AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-04-06, 20:11   Link #1
serbian otaku #1

Imabi- a site for learning japanese for free

I accidentally found this site when i was looking for something to supplement my current studies, and it's pretty much the best one i found

I recommend it to everyone who wants to start learning japanese, but doesn't want to spend money on private tutoring (like me)!

IMABI
serbian otaku #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 20:43   Link #2
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

OP, I went to imabi.com and found a website full of bisexual wonders. Then I realized you are talking about imabi.net. Whoops!

Being serious, nice find. Being that this is an anime board, some people will really like this site. You have experience with Japanese language learning material. Can you tell us how good this website is?

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2014-04-06 at 21:04.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 06:33   Link #3
serbian otaku #1

Classes there are quite good, but since i'm not directly learning from them, but using them to supplement my studies, i can only vaguely answer you question.

Lessons there are, like i said, quite good, the best ones i found online for free. Now, if you properly learn, it all depends on you (i think that the most optimal way would be to learn a new lesson 3 times a week, and in between to practice what you learned, especially Kanji (for which i recommend something like Anki). And the time you spend learning it everyday should be somewhere around 1,5-2 hours, also remember to keep a notebook of some sorts to write in it, everything (kanji, questions, examples...)) then you have nothing to fear. It's true that japanese is very hard language for foreigners to learn, but if you give it your all, then you should see the results pretty soon (Also, if you're learning it, you MUST learn Hiragana and Katakana properly, they're essential for everything japanese, especially grammar).

Also, a very big plus for this site is that Seth Coonrod (the maker of IMABI) always answers you questions, so if you don't understand something, just ask him
Old 2014-04-07, 17:17   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Sounds like a good resource for those very serious about learning the language. I had an interest in learning Japanese in the past, but lost interest in it as I have no practical use for learning it. If I was in the JET program or something, and stayed there after the JET program, of course I'd want to become good at the language. But without circumstances like that, what use would it be for me? To better understand anime without subtitles or be able to read Japanese text? Sure, some learn the language because of reasons like that, but I personally don't want to invest time and effort (a lot of it) just for that.
Old 2014-04-07, 18:46   Link #5
serbian otaku #1

Yup, i understand you One of the main reasons why i'm learning japanese is because i want to read japanese books in their original form (Their crime novels, Genji no Monogatari, and LN's among others...). As for the effort, yes, it's needed, like it's needed for everything else.

And that JET program, you don't know how jealous i am for you guys that can apply for it, because my country isn't part of it, i can't even apply

Last edited by serbian otaku #1; 2014-04-08 at 16:55.
Old 2014-04-08, 19:35   Link #6
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm sorry to hear your country doesn't participate in the JET program. It sounds like something you'd love to take a shot at.
Old 2014-04-09, 00:50   Link #7
SummeryDreams

I would like to add my personal preference, it's a game, but it's so helpful. You need an iOS for this though, but don't worry it's also free. www.scribeorigins.com
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 01:02   Link #8
BPD Renegade

Thanks for the link. This site looks great! I've been picking up random bits of Japanese from my officemate as a side activity, but this will be a good resource for self-studying. I hope to go there one day.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 21:54   Link #9
EscapeReality

Damn...you know how hard is it to grab hold of a comprehensive Japanese learning site? My gratitudes.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 17:14   Link #10
serbian otaku #1

No problem I also had trouble finding good resources, and thank god i found something as good as this. I actually found this a few months ago, but i thought you guys knew about this o.O

Anyways, if you guys have any good resources, please share them with us. I have some, but they certainly aren't as good as IMABI
Old 2014-04-10, 17:51   Link #11
G0rd0

I would also like to thank you good sir this is a really good website.
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 14:08   Link #12
serbian otaku #1

Thanks, but could you please stop calling me sir, it makes me feel old After all, i'm only 17 years old

Here's another site This particular link explains particles in japanese, and that's the part that i have the most problems with (i can't count the times i accidentally used the wrong particle).

NIHONGO ICHIBAN

Last edited by serbian otaku #1; 2014-04-12 at 20:45.

Tags
japanese language, learning japanese