AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2015-09-26, 01:52   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

New Reviews & Recommendation Section!

You probably already saw the announcement, but it's now live!

Quote:
Hi everyone! We're excited to open our newly-restructured Reviews & Recommendations section on AnimeSuki. This change expands on the already-active Suggestions forum with a number of new features to help make it easier for everyone to find anime, manga, light novels, visual novels and more that may interest them (and to avoid those that probably won't!).

Here are the three main things you need to know:
  1. In the main Reviews & Recommendations Forum you'll see a large number of pre-made threads that cover a huge range of genres and special traits that people often use to look for media they'll enjoy. Please help us out by filling out these threads with your personal recommendations for things people should try! The more people participate, the better our recommendation threads will get! If there's a category that isn't listed, feel free to request it.

2. For things that don't fit nicely into any of these boxes, you can always use the Custom Requests section. This is the same as what our Suggestions forum has been so far. Use it to rely on the wisdom of the crowd to find works that meet your specific preferences! Even of you don't want to make a request yourself, please hang out to help others find what they're looking for!

3. Last but not least, we've added a brand new section for Reviews. If you're an aspiring writer or critic and would like to offer your thoughts about media you recently watched, read, or experienced, we welcome your review! Please check out this thread for some guidance on the sort of things we're looking for in a review, and what to avoid (like careless spoilers!).

With everyone's help and participation, we really hope we can build a useful and convenient "one-stop-shop" for people to be connected with media they'll enjoy, with insightful well-written reviews, easy-to-find recommendations, and a place for people to share their unique personal requests. Thanks in advance for your participation in helping to grow this valuable resource. Thanks also to the members of the community who recommended these improvements and gave the feedback that helped it finally take shape. If you have more feedback on ways we can improve the forum, please post it in our Forum & Site Feedback section.

If you have any feedback specific about this section or how we can make it better, feel free to post in this thread.
Old 2015-09-26, 06:39   Link #2
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

This is purely optional. But can the number of users who review certain media be limited? For an example. Instead of having 10+ more people review the same series. We have a limit on it. What I am saying is (which is somehow covered in your review rules thread) we don't have multiple threads for the same series.

Of course this may pose a slight problem for professional reviewers who wish to have their own thread...

Or something along those lines?
Old 2015-09-26, 12:53   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
This is purely optional. But can the number of users who review certain media be limited? For an example. Instead of having 10+ more people review the same series. We have a limit on it. What I am saying is (which is somehow covered in your review rules thread) we don't have multiple threads for the same series.

Of course this may pose a slight problem for professional reviewers who wish to have their own thread...

Or something along those lines?
I guess we'll see how it goes. The idea of the way we did it was based on the discussion in this thread. It isn't our expectation that we're going to get dozens of people wanting to spend the time writing the style/depth of reviews we're hoping for in that section. Allowing each reviewer to create their own thread was so that people could begin to get to know the reviewers and start to look for reviews by writers they trust. So in that sense, having lots of reviews about the same show isn't necessarily a problem; it gives you various opinions to consider.

I also don't really know if there's a good way to control what people want to write about. If someone spent the time to write it, I think we should allow them to post it. If that means everyone's posting reviews of popular-show-of-the-day, and no one for the rarer stuff, then I guess it's an opportunity for someone to try to fill the gap.

Anyway, like I said, let's see how it goes first.
Old 2015-09-28, 14:38   Link #4
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
How do we treat a series with multiple seasons? It often may not make sense to review a second season of something when knowledge of the previous season is required. There are certain differences with like say, Clannad and Clannad After Story, and something like Fate/Zero that is split cour. In either case, treating each section like a separate entity doesn't seem fair.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 21:21   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
How do we treat a series with multiple seasons? It often may not make sense to review a second season of something when knowledge of the previous season is required. There are certain differences with like say, Clannad and Clannad After Story, and something like Fate/Zero that is split cour. In either case, treating each section like a separate entity doesn't seem fair.
I think it should be assumed that reviews for a sequel will openly reference things that happened in the previous season(s). You could still review each separately, but they build progressively on each other. For example a review of Nanoha A's would assume you also saw the first season of Nanoha,

That said, in a review of Fate/Zero, you shouldn't assume people have watched Fate/stay night, for example, unless you specifically call it out in advance.