AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 19:38   Link #2321
Kazu-kun

^ Like I said, even Souma, who had been sulking about the death of his dad for half the first season got over Sonia's death fairly easily at the end. That's okay, it's called character development: the guy got emotionally stronger. But Yuna had been portrayed to be emotionally tougher than Soma and the others since the beginning, so having her being all hesitant now goes against her established characterization.

Anyway, at this point we're just rehashing the argument. Let's agree to disagree and move on.
Old 2013-04-21, 21:29   Link #2322
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

ouma had almost no trauma to overcome since he wasn't attached to Sonia. Yuna did. Even Eden was shocked by Aria's death and needed some episodes before making 180 degree turn. Koga was also shocked by Aria's death but he decided to continue fighting without actually overcoming it (at least until defeating Abzu).

There is really no rule of who is the strongest character or how a person matures. A person can get stronger when facing hardships but can go back when faced with something more serious (take Koga's entire development as he got stronger and weaker with certain scenes). I don't find any issue as a result.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 21:39   Link #2323
Birdway
Banned

The same happened to Shiryu, he saw people suffering yet goes crybaby and emo after Hades, even Touma found it disgusting.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 23:03   Link #2324
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^ Like I said, even Souma, who had been sulking about the death of his dad for half the first season got over Sonia's death fairly easily at the end. That's okay, it's called character development: the guy got emotionally stronger. But Yuna had been portrayed to be emotionally tougher than Soma and the others since the beginning, so having her being all hesitant now goes against her established characterization.
Souma and Sonia weren't so close that he would feel incredibly bad about her dying. He felt bad, but not that bad. It makes sense for Yuna to feel that way based on her background and what happened to her. She's lived in a warzone, and she saw the horrors of the land of the dead thanks to Schiller.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 23:20   Link #2325
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
It makes sense for Yuna to feel that way based on her background and what happened to her. She's lived in a warzone, and she saw the horrors of the land of the dead thanks to Schiller.
If she couldn't handle it she would have broken down at that time. Her attitude in this episode goes against her established characterization.

We're rehashing the argument and I'm getting tired. Can we move on now?
Old 2013-04-21, 23:21   Link #2326
Miraluka
Banned

What if Subaru tried to cheer up Yuna?

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 00:00   Link #2327
Justin_Brett

Some people are saying Ryuho will be out of character too next episode from the preview's summary.

And of course Haruto's now a rock star because...because he is.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 00:02   Link #2328
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Funny how they keep making fun of Subaru, now being outrun by Kouga and Souma. He's definitely gonna be something big.

Quote:
Her attitude in this episode goes against her established characterization.
It doesn't. In fact, bring back her traumatic past backgrounds and seeing how it affected her in the present was a great move, since her backstory was kinda forgotten in the 2nd half of the first arc. Same for her skills of reading stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
There is really no rule of who is the strongest character or how a person matures. A person can get stronger when facing hardships but can go back when faced with something more serious (take Koga's entire development as he got stronger and weaker with certain scenes). I don't find any issue as a result.
Pretty much this. I guess some people don't understand what character development is. They just want a character to follow a straight A----B line like a robot.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 00:19   Link #2329
Ozuma

@Kazu-Kun

People would stop attacking you, if you didn't have such a incredibly flawed argument for criticizing Yuna's character.
Ozuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 04:49   Link #2330
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozuma View Post
People would stop attacking you
No one is attacking me, or are you attacking me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozuma View Post
if you didn't have such a incredibly flawed argument for criticizing Yuna's character.
lol My take on the character is not flawed even if you disagree with me, you know.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-04-22 at 05:23.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 08:53   Link #2331
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
If she couldn't handle it she would have broken down at that time. Her attitude in this episode goes against her established characterization.
She didn't break down when she fought Schiller, because she was busy fighting to save the world.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 09:21   Link #2332
Kazu-kun

^ She didn't break down because it wasn't in her character to do so. They never even hint or foreshadow anything like that.
Old 2013-04-22, 11:04   Link #2333
Magia

Quote:
^ She didn't break down because it wasn't in her character to do so. They never even hint or foreshadow anything like that.
She completely freaked out in the Underworld whenever she saw those zombies, ran away and even screamed. There was even a brief moment where she had a flashback to the war which triggered that freak out. If Kouga didn't show up to help her out in the Underworld, then she would've mentally crumbled. Then she was looking pretty traumatized while fighting her friends before all of that happened. And let's not forget that she showed the most emotion over Aria's demise. Then even before fighting Abzu alone, she hesitated but recalled a flashback with Pavlin to get herself psyched up. You make it sound like Yuna is supposed to be a boring invincible hero or a machine who isn't shaken up by anything.

Yuna may be strong willed, but she's still a young girl who has seen a lot. After adjusting to peace for a year, anyone would be hesitate or afraid to go back to a war because of the suffering they went through and seen. I can understand the Yuna favoritism, but it's getting annoying at this point. I personally think it's refreshing seeing her hesitating and being afraid (as long as they don't overdo it) since it makes her resolve shine even brighter. That makes her more interesting as a character.
Magia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 13:38   Link #2334
belxebu

Quote:
On another note, I noticed that Yuuna overpowered the two Pallasites fairly easily from the moment she decided to fight seriously, even though she still wasn't wearing her new cloth. That makes Soma look pretty bad, considering his lack of fighting prowess in episode 53.
Well, that is because She is the Shiryu of this series, she don't really need the Cloth to kick asses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
The same happened to Shiryu, he saw people suffering yet goes crybaby and emo after Hades, even Touma found it disgusting.
This proves it
belxebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 19:30   Link #2335
Ozuma

@Magia

Exactly!

Yuna can be just as many hesitant moments as the others do at times.
Ozuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 22:24   Link #2336
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
Funny how they keep making fun of Subaru, now being outrun by Kouga and Souma. He's definitely gonna be something big.
Now that you mention it, ever paid attention to this scene from the opening?

It's Saturn.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 22:46   Link #2337
Parry999

How is he even keeping up they're faster then light.
Parry999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 10:28   Link #2338
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Just watched ep 54, and I do think that Yuna was handled badly there. I don't think that having her hesitate is something that should be impossible or out of character, especially after such a tough battle and a year of peace, but they could have written it a lot better and I suspect that the story suffered from being shoved into only one episode. I think it would have been better to see her in her home town, and perhaps show her feeling lulled by and accustomed to the now-peaceful situation there, rather than just be briefly told about it. But that would have required more screen time than was available. I'd have liked to see her reaction when she was living happily in her hometown but then read the stars and realised that there was going to be another fight. That would have rounded out the situation.

Things that seemed strange/badly written:

- Kiki assuring Souma that he would be able to use his cloth because he didn't sense any uncertainty and also because he'd awakened to the 7th sense in the previous battle. (Well, Yuna had awakened to that too.)

- Yuna lacked the resolve to fight because she was scared of getting hurt...even when the Pallasite twins were clearly aiming to kill her? Although she was thinking she'd suffer in future fights, she could still have got killed right there if she didn't fight.

- Yuna's resolve returned instantly once Kouga basically told her he thought she was acting OOC and reminded her what her goals are and that it's strange for her not to save Raki. Even though she's been living determinedly with her goals for so long, she forgot them enough that she didn't think she could fight with them and needed to re-swear her vows? But she already had enough resolve to go to Kiki to try to get her Cloth fixed for the upcoming fight.

I think I would have bought the situation better if Yuna had found her true resolve after seeing Raki in instant peril, rather than Kouga's words restoring it and then Raki being in peril.

Things that were nice:

- Raki and Yuna's interaction was really cute, and Raki was great when she decided to defend Yuna. What a kid. She'll be a great Aries saint one day, assuming she follows in Kiki's footsteps.

- It was nice seeing Kouga emotionally supporting Yuna given all the time Yuna spent supporting him last season. Pep talks are go.

- Yuna's cosmo being so strong that she could stop the Pallasites in their tracks even before her Cloth went on was impressive. Also, her cloth looked a lot better than I'd expected.

For general comments on Season 2, I really liked Seiya. I never saw the original series, but he's pretty cool here. Pallas seems an interesting antagonist. Subaru is annoying but will probably be the host to some sort of god if he isn't already, so I expect he'll improve.

Rock star Haruto is going to be the highlight of the series. I demand there be silly outfits.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 10:54   Link #2339
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
Rock star Haruto is going to be the highlight of the series. I demand there be silly outfits.
Don't forget crazy make-up .
Old 2013-04-25, 16:17   Link #2340
Laevatein

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
So, they've decided to incorporate the "wail on their guitars" aspect of his ninja background?
Laevatein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen