Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-03-29, 17:40   Link #61
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
After all, I want to know the Country of my Favorite Band (I hope that the name Cadillacs rings a bell).
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs! Man, where are you from?! I'm surprised they've spread far behind the borders of Latin America! (or even Argentina!). Not of my personal taste, though. But then again, most of Argentinian music isn't of my personal preference. Might try Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota if you're into Argentinian rock, though. Those guys are a really, really good band.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 10:26   Link #62
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Stockholm, Sweden (I heard Japanese men are considered sexy there...might even fulfill my dreams of getting a blonde Swedish wife!)
I don't want to dissapoint, but I've never ever heard that before. Since I couldn't see any other Swedes in this thread offering advice (a bit unexpected given our overrepresentation on the internet) I'll give you my quick take on Stockholm, Sweden as a tourist destination.

First thing's first. If you're visiting Stockholm from another continent (i.e. travel expenses are high) you might want to consider visiting Stockholm as part of a larger Sweden/Scandinavia trip, to get your money's worth, because Stockholm in and of itself, while being a very nice city, just isn't that big.

When to go: Definitely during summer. June through August provides nice and warm temperatures. The city is also the most beautiful at this time, with green grass in the many parks, and blue water surrounding the 'Old City' area in the city center.

Where to go: For the most part, you want to remain in the city center as there is not much to be found in the outer reaches of Stockholm except suburbs. The Old City area (Gamla Stan) is the main tourist attraction, and is situated nicely on an island right in the middle of the city, as this was where the city originated. There are a few interesting museums in the vicinity where you can see more of the history of the city as well as models of what the city looked like a long long time ago (Stockholm was founded over 700 years ago). Many buildings left in the Old City date back to about the 16th and 17th centuries but the church Storkyrkan dates back almost all the way to the founding of the city.

North of the Old City is the main commercial center of Stockholm and it might be worth a stroll for shopping. I'd also recommend a walk through the park Kungsträdgården just northeast of the Old City.

You should also make a visit to the island Djurgården not that far to the east of the Old City. It can be reached by bus, tram or ferry, of which I reccomend taking the ferry (from the Old City), especially if the weather is nice. The ferry is part of the Stockholm commuting system and is thus free if you've got, say, the one week pass for example. Djurgården houses the most visited museum in Scandinavia, the Vasa museum. It contains one of the best preserved old ships in the world, nearly 400 years old. Though I have not been there in ages, the open air museum Skansen is well worth a visit. It's part zoo and part museum, with lots of old Swedish buildings etc. on display. I would schedule a visit to a Tuesday because then you may be able to catch the live recording of "Allsång på Skansen", a popular sing-along show on tv, broadcasted during summer. There's also an amusement park on Djurgården, though by international standards it may not be the greatest experience in the world.

There are also nice field trips too be had from Stockholm. Another open air museum is situated in Birka, on the island of Björkö in the vicinity of Stockholm. This was an old viking settlement and there still remains traces there from that time. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Another excursion, and possibly the best one at that, is going into the Stockholm archipelago for a day, which is very beautiful, with thousands of islands. Another good reason to go in summertime.

Well, that's my quick rundown on the sites to see, I'm sure I neglected quite a lot.

Have fun in Greece!
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 19:47   Link #63
Mitsu
Momento Mori

I would like to vistit Russia , England ,and South America.
Old 2007-06-06, 18:11   Link #64
Mitsu
Momento Mori

does anyone have any countries they want to visit?

I have a lot of countries I want to visit but I dout I will such as russia and England
!!!Does anyone else have any countries they would like to visit besides japan?
Old 2007-06-06, 19:01   Link #65
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
I've already done the japan things a few times.

Australia for me, South America, particularly brasil, Argentina, and Chile. Mexico
I'd also like to do china one day, and revisit europe I haven't been in a long time.
Carribeans too.
Old 2007-06-06, 20:27   Link #66
DarkT
Banned

Japan, UK, Greece... More or less it /me thinks...
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 20:57   Link #67
AnimeIsAwesome
Someone New

Send a message via MSN to AnimeIsAwesome Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeIsAwesome
hmmmmm........where do I want to Visit???

i guess the places i want to visit is Japan, China, South Korea, and others i guess, too long of a list.....well i do think that these are the places that i rlly want to go and visit so hmmmmm.........i wonder if ill be able to go.
AnimeIsAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 20:59   Link #68
ImClueless
Rawr

Umm theres already a "Countries I'd like to visit other than Japan" thread.
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 21:08   Link #69
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I've hit some of the ones I wanted to reach: Cuba (I'm from the US, but I went legally), Peru, and Guatemala. I'll be returning to Guatemala next year for Spanish school.

For the most part, though I want to visit many places, I only want to visit a country after I've had a chance to learn at least some of their language.

Soon I hope to be visiting Colombia and Brazil, although I'll be accessing them by traveling through rural or jungle regions from Peru. I'm not too keen on Brazil, honestly, because while I'd love to see it, I have ZERO desire to learn Portuguese right now (I can't stand the language.)

I want to see much more of the Hispanic world. I'd especially love to see Argentina.

I'll be visiting Japan next year for Japanese school. My reasons for wanting to visit Japan aren't because I watch anime, though. Not only did I grow up with Japanese family, but I have mission work to do there.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 07:31   Link #70
Ahiru77
あひる

I'm actually from the Netherlands....dont come here if you just want to sightsee and enjoy holidays....

Do come here if your looking for a peacefull and caring country to live in though i kinda heard that the foreign rules stuff is getting more strict here X3

I myself someday want to go to Australia and Amerika. I also want to go to France but that plan has already been taken care of (im nagging to my mother about it ).
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 11:26   Link #71
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Australia for me, South America, particularly brasil, Argentina, and Chile.
Quote:
I want to see much more of the Hispanic world. I'd especially love to see Argentina.
W00t! Two people expressing their desire to visit my country in the same page! What has the world come to!?

Now, if you happen to be passing Buenos Aires, don't hesitate to give me a call . I know I'll be able to show you around better than those stupid tourist guides >_>

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 11:42   Link #72
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Places I'd like to visit...

Places outside the US that I've visited so far:
Spain

US States I've been to/lived in (in no particular order from west to east):
Hawaii
California
Texas (lived here)
Florida
Illinois
Michigan (lived here)
Indiana (currently residing)
Ohio
Tennessee
Pennsylvania
New York, New York
...and Washington, D.C. of course.

Places I'd like to visit one day:

New Zealand
Japan
Korea
France
Germany
Italy (specifically Rome and the Vatican)
Russia
Old 2008-02-16, 17:16   Link #73
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I'm going to be in Rome from next month and any extra advice would be great.

Obviously I am aware of all the famous sites, and cannot wait to experience them. However, to see the full potential of such a prominent place you have to do more than just read FAQs and shit. Just like in my own city, I could probably open your eyes to things that no "tour guide" ever could!

Just figured it could do no harm to ask...
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 17:44   Link #74
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Places I would like to visit:
Japan
Greece
Australia (about time since I have family there)
Egypt
England
Scotland
Ireland
Germany
Russia
Cameroon
China
India
Mexico
Brazil

Places I've been
Most states in U.S.
Philippines
Italy
France
Canada

In regards to Rome, I ended up going there w/ a huge group of kids my age in high school, so of course we were helped by a guide. We were able to get into some churches/cathedrals that most ppl couldn't though since we were a choir group and we were asked to come sing. One thing I would've done over would have been to read up more on the art in the museum and also more about the background of the historical sites. A good portion of the time I didn't realize what I was staring at. Another thing I would have done would have been to study a little bit of Italian: just the basics. A friend of mine and me got separated at one point and nobody around us could speak English....we were very worried and it wasn't until an hour or so later that we found a gov't official who spoke English.
On the flip side, a good idea of our group leader was to let us split up and roam around in groups of threes. That way we'd feel safe exploring places not spoken about by our guide.
My only regret is that because I was w/ a large group, we were on a set schedule. Staying there an extra amount of days would have been very helpful.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 17:53   Link #75
Avantoe
In Memories
*Graphic Designer

I really to love to travel to different places, not so very often i gett the chance to though.
During my life ive been to Argentina Brazil and US opposed to my hometown of Stockholm, Sweden.

I dont really have any specific place i WANT to see( anything exiting will do)
Now that im already typing here, since im going on a trip to Chicago in the end of april, is there anyone here that could give me some advice on what to see while there ?
Avantoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 18:01   Link #76
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia. I've actually been here once before with my cousin last year but it was so amazing I just have to go again.

I have "self-proclaimed" it to be the most beautiful place on earth.

Its the worlds largest salt desert. When the place is covered with water it reflects the sky. The sky is the clearest I've ever seen anywhere else. Purple hills and geysers and there are many weird rock formations.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 18:04   Link #77
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantoe View Post
Now that im already typing here, since im going on a trip to Chicago in the end of april, is there anyone here that could give me some advice on what to see while there ?
Check out wiki's article about Chicago and scroll down to the 'Culture and contemporary life' heading that has 'culture', 'cuisine', 'entertainment and performing arts', and 'tourism' under it. I think it does a pretty good job of highlighting the best places to go while you're there on a short visit.

I'll take this moment to extend an invitation for ppl to visit my state: Alaska! Of course summer is the best time to visit, but for the more adventurous, winter is the way to go I work tourism in the summer, so I figured I should be promoting my home

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 18:41   Link #78
Avantoe
In Memories
*Graphic Designer

Thanks marina ill check that link out!

Alaska sounds fun, however i doubt ill get my parents to pay me a trip there ;D
Avantoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 21:26   Link #79
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Besides Japan:

-Seoul, South Korea. (My dad was born there, and since I'm part Korean, and I enjoy my Korean heritage, I would love to go)
-Norway. It seems like a beautiful place to visit.
-Singapore
-Thailand
-Canada
-Hong Kong
-Peru
UzumakiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 21:31   Link #80
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

I live in Hawaii and I've been to other Pacific islands quite a lot, including Tonga and Fiji. Still have yet to go to Australia or Aotearoa (New Zealand).

Tags
travel