Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-20, 07:47   Link #2101
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
Yeah I always tend to forget that, not everyone plays for the challenge or the story(talking about why I don't understand why people liked FF12).

Bayonetta doesn't have to make sense, it only has to feature a solid combat system. The levels seem pretty varied this time around, and you can properly fight big bosses without quick-time events! Still GoW always screamed average in my mind. It's PS3's Halo imo.
I somewhat agree, and disagree. The gameplay is solid, however its suited for a more casual audience as opposed to Devil May Cry. I personally prefer Devil May Cry's gameplay, an action game that truly tests ur reflexes and style etc.

However i noticed that all these action games have such such poor story. Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden...and it seems like Bayonetta is going the ridiculous route.

God of War is probably the only one that bothered to make a truly coherent epic that contributes to the immersive experience. I personally play God of War for the story, while I play Devil May Cry to kick ass.

PS: The main objective of this post is to ask you who that hot chick is in ur sig
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 08:15   Link #2102
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I somewhat agree, and disagree. The gameplay is solid, however its suited for a more casual audience as opposed to Devil May Cry. I personally prefer Devil May Cry's gameplay, an action game that truly tests ur reflexes and style etc.

However i noticed that all these action games have such such poor story. Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden...and it seems like Bayonetta is going the ridiculous route.

God of War is probably the only one that bothered to make a truly coherent epic that contributes to the immersive experience. I personally play God of War for the story, while I play Devil May Cry to kick ass.

PS: The main objective of this post is to ask you who that hot chick is in ur sig
While I can understand the immersion(didn't experience it myself though), but story isn't any thing worth mentioning, no? It's perfect for a videogame though, but it's not that good enough pick it over another game. o_O

Still feeling a lack of love for Bayonetta. ._____.

ps:It's Han Ga-in korean model/actress.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 13:28   Link #2103
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:

Your referring to the production values, Not the quality of the story. The quality is no better than Bayenotte, DMC, NG, etc. It just chooses to take itself more serious and they pump allot more money into that side of the investment.

While the gameplay portion is pretty shallow, the combat is on par with an older Dynasty Warriors game with absolutely no difficulty or depth even on the highest levels. Yet...For what it lacks in combat, it has probably the best levels to date for an action game. It has that perfect blend of puzzles, with platforming and no backtracking.

Finally on Sony/Activision, All they do is want a price drop. PS3 has been the only system in NA experiencing a decaying growth. I don't they'll cut support, PS3 COD will still sell gangbusters. But I could see them getting the shaft on smaller titles, DLC, and quality of the support in general
Old 2009-06-20, 16:24   Link #2104
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Ninja Gaiden Black is still king, imo. I have yet to find and other action/beat'em up that can offer such a deep gameplay. But GoW3 is a whole different kind of beast. I like it because of its atmosphere and how it's presented. If I want satisfaction and a challenge I just go play NG Black.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 17:30   Link #2105
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Bayonetta actually features a main character that I like(if I can turn on a japanese vocal track).
I've been hyped for Bayonetta too. But, why would you want/expect a Japanese track for a Kamiya game? That's been one of the charms for most of his work
Old 2009-06-21, 01:51   Link #2106
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoto View Post
Your referring to the production values, Not the quality of the story. The quality is no better than Bayenotte, DMC, NG, etc. It just chooses to take itself more serious and they pump allot more money into that side of the investment.

While the gameplay portion is pretty shallow, the combat is on par with an older Dynasty Warriors game with absolutely no difficulty or depth even on the highest levels. Yet...For what it lacks in combat, it has probably the best levels to date for an action game. It has that perfect blend of puzzles, with platforming and no backtracking.

Finally on Sony/Activision, All they do is want a price drop. PS3 has been the only system in NA experiencing a decaying growth. I don't they'll cut support, PS3 COD will still sell gangbusters. But I could see them getting the shaft on smaller titles, DLC, and quality of the support in general
Actually I just wanted to get Han-Ga's name ...

God of War's story takes itself seriously and actually provides a REASON for me to keep playing. Like at the end of God of War 2 I actually want to know what would happen. The way they wrapped up God of War 1 was pretty well done as well. It is by no means as complex and well thought out as Metal Gear Solid, or as simple and beautiful as Portal/Colossus. But it gets the job done, and done well.

Devil May Cry on the other hand, the script is SOOOO bad it's actually good, like Devil May Cry 3 and 4 for example. I guess that gives some kind of entertainment value, but it really puts me off if I'm in a mood for an EPIC action game. Like I'm going to SAVE THE WORLD kind of game instead of I'm just going to be cool. People play games not only for the gameplay but also for the immersion.

You can't really say God of War's story's quality is no different from Ninja Gaiden. Ninja Gaiden's story was actually SO bad, the whole game's object and plot was SO POORLY presented that sometimes I"m lost as to what I should do. It is fucking horrible. But it doesnt defeat the fact that its really fun to play as Ryu, that was probably the only reason I kept on playing. That game truly carries itself with gameplay, if only it had a better story...seriously...

Bayonetta, I won't say anything because I haven't played it yet. From what I can see so far they're trying to make something like Devil May Cry, but ridiculous in a stylish way instead of a my-script-is-so-bad-its-good way.

I think Bayonetta looks GORGEOUS, the only reason i'm a bit turned off by it is, I don't like milfs . Eye glasses wearing milfs especially.

Last edited by jonli; 2009-06-21 at 02:01.
Old 2009-06-22, 12:35   Link #2107
Sides

Quote:
Bayonetta, I won't say anything because I haven't played it yet. From what I can see so far they're trying to make something like Devil May Cry, but ridiculous in a stylish way instead of a my-script-is-so-bad-its-good way.

I think Bayonetta looks GORGEOUS, the only reason i'm a bit turned off by it is, I don't like milfs . Eye glasses wearing milfs especially.
I'm looking forward to it, but isn't Bayonetta like DMC4 a mulitplattform title? At the moment it feels like mix between God hand, DMC and PN03, so it is going to be good. I hope it is a long game, I'm currently feed up with short playtime titles on the ps3. But then again we can always go back to and don demon's souls into the blu-ray drive ^^.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 01:49   Link #2108
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I'm looking forward to it, but isn't Bayonetta like DMC4 a mulitplattform title? At the moment it feels like mix between God hand, DMC and PN03, so it is going to be good. I hope it is a long game, I'm currently feed up with short playtime titles on the ps3. But then again we can always go back to and don demon's souls into the blu-ray drive ^^.
Yes it is a multiplatform title.

If you're looking for some exclusive action title that aren't shooters. You can probably look forward to Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. I know I know, it's a year old on the 360, but its the first Ninja Gaiden game to incorporate co-op, and I'm really looking forward to how they're going to pull that off.

Then the obvious God of War 3, and if you're really craving for something Infamous would work (although it's more like a shooter).

I heard Demon's Soul is awesome, unfortunately the lack of voice chat during coop is stopping my friends and I from getting it.
Old 2009-06-23, 02:46   Link #2109
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Quote:
Wolverine Origins and Conan, Both share a similar style to God of War, Both are quite good. Unlike God of War, they didn't have the production budget though so they come off a bit cheap yet are solid action titles(Gameplay wise of course!)
Old 2009-06-23, 05:54   Link #2110
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Then the obvious God of War 3, and if you're really craving for something Infamous would work (although it's more like a shooter).
Yeah eventhough I call it overrated doesn't mean it's bad. Like said it's ps3's Halo hugely overrated, but a pretty solid game.

Quote:
O shit someone who remembers PN03. I remember how hard I tried to like it, but the game was just horrible, possible the worst beat em up/shooter? I played. I really really liked the character though, she had class.

Story in action games are overrated. Just a standard simple one that just gives you a reason to fight is enough. Hell the only proper story in an action game I can think of is the Metal Gear series(4 went a little overboard in story department though).
Old 2009-06-23, 07:04   Link #2111
plmko

Quote:

Story in action games are overrated. Just a standard simple one that just gives you a reason to fight is enough. Hell the only proper story in an action game I can think of is the Metal Gear series(4 went a little overboard in story department though).
I wouldn't call MGS an action game, its a bit more complicated than that. But really if you break down MGS4 the story line isn't overboard at all, all those random slide shows are really debriefings of everything you've been playing in the previous games and aren't really related to MGS4, sure they provide context but thats it, you don't have to listen to them.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 09:56   Link #2112
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:

The video game library has evolved over the years, and so did the genres. It's hard to classify "action" games as a whole because they have a lot of varieties now.

Metal Gear Solid is a tactical espionage game. The pacing of the game itself is a lot slower and less intense than pure-action titles like God of War and Devil May Cry. I wouldn't classify them into the same genre.

It's hard to find good stories in PURE-action titles, which is why I give praise to God of War, because they at least try, and they try hard.

Many gamers might disagree, but video games are actually a very good medium for story telling. It offers something that no other form of entertainment can provide. True immersion, and that is a great element in the world of story telling.

Of course you don't need immersion to make a great game, look at Wario Ware, Little Big Planet and Street Fighter. But just because it is NOT needed to make a great game, doesn't mean people shouldn't at least utilize it and tap into its potential.
Old 2009-06-23, 10:57   Link #2113
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko View Post
I wouldn't call MGS an action game, its a bit more complicated than that. But really if you break down MGS4 the story line isn't overboard at all, all those random slide shows are really debriefings of everything you've been playing in the previous games and aren't really related to MGS4, sure they provide context but thats it, you don't have to listen to them.
Even if it isn't a traditiononal action game it's still an action game.

I'm a bit confused with what you are trying with the 2nd part of your comment. Sure you don't have to watch to them, but MGS4 did go overboard with the story. Cut scene's way to long, a very high wtf level(ending credits is all I'm saying). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the experience(nostalgia, closure, etc.), but not everything needed to be explained with cutscene's spanning 30/40 minutes. It just got in the way of the gameplay.
Quote:
Metal Gear Solid is a tactical espionage game. The pacing of the game itself is a lot slower and less intense than pure-action titles like God of War and Devil May Cry. I wouldn't classify them into the same genre.

Many gamers might disagree, but video games are actually a very good medium for story telling. It offers something that no other form of entertainment can provide. True immersion, and that is a great element in the world of story telling.
The stealth genre is a sub genre of the action genre. So I can call it an action game. I really don't see the problem. I was just talking about how action games in general don't have good stories.

Yeah it's a good medium, but it shouldn't distract from the gameplay. That's the thing you say many gamers might disagree, a lot of gamers seem to agree with you. A lot of game developers think they are story writers worth a damn, but that just isn't case.

I do like a good story in my games, but I'd like to think when discussing games especially with pure action games the main point is about gameplay. If where talking about RPG's I can understand putting the storyline above gameplay, but when talking about GoW, DMC, NG then the main point should be gameplay.
Old 2009-06-23, 12:20   Link #2114
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:

Yeah it's a good medium, but it shouldn't distract from the gameplay. That's the thing you say many gamers might disagree, a lot of gamers seem to agree with you. A lot of game developers think they are story writers worth a damn, but that just isn't case.

I do like a good story in my games, but I'd like to think when discussing games especially with pure action games the main point is about gameplay. If where talking about RPG's I can understand putting the storyline above gameplay, but when talking about GoW, DMC, NG then the main point should be gameplay.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to deny that MGS is an action game . Your statement is definitely correct. I was just pointing out that video games have evolved to the point where it's not longer just "action" game or "puzzle" game, but much more complex. It's hard to bring MGS into this comparison. It's like comparing Transformers to The Dark Knight.

For example Kingdom Hearts is arguable an action game, and it's story is really good. Shadow of the Colossus is a puzzle action game, and the way the story is told is utterly fantastic.

Anyway I'm getting off my point. I guess all my posts are just trying to justify how I'm more lenient to God of War's gameplay because it makes up with story. I guess in other words, God of War tries to differentiate itself from DMC and NG because it knows it probably cant' beat them in terms of gameplay .

Heck I don't even know why I'm arguing with you. I only decided to reply because the chick in your sig was hot. In fact, I'm more excited about Uncharted 2 than God of War 3.
Old 2009-06-24, 11:43   Link #2115
Sides

Quote:
O shit someone who remembers PN03. I remember how hard I tried to like it, but the game was just horrible, possible the worst beat em up/shooter? I played. I really really liked the character though, she had class.
PN03 was or is still one of the best 3D shooter. It is all about the challenge and high score ^^. But i have to agree, you either love or hate that game.
Old 2009-06-24, 12:48   Link #2116
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
PN03 was or is still one of the best 3D shooter. It is all about the challenge and high score ^^. But i have to agree, you either love or hate that game.
Is that the game that's controlled by voice commands?

Anyway, anyone here plays Demon's Soul? I'm thinking about getting it, but I'd like to know how often do people play this game... as well as how awesome is the co-op even without voice chat.
Old 2009-06-26, 16:46   Link #2117
joangracoffande

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
God of War 3 seems like a bit of repetitive gameplay like the first two, then again which game isn't.
It will be what most "next gen" games are. The ps2 version, with shinier graphics.
joangracoffande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 23:56   Link #2118
plmko

Quote:

I'm a bit confused with what you are trying with the 2nd part of your comment. Sure you don't have to watch to them, but MGS4 did go overboard with the story. Cut scene's way to long, a very high wtf level(ending credits is all I'm saying). Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the experience(nostalgia, closure, etc.), but not everything needed to be explained with cutscene's spanning 30/40 minutes. It just got in the way of the gameplay.
Probably didn't explain myself properly. Think about it in terms of Star Wars (new trilogy) it really is about Anakin falling into the Dark side and becoming Sith, or you can look at it in the bigger picture and say Star Wars is really about an intergalactic war with a side fighting against democracy blah blah blah.

Likewise you can see this in MGS4, sure there is the patriots and that they have an elaborate system controlling the world, but really the story is about Snake being used as a tool to get the work done, hence the theme of "rest" at the end. Think about, would the Story have really changed if you didn't watch the slideshow explaining the origins of the patriots or where Snake was born etc?

So I think you may have just mixed up the priorities between the context of the story and what truly is the focus, even if it maybe easy to get sucked into law MGS its important to not get carried away.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 00:53   Link #2119
Sides

Quote:
Is that the game that's controlled by voice commands?

Anyway, anyone here plays Demon's Soul? I'm thinking about getting it, but I'd like to know how often do people play this game... as well as how awesome is the co-op even without voice chat.
This site(or page) will give you some insights, about the online modes http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/online . The Co-op and PvP in Demon's souls isn't like most games, you have to meet some criteria before you can invite people to your join you.
BTW you can use the XMB chat since firmware 2.70, it is only text but some people prefer it to the emotes in the game. Who knows maybe the ps3 will get voice chat in games support later on with a new firmware, maybe even before NA release.
Old 2009-06-27, 10:42   Link #2120
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
This site(or page) will give you some insights, about the online modes http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/online . The Co-op and PvP in Demon's souls isn't like most games, you have to meet some criteria before you can invite people to your join you.
BTW you can use the XMB chat since firmware 2.70, it is only text but some people prefer it to the emotes in the game. Who knows maybe the ps3 will get voice chat in games support later on with a new firmware, maybe even before NA release.
Thanks, it seems pretty complicated but intriguing, definitely not a game aimed towards the mass market. At least that means the developers are making this not for the money but for the heart.

Yeah, I've been using the text chat as well, that's a great addition but it's still infinitely inferior to voice chat mainly because by the time I finish typing something a monster would've bitten my ass off.

Tags
console, ps3, sony