AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-02-22, 10:36   Link #1821
Joned
Banned

Evangelion is pretty good stuff...it has great fights, outstanding cybernetics and kickass character development ...BUT...at the end is always the same gloom of obtuse suicide/god crap that nobody understands
So my bet is that movie 4 will be very obscure, heavy, tenacious, vicious, evil, depressing, shinji masturbations (eww)...
Call it weird i call it "The End of rebuild of Evangelion"
Joned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 14:00   Link #1822
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Then you must've missed the news flash: GAINAX and Anno have already announced that the 4th movie would have a completely different ending - thanks to the truckload of deviations thrown in by the 2nd movie (namely, the failed attempt to have Unit 01 undergo a form of 'apotheosis' - in its original meaning).

The Rebuild project has also been set up with the idea of making the series more accessible to the general audience - and that meant shearing off many of the more subtle - and mind-twisting - parts of the anime (the psychological underlinings, the twisted relationships and pasts each character has, etc). While the new tangent is no guarantee for a happy end, it also doesn't mean we're primed for another planetwide goo-fest and tribute to teenage angst. You just have to observe Shinji's resolve during the fight against Zeruel to see that the odds have changed considerably. There's a chance that Anno will go for the 'let's kick Shinji in his shrinking/almost-nonexistent gonads over and over' route that has plagued the remaining ten eps of the TV series, but the guy's no longer leeching off his clinical depression. He could've cooked something completely different for the sake of making the Rebuild series an entity of its own, not solely identified by souped-up CGIs and better production.

He might not want to be reacquainted with death threats mailed by disgruntled fans, too.
Old 2010-02-25, 22:28   Link #1823
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Not to mention Anno was a man pulling himself out of a deep depression with a lot of issues when he made Eva. Now he's in a lot better shape emontionally, and is happily married amongst other things. That might make a big difference.
Old 2010-02-26, 01:57   Link #1824
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativedark View Post
Not to mention Anno was a man pulling himself out of a deep depression with a lot of issues when he made Eva. Now he's in a lot better shape emontionally, and is happily married amongst other things. That might make a big difference.
How you could be happily married to someone like Moyoco Anno, however, still amazes me.

That woman's gotta be nuts (see all her female characters in her mangas)
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 12:28   Link #1825
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Then you must've missed the news flash: GAINAX and Anno have already announced that the 4th movie would have a completely different ending - thanks to the truckload of deviations thrown in by the 2nd movie (namely, the failed attempt to have Unit 01 undergo a form of 'apotheosis' - in its original meaning).
It's Gainax. Expect the unexpected. Even though I have no doubt the ending will be entirely different from that of the first go-around, it's still entirely possible it'll be dark and depressing in a fully different way.

As for the death threats, as long as it makes them publicity and money, I doubt fanhate, which is all sound and fury and nothingness, will bother them that much.

Then again, it's also fully possible the end will be all happiness and sunshine, perhaps to such an extent that it'll be a Take That to those claiming for a happy end. But my bet would be a bittersweet ending. Still very extravagant, even if easier to understand.

Quote:
How you could be happily married to someone like Moyoco Anno, however, still amazes me.

That woman's gotta be nuts (see all her female characters in her mangas)
Well, they say two wrongs put together make a right.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 08:14   Link #1826
Sparvid
*hic*

Hmm, maybe I should get the 1.11 Blu-ray.

And a Blu-ray player...
Old 2010-03-09, 22:32   Link #1827
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
Hmm, maybe I should get the 1.11 Blu-ray.

And a Blu-ray player...
Just get a PS3 lol.
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 15:46   Link #1828
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
It's Gainax. Expect the unexpected. Even though I have no doubt the ending will be entirely different from that of the first go-around, it's still entirely possible it'll be dark and depressing in a fully different way.

As for the death threats, as long as it makes them publicity and money, I doubt fanhate, which is all sound and fury and nothingness, will bother them that much.
Well...some rabid fans did vandalize the Gainax office after the TV series...must've cost them a pretty penny to clean off all the graffiti.

But then, they probably made all that money back (and more) on Rei and Asuka body pillows and such, so perhaps it does add up to "sound and fury and nothingness."

I'm just glad no one's hit Anno with a pie.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 05:14   Link #1829
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
The problem is , since the Rebuild tries to be normal...the characters is not as memorable as the series, LOL.
Old 2010-03-14, 21:38   Link #1830
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Well, about two months to go for the BluRay release of Rebuild 2.0. I'm a little annoyed though since it's not clear if it's the 2.22 revision I've heard of in news.
Old 2010-03-14, 21:51   Link #1831
Nosauz

So what is considered canon? The predecessor or the current iteration. I thoroughly enjoyed eva the first go around, and actually misaki's character was by far one of the deepest secondary characters that has ever been written and her relationship with ritsuko and kaji was something interesting. I guess I'm one of those wierd people who wants to know what is canon in anno's eyes than just taking it solely as an experience.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 22:07   Link #1832
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I suspect it is up to audience to decide which is canon. EVA is a journey, not just a series or movies.
Old 2010-03-14, 22:21   Link #1833
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Which is canon? While I'd like to echo Stormy's comment, I'd also like to point out the fact that it's likely that BOTH the first series/EoE and the Rebuild timelines are canon, if you subscribe to the theory that Rebuild comes several centuries after EoE.

Kaworu is NOT helping things I tell you, since he's mirroring his counterpart in the SRW Games (who essentially moved through one alternate reality to another while retaining his memories of all the worlds he lived through). "So it's the Third (child) again?" "This time I'll keep my promise to make you happy." REALLY Kaworu.
Old 2010-03-14, 22:28   Link #1834
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Which is canon? While I'd like to echo Stormy's comment, I'd also like to point out the fact that it's likely that BOTH the first series/EoE and the Rebuild timelines are canon, if you subscribe to the theory that Rebuild comes several centuries after EoE.

Kaworu is NOT helping things I tell you, since he's mirroring his counterpart in the SRW Games (who essentially moved through one alternate reality to another while retaining his memories of all the worlds he lived through). "So it's the Third (child) again?" "This time I'll keep my promise to make you happy." REALLY Kaworu.
Meh it's like saying Rowling rewrote harry potter, reusing some ideas and tossing others, there is naturally an instinct to search for a "truth" it's natural for humans beings to want some thing to reference to. The journey may be entertaining but canon is important to fans. The idea theres no framework to look at a certain series, games do this especially eroge, there is a true end compared to the other ends that allows you to give closure to a series and the world the characters that live in have a point of reference to since their personalities are relatively maintained through the multiple series and iterations.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-15, 01:36   Link #1835
Peterbigeyes

omg I can't wait!
Peterbigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-15, 03:15   Link #1836
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
*snips*
I guess you missed the part where I mentioned the unified timeline.

I think some people would prefer to think of the EVA mythos as possessing a sort of tree structure, with the TV Series and the EoE/Death and Rebirth movies as the roots and the main 'trunk' of the tree. Kind of hard to explain without visuals though....

Not perfect by ANY means, but somewhat helpful in determining what could be the 'main' Canon of EVA. At this point consider the line from the start of the TV series to the one that goes to End of Evangelion as 'Primary' canon.

The sidestory timelines (2nd Impression, Steel Girlfriend) branch out from the TV timeline before rejoining it at the end of the TV series. The Raising game timeline is pretty much a mishmash of the TV series and Steel Girlfriend stories, and hilariously shares some similarity to Angelic Days as well.

The place of the Rebuild movies in the chart is just based on my theory of course.

Obviously I didn't include the Record of the Angel War AU here.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2010-03-15 at 03:50.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 16:49   Link #1837
RisArk

Did someone seriously try to Zelda the Evangelions?
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 01:02   Link #1838
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Well, someone did ask about what could be considered 'canon' for EVA. The chart just helped clarify which one is considered as such by the majority of the fandom.

So, Major Canon = TV Series + Death and Rebirth/EoE. Rebuild, depending on whether or not connects with the old series, is heading in this direction.

Everything else could be considered Minor Canon. Fun for filling in the blanks.
Old 2010-03-29, 16:53   Link #1839
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Well, someone did ask about what could be considered 'canon' for EVA. The chart just helped clarify which one is considered as such by the majority of the fandom.

So, Major Canon = TV Series + Death and Rebirth/EoE. Rebuild, depending on whether or not connects with the old series, is heading in this direction.

Everything else could be considered Minor Canon. Fun for filling in the blanks.
Anyone trying to find "canon" in Evangelion is, I think, heading for misery and confusion.

People shouldn't worry about stuff like that.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 00:51   Link #1840
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Wow, I just watched the Eva 2.0 movie. That movie is soooo fing cool.

The animation is amazing, the pacing was really good. Oh and the soundtrack was just top notch. During the scene when 01 is fighting 03 and Shinji refuses to fight so they switch to the dummy plug they played at really great song.

If only I could have seen this movie in the theater. That would make my year. Eva 2.0 is so refreshing compared to all the moe slice of life anime that gets all the attention lately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that the Eva series was suppose to be alot of different possibilities or that time keeps repeating itself. Isn't that why when you speak of canon you really need to say which iteration you are talking about?
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake