AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-19, 00:37   Link #241
blewin

I haven't watched the OVA but I know the plot, so it's ok watching 1st episode and not judget it yet, knowing they're scenes from the OVA.

It's when the series picks up on its own from the OVA that would tell how good the anime is.

So far, I like the story and the characters (except for Munto's outfit).
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 07:02   Link #242
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Yeah, I agree with most that this material works better as an OVA than a TV series. I always kinda saw Munto as an exercise in style. It was an experiment in animation that was cutting edge for its time. The OVAs were limited in time, and to the point, but they were always more about atmosphere and aesthetics than they were about plot, which, as we were reminded in this episode, was convoluted to say the least. Which is why the open-ish endings of both the original OVAs worked; they didn't matter all that much, compared to the experience. The calls for sequels for Munto always kinda baffled me...

This doesn't look as good as the OVAs (IMO, KyoAni's animation has been on the slide since Clannad... maybe it's a case of us being so used to them setting the bar in animation that, now that they're not in the top tier anymore, their flaws are becoming more apparent, but I genuinely think that their works post-Lucky Star lack the same polish as their works pre-Lucky Star). It's not as atmospheric as the OVAs (and a week's break every 25 minutes doesn't exactly help things). The plot's just as convoluted, but the expectation is that it has to be more expansive now that it's been given however many episodes. It'll definitely need to rely on its characters to work, since they are a relative strong point for this series, but it'll be four or five episodes before we find out anything new about them. I'm not prepared to make a call on this anime. It doesn't have the same potential as some other shows airing this season, but I may as well flip a coin if I wanted to make a prediction if this is going to be good or not. The indications both ways are pretty much equal.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 07:07   Link #243
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
This doesn't look as good as the OVAs (IMO, KyoAni's animation has been on the slide since Clannad... maybe it's a case of us being so used to them setting the bar in animation that, now that they're not in the top tier anymore, their flaws are becoming more apparent, but I genuinely think that their works post-Lucky Star lack the same polish as their works pre-Lucky Star).
Though I agree with everything you said in the brackets.. how isn't this as good as the OVAs.. when it's the exact same footage with slight improvements here and there? Maybe you're thinking of Munto 2 which looked a lot better than Munto 1...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 15:56   Link #244
FireChick

I watched the TV first episode, and I have to say, I really liked it! The quality was better, the voices were good, the OP/ED were just beautiful, and...well, it was good! I noticed some differences between this and the original OVA, which I did see. There's some new footage, some scenes were cut, 90% of the dialogue was the same, and the music is different too. But I wonder...why is it that they don't make a completely new episode with the new art? Not that I don't like the old art, I'm just wondering. Yumemi and Suzume's voices were cute! Toche sounds a WHOLE lot better than in the OVA. I think I'll watch this!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 23:54   Link #245
kimchipride
Geass User

Why are some of you guys criticizing the art quality? This stuff is 6 years old so you can't compare this to the recent OVAs like Lucky Star. Wait for 3 or 4 more eps where the OVA content will be finished.
Old 2009-01-20, 00:13   Link #246
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

...Gotta be honest, as one who did not know they were cutting the OVA's for the first 4 tv episodes...

I enjoyed it. I can handle pacing like this and the sudden scene transitions. I find it has a decent bit of immersion to it.

Plus, that comment about Yumemi having that beauty to her with the earrings on, I agree entirely. It gives her a mature look and overall, I really just like the characters, granted I know little about them, a lot.

So, I look forward to all of this coming to fruition in the 5th episode. I have... a very good feel about this and maybe it's just the intro doing it, but I'm... looking forward to future episodes, really.

Sure KyoAni's just done adaptations for now, but it'll help, won't it?
SnackPacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 01:54   Link #247
cloudninja

I never saw the OVAs so I had no preconceived expectations about the tv series and can't be as disappointed as other people about the OVA footage being re-used for the initial episodes. It does sound cheap for them to do so, they're probably under pressure to cut costs because of economic conditions.

I thought the first episode was above average. For me it was hard to tell how good it's going to be, there were times I felt that I was watching a somewhat generic show and other parts where I felt like it could lead to something special. It's enough to keep me interested in seeing how things turn out. The characters do seem to look a bit more mature in the OP.
cloudninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 02:05   Link #248
Yushi

At first, I was a bit 'meh' about the new animation and music of the OP and Ed.
And now....I'm addicted to it *_* I can't stop watching them over and over and liking it more and more.... XD
Yushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 03:37   Link #249
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

I agree with cloudninja about how having no preconceived ideas from the OVA makes me not disappointed. XD But it seems I should have paid more attention to the OP/ED....oopsies.
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 08:30   Link #250
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Eh, comparing OVAs to a TV series is silly. Obvious gaps in pacing and budget. That said, the TV show still looked pretty beautiful to me. No major mishaps of any type and everything looks crisp. I honestly don't think the studio has had any drops in quality, ever. They're just consistent as I see it, even if that means it's usually something we may expect out of them. If it's an anime that can have eyepopping visuals from time to time, it's usually Sunrise (when they pump HUGE budgets into a show), Gonzo (like if they get truly serious like with Afro Samurai) and of course, Madhouse. But for everyday shows, KyoAni is pretty damn good IMO. The first ep of Munto TV didn't disappoint as far as the adaptation aspect goes.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 09:30   Link #251
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Yeah, but a couple of years ago, people weren't referring to KyoAni shows as "everyday shows", they were comparing them favourably to series from any of the three studios you mentioned, animation-wise. I really think that KyoAni has slipped. In '05 and '06 they were doing stuff that was cutting edge for TV animation, presenting a range of detail and motion with a level of consistency I wasn't even sure was possible at the time. Lucky Star had good animation in fits and spurts, but it wasn't exactly "challenging" material to animate, and its style wasn't susceptible to great art. Clannad lacked the polish of previous KyoAni works (except for the Illusionary World scenes obviously), and After Story has been noticeably inconsistent for a KyoAni work on both the art and animation fronts. The animation in this isn't bad, per se, but it's not as fluent as what I remember from the OVA (the fact that the OVA is more than five years old makes it what I would have thought a fair comparison) and some of the art is a tad simplistic (arguably that's an unfair criticism, but it does limit this show's potential for visual "beauty").

I'm just not sure KyoAni is the force in quality TV animation it was a couple of years ago. Munto TV may yet be consistent, which will be an improvement over what we've seen so far from After Story, but it'll surprise me if we talk about it's animation with the same reverence as how we talk about the animation in Air, Suzumiya Haruhi and FMP!TSR.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 10:04   Link #252
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Oh yeah, I agree. People in many forums (/a/...) really put them on a pedestal after Air and Full Metal Panic sequel/OVAs.

I think for a good reason, because back then, they were pushing the envelope a bit. After a while, they sort of leveled out. It's still very good animation in my eyes, but not challenging. I think KyoAni animating Munto as a TV show is a good challenge for them already.

But yeah, the other studios, add maybe even Gainax and Satelight, can go totally crazy with the animation experimentation. KyoAni is still solid to me, just not as some kind of animation frontrunners. I wouldn't exactly say they've slipped though. Again, just leveled out a bit and without some sort of a solid challenge. Definitely not quite the same in the experimentation and challenge level as Studio 4°C tends to tackle all the time.
Old 2009-01-20, 11:14   Link #253
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would still like to remind people that what we are seeing for now is the OVA animation. The 'new stuff' will start rolling in after episode 5 or so, when they will have reached the end of OVA material. Whether what comes after that will be better received than the second OVA material(which basically has Air quality) is hard to say at this point, as the only place where we can decently observe the new animation for now is the OP. So it will still be some time before we can conclude what Munto TV will actually look like.
Old 2009-01-20, 11:29   Link #254
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Too true. Can't wait to see how all this talk actually redeems KyoAni to some peoples' eyes or not. And yeah, judging by the OP actually.
Old 2009-01-20, 11:59   Link #255
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I think most people expect too much from KyoAni. I knew their animation quality would slip eventually, so I'm not complaining much. Most of the time, it wasn't the animation quality that went down, it was because Clannad AS used different art directors, so the animation would looked different.

Most people watching Munto TV would most likely watch this because it's animated by KyoAni. I managed to bribe this friend of mine to watch it, because I allowed her have my research for my course work from last year . She hasn't even seen Haruhi or Lucky Star, so she would have a solid non-biased opinion, other then that she likes romance and drama and not much of an anime fan. I'm just interested to see what would a 'normal' watcher would think of Munto. Most people are biased one way or another. I'm like it because I'm probally a KyoAni fangirl, and other people expect ALOT out of KyoAni and would be easily disapointed.

I remember once upon a time I was so amazed with AIR's animation. I never seen such detailed AND fluent animation in my memory. Afterwards I was greatly dissapointed with AIR movie by Toei, because how could the TV series have better animation then the movie.
Old 2009-01-20, 12:07   Link #256
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Anyone noticed the skirts got shortened by alot? Looks fresh and sexy. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 12:12   Link #257
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
Anyone noticed the skirts got shortened by alot? Looks fresh and sexy. ^^
In the anime itself? No, perhaps not until the new material. In the OP and ED, yes.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 15:20   Link #258
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

SoraMiage=The funniest non-gag anime this season

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 16:35   Link #259
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm surprised to see people making animation quality the key issue here. The way I see it that should be the least of worries as far as this show goes. The very first thing that needs taking care of is to transition the OVA story into the TV one and to really hit the ground running with properly defining the setting and characters since right now the pacing is pretty hectic.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 21:36   Link #260
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
just watched the raw of ep. 2.

It ends on the lake scene. The way things are going it'll take another 24 minutes to end OVA 1 so expect it to end next episode.

So... They are making it 3 episodes per OVA eh.. So 6 episodes for the OVA to finish. I don't think this will be 24 episodes... KyoAni has a new anime this spring(a gag manga adaptation). I expect it between 12-13 episodes.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy