AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-09, 23:57   Link #1
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni

A new manga written by Ryukishi (creator of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni).

Quote:
The April issue of Fujimi Shobo's Monthly Dragon Age magazine has announced on Tuesday that Higurashi: When They Cry creator Ryukishi07 is launching a new horror manga series called Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni (On the Night the Amaryllis Flower Blooms) in the next issue on April 9. Illustrator Nishieda created the original character designs, and Ichirō Tsunohazu is drawing the actual manga art.

There is a collection of Japanese horror stories that has been passed down from generation to generation as the "Seven Mysteries of [Japanese] Schools." However, there is an eighth mystery called "Mesomeso-san" for which the manga offers a new retelling.
I'm looking forward to this, I'm a big fan of Ryukishi's works. Though, I'm kinda sad that this one won't be released in VN form.

Old 2010-03-10, 00:38   Link #2
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Ryukishi must have a thing for making his series titles incredibly similar. =T

Anyway, considering it's a Ryukishi work I'll give it a read if it gets scanlated.

What are these 7 mysteries plus this Mesomeso-san anyway? I tried looking for any info on them at all but my efforts came up dry. =/
Old 2010-03-10, 07:29   Link #3
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I wouldn't say his works are similar. Higurashi and Umineko are completely different, and we still don't know enough about Higanbana to judge.

Old 2010-03-10, 13:42   Link #4
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
I wouldn't say his works are similar. Higurashi and Umineko are completely different, and we still don't know enough about Higanbana to judge.
That's not really what I meant. I meant more in the way of the romanization and pronounciation of the series' titles. xD;

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Know what I mean?
Old 2010-03-11, 11:30   Link #5
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
That's not really what I meant. I meant more in the way of the romanization and pronounciation of the series' titles. xD;

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Know what I mean?
Oh... yeah I've noticed that too. owo;
As soon as I read the title I knew that Ryukishi07 had something to do with it.
This title when written in Japanese is actually mostly kanji though, unlike the other two. :3

Old 2010-03-13, 14:25   Link #6
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
I am a Ryukishi07 fan so this is a must-read. Since it is not titled "When They Cry 5" I am still optimistic that we are getting a new VN series after Umineko.

Quote:
Ryukishi must have a thing for making his series titles incredibly similar. =T
Many writers like giving similar names to their stories.
Old 2010-04-22, 05:17   Link #7
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Higanbana chapter 1(translated)

Old 2010-04-22, 11:06   Link #8
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
I think this manga already managed to become Ryukishi's darkest story up to date...
Old 2010-04-23, 08:34   Link #9
Beruko08
The Shadow of Twilight
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Beruko08
Just read chap 1. The story really got me with dark atmosphere, eerie scenes,etc...
Still, Child abuse has been really popular these days .__.
Old 2010-04-28, 15:58   Link #10
Project_MkUltra

Better then umineko already! I have a feeling that this will be Ryukishi's best story.
Old 2010-05-01, 13:41   Link #11
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruko08 View Post
Just read chap 1. The story really got me with dark atmosphere, eerie scenes,etc...
Still, Child abuse has been really popular these days .__.
I was ok with it until the part she got stepped on near the end ... that was seriously over the top for me.

I don't mind trauma and gritty plot but stepping a child in shit isn't exactly my favorite idea of the breaking point for what I assume to be one of the main characters to go nuts. Needless to say the story doesn't quite impress so far but the art certainly did. That face when she completely broke down in the end is quite win.
Old 2010-05-08, 13:46   Link #12
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I was ok with it until the part she got stepped on near the end ... that was seriously over the top for me.

I don't mind trauma and gritty plot but stepping a child in shit isn't exactly my favorite idea of the breaking point for what I assume to be one of the main characters to go nuts. Needless to say the story doesn't quite impress so far but the art certainly did. That face when she completely broke down in the end is quite win.
I think that the step scene was just to show how poor and miserable Marie is. Because there's always someone who can think "oh, so the teacher abused her, but it's ok, it's not like he's really hurting her so much...".
After reading umineko episode 4 bullying scenes, I noticed that Ryukishi is trying to force us to feel sorry for Ange, now he's probably making us feel sorry for Marie too.

I don't care at all, I liked the chapter. The more this girl suffer, the more violent the murders scenes will be =]

Old 2010-05-10, 00:15   Link #13
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

My my the first chapter's out now eh? I must pay more attention.

Anywho I gave it a read, and my only complaint is that it feels like it's jumping into the problem way too quickly. I had a bit of a hard time trying to figure out what the deal was at first but I get the gist of it now. If it was a little more gradual and built up to these occurances then I'd probably would've had an easier time.

I may have missed it but why are her classmates bullying her in the first place? Moreover, what's the deal with the teacher using her as a sex toy and punching bag? Those actions just kinda seemed to come outta nowhere.

Anyway, as I was expecting some scenes are pretty freaking messed up looking, but that's part of the charm of Ryukishi's works I suppose. =p
Old 2010-05-10, 11:02   Link #14
Tsuchi

Read the episode last night. It somehow managed to change my mood.

This is pretty hardcore shit, and much more straight than any of the other R07 stories. Maybe it's getting directly to the point because the manga will be short or something like that, but I kind of like how fast everything has been set up.

Some members may consider the things seen here over the top, but Higurashi has a couple of scenes which can be considered even worse, in my opinion, like
Spoiler:

What surprises me is the change of behavior from the teacher. Looks like the guy was waiting for any excuse to have a... toy. Yuck. The kids look batshit crazy too.

And oh boy, that creepy doll thing sure looks interesting.

I'm hooked already. Will follow this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_MkUltra View Post
Better then umineko already! I have a feeling that this will be Ryukishi's best story.
Eh? Just with 36 pages?
Old 2010-05-10, 13:30   Link #15
Excorsism

So can I expect like a possible awesome mail lead akin to Battler and K1? Just curious.
Old 2010-05-10, 18:46   Link #16
Project_MkUltra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post

Eh? Just with 36 pages?
Unbelievable, isn't it? 36 pages of this is literally better then the whole umineko franchise.

Let's face it, Umineko is just full of pure and utter fail.
Old 2010-05-10, 19:55   Link #17
ameskitty
Kupo

Oh my...is about all I have to say. Well this was certainly not what I was expecting, to say the least. Instead of cheerful character introductions at the beginning we're just getting an onslaught of dark and it's a bit off-putting, even for a Ryukishi work. The story just wasn't very prominent, aside from the whole thing with the abusive teacher (which was pretty disturbing). Beginning a story with a kick to the face is sometimes good but...I'd at least like a hint of what the -point- of it all is.

Not really a fan of the art, but usually I tend to ignore things like that. Unless the art is really nice, it's always the story that counts.

...I don't really think I'm going to like this, because completely hardcore stories aren't my thing, but I'll follow it at least to see where it's going. And, admittedly, to make sure that the teacher gets what's coming to him. It got me there, at the very least.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A

Last edited by ameskitty; 2010-05-10 at 20:09.
Old 2010-05-13, 16:40   Link #18
sento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_MkUltra View Post
Let's face it, Umineko is just full of pure and utter fail.
Lol no, maybe if you only saw the anime, but lolno anyway.
Old 2010-05-13, 16:55   Link #19
Lostdreams

This manga is so not for little kids... Even though they make it seem that way!
I'll get nightmares...
Old 2010-05-14, 03:49   Link #20
Tsuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sento View Post
Lol no, maybe if you only saw the anime, but lolno anyway.
I thought about answering something like that, yeah, but in the end I decided to not do it.

Maybe he only watched the anime. But even with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
This manga is so not for little kids... Even though they make it seem that way!
I'll get nightmares...
Hm? For it to be set in a school doesn't really mean that it looks "for little kids".

The first pages show a girl getting strangled. Dunno man, that's not something I'd think as "something for little kids"!
Closed Thread

Tags
horror, shounen