AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2021-08-29, 15:00   Link #201
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
His reason's dumber than that: he trusts Georg Carmine. That's it. That's his only reason. If Carmine rebels, then so will he. It's even dumber when you realize he's almost twice as old.
While oversimplifying it, that's basically how we got World War I.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-29, 22:25   Link #202
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Yeah, some strange changes.

Like Souma not sitting on a throne, while the duke's do.

The most glaring one is that the militant Kingdom's halls are... Too colorful, bright and lavish.
The manga gave it more of the impression of looking like your typical medival castle, actually even closer to He-Man's Castle Greyskull, on the inside.
In fact, in the manga, the outside of the castle fit the inside much better.

That change is also rather strange in particular as the story onword will tell.
Well, technically speaking, that "typical medieval castle" is historically inaccurate. The walls and halls were not at all drab or gray. Everything was whitewashed. A castle was supposed to be easily spotted from a long distance due to being such a bright, pure white. The interior was then not just whitewashed but then thoroughly decorated, as colorfully as the lord could afford. Not only was this to improve the aesthetic, but also as a demonstration of the lord's wealth. The paint and white coating has chipped away in most parts of most surviving castles, making it not as visible today, but it's now seen as a big misconception about the middle ages, right up there with peasants always being covered in mud and crap.

As for him not being on a throne when the dukes were...
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-29, 22:57   Link #203
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Well, technically speaking, that "typical medieval castle" is historically inaccurate. The walls and halls were not at all drab or gray. Everything was whitewashed. A castle was supposed to be easily spotted from a long distance due to being such a bright, pure white. The interior was then not just whitewashed but then thoroughly decorated, as colorfully as the lord could afford. Not only was this to improve the aesthetic, but also as a demonstration of the lord's wealth. The paint and white coating has chipped away in most parts of most surviving castles, making it not as visible today, but it's now seen as a big misconception about the middle ages, right up there with peasants always being covered in mud and crap.

As for him not being on a throne when the dukes were...
Not every castle was whitewashed to begin with, as not every castle even needed it. So yeah, those grey looking ones did exist.

ANother point is in what I already said: Dreary and grey makes more sense for that particular castle. You'll probably find out why in a few episodes, though it has also already been hinted at in the current one.

For some reason I also remember that throne room being round and much larger.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-29, 23:46   Link #204
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Not every castle was whitewashed to begin with, as not every castle even needed it. So yeah, those grey looking ones did exist.

ANother point is in what I already said: Dreary and grey makes more sense for that particular castle. You'll probably find out why in a few episodes, though it has also already been hinted at in the current one.

For some reason I also remember that throne room being round and much larger.
From what I've read, whitewashing was the standard. Partly this was for maintaining the castle, as the material also acted as a sealant of sorts. But it was very much the standard aesthetic. Part of the value of a castle was intimidation, and having a huge chunk of white brightly reflecting the sun from even a long distance away was very effective at that. Along with that, the white color improved light propagation inside (it was actually demonstrated that simply making the walls white made rooms far brighter). There were enough advantages that the concept of a medieval castle not "needing" it is rather unlikely. It may be possible, more likely due to a lack of necessary resources, but by and large the drab, cold, grey castle is a modern concept that has little to do with actual medieval castles. Just like how there were certainly peasants that didn't wash and were covered in crap but most were much better at keeping clean, it's really quite uncommon.

But yeah, if there's a reason that's fine. Been a while since I've read it so I can't remember.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-30, 11:25   Link #205
Lex79

Liscia's haircut was painful to read in the LN and painful to watch in the anime. The ponytail suits her so much better...
Anyway, time to go at war.
Old 2021-08-30, 13:30   Link #206
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Liscia's haircut was painful to read in the LN and painful to watch in the anime. The ponytail suits her so much better...
Yeah...I realized what was going to happen and really hoped she wouldn't do it, but alas. A waste of a good ponytail .
Old 2021-08-30, 14:37   Link #207
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Yeah...I realized what was going to happen and really hoped she wouldn't do it, but alas. A waste of a good ponytail .
Guys.....it's just hair .

She'll grow them again no problem. Also, shorter hair is more comfortable for medieval battles anyway, so it will reduce her chance to get killed .
Old 2021-08-30, 14:53   Link #208
Lex79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

She'll grow them again no problem. Also, shorter hair is more comfortable for medieval battles anyway, so it will reduce her chance to get killed .
Hey, I don't watch anime for common sense and practicality!:P
Old 2021-08-30, 15:26   Link #209
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

Yeah, but it's a visual medium, and I don't think it's that good a haircut for Liscia .

Hey, if she grows it back, great! I wish I felt there was more of a point to the haircut than what we got, but I don't think it was at all for practical reasons otherwise Aisha would cut her hair.
Old 2021-08-31, 22:19   Link #210
Strahan

Still better than what Fena did to her poor hair in Kaizoku Oujo lol
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-01, 06:30   Link #211
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Like Souma not sitting on a throne, while the duke's do.
Well, he's only an acting king. He's quite insistent on that point.

Last edited by moridin84; 2021-09-01 at 08:02.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-01, 12:08   Link #212
EroKing
Version Zero

NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Dedicating this month of October to Mangatron, a comrade who we lost almost 5 years ago. Always loved, never forgotten.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-01, 14:00   Link #213
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Here's these two girls from the first episode in lingerie. I completely forgot about them, but they look good .
Old 2021-09-04, 13:01   Link #214
Frontier

So it's finally come to this...Souma having to contend with both the remaining two Dukes and Amidonia all at once .

Well, Souma has helped the Forbidden Army master rapid troop deployment and fortress building, right next to Carmine's home base, leading to an immediate engagement there. Hal even gets to show off for once! And his efforts to help with the Dark Elf disaster relief brings in a Dark Elf dad jealous of how his daughter wanted to join the Forbidden Army because Hal is there. Hal is a surprisingly popular guy .

Hey, Carmine let in all these corrupt and spineless noblemen, now he has to listen to them whine and cajole during battle...but all he's really waiting for is a chance to properly fight Souma personally .

I love how Carmine's advisor is Beowulf and is literally a wolf .

It's nice that Kaede and Hal can get some nice, intimate, time together in the lull before battle...is Kaede considering marrying Hal if they survive it? She seemed to be pondering something important between them .

Turns out Excel had been there days before the Duke conference to hold the line against Amidonia and handle negotiations against them, so she was following Souma's command even back then, and she's waiting for Souma's plan to take care of Amidonia while she keeps them busy with negotiations .

Never let age define beauty as Excel proves to be a very gorgeous woman...especially in the bust department, as the camera keeps focusing on. Especially when she gets a massage and those boobs start moving .

Well, Castor's Wyvern reinforcements seemingly arrive to back up Carmine, and I don't think this is like Fire Emblem where you can hope they have a bunch of archers to take them down...although considering the night before flashback, maybe that means Souma has already taken command of Castor's air forces and sent them as reinforcements for his side ?

Castor's realized Souma is worthy of respect but feels it's too late to turn back and give up, so he'd rather go out in a blaze of glory than just surrender, even knowing Souma is likely to come after him. Feels kind of foolish and idiotic to me, but I guess there is a kind of noble dignity in there .

And, indeed, Souma does come straight to Castor's base through the use of a land-driven battleship, ready to take him down through an unconventional and pretty awesome method .

Castor sends out Carla and his air forces to subdue the ship, and Carla realizes that maybe she was wrong to not try and talk her father down and cause a conflict that would pit her against Liscia, but like her father feels as though they've come too far to turn back at this point. Like blockheaded father, like blockheaded daughter .

They manage to subdue the ship, despite the unexpected anti-air weaponry, only to discover it was being piloted via Living Poltergeist and Souma is like confronting Castor personally right at that moment. Seems like things are really about to escalate .
Old 2021-09-04, 13:35   Link #215
zeross87

well well what to say. after the very slow pacing of the earlier episode now this one feel extremelly rushed. no really much focus was put into showing us how the planning is unfolded, how the fort as been built in a night, why cannons are a big deal, why antiair was not expected on a ship... it could have given way more detail if only they managed to shave off one episode worth of time by compressing the pacing earlier to split this one into two episode.

and then, we have the battle animation wich very honestly suck for a 2021 anime. the only somewhat decent part was the dark elf shooting the cannon bullet with magic arrow but the other scene were atrocious. there was like no dense army movement formation, no attack animation, the horse cavalery charge was standstill images, the siege scene was a copy paste from siege day1 to siege day2. the wyvern cavalery attack was animated like jet fighter without any "animal" feel to it.
the repeated bolt thrower was decent but once again we could had a scene were it shoot to the mass of the wyvern and show off there escape maneuver but we have only close up shot.
really i felt like i was watching a anime from 2000 rather than an anime from 2021.
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-04, 13:44   Link #216
Frontier

The slideshow was a bit of a bummer but I wasn't expecting really great fight animation in this show .
Old 2021-09-04, 14:08   Link #217
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
well well what to say. after the very slow pacing of the earlier episode now this one feel extremelly rushed. no really much focus was put into showing us how the planning is unfolded, how the fort as been built in a night, why cannons are a big deal, why antiair was not expected on a ship... it could have given way more detail if only they managed to shave off one episode worth of time by compressing the pacing earlier to split this one into two episode.

and then, we have the battle animation wich very honestly suck for a 2021 anime. the only somewhat decent part was the dark elf shooting the cannon bullet with magic arrow but the other scene were atrocious. there was like no dense army movement formation, no attack animation, the horse cavalery charge was standstill images, the siege scene was a copy paste from siege day1 to siege day2. the wyvern cavalery attack was animated like jet fighter without any "animal" feel to it.
the repeated bolt thrower was decent but once again we could had a scene were it shoot to the mass of the wyvern and show off there escape maneuver but we have only close up shot.
really i felt like i was watching a anime from 2000 rather than an anime from 2021.
I think they explained it a few episodes back, but Wyverns don't go near water, which is why the ships don't have anti-air.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-04, 16:28   Link #218
Huh...?

Quote:
I love how Carmine's advisor is Beowulf and is literally a wolf .
Nah, his Manga design is more like a Wolf
The Anime design is literally making a Siberian Husky (or a similar breed) stand on its hind legs.
Quote:
Never let age define beauty as Excel proves to be a very gorgeous woman...especially in the bust department, as the camera keeps focusing on. Especially when she gets a massage and those boobs start moving .
Well, for a 500+ year old Granny, she doesn't lose to her Granddaughters in anyway.
Quote:
Feels kind of foolish and idiotic to me, but I guess there is a kind of noble dignity in there .
More like, "Warrior's Dignity".
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
This series is less about Action, and more about Reforms, Civics & Politics.

So, the lack of focus on the preparation for the War is understandable.

Even the Novel didn't cover how the Fort was built in one night, it was just mentioned later on as the battle was going on (like in the Anime), same with the explanation of the Cannons (and they had already explained about Cannon tech in a previous episode, so all they needed was to slightly gloss over it).

As for the explanation on why Anti-Air was not expected on Ships, guess they didn't feel the need for it yet.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")

Last edited by Huh...?; 2021-09-04 at 16:42.
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-05, 06:50   Link #219
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I think they explained it a few episodes back, but Wyverns don't go near water, which is why the ships don't have anti-air.
They actually do, they just refuse to lose sight of the land.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-05, 07:40   Link #220
Lex79

Quote:
We definitely know whom Juna took her genes from.

I suppose given how much this battle is relying on surprise twists (the seemingly coward Weist actually working with Excel, the land battleship that even turned out to bea decoy) they couldn't really show so much of the preparations. I do agree though that the pace feels rushed compared to the first episodes.