Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-03-19, 09:26   Link #9821
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiD View Post
I was thinking of getting into this series by watching the anime first, which covers the first five volumes and makes it easier to finish reading the rest of the volumes. Three episodes in and I already want to slap the hell out of Erica. She is so annoying. Please tell me she isn't this clueless about Godou's feelings for her in the light novel.
Err, I don't get your meaning. It's the other way around actually.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 09:43   Link #9822
Hidfe

Quote:
I was thinking of getting into this series by watching the anime first, which covers the first five volumes and makes it easier to finish reading the rest of the volumes.
That plan is not going to work out. You would have to read Volume 3 and 5 anyway because too much is changed. They also left out certain stuff from the other ones.
In general the Anime is total garbage and shouldn't be even seen. Just start by Volume 1 if you have the intention to read the LN.
Hidfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 10:39   Link #9823
Ickarium

I'd argue that the anime is pretty darn good, for what it is. There are definite changes, but the anime is hardly garbage by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited to Add: As for Erica, I'm not sure what you mean. Godou actually -does- like Erica, he just has, um, issues. The LN go into detail on why, more explicitly.
Old 2014-03-19, 11:55   Link #9824
RpR1337
fun^10*int^40=Ir2

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Maestro View Post
Looks like there will be another trouble from Doni that Godou will be participating in.
Doni's starting to get annoying he might need one more ass whipping from Godou. And he's getting faster at regenerating to boot.
Please author, just let KotE kill dat idjit alredy! xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
I'm sorry. She's way too young for Godou, being twelve to his sixteen-seventeen. But Hikari is awesome. :P
Screw age limits! Hikari's the brightest out of all the girls, having not one single misfit of a characteristic. To be honest, even if Hikari's so young, I still enjoy reading about her time together with Godou the best (but, to be frank, and still be honest, the superficial vuw-vuw madness knight Liliana puts up quite the fight ).

Quote:
I was thinking of getting into this series by watching the anime first, which covers the first five volumes and makes it easier to finish reading the rest of the volumes. Three episodes in and I already want to slap the hell out of Erica. She is so annoying. Please tell me she isn't this clueless about Godou's feelings for her in the light novel.
There are just a few misconceptions on what you said.
1. If you're trying to get into the series, I suggest you start with reading the novel in chronological order. It's easier to do it that way, and it's more fun imho. Also, do NOT skip the short story volumes (the "Seeking the legendary demon lord Campione" or whatever, the one with Fuyuhime in it still takes the cake for me). They're FUN. Totally worth the time.
2. It doesn't really cover the first five volumes, and that's exactly why I'm saying to start with reading the novels in chronological order. F.e. the first chronological volume (was it the 6th?) is given one damn episode, the first, to be exact, and most of what happens in episode one doesn't even have the slightest relation to that volume whatsoever. It's just a pilot episode for the series that has two common points with the novel: Godou meets Erica, and Godou kills Verethragna. And that's it. Virtually everything else is anime original.
3. Erica's not clueless. To be exact, she knows the most, being able to evaluate Godou's position the first time she goes to the Kusanagi residence, approximately five minutes into the game. She's also a devil in Prada, manipulating everything around her. So yeah, she's the farthest in the novel from being clueless. Although if you want to make a list of "clueless individuals", probably only Erica, Amakasu, Hikari, Ichirou and Kaoru wouldn't fit the bill. So get ready for one hell of a joyride sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidfe View Post
In general the Anime is total garbage and shouldn't be even seen. Just start by Volume 1 if you have the intention to read the LN.
And as for you bro, you should try watching that anime again, not as an adaptation which mimicks the novels (which it admittedly isn't), but a 12 episode anime mostly based on the novels, with lots of original content. Believe me, it isn't a far fetched thing to say that it's an awesome series.
But whatever, saying it's "garbage" and "shouldn't be seen" ... well, I beg to differ. I love the novels, and have watched 820+ anime series (yeah, the exact numbers gave even me a fright), but rarely have I seen a series better than Campione!.

Let us remember the victims of Domestic Violence.
RpR1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 12:29   Link #9825
Kadi
知識の探求者

Well, I can't enjoy the anime... the action generally doesn't do it for me (too slow, talky, badly animated) and I can't get the characters' original characters out of my head, so they don't do it for me either... not to mention the lack of all the little jabs and overturned concepts that I see in Campione. That being said, on its own it may have been one of the better series that year. And that being said, I recommend starting with Vol 1 anyway. There are so many references and callbacks later on, it's a shame to miss them (even if quite a few are probably lost, given the current translation quality of the early volumes)

*back to translating, related to Campione, some... not exactly unrelated*
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 13:09   Link #9826
RpR1337
fun^10*int^40=Ir2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
Well, I can't enjoy the anime... the action generally doesn't do it for me (too slow, talky, badly animated) and I can't get the characters' original characters out of my head, so they don't do it for me either... not to mention the lack of all the little jabs and overturned concepts that I see in Campione. That being said, on its own it may have been one of the better series that year. And that being said, I recommend starting with Vol 1 anyway. There are so many references and callbacks later on, it's a shame to miss them (even if quite a few are probably lost, given the current translation quality of the early volumes)

*back to translating, related to Campione, some... not exactly unrelated*
Meh ... I've read the stuff in volume order twice, and read it in chronological order three times, so I can't really say how it's better. I've had too much free time these three years. About damn time to get my diploma for doing almost nothing

Let us remember the victims of Domestic Violence.
RpR1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 13:17   Link #9827
Ickarium

I'm boggling at someone saying Campione! overturns concepts, really. It's pretty standard in most respects. It's /fun/ and entertaining, but there's really nothing particuarly subversive about it. It follows nearly all the usual shonen harem tropes.
Old 2014-03-19, 13:56   Link #9828
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
I'm boggling at someone saying Campione! overturns concepts, really. It's pretty standard in most respects. It's /fun/ and entertaining, but there's really nothing particuarly subversive about it. It follows nearly all the usual shonen harem tropes.
Not really. Campione does subvert certain popular tropes, especially the Campiones themselves. It's not an outright deconstruction, but that's not the only way to subvert things.

Old 2014-03-19, 14:15   Link #9829
Kadi
知識の探求者

Campione expressly makes fun of shounen power-up source number one, "power-ups through love/wanting to protect," and does away with power levels (for gods/campione) and training... that's pretty fundamental, I think. Then there's other stuff, too, that I'm too lazy to remember.

Okay, usually I phrase what Campione does as "poke fun at ~~", but my head is currently elsewhere~~ So sue me
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 01:50   Link #9830
Feng Lengshun
Old Wine

Spoiler for On the Series, LN and Anime:

Spoiler for On Campione's powers and tropes:
Feng Lengshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 08:10   Link #9831
Vezon

Another update. It was nice to see old man Zamparini. He really is desperate to get Godou favor!
Old 2014-03-20, 09:01   Link #9832
II Maestro

Quote:
I've been inspired slightly to resolve myself to escape the next time I see her.
Shizuka is scary to think that a misogynist such as Yinghua would run away if he sees her.

Hahaha ... Old Man Zamparini is amazing offering his granddaughter to Godou despite turning two here I thought Hikari would be the youngest in his harem.

Looking forward to Erica, Yuri, Liliana, & Ena's reaction to Old Man Zamparini offering his granddaughter to get Kusanagi Godou's influence.
Old 2014-03-20, 09:50   Link #9833
bakapervert
A pervert

^ I think Yinghua's reaction is more because of who Shizuka's brother is.
bakapervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 10:07   Link #9834
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakapervert View Post
^ I think Yinghua's reaction is more because of who Shizuka's brother is.
That's part of it, but there wouldn't be an issue if Shizuka wasn't that kind of person to begin with.

Anyway, Zamparini is as ridiculous as always, making sure to set up future influence with Godou.

Looking at this update, I'm reminded again that in a certain way Doni really is the most reasonable Campione after all...

Old 2014-03-20, 10:20   Link #9835
II Maestro

Rather than Godou becoming a lover he will instead become a baby-sitter of Zamparini's granddaughter.
Old 2014-03-21, 05:06   Link #9836
Trung-t-rung

Part 5 is on now. Thanks, zzhk.
Damn, Godou is able to resist Erica once more. Even though he is just a moment away from doing the deed.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 05:06   Link #9837
Vezon

Woo hoo! Another update!
Oh my! what a development between Godou and Erica. It's so sweet, so unbearable sweet!!!
Old 2014-03-21, 06:01   Link #9838
Chris38

Yeah, the latest update definitely has some nice Erica X Godou moment.

And while he managed to barely resist the temptation ... to me his resistance is definitely starting to crumble ... so the question is .... when he is going to fail to resist them

Since, I think it's only a matter of time
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 08:29   Link #9839
bakapervert
A pervert

^ What resistance? He definitely already throw away and destroy all that bullshit about being 'just friend' with the girls. Now the only obstacle before Godou can cross the line is only his immature self, he feel he still need to grow some more before he can really give up to temptation and not dulling his fang in the process.
bakapervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-21, 08:38   Link #9840
Vezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakapervert View Post
^ What resistance? He definitely already throw away and destroy all that bullshit about being 'just friend' with the girls. Now the only obstacle before Godou can cross the line is only his immature self, he feel he still need to grow some more before he can really give up to temptation and not dulling his fang in the process.
Godou acting appropriate after all he only 16 and only known Erica for not even a year. To ask Erica to wait is pretty mature imo.

Tags
action, campione, ecchi, godslayer, harem, light novel, myth, romance, sd bunko, shounen, supernatural, time travel, true harem