AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-21, 20:37   Link #41
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssme80386 View Post
There being only 2 options is due to how the fight was set up.

I would set up fight differently.

Heck, I would change pretty much everything, including the story itself.

The LNs, as they are, seem to be unfit for a direct transfer to a film. If you want the film to be good, that is.
And yet Railgun S is being hailed as, from what I've seen, the highest quality adaptation in the Index series and one of the top picks of the year, both on Asuki and elsewhere.

For good reason too, because the quality of this anime is very high. As for the writing, well... Again, if you don't agree with the way they wrote it and it bothers you so much, then I recommend you stop complaining about the writing in the Episode 15 Discussion / Poll thread (which is technically not the place to be having a broad-reaching discussion like this), and honestly stop complaining about it so verbally period.

You've made your point very clear. You don't like how they wrote this series. You're not going to convince people though. I'm actually required by my own person to inform you that you're factually incorrect by saying that Railgun S is poorly adapted, or written. I recommend you stick to the phrase: "I think it's bad, and it should feel bad." If you continue to say that it is bad, people are going to continue to disagree with you en masse as they have been.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:39   Link #42
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
There being only 2 options is due to how the fight was set up.

I would set up fight differently.

Heck, I would change pretty much everything, including the story itself.

The LNs, as they are, seem to be unfit for a direct transfer to a film. If you want the film to be good, that is.
I don't need it to be good, I want it to be right.

To do justice to the source material should be the top priority of any adaptation and given how favorable the response has been, I would say they chose to make the right move.

There is nothing 'right' about your options... And quite frankly it just comes out as an ego trip in my opinion.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:41   Link #43
ssme80386
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The moment you suggested to change everything that happened in the original two sources for your 'edited' version tells me that you're so out of touch with what the core audience of the show want.
A good movie/anime does not pander to core audience.

A good movie/anime doesn't pander to any audience.

The audience itself chase after a good movie/anime.

Neither do I care about the "core audience".
Old 2013-07-21, 20:43   Link #44
Yye1
Wide Right

hmm i was able to watchthis ep with the manga and index ep

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Old 2013-07-21, 20:46   Link #45
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

And that's the problem right there as well as the source of you 'out-of-touchness'.

You don't care about the audience of the show because you're not the Director, you're not the Writer, you're not even a lowly Animator. You don't have any obligation to anyone but yourself. No responsibilities, no one to answer for- Not the fans, not the sponsors, not anyone. Your reputation isn't on the line and your job doesn't depend on it.

You get to sit comfortably and say whatever you want without any consequences.

And that's why you can suggest something as absurd as completely removing a vital scene.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-07-21 at 21:27.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:49   Link #46
ssme80386
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't need it to be good, I want it to be right.

To do justice to the source material should be the top priority of any adaptation and given how favorable the response has been, I would say they chose to make the right move.
Where have you seen favorable response? In this thread? in ANN's reviews? </sarcasm>

Anyhow I am glad we came to the same conclusion: Railgun2 is both the faithful adaptation of a good book and a bad movie.

Normal for 99% of faithful adaptations of good books into movies.

I'd say that what makes a book good, would make a movie bad. Or something like that.

Last edited by ssme80386; 2013-07-21 at 21:03. Reason: added conlusion
Old 2013-07-21, 20:51   Link #47
Traece
:cool:

Quote:

You seem to be very confused about life in general. Almost every product ever made in this modern world is targeted at a specific audience. You've pretty much asserted that every source of modern entertainment is bad.

When an anime is made, there is most certainly a discussion about who will be the audience of that anime. You cannot make something for entertainment targeted at every single person. It just doesn't work. You can only hope to touch as broad of an audience as possible. Even Western, no, especially Western movies are not targeted at every single person. Even the biggest blockbusters have a specific audience in mind. That's how it works. It's called marketing, and it can and does rule nearly every aspect of selling the product.

When the original work is authored, that author may not be saying to himself, "I want to appeal to fans of oldschool shonen, TEENAGE BOYS!" but he is saying, "I want to write an action series about a male protagonist and I want teenage boys to be able to enjoy it like I did when I was a teenage boy!" A generalization of course, but writing without some sort of audience in mind doesn't typically work out well.

Edit: Again, this isn't really appropriate discussion for this thread. I recommend moving to the general discussion thread or some such thread.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:53   Link #48
Haigon

Quote:
In an artistic way, that's right.

In a marketing way, nope.

Works with great budgets (like Railgun S) needs to have a focus on an audience to lower the risks of bombing, and we already have a solid fanbase of Index, so it's wiser to gave a faithful adapted material to those fans so they buy the BDs and generate income.

That's the easier (and least riskier) way to sell the show.
Old 2013-07-21, 21:04   Link #49
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Where have you seen favorable response? In this thread? in ANN's reviews? </sarcasm>

Anyhow I am glad we came to the same conclusion: Railgun2 is both the faithful adaptation of a good book and a bad movie.

Normal for 99% of faithful adaptations of good books into movies.

I'd say that what makes a book good, would make a movie bad. Or something like that.
That's right, this episode of Railgun S is a faithful adaptation of the source and a good Anime episode.
Old 2013-07-21, 21:04   Link #50
ssme80386
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
In an artistic way, that's right.

In a marketing way, nope.

Works with great budgets (like Railgun S) needs to have a focus on an audience to lower the risks of bombing, and we already have a solid fanbase of Index, so it's wiser to gave a faithful adapted material to those fans so they buy the BDs and generate income.

That's the easier (and least riskier) way to sell the show.
Fine with me. Just don't call bad show good when it's not.
Old 2013-07-21, 21:05   Link #51
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Only if people don't call a good show bad when it's not.

I have my own problems with this season, but this episode isn't one of them.
Old 2013-07-21, 21:21   Link #52
Goldzero

Quote:
its call personal taste IMO, you say its bad i say its good.
Old 2013-07-21, 21:26   Link #53
leukrota

Quote:
Subduing Accelerator and calling The Judgement - how in the world can you call it "going berserk" ??!!
Sorry about that, I confused you with the one suggesting in a previous post that Touma should have held him with his right hand and beaten him senseless.

Anyway, if by any chance Touma understood from Mikoto's research that AC itself was behind everything, then just subduing him and calling Judgement would not help much. It would be just a half-assed "solution", not to mention he would be risking the lives of whoever came from Judgment (Or Anti-skill)

Quote:
Tell me, what was Touma hoping for when going for a fight with Accelerator? Even if he wasn't planning to kill the guy, he would know that for him, for Touma, the fight would be life or death.

Are you saying he was planning to commit suicide? No? Then what were his intentions? Knocking down Accelerator and using right hand to subdue the guy was the only possible thinkable course of actions for Touma. And he didn't do it. Ridiculous.
His intentions? Like I said, Touma is trying to save Accelerator too, he is trying to make him understand that his ways are wrong. And of course no, he is not considering suicide (I'd like to know how the hell you got that from what I said). Ridiculous? maybe, but that's how he does things. (he even gets called on such naivety)

Incidentally, if he manages to get through to Accelerator it would make stopping the experiments an almost certain thing, opposed to the vague assumption that a single fight would convince the scientists.

Quote:
It wasn't a "slight miss". Touma wasn't incapacitated. It wasn't a fleeting chance requiring split-second decision.
I see you didn't even remotely undertand what I was talking about there... Or maybe you're misquoting me on purpose. If it's the former let's leave it at that then since I don't know how to make it clearer, if it's the latter then let's leave it at that anyway since the discussion would be already broken and pointless.
Old 2013-07-21, 21:29   Link #54
SibylEnd
Fighting Dreamer

Exclamation

(replying to general flow of discussion)
really? i can count quite a few cut corners, missed opportunities and misconceptions in this adaption.

the pacing is inconsistant which constanlty disrupts the tone of the action (then again every anime does the: still frame drawn out talk, single action sequence, repeat), in general level 5's are presented as underwhelming with the slow action sequences and poor presentation of power as well as the uninspiring or dynamic animation(even though not much fighting happens). and allot of the darker lore is cut out in the addaption which is required for the direction the entire series takes although this is the addaption that does that the least.

i actually agree with the writing as twelve episodes in and little is accomplished, as the new content added by biribiri doesn't add much other than what we already know and a poorly done and drawn out cameo. misakas dialogue is really bland as all it does is show her ignorant thoughts, approach and impulsive nature to the situation.

although visual elements in the manga gave us some insight into her thoughts this (specifically the despair phases) the studio doens't seem willing to represent misaka the same way they do mugino. and i must say the music is great but the animation doesn't do much animating. overall it does everything the manga did but didn't change much to coincide with the fact that it's supposed to be a anime. in short it's a good anime which captures the core positives of the arc and series but lacks as a adaption.

Last edited by SibylEnd; 2013-07-21 at 21:43.
Old 2013-07-21, 22:06   Link #55
ssme80386
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post

His intentions? Like I said, Touma is trying to save Accelerator too, he is trying to make him understand that his ways are wrong.
And how is he going to accomplish that?

I vaguely remember Touma already had a brush with Accelerator and experienced firsthand that the latter doesn't listen to you unless you punch his lights out. (if I am remembering that scene correctly... maybe I am not....)

So how is Touma going to accomplish that? Somehow?

Are you saying Touma is going to the death fight thinking "eeeh... somehow..."? You call this "naivety"? It's clinical idiocy.

This episode is already bad if you look at it as a piece-of-art/motion picture.

And idiocy of a main character makes a technically bad episode even worse.
Old 2013-07-21, 22:11   Link #56
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:

I vaguely remember Touma already had a brush with Accelerator and experienced firsthand that the latter doesn't listen to you unless you punch his lights out. (if I am remembering that scene correctly... maybe I am not....)
Yeah you are. I have no idea where you got that from.
Old 2013-07-21, 22:13   Link #57
Goldzero

Quote:

Are you saying Touma is going to the death fight thinking "eeeh... somehow..."? You call this "naivety"? It's clinical idiocy.

listen if you don't like the show then just skip it, you are just torturing yourself watching a show that you don't like especially with a character who is taking the spotlight which is obvious that you despise quite allot. you can keep complaining but what well that accomplish besides wasting your time. there are people who are enjoying this and there are those who don't(its called personal taste).
Old 2013-07-21, 22:20   Link #58
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Ah, the arguments are starting to devolve from an analysis of how the production team adapts the original manga to

Quote:
and

Quote:
Okay, we are well-informed that Railgun S, good as it is, is NEVER gonna be at par with a motion picture, let alone a piece of art. But does it matter? NO. As long as we, the viewers, are enjoying how the production team animates key scenes of the Sisters Arc and how Touma beats down Accelerator in the way that should be, we are pleased.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-07-21, 22:20   Link #59
lazydoggamer
Lazy and I know it

Quote:
Stop stating your opinions as facts. It comes off as you being egotistical and close minded. Also after reading your posts it seems to me like you hate how this series tells its stories which makes me question why you are here in the first place.
Old 2013-07-21, 22:23   Link #60
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

You remember a scene that does not exist ?

Quote:

I guess you've conveniently forgotten that he was racing to save Imouto.

That was probably what he was thinking.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-07-21 at 22:41.
Closed Thread