AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-11, 20:58   Link #24161
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
"I think to ban you from a country…I think there has to be more serious charges," he said. "I think you have to be a criminal or pose some type of threat to national security."
It's better than we didn't let enter. Better yet would had thaan this incident never publicated; that guy have too much publicity, no nead to give him more.
Old 2012-10-11, 21:32   Link #24162
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Consequence, Terry Jones. Accept it.

Frankly, I think he all the right in the world to burn a book he bought. However, burning from the safety of his yard and waving the video at crazy people who go nuts if you burn particular pieces of paper just put *other* people in danger.

He can come to my state if he's okay with being laughed at in public.
Old 2012-10-12, 09:24   Link #24163
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Greek police accused of using protester as human shield

Quote:
Greek authorities have launched an investigation into allegations that riot police used a female protester as a human shield during angry demonstrations over a visit to Athens by the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, this week.

Witnesses told the Guardian the young woman, who has yet to be identified, was frogmarched in handcuffs ahead of riot police as protesters threw stones at officers.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...r-human-shield

Old 2012-10-12, 10:23   Link #24164
konart

Quote:
The Nobel Peace Prize for 2012
The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2012 is to be awarded to the European Union (EU). The union and its forerunners have for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe.

In the inter-war years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee made several awards to persons who were seeking reconciliation between Germany and France. Since 1945, that reconciliation has become a reality. The dreadful suffering in World War II demonstrated the need for a new Europe. Over a seventy-year period, Germany and France had fought three wars. Today war between Germany and France is unthinkable. This shows how, through well-aimed efforts and by building up mutual confidence, historical enemies can become close partners.

In the 1980s, Greece, Spain and Portugal joined the EU. The introduction of democracy was a condition for their membership. The fall of the Berlin Wall made EU membership possible for several Central and Eastern European countries, thereby opening a new era in European history. The division between East and West has to a large extent been brought to an end; democracy has been strengthened; many ethnically-based national conflicts have been settled.

The admission of Croatia as a member next year, the opening of membership negotiations with Montenegro, and the granting of candidate status to Serbia all strengthen the process of reconciliation in the Balkans. In the past decade, the possibility of EU membership for Turkey has also advanced democracy and human rights in that country.

The EU is currently undergoing grave economic difficulties and considerable social unrest. The Norwegian Nobel Committee wishes to focus on what it sees as the EU's most important result: the successful struggle for peace and reconciliation and for democracy and human rights. The stabilizing part played by the EU has helped to transform most of Europe from a continent of war to a continent of peace.

The work of the EU represents "fraternity between nations", and amounts to a form of the "peace congresses" to which Alfred Nobel refers as criteria for the Peace Prize in his 1895 will.

Oslo, 12 October 2012
Long story short: "We're gonna keep it for ourself this year, folks!"
Old 2012-10-12, 11:10   Link #24165
Zakoo

Sorry sir, but they aren't in EU.

Receiving such a price when the nationalism in some countries was never so high is kind off weird but whatever, with the 1.2millions euro gained, we shall repay our debt, trololol!
Old 2012-10-12, 11:14   Link #24166
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

At the current rate the prize money from Nobel Peace Prize will be roughly 10% of Greece's GDP by the end of next year. I can't blame them for being greedy.
Old 2012-10-12, 11:16   Link #24167
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Long story short: "We're gonna keep it for ourself this year, folks!"
Norway isn't in the EU.
Old 2012-10-12, 12:27   Link #24168
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well he's a Russian, and I think Russians reserve their right to think they own Europe, which are in turn owned by their lolis. Thee little Russian girl who kicked her Brit teacher in the gonads certainly set a good example that in Europe, Russian lolis are ownage.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-12, 13:40   Link #24169
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Don't we have a Stupid News thread for this?
ops wrong section

Old 2012-10-12, 13:40   Link #24170
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Sorry sir, but they aren't in EU.

Receiving such a price when the nationalism in some countries was never so high is kind off weird but whatever, with the 1.2millions euro gained, we shall repay our debt, trololol!
Quote:
Norway isn't in the EU.
Oh, stupid me... At least they are in NATO, which still gives me more freedom to generalize
Old 2012-10-12, 14:19   Link #24171
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran's sea trade buckles under Western sanctions
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89B0DX20121012
I don't think than adding more sanction, like some suggested, would be such good idea; the one already in place started to show effects.
Old 2012-10-12, 14:26   Link #24172
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I don't know in the last decade an uneasy feeling grew inside me (concerning the Nobel peace price). I feel like it is more like a bad omen nowadays.
Old 2012-10-12, 14:35   Link #24173
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I don't know in a the last decade an uneasy feeling grew inside me (concerning the Nobel peace price). I feel like it is more like a bad omen nowadays.
My guess is that uneasy feeling probably started growing when Al Gore was the recipient in 2007. By the way, for this year's winner, they strangely spelled Merkel's name all wrong. I know it's not spelled E-u-r-o-p-e-a-n U-n-i-o-n! *zing*

Old 2012-10-12, 14:40   Link #24174
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

To be honest, the peace prize has gone to some dubious people before.

For starters, how about Henry Kissinger?

And to be fair, the Nobels have usually been more about past achievements. The EU has generally kept the peace throughout Europe, particularly in the tumultuous time after the fall of the USSR.
Old 2012-10-12, 14:48   Link #24175
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
My guess is that uneasy feeling probably started growing when Al Gore was the recipient in 2007. By the way, for this year's winner, they strangely spelled Merkel's name all wrong. I know it's not spelled E-u-r-o-p-e-a-n U-n-i-o-n! *zing*

Wasn't it for its existence as a whole for the last 60 years rather than whatever happened in the last few years? Merkel has "only" been in power for 7 years.

I don't really want to defend the Nobel Peace Prize, but sometimes you've got to take the long view.
Old 2012-10-12, 14:53   Link #24176
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
To be honest, the peace prize has gone to some dubious people before.

For starters, how about Henry Kissinger?
I would say than it's a little better than Yasser Arafat.
Old 2012-10-12, 15:12   Link #24177
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Wasn't it for its existence as a whole for the last 60 years rather than whatever happened in the last few years? Merkel has "only" been in power for 7 years..
Merkel doesn't get enough credit for her effort to keep European Union solvent. Without her, I think it won't be too much of an exaggeration to say that the Union falls apart as soon Greece was declared bankrupt. Greece can only wish they had someone like Merkel from seven years back. When the world was showing the sign of an oncoming economic meltdown, Merkel comes in and immediately started to place things in motion for Germany to lead the way. Look where Germany is now seven years after compared to the rest of the Union and the world. May be I'm thinking too much here, but perhaps mentioning Merkel in the nobel peace prize creates a storm considering she isn't exactly popular in countries like Spain, Italy and obviously Greece. In a way, EU is Germany headed by Merkel. When EU is the nobel peace prize winner, it is in a way a nod toward Merkel. So obviously it was a conscious choice when Merkel's name was spelled wrong. I know I'm onto something here.

I like her a lot!
Old 2012-10-13, 04:00   Link #24178
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

'Natural-gas explosion' in Castle Rock injures 5

Quote:
CASTLE ROCK - 9NEWS received several news tips saying some type of explosion happened in the 6900 block of Sulfur Lane in Castle Rock.

9NEWS called the Castle Rock Fire Department, and they believe it was a natural-gas explosion at a home.
http://www.9news.com/news/article/29...Rock-injures-5

Old 2012-10-13, 04:55   Link #24179
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Merkel doesn't get enough credit for her effort to keep European Union solvent. Without her, I think it won't be too much of an exaggeration to say that the Union falls apart as soon Greece was declared bankrupt. Greece can only wish they had someone like Merkel from seven years back. When the world was showing the sign of an oncoming economic meltdown, Merkel comes in and immediately started to place things in motion for Germany to lead the way. Look where Germany is now seven years after compared to the rest of the Union and the world. May be I'm thinking too much here, but perhaps mentioning Merkel in the nobel peace prize creates a storm considering she isn't exactly popular in countries like Spain, Italy and obviously Greece. In a way, EU is Germany headed by Merkel. When EU is the nobel peace prize winner, it is in a way a nod toward Merkel. So obviously it was a conscious choice when Merkel's name was spelled wrong. I know I'm onto something here.

I like her a lot!
The credit for Germany's (and most of northern Europe's) resilience to the financial crisis goes to the economic consensus models in which both employers and unions cooperate. Whoever is Bundes-chancellor is fairly irrelevant for those agreements.

Merkel can be credited for keeping a level head during the crisis and keeping populist/nationalist sentiments under control.

I suspect the Nobel peace prize is awarded to support the ideals of European cooperation during the union's most difficult time and decreasing public support.
Old 2012-10-13, 05:12   Link #24180
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I feel ill. Perhaps it's because I lived a somewhat quiet and sheltered life in my earlier years, but hitting my twenties and getting out into the world more, I'm witnessing event play out in my area, and it is a terrible world out there.

Spoiler for Not exactly for the weak-minded.:

Spoiler for Continuation:

Spoiler for Continuation II:

I want to take a moment out of the happy posting to be serious. Take of these stories what you will, but hopefully we can all value the importance of being a good person. Everyone had flaws, but choose your words wisely in life. Bullying sucks, just ask someone who's been through 11 straight years of it if you need to.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international