AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-20, 16:10   Link #101
Ashramaru
☻1st Class☻

Send a message via AIM to Ashramaru Send a message via MSN to Ashramaru
Um well has anyone forgotten about Y2K, well I haven't and nothing happened.
"Lastly, hidden with the bottom confines of the ship lays “The Dreamer”, with his eye closed and quill in hand he rests. His dreams, his ambition, his strife will be transcended to all those on this voyage."

Currently Working On: The Last Bible|IMAGINE
Ashramaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 19:54   Link #102
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashramaru View Post
Um well has anyone forgotten about Y2K, well I haven't and nothing happened.
Actually, stuff did happen.

I'll let Vexx jii-san's awesome post in this thread answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
No... the "millenium bug" was real. What people were scammed with was all the media and press idiots who made a lot of money selling reams of magazines, television news, and newspapers scaring the hell out of people about it. Many man-hours were spent in industry fixing virtually all the meaningful problems before the clock struck midnight.

The press simply never reported it because it seems quiet success is not newsworthy. I probably corrected a dozen issues for various companies myself in the late 90s. A friend of mine in the power sector spent a couple of years reviewing and correcting thousands of lines of software relating to the electric company he works for.
So it was computer problems; the year code "99" resets back to "00." That means a lot of things related to it could break. Since the techheads anticipated that a long time ago and worked hard to clear up the problem before it began, a minimum number of problems actually occurred.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 22:07   Link #103
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Actually, stuff did happen.

I'll let Vexx jii-san's awesome post in this thread answers:

So it was computer problems; the year code "99" resets back to "00." That means a lot of things related to it could break. Since the techheads anticipated that a long time ago and worked hard to clear up the problem before it began, a minimum number of problems actually occurred.
Aye, Iren. Cookie for you. But, alas, the cookie nazis are stopping me.

Good things don't get publicized, while bad things get their day in the sun.
Old 2009-10-20, 22:34   Link #104
JustInn14
moo

Personally, I don't think the world will end on this date. There have been many phony "end of the world" predictions flying around, and I think this is just another one.

Just my opinion...
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 22:59   Link #105
LeoXiao
思想工作

Why should the world end? There don't seem to be any large objects coming our way, and the sun isn't going to disappear for quite a while. The Mayans probably just got tired of writing their calender or couldn't predict anything after 2012.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 23:02   Link #106
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Aye, Iren. Cookie for you. But, alas, the cookie nazis are stopping me.
Tasty cookie belongs more to Vexx jii-san more than me, IMO. He was the one who wrote the post I quoted.
Old 2009-10-21, 02:10   Link #107
npcomplete

Quote:
I worked on some Y2K issues in early 1999. I recall the reaction we had internally to the cynical pundits editorials after new years, like "what was all the commotion around y2k? why did we spend all that money for nothing?" (I forget who but someone in the news asked that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Why should the world end? There don't seem to be any large objects coming our way, and the sun isn't going to disappear for quite a while. The Mayans probably just got tired of writing their calender or couldn't predict anything after 2012.
Yeah that's what they themselves have said, as well as some researchers. Although I would put the reason as more than just "got tired of writing the calendar" as it seems to be strongly tied to astronomical cycles.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 02:20   Link #108
FateAnomaly

They have to stop writing their calendars at some point eventually. So i say it is really "got tired of writing the calendar".
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 09:03   Link #109
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post

Here is what I thought...
"This is like Indiana Jones on steroids F# YEH!"
but more like Indy without the relics and stuff ha ha ha, that is way too over the top

Also, they say people in my country and others will be dying between 17 and 19 Nov this year due to a super storm on the North Sea
-_-;

http://www.geenstijl.nl/archives/ima...eonieuwsch.pdf
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 11:53   Link #110
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Here is what I thought...
"This is like Indiana Jones on steroids F# YEH!"
but more like Indy without the relics and stuff ha ha ha, that is way too over the top

Also, they say people in my country and others will be dying between 17 and 19 Nov this year due to a super storm on the North Sea
-_-;

http://www.geenstijl.nl/archives/ima...eonieuwsch.pdf
So many lines i can't even see the map
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 17:54   Link #111
JustInn14
moo

Quote:
-_-;
What'd I tell ya? Everyone just keeps pulling out more and more disaster/end of life as we know it "theories" all the time.

I bet it won't happen. If it does, it certainly won't be on that big of a scale.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 14:33   Link #112
Solafighter
Hige

This movie is going to be big.
Cant wait for it.
Old 2009-10-25, 23:26   Link #113
prometheus126
king of the fire

Location: The land of tourist traps, old people and oranges. oh! and also spaceships!!
As I've always stated "If the Mayan Calender predicted everything that had ever happened, why didn't it predict their end?"

Yet I'm not stupid enough to basically write anything off as pure gullible hysteria no matter how Improbable or insane it is. whatever happens happens but this solar megaflare hogwash is mindless drival. I love the fact that this all came from that really bad Nicholas Cage movie "knowing".
prometheus126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 03:46   Link #114
Kamiyama_Satoru

Okay so this is a subject that is really discussed everywhere in my country. And everyone actually believes that we will all die when the date of 21 december 2012 will come. To be honest guys, I so doubt it. I mean, the end of the world has been predicted so many times and in so many forms that it seems it has become a sort of weird paranoia. Beside, I really don't think any human can actually tell us when we will all be destroyed. It has been said that in 06.06.2006 the Antichrist will come and he will make a huge mess everywhere and the world will blow and so on and so forth... I don't remember any devil's child coming XD And even if the world would really end on december 2012, what is the use in panic? We will all die one day, we can't change that. I for one, am expecting the unexpected every day. I live each second as if it was the last one and I don't regret it, I actually enjoy every minute of life. But anyway, that was my opinion and I thought to share it with you guys when I saw the title XD
Kamiyama_Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 04:04   Link #115
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
This movie is going to be big.
Cant wait for it.
Eh. I guess I've grown to be the artsy, cynically pretentious type over the years, but...

I'm going to make a prediction now, and unlike this stupid craze born from a Western misinterpretation of Mayan mythology, I'm going to be right: this movie will suck.

Like, Transformers 2 suck. Not that I've ever seen that movie of course, but pretentious cynics like me tend to be right anyway. This one looks like it's going to be all brainless spectacle, no real tension, no sophistication -- a big waste of expensive special effects, like every other Hollywood disaster movies out there.
Old 2009-10-26, 20:17   Link #116
prometheus126
king of the fire

Location: The land of tourist traps, old people and oranges. oh! and also spaceships!!
Quote:
Eh. I guess I've grown to be the artsy, cynically pretentious type over the years, but...

Like, Transformers 2 suck. Not that I've ever seen that movie of course, but pretentious cynics like me tend to be right anyway. This one looks like it's going to be all brainless spectacle, no real tension, no sophistication -- a big waste of expensive special effects, like every other Hollywood disaster movies out there.
I don't think you need to be a artsy, cynical, nor pretentious to see that this movie will indeed suck. it's another big bang disaster film from Roland Emmerich, that's enough for me to stay clear away from it. I mean seriously, he went from aliens to radioactive iguanas to the weather with the same basic script. I'm positive one of the many main characters will have been divorced.
Old 2009-10-26, 20:28   Link #117
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus126 View Post
I don't think you need to be a artsy, cynical, nor pretentious to see that this movie will indeed suck. it's another big bang disaster film from Roland Emmerich, that's enough for me to stay clear away from it. I mean seriously, he went from aliens to radioactive iguanas to the weather with the same basic script. I'm positive one of the many main characters will have been divorced.
Yup, the whole 5 mins clip has absolutely nothing but flashy scenes of the surrounding. Not even the emotion of the main characters are shown clearly. If I want to see what chaos is, I'm gonna watch a documentary film of China 1980s.

Though you can still hope for the BGM to be good. And a flashy movie to take your easily-impressed gf to beside Disney comedies is not that unwelcoming for me.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 20:33   Link #118
prometheus126
king of the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Though you can still hope for the BGM to be good. And a flashy movie to take your easily-impressed gf to beside Disney comedies is not that unwelcoming for me.
Sadly, that wouldn't work for me. my wife is studying to become a film critic so even the thought of taking her to see it terrifies me
Old 2009-10-27, 02:12   Link #119
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

We may see the end of civilization as we know it because an alien feet will suddenly appear above our planet, zap us with a giant laser and blow our insignificant little planet to smithereens. Of course, the aliens will claim it's all to prevent the spread of another alien insectoid species that has already infested the planet.

Starcraft lore aside, I find any other "scientifically" or "historically" based claims to the destruction of the world to be far less probable - and I only think aliens are likely because that's something that we can't necessarily measure with as much definitive evidence as others.

Any astrophysicists or science fiction writers want to argue differently?
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 03:56   Link #120
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Let's see from another perspective: Define what "End of the World" means.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse