AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2004-06-10, 16:17   Link #41
ShadowLady
Darkness Prevails

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowLady Send a message via MSN to ShadowLady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken33
But I still donīt want to loose against the dutch .
Let us loose against the czechs and the latvians .
when is that match anyway? I hope you guys win, then at least soccer madness is over, i hate soccer
ShadowLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 16:31   Link #42
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Phase 1 schedule:

12 June 2004 - Group A
Portugal 17:00 Greece
Spain 19:45 Russia

13 June 2004 - Group B
Switzerland 17:00 Croatia
France 19:45 England

14 June 2004 - Group C
Denmark 17:00 Italy
Sweden 19:45 Bulgaria

15 June 2004 - Group D
Germany 19:45 Netherlands
Czech Republic 17:00 Latvia

16 June 2004 - Group A
Greece 17:00 Spain
Russia 19:45 Portugal

17 June 2004 - Group B
England 17:00 Switzerland
Croatia 19:45 France

18 June 2004 - Group C
Bulgaria 17:00 Denmark
Italy 19:45 Sweden

19 June 2004 - Group D
Latvia 17:00 Germany
Netherlands 19:45 Czech Republic

20 June 2004 - Group A
Spain 19:45 Portugal
Russia 19:45 Greece

21 June 2004 - Group B
Croatia 19:45 England
Switzerland 19:45 France

22 June 2004 - Group C
Italy 19:45 Bulgaria
Denmark 19:45 Sweden

23 June 2004 - Group D
Netherlands 19:45 Latvia
Germany 19:45 Czech Republic
Old 2004-06-10, 17:25   Link #43
Mcdonalds

HAHAHHAHA WHAT THE HELL!?!??! how can you hate soccer, the best sport known to man (well my world anyway). Living in UK, i think i'd have to support England through the competition (used to support Italy until i reached like 14 and realised how much they dived to my annoyance). Realistically though, i do think the Italians are going to take the cup, they are solid throughout the team. Only 2 days to go for euro 2004.

For England!

Key players to look out for

- Zidane and Henry - France

- Beckham and Gerrard - England (lampard to satisfy someone ^^)

- Nistelrooy and Kluivert - Holland

- Ballack and Klose - Germany

-Nedved and Rosicky - Czech Republic

- Totti and Del Piero - Italy

- Raul and Vicente - Spain

- Figo and Paulete - Portugal

Last edited by Mcdonalds; 2004-06-10 at 17:40.
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 22:28   Link #44
Caliban
Dyaus Pitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdonalds
- Figo and Paulete - Portugal
Let me correct your error, it's Pauleta.
Caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 10:10   Link #45
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf

The Euro 2004 Football Championships.

1 DAY TO GO!

England Camp: Terry all but ruled out
From correspondents in Lisbon
June 11, 2004

JOHN TERRY's chances of playing for England in the Euro 2004 opener against France on Sunday appeared to have disappeared after the Chelsea centre-back missed a deadline to return to full training today.

Terry, 23, only took part in the first 20 minutes of England's hour-long workout before leaving his team-mates to continue rehabilitation work on his injured hamstring.

England coach Sven Goran Eriksson said he would be highly unlikely to pick Terry unless he was back in full training 48 hours ahead of the match at the Stadium of Light.

An FA spokesman said: "John is just taking part in the first part of the session then he will continue the final part of his rehabilitation with physiotherapist Gary Lewin."

Eriksson has said he would be reluctant to risk Terry aggravating the injury and missing the other two group games against Swizerland and Croatia.

With Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand suspended and Newcastle's Jonathan Woodgate out of the tournament through injury, Eriksson is facing a defensive crisis which Terry's injury has worsened.

His choice to replace Terry would be between Liverpool's Jamie Carragher and Tottenham Hotspur's Ledley King, both with little experience of playing at the heart of the English defence.

Agence France-Presse

Holland Camp: Van der Sar doubt for Dutch
From correspondents in Albufeira, Portgual
June 11, 2004

DUTCH goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar is a doubt for the Netherlands' opening Euro 2004 match against Germany on Tuesday after injuring his finger in training.

Fulham custodian Van der Sar, 33, was forced to pull out of training today after damaging a finger in his right hand.

Better news for the 1988 champions came in the form of AC Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf who participated in training for the first time since sustaining a thigh injury.

However, Dutch coach Dick Advocaat has already confirmed that Ajax ace Rafael van der Vaart will start in central midfield with Seedorf set for a spot on the substitutes' bench.

Agence France-Presse

Denmark Camp: Danish star's mum dies
From correspondents in Copenhagen
June 11, 2004

THE mother of Jesper Groenkjaer, Denmark's key striker who didn't travel with his teammates to Portugal for Euro 2004, has died, news reports said today.

On Monday, the Danish Soccer Federation said the 27-year-old forward stayed home because of an illness in his family and would remain "until he feels that he can leave Denmark and join the national side."

The rest of the Danish team arrived in Portugal on Monday.

The Ekstra Bladet and B.T., Denmark's two rival tabloid dailies, said today that Irmelin Groenkjaer, his mother, died yesterday from cancer, citing unnamed sources with the Danish team.

There was no immediate comment from the Danish Soccer Federation.

Earlier this week, Danish coach Morten Olsen said he "fully understood" Groenkjaer's wish to stay home and that Denmark, which won the championship in 1992, could face this year's tournament without the striker who has 46 caps and four goals.

More news & previews for opening matches in next post.

Agence France-Presse

http://www.euro2004.com/

http://www.football365.com/

http://www.soccernet.com/
Scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 10:52   Link #46
Scrumhalf

1 DAY TO GO!

Becks ready for France
by Simon Fudge, SkySports.com - Last Updated 11 Jun 2004

England captain David Beckham has revealed his anticipation at facing European champions France in their Euro 2004 opener on Sunday.

The Real Madrid star knows it is a crucial match for The Three Lions, as they look to get a positive start in their Group B campaign.

The former Manchester United midfielder knows his side must perform at their highest level if they are to overcome Jacques Santini's side at Estadio de Luz.

"I think everyone is talking about the game," Beckham told a packed England press conference.

"It's a game that is important to everyone in the team and in the country because it is a game between two great nations.

"We will have to perform to the highest level. We need a standard that is definitely very high.

"The expectation from the players is very high. The French team has a lot of great players, so we do have a lot of respect for them.

"But we have great players as well and I'm sure they are aware of that.

"Once we cross that white line (on Sunday), that respect will be out the window."

Beckham added that the reported war of words between both sets of players will not affect the England squad in the final build-up to Sunday's crunch match.

"There has been a lot of things said, but we are professionals and we will keep our focus when it matters," the England skipper added.

"But there will be a lot of passion and we'll see it when we are out there."

The midfield star is determined to go for the win against France on Sunday, but accepted the fact that a draw might not be a bad result either.

"I want the win, were not looking for the draw. But if we get a draw, then the draw might be good," he said.

"The first game is very important. It doesn't come any bigger than against France.

"It's a massive challenge for the country. Hopefully, it will turn out perfect for us, but we know it's going to be a hard game. Our respect for the French team is very high.

"I'm very confident that we have a good chance (to win the tournament)."

Beckham is hoping to put in a good personal performance during the finals in Portugal and stressed that France star and Real Madrid team-mate Zinedine Zidane is not the only player they can afford to be concerned about on Sunday.

"I like to think I can have a big impact but it's not just a one-man team," said Beckham.

"It's not all about one man - all the players will be trying their best.

"We know he is a great player (Zidane), but we haven't singled him out because they have a lot of great players to contend with."

The England captain also gave praise to some of the other sides in the finals - notably hosts Portugal and their Group A opponents Spain.

"I think the Spanish team is a strong squad. They are another team that has a good chance in this competition," he said.

"The Portuguese team is very strong team, especially with the home fans behind them.

"I like Portugal as a country. The people are nice and the weather is also nice."

With fears that there may be trouble from England supporters during Euro 2004, Beckham made a simple plea to those following The Three Lions in Portugal.

"I don't need to say too much to the fans other than for to give us their support - Enjoy the football and enjoy the day," he said.

Old 2004-06-11, 11:01   Link #47
Scrumhalf

1 DAY TO GO!

Portugal v Greece match preview
by Adam Marshall - Last Updated 11 Jun 2004
Portugal open the Euro 2004 tournament on Saturday with the home fans expecting victory over Otto Rehhagel's unfancied Greece.

Estadio do Dragao hosts the first game of the European Championship and coach Luiz Felipe Scolari seems to have only one major decision to make regarding his team selection.

Pauleta is likely to be the lone striker in Scolari's formation with the responsibility on the Paris Saint Germain forward to provide the goals for the host nation.

Nuno Gomes has been used in training alongside Pauleta but the Euro 2000 hero is set to start on the bench, alongside the likes of Deco and Manchester United youngster Cristiano Ronaldo.

Rui Costa's experience should see him get the nod ahead of Chelsea target Deco with Luis Figo and Simao Sabrosa expected to supply the bullets for Pauleta.

The only real dilemma for Scolari is whether to select Petit or Maniche in midfield. Benfica man Petit is the more defensive option while Porto's Maniche provides a greater attacking threat.

Nikos Dabizas is doubtful for Greece but Rehhagel has few other injury concerns going into a tough test after a number of his stars showed improvement in their condition.

Demis Nikolaidis, Antonis Nikopolidis, Traianos Dellas and Vassilis Lakis are all back in training and contending for places. Star striker Nikolaidis had looked certain to miss the opener but is making good progress from his calf injury.

"All the boys have trained except Dabizas," confirmed Rehhagel.

Team doctors have also issued a positive bulletin over keeper Nikopolidis, who has been suffering from a shoulder problem.

It means Rehhagel's troops can be more confident going into the game, but Portugal start as strong favourites to get their campaign off to a winning start.

Old 2004-06-11, 11:03   Link #48
Scrumhalf

1 DAY TO GO!

Spain v Russia match preview
by Graeme Bailey - Last Updated 11 Jun 2004
Spain open their Euro 2004 programme with a tough looking match against Russia in Faro.

The Spaniards are considered by many to be the real dark-horses for the tournament and they will be looking to make an immediate impact.

The Spanish have only won one of their opening games in the European Championships since 1980 and so victory against Russia will be important for Inaki Saez's outfit.

Spain only have a few injury problems ahead of the game, with Michel Salgado the only regular not taking his place.

The Real Madrid star has pulled out of the tournament due to a hamstring injury, meaning Barcelona's Carles Puyol will move to right back.

Carlos Marchena will take his usual place in the middle, where Ivan Helguera - who was rested from training on Friday - will partner him - with Raul Bravo looking favourite to fill the left back berth.

Midfielder David Albelda is the only current injury worry as he has a leg strain, which could see him sit the match out - but he returned to training on Thursday and should be fit.

Should the Valencia man not make the game, then Saez has a plethora of options with Xabi Alonso, Joseba Etxeberria and Joaquin all possible replacements.

Vicente has overcome his injury concerns and will start on the left side of midfield - where he will supply the ammunition for Raul and either Fernando Morientes or Fernando Torres.

Ruben Baraja and Juan Carlos Valeron will be looking to influence the team from the centre of midfield, while Saez must also decide who will play in goal with both Iker Casillas and Santiago Canizares looking for the number one spot.

Russia will know that Spain are renowned slow starters and will be looking to take advantage of this fact.

The Russians are currently unbeaten in their last six competitive games, but will match a European Championship record if they do not beat Spain, as they will have gone eight games without winning.

Russia have been dealt a number of injury blows before the tournament with their normal central defensive pairing of Viktor Onopko and Sergei Ignashevitch both absent from Portugal due to injury.

Coach Georgi Yartsev is likely to take a gamble by moving Chelsea's Alexei Smertin - who is his new captain - back into the middle of defence.

Dmitri Sennikov - who has himself just returned from injury, is likely to partner Smertin, although Yartsev could yet call on either Roman Sharonov or Alexei Bugayev.

"Losing two key defenders is a problem for any side. But this is a chance for young and less experienced players to come in and show they can play," said assistant coach Alexander Borodyuk.

Highly rated Yevgeny Aldonin is likely to benefit from Smertin's absence in the midfield by taking over the anchor role.

Marat Izmailov and Dmitri Loskov have overcome slight knocks and they will compete with Dmitri Alenichev for the playmaking role in midfield.

Rolan Gusev and Andrei Karyaka look like filling the wide roles, while the inspirational Alexander Mostovoi will also play, but the Russians have not yet decided whether he will play up-front or in midfield role supporting a lone front-man.

Dmitri Bulykin and Dmitry Sychev are battling to fill the striking places, although only one may be handed the opportunity to impress.

Old 2004-06-11, 11:06   Link #49
Scrumhalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
Phase 1 schedule:

12 June 2004 - Group A
Portugal 17:00 Greece
Spain 19:45 Russia

13 June 2004 - Group B
Switzerland 17:00 Croatia
France 19:45 England

14 June 2004 - Group C
Denmark 17:00 Italy
Sweden 19:45 Bulgaria

15 June 2004 - Group D
Germany 19:45 Netherlands
Czech Republic 17:00 Latvia

16 June 2004 - Group A
Greece 17:00 Spain
Russia 19:45 Portugal

17 June 2004 - Group B
England 17:00 Switzerland
Croatia 19:45 France

18 June 2004 - Group C
Bulgaria 17:00 Denmark
Italy 19:45 Sweden

19 June 2004 - Group D
Latvia 17:00 Germany
Netherlands 19:45 Czech Republic

20 June 2004 - Group A
Spain 19:45 Portugal
Russia 19:45 Greece

21 June 2004 - Group B
Croatia 19:45 England
Switzerland 19:45 France

22 June 2004 - Group C
Italy 19:45 Bulgaria
Denmark 19:45 Sweden

23 June 2004 - Group D
Netherlands 19:45 Latvia
Germany 19:45 Czech Republic
Cheerio mate; I've just posted previews for the opening matches for 12th June. Should be some ripper of a weekend!

Scrum
Team lineups later
Old 2004-06-11, 13:11   Link #50
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban
Let me correct your error, it's Pauleta.
Better known in English and German as Team-Killer (Euro 2000 :P)
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 11:24   Link #51
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
YES! EURO 2004 is just 30 minutes away!

Can't wait until Monday when Sweden gets to play!
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 11:49   Link #52
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
Better known in English and German as Team-Killer (Euro 2000 :P)
Actually he didn't play against Germany in 2000

Match is starting w00t!

I'll be rooting for Portugal, even though they're going to lose.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 11:56   Link #53
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
Actually he didn't play against Germany in 2000

Match is starting w00t!

I'll be rooting for Portugal, even though they're going to lose.
LOSE? LOSE?

*kicks Blaat really hard*

Next time you say that, and i will killl you. The only team we have to worry about is Spain (since in 30 games we had against them, they are only in front with 3 wins).

BTW: Loved the opening ceremony ^^

And yes, Pauleta did made the hattrick in Euro 2000 against Germany
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 12:15   Link #54
Blaat

At the moment I'm right :P

*sigh* I hate being right

It was Simoa Sibrosa(sp?) that did the hattrick against Germany, I know because I was in the stadium
Old 2004-06-12, 13:56   Link #55
Lefteris_D

Portugal vs Greece = 1 - 2

Yay for me
Old 2004-06-12, 14:25   Link #56
Blaat

Greece liiterly "pwned" Portugal and Portugal is out of the tournament.

Next match Spain - Russia.

I'll be rooting for Spain...and they probably going to win.
Old 2004-06-12, 14:34   Link #57
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Yep the truth is Portugal got pwned and suxorz to the maxorz in that one.

All of the Portugese players were passing to who knows where, giving away the ball.
They lack spirit and didn't dare to go in for the challenges or run for the ball(if you watch the slow motions, you can see their hesitations).
They stay in the same spots, unwilling to run to the spaces/gaps in defence.
The only Portugese players of any efficiency were Ronaldo & Deco.
The only Portugese players willing to play then are the two above and Figo (and maybe Ricardo too).

The Greeks though playing like a bunch of actors trying to get the Academy Awards, went in hard and determined for every ball.
They played as a team. The attack was properly supported. The defence covered every zone.
Though I despise play-actors, they do deserve this win.

Portugal better buck up and improve on their team performance if they wish to stay in the competition.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 15:50   Link #58
Joshua
2 much 2 watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
LOSE? LOSE?

*kicks Blaat really hard*

Next time you say that, and i will killl you. The only team we have to worry about is Spain (since in 30 games we had against them, they are only in front with 3 wins).

BTW: Loved the opening ceremony ^^

And yes, Pauleta did made the hattrick in Euro 2000 against Germany
What did you say? :P

omg, never expected that Greece would win from Portugal... There goes a few euro of mine... My whole poule is totally mixed up (Portugal & Spain both 7 points, Greece & Russia both 1 point...)

But yeah, Greeks rule :P
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 16:29   Link #59
kamij0

did i just heard silence when the first goal was scored ... oh man where is the defence !! oh yah .. the greeks got fewer chances in offence yet they still won
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 17:11   Link #60
Mcdonalds

although all the commentators and people on this board seemed to be saying how poorly portugal played, i thought it was more about better defending and the fact that greece hardly ever attacked once they had scored. Obviously they are going to lose the ball as the space for attacking in is reduced. In the first half, yea portugal were very poor, no movement etc but i thought they played a lot better in the second half, and except for that counter attack, greece didn't do ANYTHING up front and just defended with 10 (maybe 11) men behind the ball. It was all down to the last ball which portugal failed to deliver, rather than their general play. Ok, they didn't excite like Brazil might do, but then which other nation has produced displays like Brazil especially, when they have no space to run into the first place. Just an example is like watching Spain, when the Russians just defended, they didn't really have what i call many decent opportunities although they did play much better than portugal.
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer