AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-05-04, 12:37   Link #61
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The coach's bow pissed me off more than anything. What's the point of "apologizing" in this way? Also, the Tachibanas will be fine, protagonists that they are, but I wonder how many players have been ruined by the coach's blatant unfairness?

It looks like I was right about the ace, or if he's not actually dying, he still has some medical issue. Too bad, but even so, did he have to be such an asshole?

I gather the friend's father was a player for some rival team in Touch. Were Sawai or Ooyama also Touch characters?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-04, 16:29   Link #62
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I gather the friend's father was a player for some rival team in Touch. Were Sawai or Ooyama also Touch characters?
No, unless they were background characters.

At this point it's pretty clear Nikaidou is sick, but that doesn't excuse his attitude nor the fact he used his father's power to become the ace. I guess the latter isn't too bad since it's just middle school (I don't think he ruined anybody's future prospects), but it's still very selfish.
Old 2019-05-04, 16:44   Link #63
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
No, unless they were background characters.

At this point it's pretty clear Nikaidou is sick, but that doesn't excuse his attitude nor the fact he used his father's power to become the ace. I guess the latter isn't too bad since it's just middle school (I don't think he ruined anybody's future prospects), but it's still very selfish.
It's not really about future prospects as a pro player or anything like that. I'm thinking of all the players who were just demotivated and gave up baseball because of that bullshit. Even if they were never going to amount to anything big, but just be normal players in a school club.
Old 2019-05-05, 06:41   Link #64
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

I enjoyed Cross Game a lot. I hope I'll enjoy this too.
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-05, 08:40   Link #65
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Loved that scene of total silence between the "Ace" and the coach. It's a sign of very good story when silence can have that much of an impact. The tension was absolutely palpable. I love how a lot of the dialogue runs on double meaning and subtext as well, like the bit where Touma makes mince meat out of those catchers and Souichiro's commentary to their coach is a very diplomatic "Certainly your catchers are holding your team back".

I'm pretty much invested in this show for good now.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-05, 09:13   Link #66
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Finally done watching 5 episodes. This arc about Nikaidou as ace sure is annoying. It seems that episode 6 is where they will finally leave this arc. Thankfully
Old 2019-05-05, 12:02   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I watched episode five, then rewatched the entire series from the beginning. Like Haak, I'm pretty invested now, too.

I watched the first four or five episodes of Touch last night as well, but I didn't like the broader sense of humor it employs, so I'm not sure I'll continue. Both Cross Game, and now Mix, have much subtler dialogues and character interactions, which I find more appealing. (Also Punchi v.1 is a lot more annoying than Punchi v.2.) But I did get to see a few of the references that appear in Mix.

Watching Touch invoked feelings of deja vu after having watched Mix first. There we have two biologically twinned boys and a girl next door. In Mix we switch the osananajimi girl to a sister and make the boys stepsiblings. The three are often together under the same roof without parents in both shows. The Uesugi parents were ridiculous. You have a bedroom, use it.

Adachi's cameo appearance in Mix was hilarious. I loved how he wore his giant pen as a sword across his back.

Tou's original family name isn't revealed for a while in MIx, so I wondered if it might be Uesugi. Nope, it's Sawai. The riddle of the #1 uniform remains a secret.

To me, Souichirou is the star of the show so far. All three Tachibana children have no trouble expressing their opinions in their own ways, often quite directly to adults and persons of authority. Sou delivers his observations in such a quiet yet pointed way. His wry comment about the catchers that Haak mentioned is a great example. I also admire the depth of Sou's commitment to his brother, even at the cost of his own desire to pitch.

Even if Nikaidou dies or never pitches again, as Sou suggested ominously on the way back home this episode, I don't see why the audience will care. Nikaidou is clearly ill. He has no endurance given his abbreviated practice sessions and struggles in the tournament game. His complete-game victory to send the team to Tokyo might be the highlight of his short career. Maybe his illness explains why he looks 43.

I didn't notice it the first time through, but the boys have the poster for the show up in their room.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2019-05-05 at 15:51.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-05, 13:44   Link #68
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

One thing I forgot to mention is that I like the fact that there are no caricatures here. Even in Cross Game I thought the main team's first coach was a bit too much of a "moustache twirler". Here the nepotism is real and damaging but it's very much a grounded take and this episode was great in illustrating that as well. That pitcher and coach from the other team were two nice and affable people (well mostly) but are totally unashamed in their nepotism. The failings of such management is all too apparent, however.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-05, 16:55   Link #69
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I watched episode five, then rewatched the entire series from the beginning. Like Haak, I'm pretty invested now, too.

I watched the first four or five episodes of Touch last night as well, but I didn't like the broader sense of humor it employs, so I'm not sure I'll continue. Both Cross Game, and now Mix, have much subtler dialogues and character interactions, which I find more appealing. (Also Punchi v.1 is a lot more annoying than Punchi v.2.) But I did get to see a few of the references that appear in Mix.

One of the reasons I prefer Cross Game to Touch is that Adachi's writing has matured like a fine wine. I did appreciate the youthful brilliance of Touch - it's like a series of explosions going off over its various arcs. But Cross Game is more bittersweet, contemplative and subtle. I think it suits Adachi better.

Mix for me is an interesting meld of the two.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-05, 17:08   Link #70
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Mix for me is an interesting meld of the two.
I see what you did there!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-05, 17:28   Link #71
Arya

I was a bit reluctant starting this series because I knew I'd get hooked one way or the other, and as it was for Cross Game I'd watch like 3/4 episodes a day. Surely it had a more smoother start than CG, but the pace it's just perfect and I agree with a previous comment about how dialogues are not written to aim primarily to the audience, so they sound and feel much more natural (and interesting), so there are things unsaid you have to deduct or just to wait, or silences that speak more than words. Not everything is spelled out, but left to the viewer to catch.

As expected I like all the characters, but my preference so far goes to Souichirou too. Speaking of the siblings dynamics I'm not particularly invested in the obvious incoming romance because so far Touma and Otomi seem real siblings to me and not the other way around, so, well, yeah.
I'm curious about the late father story, also in relation to Sou and his role as a player. And I admit sou suggestion about ace sickness turned on a light it didn't turn on by itself, I was expecting a more redeeming arc from the guy, but cynically, that's ok.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-05, 17:36   Link #72
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I like Sou, but as a manga reader Tou is the clear standout of the brothers and IMHO, the reason that hasn't been obvious in the anime is the casting.
Old 2019-05-05, 17:48   Link #73
Arya

I suppose you are talking about yuki kaji. Don't know if that's the case for me, but we are just 5 episodes in, so it's still early, time will tell. Surely it's also a habit of mine, Touma seems the first protagonist, the predestined, and I usually tend to like the other guy, the one with less screen time, but so far it's just a hunch.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2019-05-05, 17:58   Link #74
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Tou should be a character whose appeal is similar to Kitamura Kou (Cross Game). Depth, quiet strength, humility without lacking self-confidence. But I don't think that's ever going to happen, unfortunately.
Old 2019-05-05, 18:11   Link #75
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I like Tou more than Sou and I'm anime only. He's pretty much the typical Adachi MC, at least in his baseball stories. They do have their unique traits (like Tatsuya's laziness) but they mostly have the same personality.
Old 2019-05-05, 20:35   Link #76
Frontier

I like Tou and I like Kaji as Tou, especially since it's kind of refreshing to see him play a relatively more understated and "normal" role compared to what he usually plays.

(I could've said the same for Maaya Uchida as Ohtomi but she's coming off Domestic Girlfriend where she sounded near unrecognizable compared to her usual anime voice).
Old 2019-05-06, 00:56   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I like Tou more than Sou and I'm anime only. He's pretty much the typical Adachi MC, at least in his baseball stories. They do have their unique traits (like Tatsuya's laziness) but they mostly have the same personality.
That's why I prefer Sou. He feels less like a rehash.
Old 2019-05-06, 03:00   Link #78
Arya

Yeah, maybe it's also that. I have already a pitcher. Also he seems more mature. Anyways, so, the number of episodes is still a secret/unknown? What, I want 50 episodes!! I don't know the manga, but it's the pace that surely requires that!

Old 2019-05-06, 04:09   Link #79
moridin84
Custom User Title

Oh, Nikaidou must have some kind of illness. Would explain why he only trains for a short time too.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-11, 07:44   Link #80
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Well, that was a refreshing chapter. I'm looking forward to their highschool baseball.

Tags
adachi mitsuru, baseball, sports