AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2018-05-18, 16:28   Link #1
sasuke706

Hazure Skill 【Mapping】 wo Tenishita Ore wa, Saikyou no Party Totomoni Dungeon ni Idom

外れスキル【地図化(マッピング)】を手にした俺は、最強パーティーと共にダンジョンに挑む (Hazure Skill 【Mapping】 wo Te ni shita Ore wa, Saikyou no Party Totomoni Dungeon ni Idomu)
Translation: I Who Obtained the Trash Skill 【Mapping】 Challenge the Dungeon with the Strongest Party
Author: Kamono Udon (鴨野 うどん)
Artist: Shizuki Hitomi/Mephist0 (雫綺一生/めふぃすと)

Summary:
Quote:
Note, having turned 15 years old, was granted the "mapping" skill at the rite of bestowal, which is a skill considered a complete downgrade to other similar skills such as "World Map" and "Area Map." Hence, a trash skill.
Alas, Note has his childhood friend who had obtained powerful skills herself give up on him

Having been abandoned by his childhood friend and target of romance, he spends his discouraging days earning pocket change as an adventurer.
But one day a young man calls out to him, saying that his skill is needed by his party, turning his life around.

This is a tale of growth about a boy, Note, with neither a cheat nor special skill joining the strongest party composed of nothing but those with cheat skills themselves, as he agonizes, endeavors, and struggles to conquer the dungeon.
Spoiler for FAQ:

Spoiler for The Arrivers Party/Cast:

Spoiler for Random combat/skill/arts info:

Got published and the author's actually updating again at a much better pace than before after forever, so decided to make thread.

Overall it's a pretty fun growth story.
Protag takes slow but firm steps in his growth, physically and mentally.

Looks like it has translations that died a while ago.
Might update the character info above with actual skills and stuff. Eventually.

Last edited by sasuke706; 2018-05-20 at 11:23.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-18, 16:42   Link #2
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Oh, this got an LN

MC's skill seemed lame so I didn't read this
Is this another "Your skill suck actually really OP" thing tho?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-18, 16:46   Link #3
sasuke706

No, his skill actually sucks.
It makes him a very good scout and shows worth in navigating the dungeon, but the skill itself sucks.
Learns enemy detection Arts, which has good synergy with his map, but it doesn't become OP.

The reason being that his skill sucks is the entire world is already completely mapped out, so anyone can buy a cheap map and already be better than his skill.
Shows its worth in dungeons, which aren't mapped out is all. Even then it's not like it's necessary by any means, just really useful.

I answered this in the OP already, in the FAQ.
Old 2018-05-18, 16:58   Link #4
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^
This :
Quote:
No. He makes for a good evasion tank and scout, though.
That didn't explain how his skill works tho

Why was that strongest party recruited him btw? Why him specifically?
Old 2018-05-18, 17:01   Link #5
Rasty

^^ You also left out the thing, that there are 3 different mapping skills and the two other being much better (one being "cheaper" thus allowing for having another skill and one being just better version of his), but his skill is the only type that actually works in dungeons (which is not well known because firstly the guys with this skill are weak and even if someone miraculously finds out he hides it for his own profit).

Also, MC is still by far the weakest member of the party, but compared to other people he should be already in "rather strong" category. Though the skill has little to do with that.

^ Him specifically because the skill is rare and he was even rarer case of a guy who is an adventurer + wants to fight.
As for why they wanted the skill, it's because the dungeon gets too freaking big in lower levels and they felt like they just can't progress because of that (even though they were strong enough). And they realized the possibility of the skill because of one of his predecessors that found out -> they found a skeleton with perfect map of in a lower floor (remember how I said that the skill is weak? that's why a skeleton).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-18, 17:11   Link #6
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^His skill is the only type that works in dungeons?
That's not trash skill at all isn't it
No doubt most sought after by adventurers

If the only application of that skill is in dungeons, naturally most of the users would've attained same mindset as MC?
Old 2018-05-18, 17:16   Link #7
Rasty

^ Not really, almost no one knows that it works in dungeons because it's basically a suicide to go to a dungeon for someone with this skill. It's like a wheelchair-bound guy becoming a paratrooper.

Also the upper floors are decently mapped and reasonably small, so there is little meaning in the skill there. On the other hand the lower floors are super dangerous even for people with great fighting skills, the only reasons for MC surviving there is him being extremely diligent with his evasion training, having best teachers and the strongest party around (maybe in the world) protecting him.
Old 2018-05-18, 17:25   Link #8
sasuke706

^^^No, that's in the summary.
Didn't go in depth in the explanation, but I did mention the other map skills.

He's also technically stronger than their cleric, seeing as she can't fight, or run.
Good healer, though.

^^He has no fighting abilities. The only reason the Arrivers came to the conclusion that his map skill might be useful is because they found the corpse of another guy who had the same skill in the dungeon.
Dungeons also have a weird 6-person limit, so that's bringing one non-combatant who will likely just easily die, when even stronger fighters can also just die from bad luck.

So they had to find someone with the skill, and that person had to be willing to be an adventurer despite the massive handicap.
Nort was literally the only candidate, seeing as he stayed as an adventurer even after obtaining the skill.

He later learns how to dodge and sense enemies, but his ability to attack is still utter crap.
Old 2018-05-18, 19:52   Link #9
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Yeah, also the skill itself isn't actually trash, the problem is that it takes all his skill slots, so it's considered trash.

Anyway, dropped it because no update for a while, but if it's being updated again might as well continue to read.

Also, you make the CF sound like a bitch in the summary, but personally I respect her for actually supporting him for half year when he was like that.
Rinvelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-18, 20:10   Link #10
sasuke706

It's considered trash because it has no known practical use, and it takes up all the slots.
Of course it working in dungeons is a secret, but otherwise it would be useless as a skill even for a 1 slot.
Of course the other map ones are also not very great. Only reason they're considered better is one is an effective downgrade of the protagonist's map (less range, doesn't store it as a map, if I recall) but only costs 2 slots, meaning they still have one other skill. It's less that it's better and more that the potential of another skill is valued more highly. Of course if the other skill is complete garbage it makes no difference.

And the other one also takes up all 3 slots, but is a world map. This isn't so great since due to this skill in the past, world maps have already become wide-spread, but is useful for determining in changing in land or whatever at least.
But overall, outside of dungeons, the world map is a blatant upgrade to the protagonist's. Well, unless he goes to space (but it's not sci-fi), but even then I imagine 'world map' would work on other planets too.
The 2 slot one probably works in the dungeon but is useless considering it doesn't record and has less range, and the world map just doesn't work in the dungeon as the dungeon is like a separate dimensional plane or something.

Even without the protagonist's map, they could just go dungeon crawler style and map it out themselves. Some people might even objectively consider it better, since they can get a solid fighter or whatever for an overall safer adventure.
It'd take longer, and they don't get the wall-ignoring radius the protag does, but it still devalues the protagonist's skill since that's basically what everyone else does. Or they buy those maps.

So map skills are just generally bad luck draws.
I don't think there's any other mentioned trash skills, though.
There's obviously others, but everyone's skills that we get to see are generally pretty useful at a glance.

I didn't make Mia sound like a bitch; the author does. I actually lightened it up a little. The 'gives up on the protag' part was actually more like 'turns her back on him' in the raws. A lot worse, yeah?
The original summary completely makes it sound like she's at fault when it's 100% the protagonist. She was actually very patient with him.
I just translated what it was, and reworded/rearranged a little because the average Japanese novel summary is complete turds.

Of course the protagonist also understands this in-story and only blames himself; the summary just makes it look like he doesn't.
He even seems to think that it'd be better off if they just don't meet again, so she can move on with her life without him holding her back.
At the very least he's already found a new love in his life, so his first crush replacement went off without a hitch.

Spoiler for :
Old 2018-05-18, 20:21   Link #11
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^True, you just translated the Japanese synopsis, my bad.
Old 2018-05-18, 21:05   Link #12
Lazgrane
Dimension Exploiter

So the whole first love debacle just existed to make mc seem more sympathetic?
Old 2018-05-18, 21:09   Link #13
sasuke706

Nah, more like seem more pathetic.
He went into depression over not being on par with the childhood friend, and she wasn't able to pull him out of depression. Some love, yeah? Not like they were dating or anything. First crush level.
His constant reminders of depression, his skill and never finding a use for it, and the childhood friend showing him what could have been was preventing him from moving on, though. He probably felt like she was trying to help him out of pity.
Ironically it was a random man who helped, but his wallowing in misery alone for half a year probably also helped, since he wanted to change. A good opportunity helped with that.

Plus I made it sound light, but he did actually go through a lot to fall in love with someone else.
He didn't actually just readily fall in love with a random girl he just met. Rather, they didn't get along at all for a long time.
Old 2018-05-18, 22:03   Link #14
wuhugm
Confused Shark

The 6-people limit explains it all

I thought, "what's the deal with having 1 extra scout?" lol~

That group limit exists in several other novels too, weird system
Old 2018-05-18, 22:53   Link #15
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^Actually it's not the dungeon who limits the group to 6 persons, but the teleport crystal.

But it's still weird because, can't they just teleport in different groups? I mean, it doesn't look like there is a time restriction between each use of the crystal...

Last edited by Rinvelt; 2018-05-18 at 23:32.
Old 2018-05-18, 23:06   Link #16
sasuke706

I actually thought the same thing as well.

I just kinda assumed there was a mechanism that prevented it that I don't think was mentioned.
Like the points they teleport to are random making getting a match difficult, or maybe even have a cooldown to that specific point on top of it.
But there doesn't seem to be anything particular preventing them from joining up with a group inside the dungeon if they do find them.
At least there's no mention of the dungeon going crazy to kill groups over 6.

There was another novel where if you went in with too many people, the dungeon would ramp up trying to kill them.
Old 2018-05-19, 23:37   Link #17
mickbis

One of those no-easy mode and no op MC huh?
followed
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 00:29   Link #18
coded321
He Who Games

So what exactly is the appeal of this series? From all the info I've read so far, the entire series is about reinforcing how unfortunate and pathetic the mc is. What's the point here exactly? If the entire party is op, why does he even need to bother? Is he supposed to be an underdog type like Bel from danmachi?
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 03:37   Link #19
Rasty

^ Nope, it's just the "prologue" part that is trying to portray him as pathetic. After that it's mostly about him trying to get out of that state and slowly succeeding.

It's adventure with some elements of romance mixed in. The good points are the novel taking itself seriously (not that there aren't gags, but the main plot is serious for a change), the MC not being a god (meaning he actually has to work hard to achieve something), yet still not being dark (contrary to the prologue, he might be a bit traumatized, but certainly not constantly wallowing in depressions).
Old 2018-05-20, 04:08   Link #20
Darius Drake

^^ Not really. Bel from Danmachi starts off "weak" but becomes quite strong as an individual just from putting in the effort and getting proper training. The MC of this (Nort) appears to becoming more of an absolute support character. His main skill is Mapping, he gets the support abilities of Trap & Enemy Detection from gaining the Thief Class, learns how to disarm traps and learns how to dodge attacks well so that he won't need to be protected. He is, however, absolute garbage with anything related to attack, and will likely stay that way for a while, if not permanently. However, the advantages to mixing Mapping and the Thief Class are outright shown throughout the story.

The purpose behind pointing out how unfortunate and pathetic the MC (Nort) is before the start is to actually give him an explanation as to why he's willing to risk his life to become better than he was. Because not only is that what the Arrivers are asking him to do, but he is also willing to do exactly that because it's the right thing to do at several points in the story. Additionally, this story is told in first person, so it also displays his emotional state at the beginning of the story. It's entirely possible that his childhood friend (Mia) left him because she saw how much her being strong while he wasn't able to match her was hurting him, and came to the conclusion that Nort would probably be able to deal with having the Mapping Skill more easily if she wasn't around reminding him constantly by accident. It's just that he didn't/couldn't see it that way, particularly due to his depression at how weak he was, and thus we get her leaving him "talking to him in a cold voice". It also allows him to operate at points in time when most others would be wallowing in despair, because he is actively trying to drag himself OUT of despair by throwing himself into dangerous situations.

Honestly, though, I have to wonder why Nort wasn't already a Thief before the start of the story. Or why he didn't have any Job Class at all. There isn't anything to suggest that there's any detriment to having a Class, or any real issue with gaining or changing classes. And there's known and active benefits of having Abilities which can be gained through having a class. It doesn't explain how classes are picked up, how they are decided or anything else like that. It's honestly strange. The story also doesn't seem to explain how the Arrivers (the party that gets Nort to join them) heard about him, but I honestly suspect that they heard about him from Mia.
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon, fantasy, growth, harem