AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2006-07-01, 12:27   Link #1
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
My first wallpaper

This is my first wallpaper. I posted it on another forum, but people didn't like it. At all.

Tell me what you guys think.

[Edit]
Okay, using everyone's advice (thanks!) I've made an improved (in my opinion) version of the wallpaper.

There's a little problem with it, though. Seeing as the girl and the planet are on the same layer, the girl also got affected by the blending. Sucks, yes, but there's nothing I can do about it. Well, there is, but I prefer not spending an hour on a minor problem like that.

[Edit2]

This version doesn't have the text. Although I think it looks pretty empty without it, this is what you guys wanted.

[Edit3]

1600x1200 version as requested by Martino.

Last edited by Toxic; 2006-07-02 at 15:25.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 16:16   Link #2
jevony
Follower of Eiyuuou-sama

i think its a very gd attempt since its only ur 1st try! my 1st try would be 10times uglier than this -_-...

i like this idea of combining e char with e earth, but i think ur wall would look alot better with more shades/tones! e earth seems kinda "flat" to me, though i can clearly see that it is a sphere... aha. maybe u can use e lighting effects in PS to make certain areas of e earth darker, and certain areas lighter? and i think making e blue background darker would show more contrast too. (these are only my suggestions, if u disagree with me, would like to keep ur wall like this, simply ignore me. im noobish anyway. =p)

im certainly looking forward to ur newer walls... i think u did a great job on extracting e character, e lines are all pretty smooth. i shall be e 1st to like ur wall! so just ignore those previous comments that r not only not constructive, but also negative. dont let them stop u frm making gd and better and best walls. =D
jevony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 16:17   Link #3
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

I think it's a good start. I like how the girl looks in the shot so good job on that. However, I think it's the background that needs improving. To me, I think the Earth doesn't blend in well with the bright speckled blue background. It also draws your attention away from the girl which I think is what you wanted to be the main focal point. Perhaps if it was more black like space and the blue speckle thing was reduced, it would look better imo.

Also, the text used leaves a bit to be desired. It seems out of place compared to everything. It would look better in a corner or perhaps by your name.

Overall though, this is very good for a first wallpaper.
Old 2006-07-01, 16:19   Link #4
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Thanks. It would be possible to do what you said (the lightning).
It's kind of funny that you're saying the earth seems flat. Others said it looked too 3D-ish compared to the rest of the wallpaper (which if impossible to fix, at least for me.)
Old 2006-07-01, 16:33   Link #5
jevony
Follower of Eiyuuou-sama

haha i meant "lighting" not "lightning"... ^^''' i was actually visualising it as e solar system sort of "space" background. so i thought that e earth would look much more realistic if it was more sphere-like. in my opinion, if e earth would be any flatter, it would look lik a circular portion of e world map. just kidding? =p

oh and i just remembered. maybe e reason they said e earth was too 3D-ish because u didnt blend in e sides of e earth with e blue, sparkly background... u can try using e smudge tool/ adding more grey on e sides, so that it looks that e earth is within e background... ^^

and i 4got to say. no problem! XD
jevony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 17:00   Link #6
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Eh, lighting is not a word. And yeah, I think that's what they meant too.

[Edit]
Okay, actually, it is, but not when used in that way.
Old 2006-07-02, 03:34   Link #7
Lost

Your second one is very good imo; the only issue I have with it are the words. They are really obstrusive and detract from the overall feel of the paper. If I were you I'd scrap the "Planetarian" because any one who has played the game will immediately know what that wallpaper is about. If it has to stay; probably changing font will help.

Also, that "Made by..." line really spoils the piece. No one wants a wallpaper on their desktop constantly reminding them about who the creator is. And in TIMES NEW ROMAN too. Nothing wrong with crediting yourself, but try to do it more unobstrusively; sign off subtly, maybe in the bottom-right hand coner; a small "Toxic" or personalized signature will suffice.

Meh, just my feedback. Ignore if you want to.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 06:09   Link #8
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

err... isn't this a combined game screencap? I'm pretty sure it is. since I've played Planetarian

The only difference is the addition of text.. =/

The Earth(extracted) seems to have been placed on a different space scene(also from Planetarian, I presume)
with the addition of Reverie.

If I'm correct, that's three images placed on top of each other + text.
Old 2006-07-02, 08:54   Link #9
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Your second one is very good imo; the only issue I have with it are the words. They are really obstrusive and detract from the overall feel of the paper. If I were you I'd scrap the "Planetarian" because any one who has played the game will immediately know what that wallpaper is about. If it has to stay; probably changing font will help.

Also, that "Made by..." line really spoils the piece. No one wants a wallpaper on their desktop constantly reminding them about who the creator is. And in TIMES NEW ROMAN too. Nothing wrong with crediting yourself, but try to do it more unobstrusively; sign off subtly, maybe in the bottom-right hand coner; a small "Toxic" or personalized signature will suffice.

Meh, just my feedback. Ignore if you want to.
Hm, okay. I'll remove the text.

@Solwyvern: Well, yes. You're pretty much right. I used two screencaps, then I found a small space image and used the clone stamp (If I stretched it, it would look horrible) to spread it over the whole background. Then I added blending to the planet, to make it fit in better with the background. The first space was from Planetarian, but the second one isn't.
Old 2006-07-02, 13:25   Link #10
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Pretty good.
Isnt that girl from a space anime?
If so However Maybe you should experiment with adding a Spaceship/SpaceStation somewhere between the girl and the planet.

Since I find the Wall Paper needing something else.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 13:40   Link #11
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Nope, she's not from a space anime. She's from a visual novel called Planetarian. Her name is Reverie. There's really not much I can add, except for that machine from the game, perhaps...
Old 2006-07-02, 15:09   Link #12
martino
makes no files now

Very nice wallaper!

How about a 1600x1200 version?
Old 2006-07-02, 15:20   Link #13
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Uh, yeah. I can do that. It MIGHT look a bit stretched though. Will upload one in max 5 minutes.