AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-02-04, 08:57   Link #41
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Oh, and i get tons of Nao vibe from Kyoko, red hair notwithstanding.
L0L. yeah, me too. she's as kickass as nao! XDD

Anyway, kyoko's wish might be actually selfless. prolly for her dying mother(l0l, nao anyone?) or something else that isn't really what she seems to appear to have wished. maybe she's actually not as b*tchy, just a facade to show she's not weak but in truth is..ah, just like nao again.XDD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 13:56   Link #42
Tenjo_Utena

I wouldn't be surprised if Kyoko's wish had something to do with consumption. She seems obsessed with eating. In every scene she's been in she's has been eating something (even in the opening credits) and her whole take on MGs versus witches is based on the food chain.

Oops, sorry, she's probably not eating in the ending credits.
Tenjo_Utena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 02:49   Link #43
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

L0L. maybe she wished for no hunger? or she was food-poisoned before. XDD she might have wished not to be hungry again therefore kyubey gave her the power to create food whenever she liked.XDD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 03:07   Link #44
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

My impression of Kyouko? I can't unsee her apparent likeness to Neena Trinity. Even her reasoning is somehow like Neena's
Old 2011-02-06, 03:12   Link #45
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenjo_Utena View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Kyoko's wish had something to do with consumption. She seems obsessed with eating. In every scene she's been in she's has been eating something (even in the opening credits) and her whole take on MGs versus witches is based on the food chain.

Oops, sorry, she's probably not eating in the ending credits.
Sounds good. Maybe something like "I wish I could have all the sweets I wanted!" and she can make sweets appear from nowhere? Would be a good show of how a MG contract might have taken advantage of naïveté.

Last edited by Decagon; 2011-02-06 at 03:17. Reason: adding stuff.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 12:48   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Perhaps Kyoko wished to be able to eat food without gaining any weight, and hence now eats all the time since she can't put on weight from doing so.
Old 2011-02-12, 23:58   Link #47
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I took her obsession with eating as an appropriate character trait relating to her attitudes towards grief seed hunting. She says herself that MGs should "farm" them, and I seem to recall that in her first appearance, she called the city her "hunting ground". Both of these comments reveal an obsession with procuring food, or in this case, grief seeds. Her views on both are the same. We know that her style is flashy, and she's not shy to use her talents, so she probably blows through her magic fast, and needs to replenish it just as quickly. Her apparently frightening metabolism might simply be a metaphor for that.

In terms of both food and grief seeds, that makes her a glutton. A gas-guzzler, if you will.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 05:55   Link #48
NutShell

kyoko wish : buuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn myyy faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
NutShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 08:10   Link #49
Seihai
スマイリウム

Kyouko reminds me of Black Lagoon's Revy. Not the eating, of course.
Old 2011-02-13, 08:23   Link #50
Jimmy C

I hope Kyoko's wish wasn't food-related, she would have just discovered that it was wasted thanks to the latest revelation.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 08:36   Link #51
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I hope Kyoko's wish wasn't food-related, she would have just discovered that it was wasted thanks to the latest revelation.
That's part of the reason why I think it might be. If Kyoko's wish is food-related, then it makes a lot of sense for her to be pissed about the latest revelation.
Old 2011-02-13, 08:52   Link #52
Seihai
スマイリウム

She would have been pissed either way. It looked more like a general reaction to me. For food-related wishes I can only imagine that, when she was in a dire situation of starvation, Kyubei came to her and 'rescued' her just like he did with Mami. But then that'd be kind of boring. And I don't see how the wish could be permanent, or how it suddenly turned her into a food-savaging girl. I think she just likes to eat. Kinda like DTB Hei, and she won't get fat because she moves around a lot.
Old 2011-02-13, 08:53   Link #53
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Kyouko reminds me of Black Lagoon's Revy. Not the eating, of course.
Really,Kyoko eats as much as Revy smokes,in fact the way she offered Homura some of her sticks made me think she was offering her a smoke lol
Old 2011-02-13, 10:02   Link #54
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Really,Kyoko eats as much as Revy smokes,in fact the way she offered Homura some of her sticks made me think she was offering her a smoke lol
I'm not sure the ratio is same but I know what ya mean, heh.

Spoiler for Kyouko:
Old 2011-02-15, 17:23   Link #55
Dr. Casey

Sakura Kyoko is one of my favorite characters in the show, if not the favorite (It's hard to choose between her and Madoka). Shame that she hasn't received too much attention around these parts, I hope that some of the future episodes will remedy that. She's fun when she's being more of a playful antagonist (I've watched the DDR scene about twenty times ), and delightfully loathsome, depraved, and morally bankrupt whenever she's being more serious of a villainess. She's one of the more genuinely intimidating and sometimes outright creepy characters I've come across in an anime, Gen does a good job infusing her with a lot of flair and style.

I'm also curious about what her backstory is - people don't become quite that fucked up without a reason. I think that maybe Kyoko, Homura, and Mami all represent the emotional toll that being a magical girl can take on a person's psyche; they're all damaged, just in different ways. Homura's kinda dead emotionally, Mami had a disassociated serenity about her, and Kyoko's an angry, deranged psychopath. Madoka is the pure, normal girl right now, and Sayaka represents the middle ground - she's a mahou shoujo, but hasn't been in the business long enough to suffer as much trauma as the three veterans, and emotionally still probably has more in common with Madoka than the fucked-up-in-the-head trio (Though episode six demonstrated clearly enough that she's heading for a breakdown herself). Anyway, I kind of went off on a tangent there, but I hope that Kyoko's backstory will be explored at some point. I've wondered if maybe Kyoko knows from personal experience about the 'wishing for someone else' thing that's been advised against. She might have just heard through the mahou shoujo grapevine, of course, but the scene with Kyoko and Sayaka outside Kamijou's apartment does make me wonder if things aren't that simple.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 15:42   Link #56
Seihai
スマイリウム

So Kyouko is all alone. She has no one she could depend on or she could ask for something. Which leaves me to assume that because she is not a grown up, since she lurks around somewhere everytime we see her and as she steals the food she savages, she is also homeless and has no money. Kyouko has only herself. But she got used to it because if she has more than herself, she will relive through her sad past again and lose everything another time.

She sees similarities in Sayaka and therefore a connection. Since she gave her advice and even helped her, the connection was already made emotionally. But, now that she may have gained something, she might relive another loss. Sayaka seemed like she is a strong person, but even she couldn't handle her own situation and finally she is mutating into something that she didn't intend to originally. Kyouko: Impossible, you... Yeah, it's too late.

Yet another comparison: Merry on crack. She cannot find home (Kyouko doesn't have one to begin with, and that destroyed place sure ain't comfortable either) and (at least till she met Yumeji) had no one that she could depend on. Nor did she intend to. Oh, and they both like to eat I guess. Though the former is more into donuts than everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
*snip*
You hit the jackpot with your post.
Old 2011-02-17, 16:23   Link #57
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Nao was one of my favorite characters in Mai Otome, and Kyoko has a lot in common with the Nao of HiME and Otome, so I have to agree. She's a real interesting character, and would probably be much like myself in that world; fighting for myself.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 18:41   Link #58
estdesoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutShell View Post
kyoko wish : buuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn myyy faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
For a while I thought you wrote "kyoko wish : burn my family", which is actually not that far away from the truth...

Now I wonder whay kind of power she has be granted with that wish of her.
estdesoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 20:12   Link #59
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Nao was one of my favorite characters in Mai Otome, and Kyoko has a lot in common with the Nao of HiME and Otome, so I have to agree. She's a real interesting character, and would probably be much like myself in that world; fighting for myself.
Except Nao did not bring her tragedy onto her mother the way Kyoko's wish and occupation eventually destroyed her family.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 20:33   Link #60
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
Except Nao did not bring her tragedy onto her mother the way Kyoko's wish and occupation eventually destroyed her family.
Hey, I never said they were the exact same. But they do have much in common. They are selfish, use the power they have to fight for themselves, are opportunistic, and have no qualms about squashing those that try to stop them, or using other people for their own benefit. They'll call people idiots that disagree, and attempt to tell them why they are wrong. And they both have a tragic past.

Even Word of God descriptions about them are near identical, heh.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters