Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2014-05-06, 20:50   Link #1
Dominic Night
Its time to Exist

Win7 issue (Won't shutdown)

Yeah, hello again.

Recently I have been having this issue with my windows 7.
Whenever I go to shut it down, it goes to the 'Shutting down...' screen. But it doesn't turn off, I wait for around 15 to 20 minutes but it stay in that screen. It happen today and I'm getting a bit more fearful of what might happen to the computer. (I force shutdown by holding the button.)

Today I didn't really do much other than;

Internet Explorer 11?
youtube,
4chan,
nicovideo,
bowlroll (DL a model tweedledee for MMD)

Off internet;
LibreOffice 4.0
MikuMikuDance (MMD)
Anti-virus Kaspersky (14.)
Dominic Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 00:13   Link #2
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

After you've force shut down your computer, boot into Safe Mode With Networking (spam F8 at boot). Then, once Windows has loaded, click Start, type msconfig, and open msconfig.exe. Under the Services tab, check the Hide Microsoft Services box, and click Disable All. Then, under the Startup tab, click Disable All. Click Apply, and restart your computer. Once Windows has fully loaded once again, try shutting down properly.

If that worked, then the issue is one of your program's services messing up. Otherwise, it may be an issue with Windows. If that is the case, then perform an SFC scan:

1. Click the Start button.

2. From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories.

3. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option.

4. From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option.

5. If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled, you will be asked for authorization prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.

6. In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter.

7. A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'.

8. Be patient because the scan may take some time

9. If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your win7 DVD for this process to continue

10. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

11. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.
Old 2014-05-07, 07:53   Link #3
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

When did your issue start happening? What about the general performance of your computer? Are things taking too long to load? When was the last time the computer performed Windows Updates, and were they installed successfully?
Check the Reliability Monitor as well, which you can find at: "Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Reliability Monitor". Pay close attention to any "X"s in it, and report back.
Perhaps you could also check the health of your hard drive with something like CrystalDiskInfo.
Old 2014-05-07, 09:12   Link #4
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

I've experienced the same problem quite a long time ago, but I'm not sure whether our case is the same.

In my case, the cause of the problem is incorrect driver installation. We are supposed to restart the computer for each new driver installation (even if the installer doesn't tell us to, just to be safe). Back then I stacked my installations and restart after everything is done. This is what caused my laptop to freeze when shutting down.

Well, if you've done something driver-related recently, it might be the cause. This is just based from my experience, so I have no idea for the other possible causes.
Old 2014-05-07, 11:42   Link #5
Dominic Night
Its time to Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
After you've force shut down your computer, boot into Safe Mode With Networking (spam F8 at boot). Then, once Windows has loaded, click Start, type msconfig, and open msconfig.exe. Under the Services tab, check the Hide Microsoft Services box, and click Disable All. Then, under the Startup tab, click Disable All. Click Apply, and restart your computer. Once Windows has fully loaded once again, try shutting down properly.

If that worked, then the issue is one of your program's services messing up. Otherwise, it may be an issue with Windows. If that is the case, then perform an SFC scan:

1. Click the Start button.

2. From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories.

3. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option.

4. From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option.

5. If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled, you will be asked for authorization prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.

6. In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press Enter.

7. A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'.

8. Be patient because the scan may take some time

9. If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your win7 DVD for this process to continue

10. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

11. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.
I don't have one, Bought the computer from Dell's website. Unless you mean the Drivers CD (Have to look for it.)

Quote:
When did your issue start happening? What about the general performance of your computer? Are things taking too long to load? When was the last time the computer performed Windows Updates, and were they installed successfully?
Check the Reliability Monitor as well, which you can find at: "Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Reliability Monitor". Pay close attention to any "X"s in it, and report back.
Perhaps you could also check the health of your hard drive with something like CrystalDiskInfo.
-From what I can remember either in a April or late March. I think its when we updated the Kaspersky. Atleast this is the only one that came to mind.
-Things seem to load normally
-Looking at the monitor it seems that some Kaspersky Internet Security was said to be unsuccessful at removal (There was a situation where we downloaded the wrong thing, although using the code she got from the email it shifted back to Anti-virus, of course the firewall went down for a moment and she went to click on the solution in the bottom right corner which reverted it back to IS. Then going back to the code to get it to AV.) But than there were other 'x' before that with some windows couldn't shutdown.
-Last update I did was last week after it failed to shutdown. Although when I updated and shutdown it was fine.
Dominic Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 15:12   Link #6
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Night View Post
-From what I can remember either in a April or late March. I think its when we updated the Kaspersky. Atleast this is the only one that came to mind.
-Looking at the monitor it seems that some Kaspersky Internet Security was said to be unsuccessful at removal (There was a situation where we downloaded the wrong thing, although using the code she got from the email it shifted back to Anti-virus, of course the firewall went down for a moment and she went to click on the solution in the bottom right corner which reverted it back to IS. Then going back to the code to get it to AV.) But than there were other 'x' before that with some windows couldn't shutdown.
Sounds like your Anti-virus is to blame. I suggest removing the entire suite, restart, and then reinstall the suite and restart (of course, you want to consult Kaspersky to make sure that you can again use whatever code you paid for). Since anti-virus progams can be especially obnoxious to remove, use THIS LINK to download and run Microsoft's Fix It tool from removing stubborn programs.

Let us know if this works.
Old 2014-05-07, 16:09   Link #7
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

There is Kasperky's Removal Tool, kavremover, that you can try as well. You will need to reactivate when you reinstall though, so be sure to have your key handy.