AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-08, 10:41   Link #1761
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

It's better to jaw-jaw, than to war-war. Old Winston was spot on with that.

Russia's usual principle is to take the opposite line against the US. Europe in the international scene is still a joke, if you consider how deeply divided the continent is. Oh, and I think that resolution is a joke. It'll never be passed. If you take it seriously, then I think something is not quite right with the picture.

One thing which I think is the elephant in the room is the world population. I do not for a single moment think that our planet is able to feed 6 thousand million people.
Old 2009-03-08, 14:32   Link #1762
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
United Nations against Freedom of Speech

Not likely to happen here in America considering we have that whole 1st Amendment and Bill of Rights deal going for us...
Old 2009-03-08, 19:47   Link #1763
Vinak
Procrastinator

Metal Bits Self-Assemble Into Lifelike Snakes

ARGONNE, Illinois — In the basement of a nondescript building here at Argonne National Laboratory, nickel particles in a beaker are building themselves into magnetic snakes that may one day give clues about how life originally organized itself.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...npu=1&mbid=yhp
Old 2009-03-08, 23:26   Link #1764
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
One thing which I think is the elephant in the room is the world population. I do not for a single moment think that our planet is able to feed 6 thousand million people.
Given technological advances, it's actually not that hard at all. The West wastes food in incredible amounts and many Western governments even subsidize their farmers *not* to plant too many crops and flood the market. Of course, we have to take into account that some of this extremely productive industrial agricultural practices are hardly sustainable in the long run, but Green technologies are always moving forward and I don't see the entire world literally starving beyond saving any time soon; barring catastrophic climate changes from global warming or other calamities of course.

Global starvation issues stem from problems of distribution and economics more than anything else. If North Korea wrecks its own agricultural base, then there will be problems. If it also tightly controls local distribution of food aid, does so haphazardly as usual, and indeed might not have received enough aid from more affluent places in pure tonnage in the first place, then there will be starvation. Likewise, Africa is a matter of not being able to *afford* food -- their local economies, often dependent upon subsistence farming, can't possibly compete with machine agriculture -- and thoroughly destructive environmental practices wrecking the local agriculture almost beyond repair.

There certainly are issues, big issues: the environment in general, fresh water availability, usage of toxins (yeah yeah "fertilizers") that can cause extreme damage in the long run, etc., etc. But we *do* have technologies to address that. They simply aren't in high enough demand because not all have matured sufficiently to be cheaply available. That, and we are by nature rather short-sighted and selfish, meaning you can't expect the fatcats to give a damn until their profits see a serious, sustained shortfall because of horrible practices.

I chart Malthusian fears very low in my apocalyptic scenarios list, to be honest. Somewhere below zombie apocalypses and Scientology taking over the world.
Old 2009-03-09, 01:07   Link #1765
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@Irenicus: I guess I should add that it's not just the food that is an issue. I look at the average Singaporean family, and I go," What if the average Indian, Chinese or African family could live like that?", and I get sleepless nights. I really do.

The amount of energy and other stuff required to fuel this rise is the issue I fear. Sorry if I misleadingly made food the one and only issue.
Old 2009-03-09, 02:02   Link #1766
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
@Irenicus: I guess I should add that it's not just the food that is an issue. I look at the average Singaporean family, and I go," What if the average Indian, Chinese or African family could live like that?", and I get sleepless nights. I really do.
I would hypothesize that once the crisis comes to a head, if it does as a crisis and not in a more gradual manner, that:

- Short-term serious shortages occur
- Developments of alternatives are accelerated greatly
- The average Indian, Chinese, or African family will have to scale back from expecting the promised affluence. Unfortunately, the average Singaporean, American, or French family will also have to scale back from living out the affluence. Naturally, degrees of "scaling back" will differ and the rich and powerful won't nearly suffer as much. But that's just business as usual in a way.
- Social and political upheavals always follow economic hardships. Needless to say, two billion Indians and Chinese who were promised a gateway out of poverty will agitate. On what will they agitate, against whom, and who will manipulate this potential energy, I don't pretend I can predict.
- ...At least before some smart scientist gave us other means towards enjoying decadence. Fusion reactor huzzah? Replacement for plastics? WoW proliferation making everyone eat less?

Of course, the process could always be interrupted by man-made catastrophes, geopolitical struggles, or other such bullshit that we always engage in. But seriously speaking the chance that all hell breaks lose isn't much higher -- or lower, for that matter -- than most other apocalyptic scenarios. We would lose much sleep if all that really gets to us before any of it happens. Exceptions made of course for experts who are supposed to discuss this stuff and try their best preventing it (but then again, "experts" fail a remarkable number of times when it comes to social engineering, economic policy, or political issues).

So, in sum, your clarification helps me understand what you mean -- and it is indeed a heavily discussed issue, something along the lines of the people of the fast-growing developing countries being promised a future of affluence as enjoyed currently by the First-World countries, but that the current availability (or at least the efficiency of extraction thereof) of resources will never ever sustain two billion-and-more middle class-ers to be. A predictive anthropological term for this, I think, is the "Culture of Discontent." And yet, despite all that, I really wouldn't lose sleep over it and would say you shouldn't either. I prefer to lose sleep over waiting for the next installment of D.Gray-Man or the homework due tomorrow morning to be honest.
Old 2009-03-09, 02:25   Link #1767
Shadow Kira01

Japan May Launch Interceptors to Counter North Korean Missile Test

I am a little worried about North Korea's counterstrike threats. It appears that they are plotting to hold non-combatant civilians as hostages, while testing their long-rangle missile. Unless the interceptors are carried out cautiously and well-planned, it may be too much of a risk. Contrary to my concern, it is actually necessary to hold a firm stance against North Korea. Otherwise, North Korea may have other plans to carry out which may make things worse in the long-run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
ARGONNE, Illinois ? In the basement of a nondescript building here at Argonne National Laboratory, nickel particles in a beaker are building themselves into magnetic snakes that may one day give clues about how life originally organized itself.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...npu=1&mbid=yhp
Very interesting..

If this is real, then it appears that there will soon be another scientific breathrough in the world.
Old 2009-03-09, 02:33   Link #1768
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@Irenicus: Well, it gives me sleepless nights once in a while. Yeah, I do want to lose sleep over stuff like my first job after graduation (WOOT!).
Old 2009-03-09, 07:25   Link #1769
Autumn Demon
~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjua1FES8PE

Fight for the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution.
Old 2009-03-09, 16:37   Link #1770
Shadow Kira01

Chinese Vessels Harass US Ships in International Waters

Quote:
The United States has lodged a protest with China over an incident Sunday in which the Pentagon says five Chinese vessels harassed an unarmed U.S. Navy research ship in international waters in the South China Sea, and engaged in potentially dangerous maneuvering.
Quote:
Whitman said some of the Chinese crew members undressed down to their underwear in an apparent show of disrespect, what Whitman called an "immature" display. But he said the close maneuvering and attempts to disrupt the U.S. ship's progress were serious.
Looks like trouble is up ahead...
Old 2009-03-10, 02:27   Link #1771
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
This kind of stuff happens all the time. It's possible there'd be an accidential collision or something, but there isn't much chance of it escalating to violence.
Old 2009-03-10, 04:30   Link #1772
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Not a new problem. A few years ago a US Navy reconnaissance plane having a look at China, suddenly had engine trouble and force-landed on a Chinese-controlled island away from Okinawa, causing enough diplomatic trouble between both countries.
Old 2009-03-10, 05:21   Link #1773
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Not a new problem. A few years ago a US Navy reconnaissance plane having a look at China, suddenly had engine trouble and force-landed on a Chinese-controlled island away from Okinawa, causing enough diplomatic trouble between both countries.
That was shortly after Bushy was sworn in as president. If I remember correctly it wasn't engine trouble, but a mid air collision with a Chinese fighter.
Old 2009-03-10, 05:33   Link #1774
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
That was shortly after Bushy was sworn in as president. If I remember correctly it wasn't engine trouble, but a mid air collision with a Chinese fighter.
The collision lead to the subsebquent engine trouble which forced the plane to land in Chinese territory. The crew in that plane were held by China close to a month I think. Bushy was just getting warmed up at the time, right after he designated N. Korea and Iran as Axis of Evil. The man is stupendous with words, but sadly, I can't remember about his take on that particular diplomatic crisis which enraged the Chinese enough to throw rocks at the nearest US Embassy after he made his observation about the crisis.
Old 2009-03-10, 07:14   Link #1775
Whiteshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The collision lead to the subsebquent engine trouble which forced the plane to land in Chinese territory. The crew in that plane were held by China close to a month I think. Bushy was just getting warmed up at the time, right after he designated N. Korea and Iran as Axis of Evil. The man is stupendous with words, but sadly, I can't remember about his take on that particular diplomatic crisis which enraged the Chinese enough to throw rocks at the nearest US Embassy after he made his observation about the crisis.
Bush refused to apologise to the Chinese. Then he did apologise. He was very sorry as he was basically found with his pants down. Then 9/11 occured soon after so the media pretty much forgot about this incident while it was going ape crazy.

The main thing about this collision was that the Chinese jet was probably trying to thump the plane. Long story short, the jet tried to position itself so the prop plane would stall and regain lift so quickly that the crew and the plane would be shaken by the shock. Obviously something likely went wrong for the Chinese pilot.
Old 2009-03-10, 08:28   Link #1776
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Japan May Launch Interceptors to Counter North Korean Missile Test

I am a little worried about North Korea's counterstrike threats. It appears that they are plotting to hold non-combatant civilians as hostages, while testing their long-rangle missile. Unless the interceptors are carried out cautiously and well-planned, it may be too much of a risk. Contrary to my concern, it is actually necessary to hold a firm stance against North Korea. Otherwise, North Korea may have other plans to carry out which may make things worse in the long-run.
They are just like a little bully in the class, wanting people to submit to their whims and fancies. I supposed you have already read about how their election works, one candidate per province. Anyone who votes against is counted as rebellion.

I believe North's army is strong enough to conquer as far as Seoul, and by looting supplies, they can cause enough chaos and hold their ground before the Coalition or China (which I doubt they will since they are the North's allies) send troops to beat them back. In this economic crisis, it might severely damage Korea overall.

The main thing to consider is that North Korea is NOT a signee of the Convention of Human Rights, which means that they can use

1. Civilian buildings as combat outposts
2. Human Shields
3. Brutal Interrogation of POWs.

And as far as we know that it has NOT signed any treaty regarding weapons usage, including those of

1. Claymore Mines
2. White Phosphorus, napalm, burns causing agents
3. Submunitions (beehive rounds is an example)
4. Bio/chemical-weapons (I predict mustard gas or hydrogen-cyanide based compounds)

And North Korea is known to have the 2nd largest special operations in the world, and with the Coalition hands tied (especially US with the Mideast and UK with the new Ireland conflict), it is going to be a tough fight for South Korea to defend itself. Since Japan is a demilitarised state, sending aid troops would be quite tough, and we can only hope that China will do the right thing.

If bunker busters are used if the North Koreans try to rush the border, it would cut back on the losses of South Korea's military, since they might use the tunnels for LRRP insertions or taking provinces hostage. Their tanks shouldn't have much armour, but the low mountains might prove a little tricky for South Korean armour, giving the North Koreans an advantage with regards to troop strength (North : 1.06m, South : 0.685m) and close quarters. Both sides should suffer heavy losses at the climax stages if South does not get help in 1 week prior to invasion.

Besides with the Special forces, the North Koreans might use the same fedayeen tactics in Afghanistan and the recently, in Mumbai. The damage done by these troops, if simultaneously used with a cross-border attack might weaken the South's defences PLUS the troopers at the 38th parallel.

This is a overlook by me. Feel free to debate it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-03-10, 08:33   Link #1777
GreenLama
Banned

Since this forum is for stories in the news I just want to say that I find what that Casey Anthony girl is being charged for doing to her daughter is horrible, I am a father myself and always wonder why anyone would want to kill their kids, it's just sick.

Anyhow, does anyone else find her strangly hott? Despite what she did she still is kind of a cute girl...... )
Old 2009-03-10, 10:22   Link #1778
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
South China Sea? Isn't that one of those disputed territories, much of which China lays claim to? And isn't harassing each other's spy planes and ships (ocean surveillance my ass) a cold war tradition?

Even Canada occassionally participates in "this is our turf" type stunts (main hot spot for us would probably be Hans Island. We and the Danish like to occasionally send a ship to replace the other guy's flag with our own.).
Old 2009-03-10, 11:29   Link #1779
Shadow Kira01

If North Korea seeks to play the demon, we should all be capable of doing the same.

The best solution is to intercept the long-range missile and hope that North Korea does not have the guts to start a war or make any promised counterstrikes knowing the severe consequences of doing so. If North Korea do counterstrike, it is vital to make North Korea regret it. Otherwise, this kind of scenario will repeat considering that North Korea is a country in poverty which indicates that they are going to make improvements regardless of the circumstances. And these sort of improvements are actually six-party talk bargaining chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The main thing to consider is that North Korea is NOT a signee of the Convention of Human Rights, which means that they can use

1. Civilian buildings as combat outposts
2. Human Shields
3. Brutal Interrogation of POWs.
Since the enemy is North Korea, points 1 & 2 should be ignored. The strategy should be to carpet-bomb them if they do try a counterstrike after their long-rang missile is intercepted. Most likely, those possible human shields and combat outposts are occupied by North Korean agents in disguise; who would want to bother with their safety?

Point 3 is quite important and thus, it is best to not fall into the enemy's hands. If that scenario is possible, soldiers and agents may fall into an actual risk of becoming POWs should take their own life whether they like it or not because that way.. They actually get to choose their way of dying, reducing possible undesirable North Korean interrogation. However, if the same scenario occurs to non-combatant civilians. The only answer would be a threat to destroy Pyongyang altogether, unless the hostages are released within a time limit. A time limit is necessary to ensure that the non-combatants do not suffer at the hands of the North Korean agents.

UPDATE: I believe the above is a very bad idea, taking into consideration that the abductees are still in the hands of the enemy. Thus, carpet-bombing Pyongyang is actually the worst choice of action when hostages could possibly be residing in Pyongyang at the moment.

Ex-spy meets Taguchi kin Former North Korean agent believes abductee still alive

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-03-11 at 15:26. Reason: change of mind.
Old 2009-03-10, 11:57   Link #1780
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Thanks for the fix. Forgot some of the details. At any rate, the Chinese navy would like to play some "games" with their American counterparts, trying to test their reaction to provocation.

Already things are different for the North Koreans, as they're getting paranoid by the minute... and their damned newschannel had the volume turned up high to make sure even the earwax remembers their loud warning.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international