AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-05-22, 06:42   Link #61
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
The Zombie apocalypse didn't happen, I'm sorely disappointed.
Tsk. All that time I spent reading the Zombie Survival Guide was a waste!

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Ekureiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 07:17   Link #62
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

There was one man and one man alone who stopped The Rapture

Spoiler for From the heavens!:
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 07:20   Link #63
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
There was one man and one man alone who stopped The Rapture

Spoiler for From the heavens!:
lol macho man should do a suplex on god

well meh next end of the world date is on 2012
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 07:31   Link #64
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Unfortunately, this is another case (among many) that makes Christianity look bad.
I didn't even know about this dude's existance let alone the rapture thing until the day it occured (yay for being in non-West Japan)
And yes, this kinda crap pisses me off for the rest of us fairly sane Christians/faith holders who just get on with our lives, don't bible-bash nor curse you all to Hell for living a different lifestyle to our own.
More over, I was preparing for 2012, lol.
But yes, no puny, worthless human being would ever be able to predict or tell us when it all goes down, most should be well aware of that now (one would think) -.-;;

Then again, Peru, China, Spain, NZ, Haiti and Japan, major soul destroying quakes within a mere 14month period is enough to make those who suffered through them somewhat nervous if we're looking for signs. Mother Nature sure has been on a rampage lately. ^^;;

But seriously America, why/how did his guy get so much publicity to make it an almost global event? There are a bunch of nutcases over there, probably 10 times more fanatic than this dude seems to be (I assume), but what's with all the media coverage and internet coverage over this.

No such thing as bad publicity, so there had to be some lame ass dumb reason why American media didn't just cross him off.

Also, did I say it pisses peeps like me off who have to deal with having their faith ridiculed to hell because of the minority of idiots out there who (typically) atheists are just itching for chances to lump us all in the same boat?

(Although I know there are 'nice' athiests out there, one who made me smile a little while I was ranting for a bit about the entire fiasco)
Quote:
I like to think that once in a while, one of these wingnuts actually predicts the correct date God was thinking about ending the world, but then they go and tell everyone about it, so God is like "You know what? It was gonna happen, but you had to go and spoil it for everybody. Another couple millennia comin' right up."

As a mate dubbed it, "Celestial spoilers" xD

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 07:34   Link #65
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

American Media has been plagued with the stupid for years. They went on and on and on about Anna Nicole Smith when she died, no offense to any possible fans of her here, but she wasn't really that important of a person. If they come across what could be a hot story, you can bet that they'll publicize and sensationalize it.
Old 2011-05-22, 08:38   Link #66
Key Board
Carbon

The hysteria in 2012 is going to make this look like a picnic
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 09:03   Link #67
OMchan
オムちゃん

Darn. Now I have to repay everything I borrowed from the bank...

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 10:43   Link #68
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Rapture is coming? This Harold Camping must have some really good inside info
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 11:07   Link #69
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

'Rapture': Believers perplexed after prediction fails

I kinda feel sorry for his followers. They were expecting something but didn't.
Old 2011-05-22, 11:25   Link #70
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm still here along with everyone I know. However, I'm not too suprised since I expected to stay here.
Old 2011-05-22, 11:41   Link #71
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I didn't even know about this dude's existance let alone the rapture thing until the day it occured (yay for being in non-West Japan)
And yes, this kinda crap pisses me off for the rest of us fairly sane Christians/faith holders who just get on with our lives, don't bible-bash nor curse you all to Hell for living a different lifestyle to our own.
I fully understand that there are rational, sane Christians. I have family members like that. But I have to ask (not necessarily you, Mystique, but any of the Christians proclaiming this guy as crazy): why is he crazy compared to your own beliefs? He was basically just a Christian willing to make a further leap of faith and predict the actual day rapture would occur. If he seems so crazy, maybe Christians should re-examine their own beliefs? At least according to the Book of Revelations, this will happen, sometime. Maybe not now. But does the event occurring in some unknowable future time, somehow make it more believable?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 11:59   Link #72
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Some of his followers must feel really stupid right now. XD
Old 2011-05-22, 12:08   Link #73
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Some of his followers must feel really stupid right now. XD
Rather they should feel more stupid, that only now they realize how stupid they have been
Old 2011-05-22, 12:12   Link #74
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I pity the guy who spent US$140,000 on the adverts.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 12:24   Link #75
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I fully understand that there are rational, sane Christians. I have family members like that. But I have to ask (not necessarily you, Mystique, but any of the Christians proclaiming this guy as crazy): why is he crazy compared to your own beliefs? He was basically just a Christian willing to make a further leap of faith and predict the actual day rapture would occur. If he seems so crazy, maybe Christians should re-examine their own beliefs? At least according to the Book of Revelations, this will happen, sometime. Maybe not now. But does the event occurring in some unknowable future time, somehow make it more believable?
Well, it's complicated because Christians have many splinter groups. Generally all Christians believe in the 2nd coming but everyone has their own interpretation of it.

What Camping believe is what they call pre-tribulation rapture. It's a belief that started in America and has spread world wide. But they are not the only Christian group around.

If you ask a Catholic for instance, he wouldn't even have a clue what "pre-tribulation rapture" means. In fact it's downright heresy to some.

So no, even among Christians there ones that don't believe that people will suddenly vanish into thin air.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 12:24   Link #76
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

from another forum

Quote:
Just to confuse the neighbors, I put several pairs of shoes out front and put Dry Ice in them . . .
Old 2011-05-22, 12:56   Link #77
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
He was basically just a Christian willing to make a further leap of faith and predict the actual day rapture would occur.
Is it a further leap of faith or a lack of faith? God has said in the Bible that no one would know the date. If this guy claims to be able to predict the date, then he's showing a lack of faith in what God said and he's essentially calling God a liar. So if he claims to be a Christian, then at best this guy is ignorant, at worst, he's a liar. Crazy would be somewhere in the middle.

It's one thing to have faith, it's another to claim to have faith in something and at the same time to make a bold claim that contradicts the thing that you supposedly have faith in.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 13:20   Link #78
Raiga
tl;dr

It didn't happen? Aw man. I was so looking forward to the world ending on my birthday. That would have been awesome.
Old 2011-05-22, 13:30   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Is it a further leap of faith or a lack of faith? God has said in the Bible that no one would know the date. If this guy claims to be able to predict the date, then he's showing a lack of faith in what God said and he's essentially calling God a liar. So if he claims to be a Christian, then at best this guy is ignorant, at worst, he's a liar. Crazy would be somewhere in the middle.

It's one thing to have faith, it's another to claim to have faith in something and at the same time to make a bold claim that contradicts the thing that you supposedly have faith in.
Requoted for Great Truth. As one Bible scholar says though (on TV, don't have the name)... you can take select snippets of the Bible out of context and create just about any offshoot lunacy you want. I was raised in Texas around a pack of splinter groups (Southern Baptist variants and evangelicals) who made the most amazing 'house of cards' assertions. Amazing enough (a village full of idiots?) that it started me doing my own research that led me to the directions I'm in today.
Old 2011-05-22, 13:38   Link #80
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post

If I remember correctly, in the greek orthodox version of the bible, the kid that was writing about John's (not god's) predictions on the end of the world, never gave a time-table for them, instead of saying that he did not know it.

Then again version from version are quite different with translations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
It didn't happen? Aw man. I was so looking forward to the world ending on my birthday. That would have been awesome.
Happy birthday then

Tags
2011, camping, harold, rapture