Old 2014-10-23, 22:45   Link #34981
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I'm actually more worried at the argument they put up to prosecute such case:

You can argue this against pretty much everything. Would Skyrim make gamers think that it's acceptable to chop people head with an axe while screaming "Fus roh dah"? How about the readers of Oreimo think it's more acceptable to engage in incest acts? Not to mention Breaking Bad audiences potentially commit in illegal drug dealing?

It started to get down to Minority Report route if people are punished for the potential of their crime. Not what they committed
It is the fact that you can use it so broadly to abuse power and yet convince people that it is morally right to do it that makes it so dangerous. Even if you give them logical arguments like that, they'll immediately strawman you that you support abusing children.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-10-24, 01:40   Link #34982
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I like that fact that his last name is Vickers.

Endless "Fitting" Soul
I think playing Mr. Vickers up as some sort of uber badass is doing him a disservice. He did his duty, but if you look at the footage of him when he was applauded in the House of Commons he looked rather disturbed.
Old 2014-10-24, 03:54   Link #34983
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
http://news.asiaone.com/news/asia/us...ere-real-women

A most likely reason why the marine killed the transgendered woman.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2014-10-24, 09:27   Link #34984
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Dealing with this kind of situation isn't really the norm for him, this is a guy who in his RCMP career responded to a protest by sending plainclothes officers with coffee and donuts to talk to the protestors and according to his brother never actually had use his gun in 29 years of service:
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...app=noRedirect

~snip~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I think playing Mr. Vickers up as some sort of uber badass is doing him a disservice. He did his duty, but if you look at the footage of him when he was applauded in the House of Commons he looked rather disturbed.
Playing Mr. Vickers up to be a "badass" wasn't my intention. Associating his family name with the British engineering company Vickers (makers of the famous Maxim machine gun and various other weapons) was my intention. I hope I made things clear.

Endless "No nickname for this post" Soul
Old 2014-10-24, 23:01   Link #34985
Darthtabby

It might not have been your intention, but the internet meme/humor machine has been playing the guy up, and under the circumstances I kind of wish it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The more recent news articles are saying the guard who spotted the shooter at the entrance was unarmed and was actually shot in the foot trying to disarm the guy. In that case, the officers who confronted and killed him at the back of the building were probably the first armed response.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otta...ideo-1.2810673
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otta...ents-1.2810918
The reporter who took the video indicated in an interview that the round of gunfire heard in his video was actually the second round and that the first round had taken place in a rotunda area just past the entrance.
Old 2014-10-25, 00:40   Link #34986
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
http://news.asiaone.com/news/asia/us...ere-real-women

A most likely reason why the marine killed the transgendered woman.

Well...yeah? This happens a lot with trans women. When a guy gets interested in them, they usually (before consenting for sex and before undressing) divulge to them the fact that they are a MtF trans woman. They aren't trying to trick them or deceive them. They run it by them to see if they are still interested in them, and for trans women, this is nerve-wracking, because some guys might like that, some guys might not and reject them, and why it is scary is because sometimes, some guys flip out and become violent, even sometimes killing the trans woman.

And it is bullshit. There is no need for it. I have no sympathy for the soldier. So the fact she is a trans woman made him freak out? Okay. So he kills her? Bullshit and unjustifiable. If your reaction to a trans woman is that, you just have to have insecurities about your sexuality. Which is sad in itself. So much of the world believes that being gay or bi or lesbian or trans is bad, so when people have something rock the boat of their sense of sexuality, they completely freak out, and then sometimes become violent or murderous. Both Homosexuality and LGBT individuals are so vilified by so many, that for some people, if they end up questioning their sexuality at some points, they just freak out and lose their shit. It's sad.
Old 2014-10-25, 07:55   Link #34987
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

As sad as that sounds, that's the thing NCIS and the Philippine National Police are running on.

Not sure if Pemberton has said anything ever since he's detained in Camp Aguinaldo.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2014-10-25, 20:42   Link #34988
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Well...yeah? This happens a lot with trans women. When a guy gets interested in them, they usually (before consenting for sex and before undressing) divulge to them the fact that they are a MtF trans woman. They aren't trying to trick them or deceive them. They run it by them to see if they are still interested in them, and for trans women, this is nerve-wracking, because some guys might like that, some guys might not and reject them, and why it is scary is because sometimes, some guys flip out and become violent, even sometimes killing the trans woman.

And it is bullshit. There is no need for it. I have no sympathy for the soldier. So the fact she is a trans woman made him freak out? Okay. So he kills her? Bullshit and unjustifiable. If your reaction to a trans woman is that, you just have to have insecurities about your sexuality. Which is sad in itself. So much of the world believes that being gay or bi or lesbian or trans is bad, so when people have something rock the boat of their sense of sexuality, they completely freak out, and then sometimes become violent or murderous. Both Homosexuality and LGBT individuals are so vilified by so many, that for some people, if they end up questioning their sexuality at some points, they just freak out and lose their shit. It's sad.
As bad as the crime sounds, are you declaring the person to be guilty before the trial? While it does make a good story, the only reason this made front page news is because the guy is a visiting military personal. He's now locked up in some camp somewhere because of protests. What about bail?
If it was a local or some privileged person who did it, would there be the same reaction?
Old 2014-10-26, 03:57   Link #34989
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Last U.S. Marines, British combat forces end Afghan operations, prepare withdrawal

Sorry Kyp/Xefi, let's hope you guys didn't go in there for nothing.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-10-26, 07:11   Link #34990
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Last U.S. Marines, British combat forces end Afghan operations, prepare withdrawal

Sorry Kyp/Xefi, let's hope you guys didn't go in there for nothing.
Well at least now we learned that elections doesn't magically make a country stable.

We need to find a way to build a reliable and trusted legal system first. A pity there is no fast way of doing this other than outright military invasion and government subjugation. And that option is obviously off the table unless your name is Vladimir Putin.
Old 2014-10-26, 08:21   Link #34991
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well at least now we learned that elections doesn't magically make a country stable.

We need to find a way to build a reliable and trusted legal system first. A pity there is no fast way of doing this other than outright military invasion and government subjugation. And that option is obviously off the table unless your name is Vladimir Putin.
The only was possible to pass directly from despotism to democracy is to live in a Civilization game. And the military only option isn't as effective as you may think.
Old 2014-10-26, 08:42   Link #34992
JokerD

Quote:

Err... soviet russia already tried that.
Anyway, politics can help only when it unites rather then divides. If the citizen vote according to what race or tribe they are from, there cannot be unity since the elected person will only work for that race/tribe in the constituency.
Old 2014-10-26, 11:15   Link #34993
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
As bad as the crime sounds, are you declaring the person to be guilty before the trial? While it does make a good story, the only reason this made front page news is because the guy is a visiting military personal. He's now locked up in some camp somewhere because of protests. What about bail?
If it was a local or some privileged person who did it, would there be the same reaction?
You ain't allowed bail in some countries if you are charged of murder. Canada and US' more flexible but denial of bail can still happen.

As for the "overreaction", some people just tend to show their "xenophobic" side when shit happens that involve a foreigner.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2014-10-26 at 11:39.
Old 2014-10-26, 11:30   Link #34994
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
You ain't allowed bail in some countries if you are suspected of murder. Canada and US' more flexible but denial of bail can still happen.
The fact than they might fear than he could try to get out of the country (and out of reach of the local law) is a likely reason not to allow bail.
Old 2014-10-26, 22:13   Link #34995
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post

Well, I did go off on the presumption of him being guilty. Good point about how it is possible he is not guilty.

I haven't read many details on this incident. From what I read, it looks like this guy is guilty. However, yes, there has to be a trial, and also, maybe this is an instance where the media paints someone as guilty, inappropriately having a bias rather than forgoing it?

For any of you who know more about this incident, does it look like this guy is guilty, or is there some significant grounds for doubt? Either way, yes, it is important he has a trial.
Old 2014-10-27, 04:14   Link #34996
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

He's the last person to meet up with the woman before she got killed after he went with her inside a motel. So yeah, PNP and NCIS are running this lead.

Old 2014-10-27, 07:36   Link #34997
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:

Well, they started unstably, so now everything is also the same.

And do you think that legal system is enough? I'm not saying like Confucius, but it's important to build a legal system that directly meddle with education.
Old 2014-10-27, 07:51   Link #34998
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Well, they started unstably, so now everything is also the same.

And do you think that legal system is enough? I'm not saying like Confucius, but it's important to build a legal system that directly meddle with education.
Well obviously having a legal system isn't the only thing you need. But a trusted legal system is needed in order to set a solid foundation for everything else; from elections to constitutions to secure commerce. Without a legal system, elections just won't be taken seriously. And elected leaders would have either no power or go crazy declaring himself emperor.

People need to trust the courts enough to sort things out peacefully, or we end up with Thailand's constant military coups despite having elections.
Amusing that the United States constantly have fringe elements demanding rebellious uprisings, yet it never went anywhere. While Thailand go into civil war at a drop of a hat. As I say, I believe the difference is the level of trust in the Courts.
Old 2014-10-27, 11:11   Link #34999
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I'll just make less then': Actor Chow Yun-fat responds to alleged PRC ban for supporting HK protests

He certainly has as big balls as he had shown in his characters on screen. He is certainly taking a huge gamble here.

Indeed he is the God of Gamblers.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-10-27, 14:38   Link #35000
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Badass 'til the very end and he is the definition of a large ham!

Nevertheless, it's nice to see Chow Yun-Fat always on the side of his homeland unlike *cough* Jackie Chan. Based on that article, I'm glad to see that Chow's old friends Tony Leung and Andy Lau also voiced support for the protesters.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international