Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-17, 11:32   Link #1
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Politics, Revolution, Historical, and a dash of Romance

I just finished Le Chevalier D'eon and I really enjoyed it. So I'm looking for something similar to that or Rose of Versailles. Preferably based in the past. Location does not matter, Europe, Asia, NA even.

Working for the Government, has a love interest, has to ward off a revolution etc..
Can even be working for the Revolution..
Supernatural is OK too. Feel free to interpret my post however you want.
I really like Politics better then action if that's possible. Angst and Betrayal are great too. I would like the Romance to take backseat to the politics though. A divided opinion of one and her lover, she see's her work as more important and chooses that between the two.

I haven't been able to find any (An Anime) so I'm desperate. Sorry for the request, Thanks in Advance.

EDIT: Will be Checking out Legend of Galactic Heroes - Thanks Roriconfan, Saleh Still looking for something more Politics inclined.

Last edited by Foreshadow; 2009-08-17 at 20:45.
Old 2009-08-17, 11:36   Link #2
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Le Chevalier D'eon is not even half as interesting as the following

Legend of Galactic Heroes (futuristic war drama)
Planetes (futuristic slice-of-life)
12 Kingdoms (fantasy)
The Story of Saiunkoku (Feudal China)
The Vision of Escaflowne (shoujo epic fantasy / sci-fi)
Old 2009-08-17, 11:52   Link #3
Saleh
Inactive

Legend of Galactic Heroes isn't a series you will want to miss. It is a 110 episodes series filled with intrigues, revolutions, romance, galactic battles and interesting characters and autocrats. Also seconding Saiunkoku.

Edit- You might also like Seirei no Moribito even though it doesn't have a revolutionaries, it starts with characters trying to protect the crowned prince when everyone in the empire is trying to slay him to avert evil that might befall on the empire if he lives.Meine Liebe?

Last edited by Saleh; 2009-08-17 at 12:15.
Old 2009-08-17, 12:10   Link #4
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

I haven't seen the animes you were talking about, but it seems like Romeo x Juliet is right up your ally. It's based on Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare, but there are quite a few interesting twists in it.
Old 2009-08-17, 13:18   Link #5
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Zero no Tsukaima and Spice and Wolf should both be fun to watch. Both are sort of in a medieval Europe full of political intrigues, with predominant romantic relationships. In Zero no Tsukaima the politics are between kingdoms, while in Spice and Wolf they are between rival guilds.

And I'll second 12 Kingdoms and Seirei no Moribito.

Code Geass is set in the future with giant robots, but the main character (a noble) is leading a revolution against the government, so it's worth a peek.

You might even want to try Rurouni Kenshin (the TV series or the OVAs). OVAs are set in wartime Japan during a revolution (in the 1850s?), and TV series is set after the revolution, but with revolutionary groups still plotting uprisings. The main character is sort of a government assassin. In general, though, politics do not play a major role and it's more about sword action.

Also consider Princess Mononoke (main character is neutral in a war), and Scrapped Princess (main character on the run from the government). Both are sort of historical fantasy in setting, and are exceptionally good.
Old 2009-08-17, 22:10   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The recently licensed Oh! Edo Rocket is an alternative history set in 1842-43 Japan. At this time the Shogunate had imposed strict regulations on public speech and behavior in the wake of popular uprisings. There's also a terrific main couple so it fits your romance request as well.
Old 2009-08-18, 05:42   Link #7
Niji

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto - a bit of all you want. It has strong ties in history of the Bakumatsu era in Japan, with more than a dash of the super natural. Plenty politics and angst, and some romance. Unfortunately the quality of the epis differ greatly. Still, I consider it one of the best anime I have ever seen.
Closed Thread

Tags
historical, politics, romance