AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-03, 17:14   Link #2241
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Really, Kaisos? I mention a fantasy I have about the series and you ask me what it is? After all this time, I would have thought that it would go without saying.
Oh, I can guess. I just want to hear it from you.
Old 2009-01-03, 17:22   Link #2242
typhonsentra

Guys, I seriously doubt figure sales amount for the majority portion of the overall money haul from an anime property. Merchandising is axillary income, it is rarely ever the driving force for a series unless it's something like Transformers where the show is based on a line of toys.
Old 2009-01-03, 17:43   Link #2243
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Guys, I seriously doubt figure sales amount for the majority portion of the overall money haul from an anime property. Merchandising is axillary income, it is rarely ever the driving force for a series unless it's something like Transformers where the show is based on a line of toys.
Actually, it's the opposite.

Animated works exist to sell merchandise and DVDs.
Old 2009-01-03, 17:51   Link #2244
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Actually, it's the opposite.

Animated works exist to sell merchandise and DVDs.
Kaisos is right.

The Anime companies don't get paid a cent to air anime, except in rare cases when a major sponsors is a TV station.

Most of the time, they had to BUY airtime like those late-night advertisements. So it actually cost them money to air anime.

Thankfully, the anime studios are extremely frugal with spending so they could make a profit. One common comment is that the Japanese studios are Jealous of what Western Animation Studios have for a budget.
(Of course, it also means Japanese animators are poorly paid as a result.)
Old 2009-01-03, 17:54   Link #2245
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Kaisos is right.
This is the first time I've seen that sentence in years. I feel proud now.
Old 2009-01-03, 18:32   Link #2246
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

If American Cartoons have such high budget, why do they look like crap in comparison to most Japanese shows?
Old 2009-01-03, 18:48   Link #2247
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Animators aren't as dedicated, and American shows are made to last much longer.
Old 2009-01-03, 21:07   Link #2248
Zantetsuken

Quote:
Animators aren't as dedicated, and American shows are made to last much longer.
I think Kaisos needs yes mans. His logic and knowledge are quite nice.
Old 2009-01-03, 21:26   Link #2249
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

If its portrayal in Lucky Star is not a humble downsize, the actual Kyoto Animation building itself does not even seem to be physically that big.

Yet it is now generating a veritable franchise empire and FINALLY be able to expand a once-incoherent OVA Munto into a TV series with a sensical plot.

Makes one wonder how LITTLE of the financial success of their productions they partake in if they are still holding tight onto the trump card and refusing to play it.
Old 2009-01-03, 22:27   Link #2250
typhonsentra

I don't get how Kyoto can be small at this point. Their DVD sales are well beyond the norm for an anime company, even the "Failures" like Kanon. Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana sell a fraction of what the worst performing KyoAni show does. Perhaps they pay their employees better but I can't see where all the money's going. Personally I think them airing Munto is a sign they're pretty confident in their current financial standing.

And the other thing earlier: And I know about the late-night anime deals and what the companies do, it was discussed awhile back (I'm pretty sure they usually recoup the airtime expenses through the sponsors though). That's the reason why anime DVDs are marked at such outrageous prices, they use that to recoup costs and they can't afford to print a whole lot and have the copies languish in a warehouse.

The point however is that merchandise is only as popular as the source material is, and even then don't they only receive residuals from most of it? Kadokawa doesn't own Figma, they sell them the rights to make the figures, same goes with Sega and the PSP/PS2 games. I also don't have any actual sales figures for these kinds of things but I seriously doubt they sell anywhere near as well as the books/comics/anime. If Kadokawa could get another book out of Tanigawa I'm sure they'd be ecstatic.
Old 2009-01-04, 00:13   Link #2251
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
If Kadokawa could get another book out of Tanigawa I'm sure they'd be ecstatic.
My pet theory is that he's dead, and they haven't announced it for fear of all the Haruhi fans reaching critical existence failure.
Old 2009-01-04, 01:30   Link #2252
CCLemon

Quote:
And what, direction, pray, is that?
SPOILERS

Haruhi dies.

SPOILERS ENDED

Something like that?
Old 2009-01-04, 01:36   Link #2253
CCLemon

Quote:
I don't get how Kyoto can be small at this point. Their DVD sales are well beyond the norm for an anime company, even the "Failures" like Kanon. Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana sell a fraction of what the worst performing KyoAni show does. Perhaps they pay their employees better but I can't see where all the money's going. Personally I think them airing Munto is a sign they're pretty confident in their current financial standing.

And the other thing earlier: And I know about the late-night anime deals and what the companies do, it was discussed awhile back (I'm pretty sure they usually recoup the airtime expenses through the sponsors though). That's the reason why anime DVDs are marked at such outrageous prices, they use that to recoup costs and they can't afford to print a whole lot and have the copies languish in a warehouse.

The point however is that merchandise is only as popular as the source material is, and even then don't they only receive residuals from most of it? Kadokawa doesn't own Figma, they sell them the rights to make the figures, same goes with Sega and the PSP/PS2 games. I also don't have any actual sales figures for these kinds of things but I seriously doubt they sell anywhere near as well as the books/comics/anime. If Kadokawa could get another book out of Tanigawa I'm sure they'd be ecstatic.
I think most people are using the word "small" to refer to how large the company's staff is, which correlates to how much they can produce at once, not how much the company is making. Kyoani's sort of like an awesome lemonade stand raking in millions in a land of commercial lemonade companies. Compared to Sunrise, which is producing three (?) large animes currently, Kyoani doesn't have all that much production power. Of course, they might of discreetly changed their staff size by now, given that they're producing two animes side by side this spring.
Old 2009-01-04, 02:07   Link #2254
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLemon View Post
SPOILERS

Haruhi dies.

SPOILERS ENDED

Something like that?
I think he was more referring to Sasaki taking the power.

Which wouldn't make sense, narratively. I mean, it'd be a bold move, but as Sasaki is the designated antagonist, I don't see it happening.

Least of all in a story as happy as Haruhi.
Old 2009-01-04, 02:30   Link #2255
Zantetsuken

If Haruhi dies, Tanigawa killed the series for good. The story is too light hearted for someone to die. And I can't think of a purpose why Haruhi should die.

I think the ending will be Haruhi realizing her power, and the brigade will convince her to wish her power away.
Old 2009-01-04, 02:45   Link #2256
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
If Haruhi dies, Tanigawa killed the series for good. The story is too light hearted for someone to die. And I can't think of a purpose why Haruhi should die.

I think the ending will be Haruhi realizing her power, and the brigade will convince her to wish her power away.
Probably something like this, yeah.

But more epic, scale-wise. That would be awesome.
Old 2009-01-04, 02:48   Link #2257
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

the big question is when or is it good enough???

but then again it was good and this must be getting even better right???
Old 2009-01-04, 07:01   Link #2258
Zantetsuken

Quote:
Probably something like this, yeah.

But more epic, scale-wise. That would be awesome.
it should be, or rather it will be epic. I mean he's written such an epic series, if the ending isn't epic too, there are some serious question in the interview after this finished.

And please, please don't make the ending like Shaman King...
Old 2009-01-04, 09:51   Link #2259
typhonsentra

If tanigawa really died, who wrote that Ghost School short story last year? OoooOoooOOOoo
Old 2009-01-04, 09:55   Link #2260
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Actually I really thought Tanigawa is bedridden or something until I heard he has that new story some time ago. He could have written it in the hospital though lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen