AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

View Poll Results: When you reincarnate into a noble family with magic, what will you do with your life?
Do martial arts. 3 8.82%
Learn the usual magic. 11 32.35%
Learn alchemy. 8 23.53%
Just go with a harem of maids and servants. 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-12-25, 02:06   Link #1
soularc55
7th dimensional king

Smile Ouroboros Record ~Circus of Oubeniel~ (WN/LN)

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Spoiler for Other covers:

Title: ウロボロス・レコード (Ouroboros Record ~Circus of Oubeniel~)
Author: Yamashita Minato 山下湊
Illustration: しのとうこ
Webnovel: Syosetsu
TL:nIGHT
Lunadia
Illust:Low quality

Quote:
[This is an everlasting love story.]

The second son of the Count family, Talese Shernan Oubeniel, was a person who reincarnated from modern day Japan. That is, a person who has a single experience of death. With no understanding as to how he was reincarnated, he thought that perhaps, he might be reincarnated next time in the same way. Yet, his fear of death was greater than anything – above that, he could only do things such that he avoids death. Peculiar to this world were certain kinds of magic and one of them was alchemy. Choosing this class of magic, he was said to be able to attain perpetual youth and longevity. With this as his only salvation and goal, he had to reach out his hand towards the deepest secrets of alchemy and did so as though it was the only way for him to live. Even if there were sacrifices to be made for that end.

A slave maid admired him from his youth. A Count family. Adventurer. Slave. Citizen. Aristocrat. Country. Humans. Other beings that were not human……Just because of one man’s delusional obsessions, many lives were changed, warped, torn apart. Even then, Talese’s footsteps never knew pause. Everything was so that he could reach the forever he longed for.
Spoiler for FAQ:

The quest to become immortal!

Last edited by soularc55; 2017-04-27 at 02:27. Reason: Updating
soularc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 02:45   Link #2
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

I remember reading the first arc of this when it was somewhat new, considering how everything is portrayed, at the time I felt that this series would be more enjoyable if you can eat through many events and milestones at 'one reading'; after all, the MC's goal basically is proceeding at baby steps. After that I have left this series to pile up more chaps and it's on my very slow proceeding reading backlog.

Also, normally a novel with badguys makes the mistake of making everything and everyone else evil as well, this is a grave mistake that makes the story edgy for no reason (bleh) and drains a large chunk of the uniqueness of the lead (specially after the random dupe starts getting heroines and he basically clones his knowledge / values / brains into them preventing them from developing any sort of personality). In exchange, I felt that this novel does it as it should be done, with the MC being the MC and the rest of the world being 'normal'.

BTW, his maid was not scouted because she was pretty nor efficient nor strong nor anything. He went to the slave market and picked the most sickly, injured and close to the grave slave that he could see there, and then completely remodeled her into perfect health as a performance test for his knowledge and skillz (as a consequence, she became a superman bionic maid; and seeing herself gifted with a miracle of course she went completely bat$hit yandere insane for the lead). I remember, she can basically kill adventurers with the flick of a finger
She is also the biggest source of troubles for the MC, since she apparently hits many fetishes?
Old 2016-12-25, 03:03   Link #3
cabman11

Still no updates I see? Well at least it's getting translated for people who might want to read it.

Maybe this will finally give me motivation to finish it completely
Old 2016-12-25, 03:03   Link #4
wuhugm
Confused Shark

This novel is evil, so dark. Later he made his maid to...

Also the poll is stupid, doesn't match the tone of this novel at all.
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 03:05   Link #5
cabman11

Yeah op he doesn't even scratch the tone of this novel
Old 2016-12-25, 03:55   Link #6
soularc55
7th dimensional king

Huh, after getting some glimpse of the raw, the characters have a strange amount of paranoia going on.
Old 2016-12-25, 04:00   Link #7
cabman11

Everyone is paranoid.
Expression went under the impression that the MC is going to kill them.
Old 2016-12-26, 00:56   Link #8
Waxman

Hm... I have one question.
Does the fact that the MC reincarnated from earth play any part at all? I mean... If I were to switch "reincarnated person" for a young genious from that world will the story be different?.
There's many good stories that suffer a great deal trying to make the MC a japanese reincarnated when its not needed.
Waxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 03:18   Link #9
cabman11

It's the source of his extreme paranoia of not wanting to die and the drive for his pursuit of immortality
Old 2016-12-26, 03:44   Link #10
Waxman

But you could easily replaced that with a tragic past, maybe he watched someone close to him die or that a person he respected a great deal died before he/she could develop his/her fully or reach a goal.
Or some other experience.
The fact that he is scared of the death after dying is a little weird.
I know I Know, burned once but most of the time death is scary because we don't know what happen after, the other things to be scared would be the pain or the regret of leaving something unfinished.
But if you wanted a character that his main goal is survive at all cost you could give a better reason that he already died once.
Old 2016-12-26, 09:57   Link #11
Kristoped

Must be easier to write about a reincarnated person than a genius.

If you want to make your MC a genius a you actually have to show that he is smart.
while with a reincarnated person you do not.

So often do you see a "genius" mc that are supposed to be so much smarter than other people but what the author does is just make the other people dumb as a brick.

MC can just be as smart as the author.
Kristoped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-30, 00:25   Link #12
soularc55
7th dimensional king

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
This novel is evil, so dark. Later he made his maid to...

Also the poll is stupid, doesn't match the tone of this novel at all.
I highly doubt what he made her do or... essentially voluntarily had her go through needed much modifications in the first place. Moreover, there wasn't much objections so to say. Essentially, whether it be absolute obedience or sheer will to follow him the rest of his journey, it seems more of the latter.
Old 2016-12-31, 19:32   Link #13
soularc55
7th dimensional king

I just love how his teacher was thinking about the slaves he took in. Compared to what normally happens to slaves, the mc just does something probably much worse in comparison and you can probably hear the screams. Ha ha!
Old 2016-12-31, 20:00   Link #14
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoped View Post
Must be easier to write about a reincarnated person than a genius.

If you want to make your MC a genius a you actually have to show that he is smart.
while with a reincarnated person you do not.

So often do you see a "genius" mc that are supposed to be so much smarter than other people but what the author does is just make the other people dumb as a brick.

MC can just be as smart as the author.
Yeah, you can't really make the MC much more intelligent than you are. While it might be possible to use some tricks here and there (because you are the one who knows everything about the world), it stops being believable if you overdue this. On the other hand you have to also let the MC make mistakes sometimes and let some other characters do some thinking (thus spreading your thinking capabilities throughout the whole work), which leads most authors to make the MC stupid, and everything is much easier.
While I love smart MCs, I have seen too many MCs that are supposedly smart, but in reality the author is just transferring all the knowledge of the world (of which he is the master) straight to the MCs head or using all his even a bit smart ideas for the MC with all the other characters not using their heads at all, which makes the whole novel feel stupid.

By the way, it's quite believable for the MC to be terrified of death after dying once. The death does not feal real for most people, while we all know it will come "once", it's all quite abstract and as such not really so scary. On the other hand the MC has already "lived through" it once and thus for him the death is really concrete ixistence, yet he knows nothing about what might happen if it happens again.

Well I don't love too dark series, thus I am yet to read even signle sentence of this work.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-31, 22:42   Link #15
cabman11

It's not that incredibly dark
Old 2017-01-18, 03:37   Link #16
soularc55
7th dimensional king

Why the hell does majority go with magic (poll)? Is alchemy not a widely-pursued field? Why, does handwaving to cast a fireball or chant some unintelligible spell seem appropriate? I'd like to know.
Old 2017-01-18, 03:51   Link #17
cabman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by soularc55 View Post
Why the hell does majority go with magic (poll)? Is alchemy not a widely-pursued field? Why, does handwaving to cast a fireball or chant some unintelligible spell seem appropriate? I'd like to know.
Because with magic you can do alchemy, the magical kind. Regular Alchemy might not necessarily be magical.
Old 2017-01-18, 04:01   Link #18
Waxman

The question says "if you're reincarnated in a world with magic..." what do you spect?
Of cource Alchemy sound great and so does martial arts.
But when you speak of a world with magic i just assumed that alchemy was another field, a more specialized field of magic just like in many LN martial arts are the way to use magic to enhance the physical body.
Old 2017-01-20, 18:32   Link #19
soularc55
7th dimensional king

Putting the samples out.
sample

Edit:sorry, messed up in link.

Last edited by soularc55; 2017-01-20 at 18:35. Reason: link messed up
soularc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-25, 06:30   Link #20
soularc55
7th dimensional king

Hm, normally, when there's some sort of villain character, they act all happy or sadistic when really gruesome things goes on. Which seems scarier? The sadistic or apathetic villain? Because Talese really has no emotion when it comes to him and the slaves being tormented by the experiments. No joy, laughter or sadness, just one cold eye. I wonder which seems scarier?

Tags
alchemy, brainwash, evil mc, experiments, magic, maid