AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Kai Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 121 39.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 104 33.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 55 17.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 4.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.63%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.33%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 0.98%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-29, 06:42   Link #121
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh, how did I not write anything on this series? It's only my favorite.

The first season of Higurashi was an extremely jumbled mess. I'll admit it was an interesting jumbled mess but the direction was quite off and the pacing was really erratic. Then again, that season had 6 chapters in it. So basically there was already part of Kai in the first season. As the mood of the story changes greatly from the first to second half, it just didn't really fit. And of course the art was terrible.

Despite all of this, the shock value and confusion was used pretty effectively. It managed to create a story that kept me watching. The complexity of the story left a lot of interesting details and plot threads to explore. And of course, the characters themselves played a huge role; you'd just really feel sorry for what's going on. Because you realize they are all genuinely good people that are being hurt from forces out of their control. So by the end of the series, I was rooting for them to get out of this mess. The impact of the turning point in first season's episode 25 was huge. It marked the ending of despair and a slim glimmer of hope that would start the long uphill battle for victory.That battle would not be without tons of more pain and sacrifice.

So even with the crappy direction, the story was simply too strong to mess up. I would give s1 a 8/10

Kai often gets a lot of flak for not being as suspenseful or as shocking as the first season. Indeed, it must have been misleading. Higurashi, by and far, was not a gore and violence show no matter how you slice it. In fact, even in season one, there aren't really that many extremely graphic scenes. Yes, they are shocking and effective but that's the point. Excessive use of violent scenes would make it less significant. People who expected that kind of shock value from Kai were basically looking for the wrong show. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting that kind of thing, but sometimes you simply can't expect a show to be what it isn't. Personally, if Kai were to duplicate the same thing as the first, I would have found that boring and formulaic as with many other shows that just repeat more of the same.

With that out of the way, Kai is far superior to Ni in terms of storytelling. No longer are we relying on strange gimmicks to confuse us or "oh shit" moments, but we are here to view the crew's struggle and to find out what is happening. And so piece by piece, the mysteries are finally revealed. So now we know that it's all a conspiracy and Takano is the culprit, we can have a happy ending with the cops taking Takano away... "I would have gotten away with it... if it weren't for you meddling kids"

Well, no. That is not enough. Despite their best efforts, they still end up losing one more time because Takano's willpower is just that strong. I find this actually kind of fresh. A lot of series will usually have our protagonists struggling, then they find the answer in the last 5 minutes of the climatic battle and we have an instant resolution. But not here. Just trusting your friends isn't enough. Knowing how to win isn't enough. You aren't winning just because your willpower is strong and you are the good guys. Takano wants to win just as bad. A lot of the stuff is out of the protagonists' control and thus the only thing they can do is take advantage of what is given to them.

Initially, I found Matsuribayashi-hen somewhat anticlimactic. It did seem kind of convenient at places and Takano's minions got insanely stupid, not to mention that they apparently got the Ewoks to help them. But by the end of Minagoroshi-hen, and with Hanyuu's decision to finally assume her role, victory did seem inevitable. It became a matter of not if, but how, and a diablos ex machina would have pretty much ruined anything. And since by this time we are supposed to be rooting for the protagonists, it did seem that all the miracles would occur with enough rolling of the dice. So Rika did cheat to win. But wouldn't you after all this? Everyone is using whatever at their disposal to get what they want. It's only fair that Rika and friends should too.

The note in the last episode about Old Maid was pretty interesting. After all, a lot of the series involved placing blame and that led to tragedy. Also, the constant struggle of "our" happiness vs "their" happiness. But are these things mutually exclusive? Must someone always win or lose or be the one that gets blamed? Because that type of binary thinking has led to many previous tragedies.

In the end I saw a pretty damned epic story that started from the depths of confusion and despair to enlightenment and hope. Where there is distrust (Onikakushi-hen), there will be forgiveness (Tsumihoroboshi-hen). Where there is ignorance (Watanagashi-hen), there will be truth (Meakashi-hen). Where there is isolation (Tatarigoroshi-hen), there will be unity (Minagoroshi-hen), and where there will be inaction (Himatsubushi-hen), there will be action (Matsuribayashi-hen) And ultimately that will be the key to finally escape the endless cycle of tragedy.

So yea, I rate this a 10.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-08-29 at 07:12.
Old 2009-08-29, 08:56   Link #122
klare

nice writing archon, i feel mostly similar

but i actually view Higurashi and -Kai as a complete one long series, no fun if u only watch one of them

-Kai does have better animations and everything looks smoother

but the most memorable is still the first chapter of Higurashi, i really feel the chilling on my back while watching it, the unpredictable Rena is really scary

for me -Kai is 9/10
Old 2009-08-29, 19:41   Link #123
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
but i actually view Higurashi and -Kai as a complete one long series, no fun if u only watch one of them
Yea, that is why I had to talk a bit about the first season, as I felt it would be incomplete to just talk about half the story.

Quote:
but the most memorable is still the first chapter of Higurashi, i really feel the chilling on my back while watching it, the unpredictable Rena is really scary
Yea, that was well done. One of the important things about any show is that they need to quickly draw in the viewer into the world of the show. That's something I did not feel in Umineko, but it's a bit too early to judge that.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-08-30, 03:03   Link #124
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

yeah but the orginal higurashi did not feel like that it was suposed to feel tragic not scary
Old 2009-08-30, 03:48   Link #125
Yami Sonozaki
Shion's follower xD

Send a message via MSN to Yami Sonozaki Send a message via Yahoo to Yami Sonozaki
Well the last episode of Onikakushi-hen was tragic in my opinion.
Old 2009-08-30, 12:14   Link #126
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I felt most of the stories were tragic. The deaths were senseless and you felt sorry for the characters as it was so preventable. But on the hand it wasn't stupid, because their options were extremely limited.

Well ok, Keiichi's actions in Watanagashi-hen were pretty dumb. -_-

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-09-02, 21:47   Link #127
Ever17
Welcome Deep Place

Higurashi Kai :3

I loved this season so much, and following it as the episodes came out made it even more worthwhile. I really liked how this season was done. The animation was a lot better than the first season, and it was very suspenseful right until the end. They way they portrayed Rika's struggle to beat her fate was so cool :3 and whenever she would reach a breakthrough I would find myself super excited XD because she was that much closer!

Though the first season really was full of the question arcs, it really did set the viewer up well for kai. One of my favorite parts of the higurashi series are how well all of the character's are done. You can't help but really appreciate how well all of the characters are done.

Spoiler for for those who haven't watched all of kai:

Overall, really well done. Though when it ended I was hoping for more eps, and even with rei out, I'm still sad to say that higurashi is over.

Rika nano desu ~
Old 2009-11-11, 01:32   Link #128
XGeneral2000

I was recommended this anime by a friend, and it was described to me as an epic psychokiller-loli-gorefest (since I liked Elfen Lied). So naturally, I was sketchy at first, since I like to watch shows with some substance, not just a lot of shock value. I'm glad I decided to go ahead and watch the show. It has a lot more depth than its reputation would have you know.

Spoiler for Everything:

Last edited by XGeneral2000; 2009-11-11 at 02:20.
Old 2009-11-19, 18:22   Link #129
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGeneral2000 View Post
I was recommended this anime by a friend, and it was described to me as an epic psychokiller-loli-gorefest (since I liked Elfen Lied). So naturally, I was sketchy at first, since I like to watch shows with some substance, not just a lot of shock value. I'm glad I decided to go ahead and watch the show. It has a lot more depth than its reputation would have you know.
Great! It's good that people know that the show actually has a plot instead of just WTFZ bl00d as many videos on youtube may suggest.

Quote:
That said, I still had my complaints. The deformed faces got a bit old after a while, and it diverted my attention; also, the voices didn't always match the face. Shion's ladder scene in Watanagashi/Meakashi-hen, for example, showed her with a WTF-batshit face, but a low, menacing voice, and I feel it would have been better to just show her hair + shadow over her eyes and the ladder trembling in her hands.
Ah yes, Deen sure loves those faces. I find those two particular stories to be the weakest in the anime for the reasons you listed. True, the wtf moments in these arcs had their impact but it was just an utter mess.

Quote:
In conclusion, "Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies."
lol. Best friendship lesson in anime ever? Oh I mean the show as a whole.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-11-27, 18:39   Link #130
TheComedian

Kai was pretty good.

The animation was leaps and bounds over the first season. They seemed to put a lot more effort into the character designs and making everything look crisp, making it look prettier in High definition and such. It sort of set the standard for how Umineko would look as an anime in the near future.

That being said, there were some points were background textures looked absolutely dreadful...

Spoiler for Bad animation sequences:

Spoiler for Last two arcs:

A common complaint I hear is that this season lacks all the Yandere rage that made the first one so memorable, but I honestly think that's a good thing. This one strives to be more story oriented. Also it should be kept in mind, there's only so many times I can witness the same 16 year old girls get killed over and over again before I get bored (As cynical as that sounds xD), and as such this season went for less for mindless violence and more of a degree of reasoning and tolerance between the characters.

Spoiler for Ending?:

Spoiler for Umineko:

Overall, this was an awesome series. I really hope they expand this series more in the future.
Old 2010-01-02, 01:31   Link #131
Goat-Kun

Spoiler for The Good:

Spoiler for The BAD:

Spoiler for The Sour Grapes:

Despite the negatives I have, I still give this series an overall 10/10.
Old 2010-01-20, 16:31   Link #132
Harrycombs

Over the MLK Jr weekend, I watched both seasons in their entirety, and like many people felt the first season was better.

I was disappointed that the suspense in Kai was entirely gone. How the series was going to end felt pretty clear by episode 5. Since the ending was so obvious, I felt there was very little emotional investment in the second season. The mystery became so clear, and the solution was so obvious, that in the last 5 or so episodes I found my self getting quite bored.

Nit picking, but I also disliked that there were rather important scenes after the credits. I didn't realize that until episode 20 or so.

At the very end, there were some terrible decisions. Specifically, having Satoshi be alive. I absolutely hated that. It made everything I respected about it vanish the moment they revealed that he was alive and recovering. By telling the viewer only small bits and pieces about him in the first season, but letting you know how much he cared about Satoko, I felt there was a lot of emotional involvement. Sometimes brief flashes of back story and leaving a lot of blanks is a lot more powerful than explaining absolutely everything. You already knew plenty about Satoshi because of Shion's arc in season 1. Having him alive in season 2 was entirely pointless.

Then there was the ending. Oh wow, the ending couldn't have been worse (Okay, maybe it could have...), the kids all setting up traps home alone style was completely ruined the established atmosphere of the series. It felt so light hearted in Season 2 that it felt like an entirely different show from season 1. The kids defeating the Yamainu, who all were trained agents with guns should not have been defeated by them. It probably would have been better if the kids just ran until the other group from Tokyo arrived to arrest the Yamainu, or perhaps Hanyuu could have done something to scare them.

The fact that Shion and Kasai pretended to get knocked out in a gunfight is just stupid. The even stupider thing, is that the Yamainu fell for it. How do you get knocked out in a gunfight without getting it by a bullet? Why were they not suspicious that they were unconscious yet not bleeding? This scene didn't even need to exist! Its part of what ruined the atmosphere.

On top of that, Akasaka taking out all of the Yamainu outside was ridiculous (no matter how much the guy trained in the past 5 years, he couldn't have been able to take on 5 people who are also trained at the same time), plus why didn't they have guns? They were in a remote area in the mountains, on a private estate, and they had silenced guns. There is no reason they couldn't have had their guns drawn. Its things like this that just ruin the mood.

Overall though, I really enjoyed the series, and I was satisfied with the answers in Kai, so I give it an 8/10. Also, I wasn't actually bothered by the animation in either series.

While I enjoyed season 2, I think the first season was much better as it was actually able to maintain its atmosphere.
Old 2010-01-22, 10:07   Link #133
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Actually the thing is that the Yamainu isnt agents trained for fighting at all the anime didnt tell this, they are basically an information gathering group. And Satokos traps where actually a lot more serious in the orginal, and adults do actually fall for things like the traps Satoko makes it isnt impossible at all, because a lot adults belive that kids are incompetent.
Old 2010-01-22, 17:46   Link #134
rosario+vampireluver

I absolutley loved Higurashi Kai. I would have to say that the story line (in my opinion) was much better than the first season. Sure, it didn't have as much violence, but I thought the story line was really good.

Spoiler for Higurashi no naku koro ni kai!~:

Either way I love EVERYTHING about Higurashi no naku koro ni / rei / kai!~ It is an absolutley amazing anime and manga!~ ✖

Last edited by rosario+vampireluver; 2010-01-22 at 17:56. Reason: grammar mistake
Old 2010-06-17, 01:32   Link #135
xavior686
Professor Insanity

I liked Kai because it was a welcomed answer arc to the confusing question arcs of S1. I also enjoyed Kai because of the updated animation/art direction.

Old 2010-08-07, 03:10   Link #136
evo dragoon

My second favourite anime of all time, it has simply the best writing iv'e ever seen in an anime, this comes simply by having such a twisty plot all make perfect sense in the end. I also enjoyed figuring out things before the characters, as well as just enjoying the ride at the time. The animation and voice acting were merely utilitarian, they did their job but nothing spectacular but didn't bother me really.
Overall i give it a 9.2, absolutely loved it.
Old 2010-08-26, 17:42   Link #137
alucard13mm

ah i misvoted, i thought this was for first season.. anyways i like season one better because it was the mystery and gore that was pretty awesome. it gives the sense of suspense and sometimes a bit creepy. when they are unraveling the whole mystery behind the syndrome, it was ok.
Old 2010-11-25, 11:30   Link #138
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I just finished marathoning the 2nd season. Rather than trying to write[type] 5 paragraphs of my thoughts that no one'll probably read, I'll just touch up on a little bit that I liked. I greatly enjoyed the 2nd season over the last, because of the defining 2 major arcs feeling like they were connected unlike the first season, were each arc felt more individualized.

I absolutely LOVED the cast in the first arc compared to the 2nd, especially Keiichi. He took charge in such a miraculous and powerful way, from trying to save Satoko, to convincing Rika to oppose fate, to talking back to Oryuu, all the way to his emotional death, he was by far the most amazing Keiichi in the entire series and I very highly enjoyed every moment of him in that arc. The rest of the cast was amazing in that arc too, it truly felt like they were all doing something. The 2nd[final] arc was kind of a disappointment in regards to the club; a bit more realistic in that they planned a strat to get the upper hand on the Yamainu, but NOWHERE near as cool as everyone taking their perspective weapons from their prev arcs(Keiichi's Satoshi bat, Rena's cleaver, Shion's taser) w/Mion using martial arts and kicking their ass, even if they got killed in the end. However, everyone lived, even Miyoko, so I guess that was a good thing. All in all, a very enjoyable end to this series.
Old 2010-12-07, 14:49   Link #139
MehLovesKawaii
Trap Specialist

I really wanted to say 10 but i hate the takano flashbacks!
Old 2010-12-11, 08:45   Link #140
chachaboru
Banned

i gave it a 10, hehe
because this anime really got me addicted!!
it has a very awesome story!!
at first i was so confused, wondering why are the char. acting like that??
by the end of the anime i finally understood!!hehe
and i love how they kill each other off!!
Closed Thread