Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-12-25, 07:29   Link #761
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Is kagura and yomi relationship romantic? No. Do they have a very deep bound like sisters/friends? Yes. There. Well, that is my take of it.
I agree I never found it to be yuri which is why I don't see why it's labeled as that.I just think that they had a strong sister bond.

Downloading the insert album hopefully episode 8 insert song is there.

Last edited by karinvampire; 2008-12-25 at 11:57.
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 07:59   Link #762
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Damn. If they come to a full end on the next end the way it is, it totally kills off whatever other potential this show had. I guess it killed off so many people for a reason: That it'd end short.

In the end, the show still is a bit too cliche in many, many ways, but in terms of evoking the seriousness and dark nature of it all, I felt it was just right. But unfortunately, nothing really ambitious after all.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 09:02   Link #763
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinvampire View Post
I agree I never found it to be yuri which why I don't see why it's labeled as that.I just think that they had a strong sister bound.

Downloading the insert album hopefully episode 8 insert song is there.
Hmmm, looks like intensive slashing will be an order for this one......

*sigh* again.....
Old 2008-12-25, 13:46   Link #764
theorys
Astral Traveller

Thumbs down Terribly written show named Ga-Rei Zero

After watching this series, I must say it's a piece of crap. If you want to see a short term show with a little action and dark vibes, watch Shigofumi.

Ga-Rei Zero summary
Episode 1. Great, amazing, violent, edgy. And it's just there to get you hooked.
Episode 2. Great, keeps the story going.
Episode 3-10. (You can skip it entirely and not miss anything. 8 episodes of girlxgirl/upskirt/fan service)
Episode 11. Picks up where Episode 2 leaves off.
Episode 12. So many plot holes I want to just stab the writer(s).

The ending was so full of unbelivable bullshit that I couldn't believe what I was seeing. '2 years later' my ass...the leader was dead. I don't want to hear about how bla bla bla she was miraculously saved. That's bs.

And all these comments about this show being yuri? FALSE Watch Maria-Sama Ga Miteru or Strawberry Panic! for real yuri. There's a world of difference between yuri and fan service. THIS IS FAN SERVICE.

Last edited by theorys; 2008-12-25 at 14:05. Reason: the yuri comments made me lawl
theorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 14:15   Link #765
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Shamefully, I started watching GRZ because of that little Pocky scene in episode four, my inner yuri fangirl was curious. But y'know, didn't get any yuri out of it. Just a really cute sisterly bond. But I'm not complaining. Even though I can see subtext, I think it's better off to just leave them as sisters. It'd make me smile if there was something more, but their bond can do without it. The show was a bit predictable and some episodes were rather cliche, but hey, it's a prequel. But I think the way it was executed was well done.

Anyway drew some Kagura/Yomi fanart cos I'm lame =u=

Spoiler for saving space:
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 14:47   Link #766
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I was about to drop the series after the first two episodes ... it just seemed like an action flick with annoying BMG, CG-dinosaurs hunted down by ghost-busters with ridiculous weapons.

But then episodes 3-5, changed my mind ... certainly not the best of the series, but it showed potential and some of the ridiculous weapons (like Yomi's Holy Iron) were actually quite sarcastic to just pass.

Thereafter the series was really amazing, action scenes continued to be very well drawn and animated, while they were not pointless. Plot and development picked up at a very good pace and especially after the middle the drama was broken by seemingly unfitting funservice, but that worked fine for me ... though I can understand why people run ape about it.

I must admit this is no work of art, far from it, but it was a very enjoyable series and I certainly hope that the same team will work with the manga in the future, though keeping the anime atmosphere, since the manga is more generic shounen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorys View Post
After watching this series, I must say it's a piece of crap. If you want to see a short term show with a little action and dark vibes, watch Shigofumi.

Ga-Rei Zero summary
Episode 1. Great, amazing, violent, edgy. And it's just there to get you hooked.
Episode 3-10. (You can skip it entirely and not miss anything. 8 episodes of girlxgirl/upskirt/fan service)
Plot-holes? What do you expect after not paying attention to episodes 3-10?

Quote:
The ending was so full of unbelivable bullshit that I couldn't believe what I was seeing. '2 years later' my ass...the leader was dead. I don't want to hear about how bla bla bla she was miraculously saved. That's bs.
Not really she was probably dead, as was the assumption for Kagura after the second episode (before she was revealed to be the protagonist).

Quote:
And all these comments about this show being yuri? FALSE Watch Maria-Sama Ga Miteru or Strawberry Panic! for real yuri. There's a world of difference between yuri and fan service. THIS IS FAN SERVICE.
I completely agree here. The girls were just playing a little bit too much, there was nothing romantic about it.

Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 16:09   Link #767
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Huh? Rewatch those episodes again and try to tell me nothing important happens.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 20:38   Link #768
Slick_rick

Quote:
I couldn't resist that comment was too funny. Maria-Sama Ga Miteru real Yuri huh?
Spoiler for Maria-sama:

If anyone should be using Maria-sama it's me to prove that the relationships in the show don't have to be overt for it to be considered Yuri. You can disagree with me all you want, I could careless, but don't try to mock my opinion especially when your comment is so pathetically flawed.

Quote:
No comment...
Old 2008-12-25, 21:11   Link #769
ShiniIllumi

Quote:

Ga-Rei Zero summary

Um...

I guess if you skip those episodes you'd have such a shallow review on the show. The lack of a final "yuri" plot must have killed a decent review from you? I think episodes 3-10 were actually pretty good. They explain why Yomi went bat-shit crazy. About Kagura's insecurities. Even a little backstory as to where the Death Stone came from.

This show isn't about the yuri subtones, at least, I didn't get that out of it. But I think it's pretty suitable for being a dark/angsty type of anime, with some fanservice on the side.
Old 2008-12-25, 21:14   Link #770
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Actually ep 1 and 2 are the ones that can be skipped. Most of ep2 is in ep10 and without ep2 there's no mention of ep1 team at all. The whole show actually flows quite well if you start from ep3.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 21:20   Link #771
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Actually ep 1 and 2 are the ones that can be skipped. Most of ep2 is in ep10 and without ep2 there's no mention of ep1 team at all. The whole show actually flows quite well if you start from ep3.
Ep1 is too epic to miss though. It's the writers trolling the fans and Yomi making her grand entrance in style.
Old 2008-12-25, 21:28   Link #772
Thingle
Banned

Is it just me, or is Kagura now at the same level as Shinji in terms of being a terrible protagonist? Man. She can't pull the trigger, can she?
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 21:39   Link #773
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Is it just me, or is Kagura now at the same level as Shinji in terms of being a terrible protagonist? Man. She can't pull the trigger, can she?
Kagura? who? Well, this series did a good job portrating Yomi, but not kagura. After all, Kagura is from a shonen manga, which typically focuses very little on character developmet and drama.
Old 2008-12-25, 22:00   Link #774
Thingle
Banned

Kagura is one lame excuse for a main character. She brought down the series by herself
Old 2008-12-25, 23:12   Link #775
jtstellar

Quote:
Kagura is one lame excuse for a main character. She brought down the series by herself
i forgive her since she is cute.
jtstellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 23:26   Link #776
Thingle
Banned

All by herself... Her pocky eating, crybaby, combat helpless nature. Her whining "YOMI YOMI YOMI" only makes it worse.
Old 2008-12-25, 23:55   Link #777
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

I really enjoyed that anime, it was a nice surprise

I almost dropped it after reading about episodes 3 and 4 "yuri"/slice-of-life approach, but since it didn't last, I picked it up again. And I don't regret.
And aw, Kagura was annoying at first but, with the kind of life she had, I don't blame her too much. At least she matured in the end, and that's all that matters to me.

To be honest, I was more touched by the father/daughter relationships in this anime than by Yomi&Kagura's sisterly bond. Seeing those young girls (well, I could have added Noriyuki too if we had seen more about his father) inheriting such heavy burdens and struggling to not dishonour their families ... I got teary-eyed when Kagura and her father bonded, and all this after a tragic revelation about her fate.

So yeah, I'd say it's a series worth checking, especially since it's quite short and well paced. Too bad some things will have to be left unresolved. I still wonder what was up with Aoi and Tooru.
Eurys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 00:00   Link #778
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
All by herself... Her pocky eating, crybaby, combat helpless nature. Her whining "YOMI YOMI YOMI" only makes it worse.
pretend yomi is the main character of the show
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 00:08   Link #779
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
pretend yomi is the main character of the show
Death stone pretty much sealed her as the villain.
Old 2008-12-26, 00:09   Link #780
Slick_rick

Quote:
As much people hate on characters like her doesn't mean such a character isn't needed. NGE wouldn't have been anywhere as great of an anime without all the angst Shinji's character when through. Kagura is just as essential as Yomi to the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurys View Post
I still wonder what was up with Aoi and Tooru.
Sounds like material for a future ova.

Quote:
Death stone pretty much sealed her as the villain.
Mitagawa was more the villian. I see her more as a tragic fallen hero of the story more than anything else.

Tags
action, shounen