AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-09-21, 23:18   Link #1
Ridwan

Shokoku no Altair

Spoiler for Synopsis:

For those who have read "Nishi no Yoki Majo", the atmosphere delivered by this manga is quite similar. Only that it's basically shounen, no magic so far, and draws a lot from Ottoman references, the last bit which adds an automatic plus in my book (In addition to Ottoman, it also contains general mediterranean references to lesser extent.)
The plot isn't that special, but people who are into political intricacies (especially those sadistic enough to enjoy watching a cute shota MC being tossed around by them ) will likely enjoy this series.
Old 2012-10-28, 21:14   Link #2
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

With 27 out, it's revival time!

~

I find it amusing that our pretty boy hero Mahmut has such a "reputation" among the peoples in this world. He had a busy, but not exactly the most successful career -- a demoted military leader, a diplomat and witness to the fall of Byzantium, an agent for his "rival's" spy network, and now a convenient scapegoat leader for an unlikely counterrevolution. All the time he has to react against constant twists from the plot, never really getting to do his own thing. Yet the way everyone treats him it's almost as if they expect him to be a serious threat or a valuable potential ally, his nation's favorite son and someone destined someday to become one of its great leaders. Or something. There are even plays of his "heroic deeds" already!

As for this chapter, the plot thickens -- though it has never really gone the other way anyway. Going by the record of what happens so far (everyone and their spy networks know about Mahmut Bey's involvement before Mahmut Bey knows about Mahmut Bey's involvement) I think the rebellious sultans know exactly what to expect from the wedding.

Epic masks, by the way.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 07:13   Link #3
Arczyx
None. ない. Nihil.

No one discussing this? It's really good, one of the most political manga I've ever seen. Mahmut is getting more and more awesome every chapter, with the plot thickening.

Although it's a pity there is no main heroine (not counting Mahmut in a drag). Well, it's probably because the presence of a heroine would ruin the overall feeling of the story, as well as diverting the plot focus from politics. Nevertheless, I still want a main heroine. All the major female characters are very interesting though.

And trying to answer a question from long time ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I find it amusing that our pretty boy hero Mahmut has such a "reputation" among the peoples in this world. He had a busy, but not exactly the most successful career -- a demoted military leader, a diplomat and witness to the fall of Byzantium, an agent for his "rival's" spy network, and now a convenient scapegoat leader for an unlikely counterrevolution. All the time he has to react against constant twists from the plot, never really getting to do his own thing. Yet the way everyone treats him it's almost as if they expect him to be a serious threat or a valuable potential ally, his nation's favorite son and someone destined someday to become one of its great leaders. Or something. There are even plays of his "heroic deeds" already!
Perhaps it's because he was very young when he was appointed as a pasha, meaning he is a genius of some sort. A young genius as a pasha (and then get demoted immediately)? The public will surely love that, with the other officials/rulers getting cautious of this rising star.

Or maybe the official/ruler in SnA world is just different with those in typical shounen manga, they actually treat others respectfully regardless of age and reputation (after all, it wouldn't hurt).

Anyway, this series definitely needs more love.
Old 2013-08-06, 09:01   Link #4
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arczyx View Post
No one discussing this? It's really good, one of the most political manga I've ever seen. Mahmut is getting more and more awesome every chapter, with the plot thickening.
Actually, I was going to make topic on this manga myself after marathoning it yesterday. That said, I whole-heartily agree. Definitely one of the more refreshing mangas I've read. Great art (though sometimes hard to follow) and pacing too. Not sure how historically accurate it is, but frankly I don't mind it embellished things.

Quote:
Although it's a pity there is no main heroine (not counting Mahmut in a drag). Well, it's probably because the presence of a heroine would ruin the overall feeling of the story, as well as diverting the plot focus from politics. Nevertheless, I still want a main heroine. All the major female characters are very interesting though.
Did you forget Nikki? It looks like she has abadoned the merchant city-state and permanently, become part Mahmut's crew.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 20:49   Link #5
Arczyx
None. ない. Nihil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Actually, I was going to make topic on this manga myself after marathoning it yesterday. That said, I whole-heartily agree. Definitely one of the more refreshing mangas I've read. Great art (though sometimes hard to follow) and pacing too. Not sure how historically accurate it is, but frankly I don't mind it embellished things.
It's not really historical as far as I know, the author just took some inspirations from various countries in the past, much like Magi if I may say. But yes, it's nonetheless great.

Quote:
Did you forget Nikki? It looks like she has abadoned the merchant city-state and permanently, become part Mahmut's crew.
I'm still kinda convinced that Nikki will just be a 'passing heroine' like the dancing girl and the princess. At least for now. I mean, there wouldn't be a place for her when the war actually erupted, right?

That aside, I'm quite surprised the series is in fact really a shounen (in the sense that it uses furigana) considering the number of family-killing and the deep politics theme.
Old 2013-08-08, 22:15   Link #6
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arczyx View Post
I'm still kinda convinced that Nikki will just be a 'passing heroine' like the dancing girl and the princess. At least for now. I mean, there wouldn't be a place for her when the war actually erupted, right?

That aside, I'm quite surprised the series is in fact really a shounen (in the sense that it uses furigana) considering the number of family-killing and the deep politics theme.
Even in war economic know-how is still important especially in Mahmut's new position, plus she can fight if needed. Besides I can't help but feel like those 3 merchant leaders will find out about her dealings with Mahmut's soon.
Old 2014-01-02, 05:20   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

*Necromancy, Mk. II*

Sense-scans catched up! Oh yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arczyx
Or maybe the official/ruler in SnA world is just different with those in typical shounen manga, they actually treat others respectfully regardless of age and reputation (after all, it wouldn't hurt).
More or less, this manga does treat diplomacy and intrigue with much more seriousness than the typical RAWR FIGHT THE POWAA shounen manga with evil villainous officials and their evil laughs.

But there were a lot more than just diplomatic manners involved in Mahmut's early adventures, was what I felt so long ago. After his demotion to Bey (admittedly, another piece of good dramatic theatre), Phoenicia recognized him as a guest of honor; the Doge of Venedig personally sicc'd a spy on him; and the Empire -- though understandable given the altercation in the series' opening arc -- ruthlessly dogged him, all the while he was just "visiting the world" as, openly, an out-of-favor noble. Surely foreign spies all across Centro and beyond must have made a habit of landing port in Venedig, so the special treatment meant quite a lot.

Of course, the Four Stratocracies arc and the Argyros arc were demonstrations of why he really deserves his reputation after all. The young nestling is growing nicely into a fearsome eagle.

Quote:
Even in war economic know-how is still important especially in Mahmut's new position, plus she can fight if needed. Besides I can't help but feel like those 3 merchant leaders will find out about her dealings with Mahmut's soon.
As it turns out, they know! And they can't do anything about it for the sake of their city.

Quite brilliant of Mahmut Pasha, that. Sure, he started a hatred between two great powers, stopped the Empire's invasion plan and acquired Turkiye a formidable ally, which is decent enough for a few chapters' worth of work -- but more importantly, he's finally got a cute, spunky girl for a party member, and she's totally going to follow him to the end of the world! Magic.
Old 2014-01-03, 17:49   Link #8
RobotCat
In a Box

The newest chapter is pretty hilarious...

Also, the merchant girl totally reminds me of Akira from VVV.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-27, 13:06   Link #9
cupumanager

God, I just found out this in a Comic Cafe, 2 Volumes of them. How could I missed this? Since I just started, I wouldn't comment too much, haven't get deep enough to the series...
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-28, 03:22   Link #10
Jirachier

to be honest I don't like how the current arc is portraying our protagonist. He is a very intelligent and crafty from what we saw in the previous arcs, yet in the present one, just so the other characters get to shine(and in my opinion they're being given too much time under the spotlight, especially the guy in charge of information gathering), the protagonist is being completely unlike himself and is leaving all the decision making to others, even when he talks for example in chapter 52 He was suggesting informing the council of a piece of news they just got, only to be shot down by one of his subordinate who explained to him how it's a bad idea, now I realize that this was made for us readers to understand why the main characters choose not to inform the council, but the roles should've been reversed, he should have been the one explaining why it's a bad idea not the one suggesting the bad idea.
Old 2015-01-06, 15:18   Link #11
Iron Maw
Banned

ch 54-57

4 chapter release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
to be honest I don't like how the current arc is portraying our protagonist. He is a very intelligent and crafty from what we saw in the previous arcs, yet in the present one, just so the other characters get to shine(and in my opinion they're being given too much time under the spotlight, especially the guy in charge of information gathering), the protagonist is being completely unlike himself and is leaving all the decision making to others, even when he talks for example in chapter 52 He was suggesting informing the council of a piece of news they just got, only to be shot down by one of his subordinate who explained to him how it's a bad idea, now I realize that this was made for us readers to understand why the main characters choose not to inform the council, but the roles should've been reversed, he should have been the one explaining why it's a bad idea not the one suggesting the bad idea.
Expect Mahmut has usually made most of the strategies and key decisions so I don't what issue here really is.

Mahmut is a great strategist and is very intelligence, but he's not omnipotent. He can't foresee everything so he won't always have the right awnser. The main value of Kyros and co (besides being worthwhile companions) is that because of their differences in experiences they can offer Mahmut sound advice in places he isn't familiar with. They allow him broaden his thinking which further improves his abilities as military man and diplomat. Lastly it shows that they aren't just decoration, or yesman, but people who have an actual role and contribute significantly when needed. Mahmut like an wise leader values their opinions.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-01-06 at 15:33.
Old 2015-10-19, 03:03   Link #12
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

The L'Isolani arc is the best yet from an artistic perspective. The portrayal of the sea as seen by the "children of the gods" is sheer brilliance from the mangaka.

The main story with Mahmud aside, this arc is a self-contained dramatic play. We've got it all -- a clash of values, genius and ingenuity, heroic combat on a grand scale, sacrifice, climax, betrayal and the consequences of hubris. It even ends with the tears of a god, lamenting the fall of the "hero" and cursing his foe whose triumph heralds a new age of mortals. Classical.
Old 2017-07-12, 21:41   Link #13
blahto

I like the Chielo arc. I even thought that the director's head was the heavenly key xD
blahto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 21:55   Link #14
Ratedhook522

Just read chapter 102 raw and I can't believe what is even going on anymore.
Spoiler for Shokoku no Altair:
Ratedhook522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-17, 01:50   Link #15
KrimzonStriker

Okay, the heck is going on in volume 19? Why did

Spoiler for Vol 19 Spoilers:
Old 2017-07-18, 14:02   Link #16
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

The duchess was never the most loyal in the empire's court.
The bigger question will be why John's underlings are willing to follow her.
But then, nothing can be changed even she came, because Zaganos has shut down all the path that she could take.

Last edited by shmaster; 2017-07-18 at 14:14.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-19, 13:53   Link #17
KrimzonStriker

Spoiler for Vol 19 response:
Old 2017-07-19, 21:36   Link #18
Ratedhook522

This could be seen as the manga coming to an end. The prime minister is finished as well as the empire all thanks to the duchess. As to why she would go towards invading Turkyie could only be the fact that she's one of those warmongering types that don't care if it's a win or lose battle.
Ratedhook522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-10, 04:43   Link #19
blahto

This is madness. So much for Urado having the best cavalry around then again Leledrick have infantries.
Turkye won the siege but at the same time their homeland has been ravaged (if she's successful).
Leledrick successfully capture Turkye capital but the Empire is no more and local citizens will revolt.
It might be nice living in the central countries ^_^
blahto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-11, 19:39   Link #20
KrimzonStriker

Really can't grasp the endgame on her part. Even if Altin falls she won't have a home to return to herself if St. Michael falls as well. At least the sortie itself makes a lot more sense now that I've read the translation, with Louise intentionally sending them to die, and given the circumstance the Duchess' own invasion does make sense, but the capital likely would have held out longer and Louise would have pulled back from committing to the sortie had she let them know ahead of time. My only guess is she'll make some kind of power play after this where she rebuilds an empire of her own from the ashes of both nations, maybe.