AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-24, 08:12   Link #1401
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Alright. Pardon me for bumping a long abandoned thread, but for the record: updated staff/cast commentaries. It's taken this long partially because of the other stuff I worked on last year, and partially because I wanted to go through it quite thoroughly - so lots of new and a few corrected points here and there.

If anyone wants to verify what came up at in a certain other arena last week, feel free.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 16:51   Link #1402
magnuskn

Thanks, that was illuminating in a few points. Damned Kawamori, even trolling his VA's.
Old 2012-09-24, 17:20   Link #1403
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Karicchi, you didn't know what 素人童貞 was?

*ROFLOL*

Oh gawd, the tears in me eye... whew...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 17:31   Link #1404
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Hey. Lay off man, that was like 2 years after I STARTED learning Japanese! Why would I have learned something like that!?

and when did you start using "Karicchi"!!

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-09-24, 17:34   Link #1405
Tak

I know I know, but you know... its still very, very hilarious...

Ok ok, seriously though, that term is so outlandishly funny I bet you will never forget it now.

Quote:
and when did you start using "Karicchi"!!
But... last night you told me I could!!!!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-09-24, 17:42   Link #1406
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

It's certainly stuck in my head ever since then...haven't heard it again since though!

Really now?

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-09-24, 17:46   Link #1407
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
It's certainly stuck in my head ever since then...haven't heard it again since though!

Really now?
Quietly walks away while Karice is pouting...

- Tak (You are so beautiful when expressing displeasure, you know that? )

Old 2012-09-25, 00:53   Link #1408
Ozuma-Rii
Heya~ I am a Ranka-addict

Karice, you are that blogger? I have been trying to find out who it was!
Old 2012-11-03, 06:19   Link #1409
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

So, I finally made it to Frontier! So does anyone feel like re-watching this series as I go through it for the first time? It's been kind of lonely marathoning through the franchise by myself, so I was hoping with the 30th anniversity and that this series isn't that old there may be some peeps that wanna re-watch for old time sake.

I'll prolly start watching it in a couple of days(because of work), but my plan is to watch the pilot, Deculture Edition first, then the series, and finally the movies.

Let me know if your interested.
Old 2012-11-03, 10:19   Link #1410
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

I'm interested in a re-watch. Problem is that I have a health condition that comes with terrible pain and I'm prone to having flare ups that can last for weeks, so I don't know if I can participate on a regular basis. I could barely move since last thursday, much less watch anything.

How long do you think it'll take for you to finish the series? If I can keep up, I'll try.
Old 2012-11-06, 04:33   Link #1411
Jmac
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
I'm interested in a re-watch. Problem is that I have a health condition that comes with terrible pain and I'm prone to having flare ups that can last for weeks, so I don't know if I can participate on a regular basis. I could barely move since last thursday, much less watch anything.

How long do you think it'll take for you to finish the series? If I can keep up, I'll try.
Don't worry about trying to keep up . Just want some peeps to talk to after watching some episodes. But for me I'll prolly have it all watched by the end of this week. But....

'Galactic fairy, my ass. She's just a bitch.'
Pretty much sums up my first impression of Sheryl. I'm sure Mao is really pleased of what her granddaughter turned into. But I'm sure she'll get knocked down a peg or two pretty soon.

Eyes are bleeding with all the CG effects and smooth animation. And I'm also getting is vibe from the first ep. that I haven't felt since SDF.

Alto, yo, if you don't wanna be confused with a girl, cut the hair!

Don't have any comment on Ranka yet, but an overly crazy fangirl!
Old 2012-11-06, 12:30   Link #1412
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Which version did you watch? Deculture, broadcast or Yakk Deculture? It's always shocking to see how much the broadcast version lacks compared to the other two.

Spoiler for For length and all three versions:

The credits are also interesting, all three have Sheryl listed before Ranka, even though Ranka seems to be more of a focus in the Deculture Edition and even sings the endings to two of them. This is one of the reasons I don't get why people thought Sheryl was not meant to be a lead character, the three are even seperated from the rest in the listing to point this out.
Old 2012-11-06, 13:21   Link #1413
magnuskn

Well, if you continue to watch the show and leave your impressions here, it will be interesting to see how your viewpoint of the characters evolves.
Old 2012-11-06, 17:16   Link #1414
Jmac
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
Which version did you watch? Deculture, broadcast or Yakk Deculture?
I believe it was the Yack Deculture (or how it was subbed anyway). It's the 31 min one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, if you continue to watch the show and leave your impressions here, it will be interesting to see how your viewpoint of the characters evolves.
That's right. I've seen up to ep. 5 now and I can see my first impressions were just that and not lasting :P. I found that the development of the three in the first few episodes were very good. I'd like how even though Sheryl may seem mean she was willing to help and give advice to Ranka in wanting to follow her dream. Still kinda sucks she didn't win Miss Macross... But her singing talent is really awesome.

Alto, at first was annoying, but after joining the SMS and having Micheal knocking him down a peg; I'm starting to like him more.

Overall, I like how they are play homage to SDF, because I really enjoyed that show. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed 7, but for me SDF set the standard of what Macross should be and so far Frontier hasn't disappoint.
Old 2012-11-06, 17:53   Link #1415
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

I outdid myself then, I just finished episode 6 on my re-watch in spite of my awful headache and lack of sleep, so I'll leave my impressions on episodes 2-6 here now. I'll be back to correct my grammar later, I promise, but it was hard enough to write in this state.

I hope this is okay, I'm taking notes, something I didn't do before so I can get back to these whenever I want to.

Spoiler for Episode 2 - Hard Chase:

Spoiler for Episode 3 - On Your Marks:

Spoiler for Episode 04 - Miss Macross:

Spoiler for Episode 05 - Star Date:

Spoiler for Episode 06 - Bye-Bye Sheryl:

Last edited by Matts; 2012-11-06 at 17:55. Reason: grammar
Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 06:11   Link #1416
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I wasn't planning on doing this - and I certainly don't have the time to watch any of these episodes again, even though I really want to - but on a few of the things you said...

Quote:
The credits are also interesting, all three have Sheryl listed before Ranka, even though Ranka seems to be more of a focus in the Deculture Edition and even sings the endings to two of them. This is one of the reasons I don't get why people thought Sheryl was not meant to be a lead character, the three are even seperated from the rest in the listing to point this out.
Ep.2: Ranka gets her name as second on the credits list this time.
Ep.3: Alto and Sheryl get their names listed separately from the rest.
Ep.4: Alto and Ranka get the separate listing this time around.
Ep.5: Alto and Sheryl listed separately from the rest again.
Ep.6: Sheryl is listed second again, all three mains together.
Would be interesting to see how the credits are arranged over the rest of the series...

Come to think of it, another thing to watch might be the ad-break eye-catches. Then again...given that Kawamori pretty much told the animation staff to do whatever they wanted for these, maybe not...

-----

Quote:
-I'll agree with some who were saying Ranka was acting like a spoiled child here, but if she really didn't ask for the private school and finally got her act together to enter a contest, Ozma could have shown more support instead of reinforcing her lack of self-confidence.
Agreed. It's like cause and effect: treat someone like a child (as Ozma has done), and it's a childish reaction you'll get.

Quote:
-I remember some people saying that Alto saw Ranka and that's why he took Sheryl to Folmo, but I don't see any hints at all, which is kind of strange. It does contradict the scene where he saw her. It's just that Alto is in no hurry when he shows Sheryl the Zentradi and it doesn't seem like he has any intent at all to go to the Mall, until Sheryl notices it. The directing was off a bit here?
I remember thinking that too, when I compared the TV and film versions of the date sequence. Quite possibly the reason they removed it for the film.

Quote:
-You don't bother the artist while at work. On a giant, pink underwear.
I remember being really amused reading this scene in the novel: after Sheryl's muse had been satisfied, she paid for that pink underwear and had it delivered to her hotel

Quote:
-Michael has reasons to think Alto isn't the best person to run to for advice. It's hard to talk to a truth-teller, Alto might be a good supporter and listener, but in this case it was better that she bumped into Michael instead.
True. Michel's criticism was probably what she needed most at that stage.

Quote:
-A plane that's lifted by Sheryl's words to Alto, to inspire Ranka indirectly. Yeah, yeah, I like the triangle aspect of the story a little too much. No, not the romantic one, the inspiring each other one.
Agreed again. And bolded just for emphasis.

Quote:
-Great job, Alto. Lie to her and than give her tickets that you have, because... Whatever Alto was trying to do here, he did it wrong.
He had so much to learn...

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2012-11-07, 12:51   Link #1417
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Quote:
Would be interesting to see how the credits are arranged over the rest of the series...

Come to think of it, another thing to watch might be the ad-break eye-catches. Then again...given that Kawamori pretty much told the animation staff to do whatever they wanted for these, maybe not...
I'll do the credits, I found it very strange for example, that Alto and Sheryl got episode 3, when it seemed more like an episode for all three of them, or one for the AruRan ship, since this has the singing in Griffith Park.

The eye-catches are pretty, but also pretty random so that fits with what kawamori said.

Quote:
I remember thinking that too, when I compared the TV and film versions of the date sequence. Quite possibly the reason they removed it for the film.
Ah, so it's not just me. It looks like a scene they scraped but left it in when editing, maybe to fill time. It has no follow-up, so makes sense they would leave it out of the movie.
Possible that it has something to do with the editing, the 3 versions of episode 1, especially the broadcast version shows what difference it can make, to switch scenes. And the music. The BGM for some of the scenes was so bad.

Quote:
I remember being really amused reading this scene in the novel: after Sheryl's muse had been satisfied, she paid for that pink underwear and had it delivered to her hotel
Must have been on the front page of the tabloids the next day.

Quote:
He had so much to learn...
Indeed. As much as episode 4 was full of great moments for them as a possible future couple, episode 6 highlighted that not only did they have problems communicating, but that Alto didn't pick up that Ranka was sad for some reason.
She just had her first big break, got a concert ticket to see her idol and she isn't jumping for joy at all. Add to that the way she acted and it was clear as daylight, but he didn't bother to ask.
I won't blame Ranka for not asking him out right, that's just not how she is, that's Sheryl's style.
Old 2012-11-08, 01:16   Link #1418
Jmac
*Artist

Sheryls antics are getting more and more good by the minute. Not only in enrolling in school, but also dragging Alto on her misadventures.

But so far, I'm really enjoying the rise of Ranka to stardom. Even though she didn't win Miss Macross, which would've seal the deal, she worked hard doing small odd jobs and finally making her big break in the Birdman movie. Had Sheryl not kissed Alto, would Ranka still the take the Mao role? I'm really happy for her, because her hard work is finally paying off, and at the end of episode 10, we are witnessing the beginning of a new star.

Of course, if she's Frontiers version of Minmey, then things are going to get alot harder, ie not having enough time to spend with friends or with Alto. As Sheryl keeps making advances toward Alto and Rankas work load increasing shes far behind in that race.

Kinda hope they go into Altos Kabuki past and develop on that.
Old 2012-11-08, 03:55   Link #1419
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

I'd answer all your questions, but I don't want to spoil anything for you, Jmac.

Hell, I ain't even gonna HINT.
Old 2012-11-09, 05:39   Link #1420
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Ironically, I was biased on which direction the Star Date went here. The flow of the episode had been fine up until that point in which it appeared they'd plotted many different ideas and jumbled them all together. So for the first part, Sheryl is examining things whilst Alto is just barreling off in search of something (looking in different directions and supporting AR fans here) then returns to her side at noticing he'd lost her (off screen). Then they are spending time together honestly. And then we return to him once again searching for something and not paying attention to her. The whole direction of the episode seemed torn between the two girls here, as Alto was put in the middle of "search for Ranka" or "spend the day with Sheryl." And quite frankly, the animators and directors couldn't pick one so they did both infrequently. And like everyone above says, it failed miserably...

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch