AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-02-17, 03:00   Link #461
AnimeFan188

Pentagon’s Project ‘Avatar’: Same as the Movie, but With Robots Instead of Aliens

"Soldiers practically inhabiting the mechanical bodies of androids, who will take the
humans’ place on the battlefield. Or sophisticated tech that spots a powerful laser
ray, then stops it from obliterating its target.

If you’ve got Danger Room’s taste in movies, you’ve probably seen both ideas on
the big screen. Now Darpa, the Pentagon’s far-out research arm, wants to bring ‘em
into the real world.

In the agency’s $2.8 billion budget for 2013, unveiled on Monday, they’ve allotted
$7 million for a project titled “Avatar.” The project’s ultimate goal, not surprisingly,
sounds a lot like the plot of the same-named (but much more expensive) flick.

According the agency, “the Avatar program will develop interfaces and algorithms to
enable a soldier to effectively partner with a semi-autonomous bi-pedal machine
and allow it to act as the soldier’s surrogate.”"

See:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/02/darpa-sci-fi/

Though using robo-surrogates seems a bit more like *this* movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986263/

Note:

It looks like the Japanese are already ahead in this type of technology:

"A Japanese-developed robot that mimics the movements of its human controller
is bringing the Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar" one step closer to reality."

See:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Ja...robot_999.html

Last edited by AnimeFan188; 2012-02-17 at 12:20.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 07:40   Link #462
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well this is.......disturbing.

Holy crap, it’s The Matrix for chickens
Old 2012-02-17, 19:54   Link #463
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Well this is.......disturbing.

Holy crap, it’s The Matrix for chickens
If such thing as hell existed, our entire damned race is headed straight for it.

Let's uh... wait for those lab-grown cloned meat instead. That's a lot more humane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Combine this research with the Petman project, also funded by the US government, and we may have our own remote controlled Terminators a LOT sooner than we realized.
Old 2012-02-17, 20:00   Link #464
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

You do not get enough meat if they don't work those legs, work that chest.
Old 2012-02-18, 00:00   Link #465
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Meet the youngest person on Earth to achieve nuclear fusion
Old 2012-02-18, 00:13   Link #466
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe one of these kids will invent a FTL drive.
Old 2012-02-18, 05:46   Link #467
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

He isn't the first actually. What about David Hahn?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 06:05   Link #468
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Its not about being the first, its about being the youngest. The article said that he was directly inspired by David Hahn through the book Radioactive Boy Scout.

The most important difference between the two of them is that he was given all the right support while Hahn didn't.

Its very important to let children learn what they want to, support them the right way. Michio Kaku said that all children are born scientists, everyone of us were born curious and seek knowledge. But the education system(in the USA) is killing all the curiosity of the children, memorising things and forcing upon students with stress and exams is not the way to truly educate people.

Michio Kaku said the worst moment of his life was when his own daughter asked him why would anyone ever want to be a scientist, after her geography paper. The exam required geography students to memorise all sorts of rocks and minerals flatly, and completely missed the point of actual geography, to study the tectonic plate movements and formations of rock. Question and finding answers is science, but not memorising things and writing down in exams.

Education systems need to cater more to what the children is interested instead of forcing them down paths incorrectly. Lots of child prodigies out there, be it science, maths or arts were successful because they had great support for their interests.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 06:14   Link #469
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Its not about being the first, its about being the youngest. The article said that he was directly inspired by David Hahn through the book Radioactive Boy Scout.

The most important difference between the two of them is that he was given all the right support while Hahn didn't.

Its very important to let children learn what they want to, support them the right way. Michio Kaku said that all children are born scientists, everyone of us were born curious and seek knowledge. But the education system(in the USA) is killing all the curiosity of the children, memorising things and forcing upon students with stress and exams is not the way to truly educate people.

Michio Kaku said the worst moment of his life was when his own daughter asked him why would anyone ever want to be a scientist, after her geography paper. The exam required geography students to memorise all sorts of rocks and minerals flatly, and completely missed the point of actual geography, to study the tectonic plate movements and formations of rock. Question and finding answers is science, but not memorising things and writing down in exams.

Education systems need to cater more to what the children is interested instead of forcing them down paths incorrectly. Lots of child prodigies out there, be it science, maths or arts were successful because they had great support for their interests.
Our Ministers of Education disagrees with you. They believes that if we don't force knowledge into children, they would never become the child prodigies they would be because they would be too lazy to seek it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-18, 11:08   Link #470
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Our Ministers of Education disagrees with you. They believes that if we don't force knowledge into children, they would never become the child prodigies they would be because they would be too lazy to seek it.
Considering that everyone is different, that's bound to be true for some children. Perhaps it even applies to most children - who knows? The trouble is that inspiration is a hard thing to come by and to foster. On one hand, it's very easy to lose inspiration if you feel that what you're doing is relatively mindless memorization drivel; on the other hand, once you've had that basic knowledge forced into you, perhaps you can appreciate the higher-level materials more. Nobody enjoys practicing the piano day after day, repeating the same basic exercises and songs, but once you've gained a certain level of mastery, the fun begins.

I've seen a number of stories about this ("child prodigy does X" or "child prodigy discovers X in research lab"), and having worked with a number of high schoolers doing things like internship projects in a lab, I tend to be a bit skeptical. It's not that the students aren't intelligent, but their base knowledge isn't built up enough to really engage in the research. Their teachers write back to us with glowing praise after seeing a research presentation from them and after reading their reports (and no doubt they're thought of as geniuses), when we were the ones supplying the data, preparing the figures, and occasionally going so far as to write certain things out for them. The students, meanwhile, were either messing around on their phones/computers, or following us around with a somewhat bored expression. I'd generally try to ask them questions about the various steps that we were going through, to at least keep them thinking and engaged...

I don't know whether that's the case with this guy. The world seems to desperately cling to the idea of child prodigies, hoping that one genius will come around to save us all and elevate society. Regardless, the benefit of these articles is that hopefully younger children would read it and be inspired. If it makes even a few kids think to themselves that they can engage in science here and now (which they can), and that they don't have to wait until they're in their late 20's to finish school and really get into it, then it's very beneficial.
Old 2012-02-18, 11:31   Link #471
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I don't know whether that's the case with this guy. The world seems to desperately cling to the idea of child prodigies, hoping that one genius will come around to save us all and elevate society. Regardless, the benefit of these articles is that hopefully younger children would read it and be inspired. If it makes even a few kids think to themselves that they can engage in science here and now (which they can), and that they don't have to wait until they're in their late 20's to finish school and really get into it, then it's very beneficial.
"Children are the future."
Is a pretty common mantra, so its not surprising that even the smallest of things (not calling this small) would get catchy headlines, hyperboles, and be given a life of its own by media and excited people. (Personally, I don't think it matters how old you are and that the spark of curiosity can come at all different times for people, and while age may to some be a crippling limitation for others it carries a rich background of experience. Unfortunately, the media and/or people will rarely pay attention to or arrest that 30 odd year old man who follows his curiosity towards much the same thing...)

I don't know how much an article will do to motivate a kid, and from personal experience I think it falls more on the people you meet and what they tell/show you from their own experience. Words tend to carry more force when presented with emotion than when typed up in a day and age when kids barely have the attention span to read a post as long as this one.
Old 2012-02-18, 17:58   Link #472
AnimeFan188

Google Busted With Hand in Safari-Browser Cookie Jar

"Google intentionally circumvented the default privacy settings of Apple’s Safari
browser, using a backdoor to set cookies on browsers set to reject them, in the
latest privacy debacle for the search and advertising giant."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...rowser-cookie/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 19:05   Link #473
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Considering that everyone is different, that's bound to be true for some children. Perhaps it even applies to most children - who knows? The trouble is that inspiration is a hard thing to come by and to foster. On one hand, it's very easy to lose inspiration if you feel that what you're doing is relatively mindless memorization drivel; on the other hand, once you've had that basic knowledge forced into you, perhaps you can appreciate the higher-level materials more. Nobody enjoys practicing the piano day after day, repeating the same basic exercises and songs, but once you've gained a certain level of mastery, the fun begins.

I've seen a number of stories about this ("child prodigy does X" or "child prodigy discovers X in research lab"), and having worked with a number of high schoolers doing things like internship projects in a lab, I tend to be a bit skeptical. It's not that the students aren't intelligent, but their base knowledge isn't built up enough to really engage in the research. Their teachers write back to us with glowing praise after seeing a research presentation from them and after reading their reports (and no doubt they're thought of as geniuses), when we were the ones supplying the data, preparing the figures, and occasionally going so far as to write certain things out for them. The students, meanwhile, were either messing around on their phones/computers, or following us around with a somewhat bored expression. I'd generally try to ask them questions about the various steps that we were going through, to at least keep them thinking and engaged...

I hate to agree with you on that - however I see that the cause of it is that we are constantly bombarded by articles and information everyday that we start not to be bothered with them.

Maybe gassing dyslexic or reading-handicapped children who are diagnosed at birth would allow the more comprehension-capable to be inspired, rather than going through the time and money consuming process of " academic meritocracy" to "socially darwinise" for prodigies. *sarcastic*

Old 2012-02-18, 22:32   Link #474
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's an entertaining bit of informing science about scale

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Definitely safe for work unless your boss is a Flat Earther.
Old 2012-02-19, 01:53   Link #475
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Combine this research with the Petman project, also funded by the US government, and we may have our own remote controlled Terminators a LOT sooner than we realized.
Screw that, bring me my Tactical Surface Fighters!

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 05:04   Link #476
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Heresy! The Earth isn't flat or round! It is egg-shaped! If you sail towards the moon you take longer to reach the opposite side of the Eart - *gets egged*

Old 2012-02-19, 07:14   Link #477
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

WTH japanese spidercrab?
Now I'm scared.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 05:21   Link #478
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
If such thing as hell existed, our entire damned race is headed straight for it.

Let's uh... wait for those lab-grown cloned meat instead. That's a lot more humane.
Looks like it become a reality.

Lab-grown meat is first step to artificial hamburger
Old 2012-02-20, 14:43   Link #479
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Quote:
Dr Steele, who is also a molecular biologist, said he was also concerned that unhealthily high levels of antibiotics and antifungal chemicals would be needed to stop the synthetic meat from rotting.
Literally speaking, either you die young, or you die looking young.

Old 2012-02-21, 12:19   Link #480
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I know this is more science related, instead of technology, but I think it's worth posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnbc
Thirty thousand years after their burial on the Siberian tundra, immature fruits have been cultivated into small, weedy plants — the oldest successful regeneration of a living plant from ancient tissue.

The plants, Silene stenophylla, grew and produced lacy white flowers. When fertilized, the ancient plants fruited and produced viable seeds of their own.

"This is very exciting," said Jane Shen-Miller, a University of California, Los Angeles biologist who was not involved in the study. "These tissues are viable after, say, 30,000 years. That is very, very interesting."
Shades of Jurassic Park, anyone?

Endless "Viable" Soul