AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-03, 21:37   Link #241
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
You know what's really hypocritical about what he said? Brainwashing that a guy has to pick one girl? What about a girl having to pick the one guy? Like Ranka who seemingly came to terms with her childish crush and moved on, only to repeat when neither she nor Alto had developed at all. Or Klan, who's doomed to love a dead guy who never returned her affections. Or Minmei who, well she's not as bad off as those two since she wasn't really into Hikaru at the start. At least not in a romantic sense. Even Misa to an extent, since she was prepared to kill herself over a stupid child-hood crush.
I'm quoting Wesley because I agree with all his posts recently

And now, I am wishing Kawamori had stuck with his original plan of a love triangle centered on Ranka, because I would have LOVED to see the audience reaction when it's a girl who can't choose and gets her harem ending (knowing some people here call Myung a whore, you know what reaction I'd expect).

Yes, I would even exchange Sheryl's for such a story, because I'm so disgusted at the ending anyway, I can't enjoy her character anymore.
Eurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 21:44   Link #242
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurys View Post
And now, I am wishing Kawamori had stuck with his original plan of a love triangle centered on Ranka, because I would have LOVED to see the audience reaction when it's a girl who can't choose and gets her harem ending (knowing some people here call Myung a whore, you know what reaction I'd expect).
You mention Myung... oh gosh, do you think Macross F would be half as good if that were the case with Ranka?

Quote:
Yes, I would even exchange Sheryl's for such a story, because I'm so disgusted at the ending anyway, I can't enjoy her character anymore.
Blasphemy! Sheryl's character has become one of the greatest female leads in Anime history. Trading her character just for a better Ranka and possibly a better ending? I wouldn't like that.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
TwilightHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 21:55   Link #243
Wesley84

Actually Sheryl took The One cliche to it's extreme. Not only was Alto the only boy for her, he was the only person period. She's more pathetic than even Ranka doggedly returning to Alto after making a clean break.

At least Ranka didn't make the entire cast act like retards, and single handiedly ruin the storyline.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 21:57   Link #244
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
You mention Myung... oh gosh, do you think Macross F would be half as good if that were the case with Ranka?
Well, if the plot, pacing, etc remain the same, of course it wouldn't be better. But then, I'd actually enjoy a truly groundbreaking resolution to a love triangle, and if Kawamori really wants to break stereotypes, what's better than a female harem lead end, huh?

Quote:
Blasphemy! Sheryl's character has become one of the greatest female leads in Anime history. Trading her character just for a better Ranka and possibly a better ending? I wouldn't like that.
Meh, although Sheryl's journey was awesome,her final destination sucks too much. I can't bear the thought of her being stuck eternally in a petty rivalry for Alto's attention, and enjoying it. I don't even wish that for Ranka. It's too demeaning for those two girls.
But that's just my opinion

Oh and looks like I disagree with Wesley again...at least Sheryl had no one to fall back to, compared to Ranka who's surrounded by two more male figures now, Brera and Ozma
Eurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 21:57   Link #245
zalem

No way I'd trade this unresolved triangle for Vampire Macross Knight. Bleh...

Plus, Sheryl was a fun character even if almost everyone else was rather boring. If she wasn't in the show I'm doubtful I'd have liked the series quite as much. I watch for plot and characters and if I hate all the characters or am ambivalent towards them I'm less likely to stick with a series. Since so much of the series was dedicated to romance, which is something I usually don't like, there has to be at least one character I give a damn about. If it was the Vampire Macross Knight scenario I'm 99% certain I would have dropped the series since there wouldn't have been enough time dedicated to the Vajra/Galaxy plotline to keep me interested.
Old 2008-10-03, 22:06   Link #246
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Actually Sheryl took The One cliche to it's extreme. Not only was Alto the only boy for her, he was the only person period. She's more pathetic than even Ranka doggedly returning to Alto after making a clean break.
"The One" cliche? You're right on that, but as opposed to Ranka's dogging, Sheryl preferred to stay strong and do things herself. Just so happens she decided to be selfish near the end and indulge in Alto even knowing that it might be pity.

But pathetic? No way! If you prefer jumpers with sporadic polygamous feelings, by all means that's fine with me. But to rag on someone because they're centered on "The One", that's uncalled for. :P

Quote:
At least Ranka didn't make the entire cast act like retards, and single handiedly ruin the storyline.
Well its kinda hard to make everyone else look bad when you yourself are at the bottom of "that" barrel eh?

Edit:

Quote:
Well, if the plot, pacing, etc remain the same, of course it wouldn't be better. But then, I'd actually enjoy a truly groundbreaking resolution to a love triangle, and if Kawamori really wants to break stereotypes, what's better than a female harem lead end, huh?
True, but I couldn't think of a better way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Quote:
Meh, although Sheryl's journey was awesome,her final destination sucks too much. I can't bear the thought of her being stuck eternally in a petty rivalry for Alto's attention, and enjoying it. I don't even wish that for Ranka. It's too demeaning for those two girls.
Eh, when you put it that way... yes, I don't like the way Sheryl's awesomeness was wasted on the ending. And as for Ranka, well I my biggest gripe with her is that she forgot her "making own path" resolution?

Quote:
Oh and looks like I disagree with Wesley again...at least Sheryl had no one to fall back to, compared to Ranka who's surrounded by two more male figures now, Brera and Ozma
Yeah, he's can be handful. Luckily I have two!

Old 2008-10-03, 22:13   Link #247
Wesley84

Quote:
Her "journey" was bullshit, precisely because she stalked Alto for the entire freaking series, and didn't interact with anyone or do anything that didn't have to do with him. Yeah, so what if that generalises things a bit. It's more or less the truth. Personally after Grace put her in her place, I felt absolutely no sympathy for her, because rather than dying, she was obsessing over how her career was supposedly in shambles, which was just stupid and overreacting.

Who cares if there's a mark down on the surplus of her CDs? Who cares if one of thousands of posters is lying in the street? How self-centered can you be? You expect the world to revolve around you or something?

I hate her. I hate the fact that so many of your fanatical about her. And I hate what she ultimately ended up doing to the series, because they put her in it.

As far as I'm concerned, the series didn't air. I'm happy with my Deculture Edition, where Sheryl wore her Holo-suit with pride.
Old 2008-10-03, 22:16   Link #248
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

^ Its interesting how as one of the biggest closet supporters of the Sheryl camp, you definitely like to put her down a lot.

Anyways, can we get back to the movie?

I know the article is legit, but I want to know if it was before or after Ep25.... so is there Magazine Name, Date interviewed/published?

Old 2008-10-03, 22:31   Link #249
Wesley84

...I think it'll be impossible to make me interested and have Alto in the movie at the same time.
Old 2008-10-03, 22:42   Link #250
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Well for me its not just the characters... I don't even know how the heck they're gonna pull this off properly...

Old 2008-10-03, 22:53   Link #251
Fran~
floating away...

Kawamori defends polygamy, period
Old 2008-10-03, 23:33   Link #252
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Golthin, you are a well known Ranka shipper who had just lost hope before ep. 25 and is now routing for a "reset", which in fact never happened (what happened is just a non "definitive" resolution). Pretending to be neutral doesn't fool anybody - I think

Just thought I'd tell you how we clearly see you
A true shipper doesn't change his opinion even when they see their girl losing, then he was not really a shipper. People that are calling either Sheryl or Ranka the winner are true shippers. then there is the type of shipper that still want either Ranka or sheryl to win but acknowledge that it is a draw. then there is people like me that don't really care which girl wins but that have an opinion of which girl is ahead or who has the best chance. Why didn't I become a shipper? Because I don't like alto, I couldn't bring myself to want either of the girls to end with him.

Take the case of M7. I don't like Basara very much, so even though I know how the LT ends in macross 7,I like the MylenexGamlin pairing more and you could call me a shipper for that paring.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 23:52   Link #253
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
A true shipper doesn't change his opinion even when they see their girl losing, then he was not really a shipper.
A true shipper? What the hell is that? Do we have separate categories for these things nowadays? That's an amusing definition you have there.

Are you also saying that fans aren't able to change their minds based on what they experience?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 23:56   Link #254
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
Kawamori defends polygamy, period
F*** polygamy! Kawamori shouldn't complain why he doesn't have a wife then.

Anyway, it's already tough to satisfy one spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend. Why put two now when he had the guts to solve such issues in all previous series (except M7)?

I never thought Kawamori would get so low.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 23:59   Link #255
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Well for me its not just the characters... I don't even know how the heck they're gonna pull this off properly...
That depends on what kind of a remake Kawamori will go for. If it's a DYRL type remake then nothing will change and we'll get to see another maybe/maybe not ending. This type of movie can be done in several ways, like:

- retelling the story from another perspective,
- retelling the story with slightly modified events so that this time around Ranka will get most attention,
- creating an original set of events that lead to a perfect equilibrium between Ranka and Sheryl in terms of chances in LT.

If he wants to create another story using the same characters then there is a slight chance we'll get a better ending. There are also chances he will concentrate on unresolved matters and add a slight peak into the future as seen at the end of DYRL. What I hope for is decisiveness from Kawamori with presenting the story and showing us what kind of world did Frontier attain in the end. What kind of life do the characters lead and with whom.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 05:16   Link #256
mechabao

Just finished re-watching DYRL and all I can say is that movie Minmei and Misa are <3. If Kawamori is serious about doing an MF retelling, we may yet see a really, really likable and more mature Ranka in the movie to make up for the lame TV version. A reworking of her character's design, mostly to make her look like she's actually 16 years old had better is also preferable though I doubt they'd actually do something like that.
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 05:20   Link #257
Wesley84

A more obviously flawed Sheryl would be great.
Old 2008-10-04, 08:50   Link #258
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechabao View Post
Just finished re-watching DYRL and all I can say is that movie Minmei and Misa are <3. If Kawamori is serious about doing an MF retelling, we may yet see a really, really likable and more mature Ranka in the movie to make up for the lame TV version. A reworking of her character's design, mostly to make her look like she's actually 16 years old had better is also preferable though I doubt they'd actually do something like that.
If we really do get a DYRL-style retelling of MF, I hope is features more violence like you know severed/squished human/zentraedi heads. Oh yeah don't forget a retelling of some of the most awesome battles from the series like Episode 7, 14 & 25.
Old 2008-10-04, 08:53   Link #259
Tabris

Quote:
But there'd be no Sheryl, or at least, a Sheryl with any character
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 09:08   Link #260
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Question

Quote:
(knowing some people here call Myung a whore, you know what reaction I'd expect).
Who calls Myung a whore? How could anyone accuse her of that, I wonder? This is the character from Macross Plus, we're talking about, right? Anyway, I've never seen her referred to as such, before...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote