AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-03-03, 19:48   Link #1
nana4ever

Characters that keeps you from fully enjoying an anime or worst made u stop watching.

Have you ever watch an anime and one character got soo much on your nerves that it got harder for you to watch the anime or worst made you ditch the anime?

Vampire knights Yuki

I know shoujo heroine usually suck, but she is on a differente level, never did i have so much disdain for a character as much as i have for her. I stop watching the anime because i couldn'T stand her. I wanted to see if she had the same personality in the manga so i decided to read the manga instead and lets just say she got on my nerve more than she did in the anime. I actually took a break from the manga for at least a year. I picked it up again three weeks ago and i had to stop again. She got worst as the chapters went on. I have seen useless characters, but this girl is the epitome of useless, and she is bringing down all the other characters around her. I am use to love triangles. I am use to the main girl being in the middle of the two guys. But yuki makes me more cringe than anything and i hope both kaname and zero ditch her ass. She just doesn't deserve neither. I don't think i've ever said that about a shoujo heroine, but she takes the cake.
Im not sure if i'll pick it up again in the future but for now i won'T touch it.

Fushigi Yûgi : Miaka and tamahome

Another shoujo heroine that got on my nerve. I was totally fine with her, until every episodes she was kept getting kidnap and the others had to save her ass each time, without her doing anything except scream tamahome's name every 2 sec. She actually made tamahome worst. I loved his character, but after awhile he became just as annoying as her. I made it throught watching the episodes. Back in the day i hated dropping an anime so i stuck around. Good thing im not like that anymore.
nana4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 20:28   Link #2
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Kirino from OreImo her pissy attitude is so annoying to the point it drives me insane. Oh yea Nabeshin Excel Saga he's more annoying than funny. Also same with Panty and Stocking with nabeshin's reason. Mikoto same reason as Kirino.

Last edited by Ichuki; 2011-03-29 at 00:44.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 21:32   Link #3
BelatedDeath

I found Kyosuke more annoying in OreImo actually. I mean his sister treats him like trash and he's aware of the fact that she's just using him for herself, but he still acts like a total and complete tool and goes around doing favours for that narcissistic hag...

Another point is Kirino getting an anime in what, 1 episode? Kinda makes the entire Bakuman series pointless if that could happen to everyone.
Old 2011-03-03, 21:33   Link #4
GreatTeacherKen

I mentioned these guys on the most hated anime character thread and they are one of the main reasons why I didn't like Green Green TV:

The Baka Trio (Ichiban-boshi, Tenjin, and Bacchi-Gu)- they are the main sources of comedy in this series. Unfortunately, I find their gimmick becomes old very quickly and they come off as obnoxious jerks. They also get way far too much screen time, which I think would have been better spent on developing the hero's romantic relationships.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 23:24   Link #5
Innotech

I have a VHS tape of Iczelion that is pretty awesome except that Nagisa is in it. thats a shame because shes the main character. she pretty much ruined the show for me. Shes a whiny little bitch even though she wants to be a pro-wrestler but she just sits and cries even worse than SAilor Moon when shes fighting someone. Then Kawaii has to go help her out or one of the other lovely iczelion.
Innotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 23:43   Link #6
InitialGT

i know its normal in the japanese language but talking in 3rd person is just incredibly annoying and hard to follow.
InitialGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 23:57   Link #7
DangoMochi

Orimura Ichika...He's the densest guy I've ever seen.

I seriously want someone to knock some sense into him
DangoMochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 02:21   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kuroko from Railgun. Like fingernails on a blackboard...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 05:39   Link #9
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangoMochi View Post
Orimura Ichika...He's the densest guy I've ever seen.

I seriously want someone to knock some sense into him
Can't argue with that. I loathe him.

But it's not so much his failure to notice girls' interest in him that gets to me. After all, this is a rather common trait in these sorts of series. I just find him obnoxious.

Here's one that I'm sure a lot of people will take exception to. Mashiro from Bakuman. He really stops me from enjoying the show fully. I can't cheer for him at all. I shan't go into details for fear of spoiling semi-recent episodes of the series, but I find him both naive and a bit of a jerk. Doesn't help that his romantic relationship is utterly incredible, in the negative sense of the word, either.

That was a lot of hate. I don't usually dislike characters in shows I like to this extent. It's a rarity, thankfully, but these two really annoyed me recently.
Old 2011-03-04, 08:00   Link #10
Ahiru77
あひる

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Can't argue with that. I loathe him.

But it's not so much his failure to notice girls' interest in him that gets to me. After all, this is a rather common trait in these sorts of series. I just find him obnoxious.

Here's one that I'm sure a lot of people will take exception to. Mashiro from Bakuman. He really stops me from enjoying the show fully. I can't cheer for him at all. I shan't go into details for fear of spoiling semi-recent episodes of the series, but I find him both naive and a bit of a jerk. Doesn't help that his romantic relationship is utterly incredible, in the negative sense of the word, either.

That was a lot of hate. I don't usually dislike characters in shows I like to this extent. It's a rarity, thankfully, but these two really annoyed me recently.
I second this.

I find the others extremely annoying all on the same level, but most of the time Mashiro seems to take the cake.
Actually the only character I still kind of like from that show is Miho.

Kazehaya from Kimi ni Todoke. At first I thought it was just Sawako and her being really slow, but no. She's actually pretty funny and cute inspite of that.
It's Kazehaya who annoys me to no end. He beats around the bush in such a weird way towards Sawako, it's ridiculous really. He just went from mr amazing smiley to super ultra nag. Just making problems out of nothing and he sure is freakin mean towards Sawako's friends. I'm sure it'll all work out brilliantly considering the nature of this show, but I don't think I'll enjoy it that much really.
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 08:40   Link #11
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Ouran High School Host Club: Haruhi

She's actually 'dead' but too bad the author and director made us that she's still alive, like a zombie with maggots still on her flesh. I cringe when she get airtime and I couldn't get pass episode 4.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 13:49   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't have a specific character.. but a certain *type* makes it extremely difficult for me to want to continue a series no matter how much I like the rest of it.

"The faux-aristocratic rich girl with THAT laugh" .. that absurd laugh that says "I need to be punched in the face and tossed in pig manure for a reality check".
Old 2011-03-04, 13:51   Link #13
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Professor in Shakugan no Shana.
The show has it's less serious moments, but he's just too off the wall and deliberately absurd. He doesn't fit at all with the semi-seriousness of most of the rest of the show. Some of the characters elsewhere are quirky but my god this guy takes the biscuit. Worst character in the show IMO.

Compared to the rest of the show he's too off the wall; the fact he's not in Shana II much so far in what I've seen has been a massive improvement for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
"The faux-aristocratic rich girl with THAT laugh" .. that absurd laugh that says "I need to be punched in the face and tossed in pig manure for a reality check".
You mean that AH-HAH-HAH-HAH? Usually whilst there hand is over there mouth. Yeah gotta agree on that. I've only been watching anime for a year or two and I've already seen that enough to find it annoying.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 15:06   Link #14
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I don't have a specific character.. but a certain *type* makes it extremely difficult for me to want to continue a series no matter how much I like the rest of it.

You mean the Noblewoman's Laugh? I hate pretty much any character like that with a fiery passion, except for Satoko (from Higurashi) and Sumi (from Moetan).
Old 2011-03-04, 15:25   Link #15
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I like the Noblewoman's Laugh when it is pulled of for comedy (such as Renge in Ouran High School Host Club. Her's it quite over the top and I find is funny).

What bothers me sometimes though is the superfluous subplot character. The person that is around only for some subplot that really doesn't need to be in the story at all and only servers as basically filler without being filler. At least in a drama. In a comedy it is only a problem if the subplot isn't funny, or isn't funny enough compared to the main plot or characters (basically wasting screentime that would have been better spent on the other characters/plot). This is even worse if the main plot is rushed because there was so much time spent on the subplot that wasn't needed. I'll use CLANNAD as an example even though I actually liked the subplots in it. There was a large complaint from several areas about Fuuko's arc...spending a long period of time on it that wasn't spent on other characters, like say Kyou or Tomoyo (who would get their own OVAs later anyway). Add to this Fuuko's random appearances later in the first season. These got on some people's nerves. I found it funny because it was Fuuko afterall. Her arc was what it was and it did serve its purpose in setting the tone of what CLANNAD had in it...supernatural element.

And of course Fuuko got the last word in the main series anyway.
Old 2011-03-04, 15:29   Link #16
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Almost all harem leads, notable exceptions are Ayumu@KoreZon, Butarou@MM!, Akuto@DaiMaou, Araragi@Bakemonogatari, Makoto@SchoolDays, and my hero Keita@Inukami!

Worst recent culprit is Ichika@I.S
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 23:40   Link #17
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Touma from Index

The guy just comes off as too self righteous for my taste even if this guy is a break form all those other leads, he is too onedimensional and he comes off as a jerk rather than a badass.
Old 2011-03-05, 23:57   Link #18
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
A combination of Sae's voice and her personality and the ridiculousness or her arc made me drop Amagami SS.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 00:05   Link #19
Ascendant

Kenshi from Isekai no Seikishi. implausibly good at everything, except for a complete lack of personality and the behavior of a wild beast. watched up to episode 6/7 and just had to drop the series.
Ascendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 00:26   Link #20
Genten
has a custom user title

I can't recall too many characters that have turned me off from an anime series entirely but I think I can pull up a few examples.

The one that stands out most in my mind are the twins, Hikaru and Kaoru, from Ouran High School Host Club. I really like OHSHC because it is funny, the guys are cute, and the romance is actually very sweet. However, the twins really hinder my enjoyment of the show. I can't pinpoint what I really can't stand about them but they rub me the wrong way. It isn't the 'twincest' angle (although I really dislike twincest in general) but their constant appearances and teasings of Haruhi. I just. . . really, really can't stand them. I cringe about every time they have a line of dialogue. Perhaps it is the fact that they are nearly completely identical twins, which are usually an excuse for bad characterization in anime, that turns me off. Whatever is it, I just can't enjoy OHSHC because of them.

And while I do still enjoy the anime, Maki from My Bride is a Mermaid makes me want to smash my head into a wall. One of the tropes so prevelant in comedy anime that I absolutely can't stand is the girls that beat up the main character for no apparent reason. Maki takes this trope and amplifies it 10x. Not only does she constantly beat up the main character and manipulate the other people around him to hate him as well; she continues to do this even when Sun, who is going to be marrying the main character (Nagasaki) and is Maki's reason for hating him, tells her that she is happy with this decision and to stop trying to hurt him. Maki still tries to kill Nagasaki (not just injure, full out slaughter) even though she knows it will force Sun, argueably the most important person to her, to fall into a deep depression and never forgive her. She is such a completely selfish and horrible character that a part of me dies whenever she appears on screen. Yet I still enjoy the anime because, thankfully, she doesn't appear that often.

On an amusing side note, Asuna from Negima! (the manga) used to be a character that kept me from fully enjoying the series. However, she has soon grown to be a favorite character of mine due to her immense development over the course of the series. Just shows that these hated characters can grow into ones you like