http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7843972.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7805560.stm
Families of victims in China sue, government/judicial stalling:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7839481.stm
Little comfort for families of victims:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7845545.stm
Tainted dairies offer text apology:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7807637.stm

The real tragedy here is that the Chinese Government or at least many elements - still thinks that papering over and silencing bereaved parents is a winning strategy. When a parent has lost their reason for living and you just try to shut them up --- you create a much more dangerous situation than if you had just "cleaned house" of some corrupt officials. This analysis:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7635466.stm
shows that, as usual, much of the problem lies with corrupt regional/city governments. But then the central government loses the opportunity to "be the hero" and is more intent on papering it over and containing/silencing grievances.
Not to argue that government officials aren't responsible, they definitely are, but calling Sanlu mere scapegoats isn't accurate. It's not uncommon for low-level providers (i.e. at milk sheds and factories) to pull any inspectors aside, treat them to a meal, and bribe them. It works both ways - providers experience growth in business by cutting corners, while inspectors get a second, highly profitable income source.

Of course, anyone who reads this and continues to call China communist based on economy is sorely mistaken. This is the most aggressive capitalism unseen in America since the 1920-30s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendevous View Post
Good, I hope the kid stays with that job forever and invests the rest of his free time in contributing to open-source projects. I hope to see great things from him.
Old 2009-01-22, 23:22   Link #1342
mg1942

aw man... here we go again...

Killer decapitates Va. Tech student.

- Killing was first on campus since gunman killed 32 on April 16, 2007
- Victim Xin Yang, a graduate student from Beijing, knew accused killer, police say
- Haiyang Zhu, 25, taken into custody; he is charged with first-degree murder
- Attack took place at restaurant in Graduate Life Center

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/22/...ath/index.html
Old 2009-01-23, 00:19   Link #1343
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Of course, anyone who reads this and continues to call China communist based on economy is sorely mistaken. This is the most aggressive capitalism unseen in America since the 1920-30s.
Problem is they clamp down on anyone who would write something like "The Jungle" (by U. Sinclair) to expose the level of greed and under-regulated industry - I guess the level of "embarrassment" is going to have to get really high.

Seriously though, this practice of silencing the grieved parents rather than addressing their concerns is going to really backfire on them...
Old 2009-01-23, 01:37   Link #1344
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendevous View Post
That's another gifted child. Hope he really does something for society, and I'm pretty sure he's putting his time enjoying helping out people when they're stuck with a SNAFU'd PC.

Sadly, kids in my country are more interested in hacking someone else's MMORPG accounts, eating up bandwidth through Youtube, and rampaging through GTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

- Victim Xin Yang, a graduate student from Beijing, knew accused killer, police say

Yeah, not again. It is to my disappointment that America often winds up as the campus rampage capital of the world, with even foreigners going crazy when they can't live with the pressure.
Old 2009-01-23, 04:25   Link #1345
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:

Virginia Tech sure is stressful.
Old 2009-01-23, 13:59   Link #1346
Shadow Kira01

Quote:

What does Virginia Tech teaches anyways? Last time, a communist Korean commit murder and this time, one from Communist China. How strange..
Old 2009-01-23, 14:07   Link #1347
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Good, I hope the kid stays with that job forever and invests the rest of his free time in contributing to open-source projects. I hope to see great things from him.

Nah, he's gotta dream big! He should be the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.
Old 2009-01-23, 15:23   Link #1348
Tiberium Wolf

Babies and adult killed in knife attack at Belgian nursery

What about this crazy dude in Belgium? The murder above pales compared to this one.
Old 2009-01-23, 15:37   Link #1349
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
What does Virginia Tech teaches anyways? Last time, a communist Korean commit murder and this time, one from Communist China. How strange..
They're an engineering school, meaning that the vast majority of students there are engineering students and the rest are likely science majors. In this case it would seem that the killer was not an engineering student. However, he was a foreign exchange student. It's quite possible that he was having troubles adjusting and/or was under pressure. Of course, it's also possible that regardless of where he was something would have clicked in his brain and he'd have committed murder regardless.
Old 2009-01-23, 15:53   Link #1350
Shadow Kira01

Thumbs down Blagojevich and Corruption

Blagojevich likens his situation to sneaky cowboy

Luckily, the United States caught this corrupted fellow a tad early, otherwise.. Considering how intelligent the guy is, if he ever becomes a future US president, it will be the end of America, who knows what sort of deal he would sign with other nations as long as he gets a piece of the pie.

Blagojevich either don't realize what he is talking about or is doing it on purpose. Instead of explaining where the money had went or how/why he decided to pocket government funds, he goes on and on about cowboy, law, and what he didn't do wrong as Illinois governor which are all definitely irrelevant topics.

First of all, what does cowboy and the wild west have anything to do with a case of corruption and money pocketing?! The way he does story-telling with full determination and confidence just shows how intelligent and talented he is, but unfortunately he walked the wrong direction.
Old 2009-01-23, 19:02   Link #1351
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
They're an engineering school, meaning that the vast majority of students there are engineering students and the rest are likely science majors. In this case it would seem that the killer was not an engineering student. However, he was a foreign exchange student. It's quite possible that he was having troubles adjusting and/or was under pressure. Of course, it's also possible that regardless of where he was something would have clicked in his brain and he'd have committed murder regardless.
aye, there's no information as to whether it was a psychological issue, gang related, drug related, girlfriend related, or even nationalist thuggery....
Old 2009-01-23, 23:56   Link #1352
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye, there's no information as to whether it was a psychological issue, gang related, drug related, girlfriend related, or even nationalist thuggery....
Looks like psychological tests will be needed for potential foreign students before they have to be admitted.
Old 2009-01-24, 00:18   Link #1353
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Forget IE, FF or Opera, this is the browser for black America!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,465808,00.html
I got so worked up, I ranted on their comments page already. xD
http://www.blackbirdhome.com/

Quote:
After more than six months of development, 40A, Inc. has completed the development of the Blackbird internet browser, a software application designed for the African American community by the African American community.
Wasn't sure if it was worth having it's own thread in the IT forum, was looking at some of the peeps who had installed/tested to see just how it defines it's searches so it relates to black people more.
It's 2 months since it's conception, so I sincerely hope it crashes and burns to be honest.
So much for black america trying to move beyond race, they should take a leaf out of Obama's book and pay attention to his speech. *sigh*

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-01-24 at 01:11.
Old 2009-01-24, 00:36   Link #1354
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Blagojevich likens his situation to sneaky cowboy

Luckily, the United States caught this corrupted fellow a tad early, otherwise.. Considering how intelligent the guy is, if he ever becomes a future US president, it will be the end of America, who knows what sort of deal he would sign with other nations as long as he gets a piece of the pie.

Blagojevich either don't realize what he is talking about or is doing it on purpose. Instead of explaining where the money had went or how/why he decided to pocket government funds, he goes on and on about cowboy, law, and what he didn't do wrong as Illinois governor which are all definitely irrelevant topics.

First of all, what does cowboy and the wild west have anything to do with a case of corruption and money pocketing?! The way he does story-telling with full determination and confidence just shows how intelligent and talented he is, but unfortunately he walked the wrong direction.
I think he's going for the "psycho" defense.... he seems to be a complete narcissist or maybe a sociopath.
Old 2009-01-24, 23:00   Link #1355
Shadow Kira01

BBC defends Gaza appeal decision

BBC had made a great decision to oppose the airing of a TV fundraising program. In order to avoid compromising public confidence over its impartiality, what must be done should be done accordingly. After all, it is unclear as to where the fundraising money will end up at. Supporting a program with shady motives may be too risky. However, it appears that the protests will continue for awhile..
Old 2009-01-24, 23:33   Link #1356
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I have to agree with you. By staying neutral BBC it's not going to tarnish its good reputation with all the mud being slung by both sides. I can't however say much for the TV we have here in the West however. But really the whole conflict is getting out of hand but atleast the Brits seem like they're on top of it.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-01-25, 01:33   Link #1357
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Good for the BBC... its one of the very few news outlets in the world I don't feel like I have to do a "smell test" on every single word.
Old 2009-01-25, 10:54   Link #1358
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Good for the BBC... its one of the very few news outlets in the world I don't feel like I have to do a "smell test" on every single word.
Finally, the BBC gets its rep back, after two scandals.
Old 2009-01-25, 23:07   Link #1359
Shadow Kira01

Israeli PM in war crimes pledge

Looks like the use of white phosphorus shells had led to something serious..

Old 2009-01-26, 02:41   Link #1360
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Looks like the use of white phosphorus shells had led to something serious..
The Israeli Army opened its own investigation into the possible use of white phosphorus related shells in highly populated areas. They're usually so adamant that I theorize they've got some worrying data they want to check out (shrug, official policy or not - all it takes is an over-eager mid-level twit to create an incident).

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international