though. let's hope they cast great actors for shishio and perhaps aoshi that will give us unforgettable performances just like what heath ledger did with the joker character.
Old 2012-12-10, 07:25   Link #60
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
hmmm... only i thought christian bale is the best batman ever, i didn't think much of takeru as kenshin. sorry, can't help it. that's just my opinion though. let's hope they cast great actors for shishio and perhaps aoshi that will give us unforgettable performances just like what heath ledger did with the joker character.
lol can't argue about takeru. I think he is much more suited as battousai than Kenshin.(Yeah, i know they are the same person but whatever i'm trying to make a point here xD) Let's just hope that if there will be ever a 2nd film, i hope takeru will do a better job and yeah, i hope shishio will be also a chaotic, astounding villain like heath ledger's joker. No, it should be able to stand on it's own.